Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
mic*
Regular

July 2005
My idle problem Mon, 31 October 2005 01:53 Go to next message
ppl,

Any tips are appreciated in advance.

Pulled the S/C off the 1G-GZE on the weekend. As far as i can see everything is rock stock on this motor.

After taking it off, basically to say hello, get aquainted, and change her fluid, i went about putting it back together.

S/C goes in. Throttle body assembly with ISCV goes back in. All seems well.

When i start it, it revs harder (closed throttle) then drops back down to a very lumpy idle (sounds like a drag cam setup or something). It basically sounds tough. Idles at 600rpm and at very even intervals - one sec approx - jumps up to 1000 rpm. The car will not stall, even in drive.

Of course i thought vacuum leak... But i have meticulously checked all the hoses, and all couple of hundred of them are securely back in place. I suspected ISCV may be stuck closed or just plain rooted, so i pulled it off while engine was running hoping to see little change, but engine died immediately.

The only electrical that was touched (disconnected & reconnected) was TPS, ISCV, S/C relay, and what appears to be a solenoid that controls 3 vaccum lines on the S/C - dunno what this is exactly.

I am a little stumped, but since everything is back the way it was, no new parts, no modifications, i hope that this is something simple that all you clevers chaps can make me look stupid for not working it out.

It is worth noting that when i test drove it last nite, S/C makes better boost. Everything drives fine - car goes well - it just idles like a top fueller.
  Send a private message to this user    
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: My idle problem Mon, 31 October 2005 02:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
it is possible that the tps got moved in the process and may need an adjustment other than that the 1ggze is afm???
if it is you could have a leak after the afm and b4 the s/c
mic*
Regular

July 2005
Re: My idle problem Mon, 31 October 2005 02:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It is AFM... Confused Confused

That is what i initially thought. Leak between AFM and inlet. Have searched and cant find one. (maybe if someone can tell me what each line i would expect to have R & R'ed is for i would be in a better position to check em off - there is a few lines i couldn work out what they be for - but everyhting is back where it came from so???

Interestingly, i have had a small leak before where the inlet track goes over the tappet cover. I put a hole in there to test my water injection setup. It was sucking air in through a gap for a while coz i didn realise the injector had become dislodged from the hole.

When this was happening, i did not notice any idle issues or anything else.

What do you mean by adjusting the TPS? I thought it was just basically a variable resistor that was physically connected to the shaft for the (throttle) butterfly so as it moved resistance changes. I thought they were either good or gone.
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: My idle problem Mon, 31 October 2005 04:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
should be able to loosen the screws holding the tps to the throttle and twist it either way. Its not "fixed" to the throttle it has a small ammount of adjustment available the rest im unsure about i was just stabbing in the dark
mic*
Regular

July 2005
Re: My idle problem Mon, 31 October 2005 05:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I guess its a reasonable stab. The whole assembly was off and got a good cleanin so it possible.

Whether it could cause my symptom i dont know...

Can someone tell me (bout to feel like a dork im sure of it) what the other cable connected to my throttle pulley is for??? Its counter reactive to the throttle cable, and it disappears into the firewall somewhere???

I needed to loosen the locking nuts for this cable to disconnect it from the throttle pulley to remove that. Its possible that this cable has a slightly different setting on it but i dunno what its for. Doesn do anything if u play with it while engine is idling.
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: My idle problem Mon, 31 October 2005 05:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i would asume your car is an auto in which case its the kickdown cable for the gearbox

edit: it wont change the idle but you gearbox will change gears all over the place if its disconnected

[Updated on: Mon, 31 October 2005 05:18]

mic*
Regular

July 2005
Re: My idle problem Mon, 31 October 2005 05:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
...makes me feel stupid, but sorta not coz this is my first auto car. Normally wouldn touch em but i wanted this girl for her body...

Anyway that aint gonna do shit to my idle.

It nearly stalled at the lights earlier. It goes down to like 400 rpm.

Maybe its worth noting for all the EFI guru's that when i pull up after normal driving i can count a fairly precise 3-4 seconds of normal idling then - drop - instant "big arse lumpy cam idle"

Factory everything.
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: My idle problem Mon, 31 October 2005 06:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'd be checking TPS also.
mic*
Regular

July 2005
Re: My idle problem Mon, 31 October 2005 06:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
K well consider it done then... Can anyone tell me what the previously mentioned solenoid and all the little air/vac lines on the S/C are about??? Confused

It sits on its own little rack between the alternator & the S/C for those who know the engine.
Henn
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: My idle problem Mon, 31 October 2005 13:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The three small hoses running from the SC body to the VSV (that's the "solenoidy thing") are just for pressure equalisation across the SC seals (or some similar rubbish). They could not possibly be causing your problems. Many people give this VSV the arse without ill effects.

Try unplugging TPS and ISCV and any other electrical connections and seeing if the problem changes. And double check you didn't forget to reattach anything else minor that you'd forgotten you removed (I always do such things)

Hen

PS, also check that when the throttle is closed the idle wire from the TPS is active.
mic*
Regular

July 2005
Re: My idle problem Tue, 01 November 2005 08:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Henn,

can you tell me which wire is the idle wire and what readings should i expect???

Shouldn i be able to measure resistance across two wires (which ones?) and compare that to an expected value (which i also dont know)? Confused

Gotta love this whole rare import familiarisation experience... Rolling Eyes

michaelhaynes110
Regular

June 2005
Re: My idle problem Tue, 01 November 2005 09:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You checked its not the actual throttle getting a bit stuck open?
mic*
Regular

July 2005
Re: My idle problem Tue, 01 November 2005 22:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
How would that result in a low idle???

cable has very slight loss of tension when throttle closed so i am assuming that it is closing fully. This is without pulling off the over rocker piece of the inlet and visually checking.
michaelhaynes110
Regular

June 2005
Re: My idle problem Wed, 02 November 2005 09:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Didnt read it properly, thought you were idleing too high Embarassed
mic*
Regular

July 2005
Re: My idle problem Fri, 04 November 2005 02:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
K,

Disconnecting TPS (elec connector) while idling causes further drop in idle.

Disconnecting ISCV (elec connector) does nothing? I am not sure if this is right but it is not what i expected. Does this valve stay open when there is no current being applied, or does this indicate that it could be stuck (and probably in the wrong spot)? What does this valve do during normal driving - i fugured it was open whenever there is a key turned to ON.

Have adjusted the TPS by the top screw (ISCV fouls the bottom one - wanted to see if it helped enough before pulling it apart again) and when i push it towards the air filter side, simulating the throttle opening microscopically, not surprisingly the idle picked up a lil but it doesnt feel like i am on the right track, i think im just tricking the ECU into thinking my foot is down a lil and it runs richer.

Can anyone tell me whether there is details/expected values on this forum to test these sensors with a multi-meter?

Im stumped. Thank you all.
mic*
Regular

July 2005
Re: My idle problem Sun, 06 November 2005 23:59 Go to previous message
Quote:

The three small hoses running from the SC body to the VSV (that's the "solenoidy thing") are just for pressure equalisation across the SC seals (or some similar rubbish). They could not possibly be causing your problems. Many people give this VSV the arse without ill effects.

Henn,

Its ironic that you say that the above VSV could not be causing my problems. I didn think it was the problem either but just wondered what it was about.

Turns out that the barb which the vaccum line pushes onto on the VSV had a hairline crack. I probably still would not have found this if i hadnt have bumped the hose while fiddling to make sure electrical was reconnected. The engine was "running" and when the hose moved it made a big fat sucking noise.

I epoxied it up and now it runs bloody brilliant. i wouldna thought something that tiny could fuck everything up sooo much.

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:2T-G head bolts`
Next Topic:not idling
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu May 9 07:30:50 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0073080062866211 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.