Toymods » Tech & Conversions » 3tgte ecu for 2tgte and knock control Q

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
cooter
Regular

October 2004
3tgte ecu for 2tgte and knock control Q Mon, 31 October 2005 06:42 Go to next message
hey guys i was wondering if a 3tgte stock computer will run a 2tgte. it will basically be a stock 3tgte bottom end with forged pistons, running a 88262 2tgeu head and injection gear. will all the nescessary plugs on the 3tgte wiring harness fit the 2tgeu injection sockets? and is the knock control needed? this is all just to get the motor run in after the rebuild while im getting all the bits and pieces to run an aftermarket ecu. eg ignition setup. if anyones got a fuel and spark ecu and some sort of ignition system let me know. i could be interested.

i was also curious as to how the 3tgte computer stops detonation when the knock sensor detects it because it doesnt have ignition timing control. does it just richen the fueling?

cheers for any help guys.
craig
  Send a private message to this user    
jackel
Forums Junkie

August 2003

Re: 3tgte ecu for 2tgte and knock control Q Mon, 31 October 2005 07:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i dunno the answer to your question but if you dont use the knock computer i'll buy it Very Happy

and i think the knock computer changes the timing
cooter
Regular

October 2004
Re: 3tgte ecu for 2tgte and knock control Q Tue, 01 November 2005 04:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i cant see how it can because it runs a dizzy with boost retard (i think). if i cant run my engine on the stock computer, knock sensor etc ill have to go straight to aftermarket ( long delay) so then ill post the parts i dont need in the appropriate sale sections. Smile

any one with answers to my other questions??
cheers
craig
cooter
Regular

October 2004
Re: 3tgte ecu for 2tgte and knock control Q Thu, 03 November 2005 06:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bump, im sure someone knows something about this
bunkyT18
Forums Junkie

November 2004
Re: 3tgte ecu for 2tgte and knock control Q Fri, 04 November 2005 02:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Logic dictates that if an engine has knock control, then it will also have advance and retard for ignition through the ECU / gasp "knock control box".
Dunno where you got the 'does not have ignition timing' bit from. Fuel is enriched through ECU, input through boost sensor.

I'd say you could run it but it would go like poo.

Why not source that Delco tuning legend and run by him what you want to do, could work out both fruitful and less expensive.

I'd be looking to ask SupraPete to hook you up with Richard Wakeling Delco, wizard extrordinaire.

Or if it all gets too much, just sell me your T Levin Evil or Very Mad

[Updated on: Fri, 04 November 2005 02:54]

cooter
Regular

October 2004
Re: 3tgte ecu for 2tgte and knock control Q Fri, 04 November 2005 06:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
what i ment by does not have ignition timing control was that the ecu or knock sensor didnt have any connection to the dizzy. does the dizzy mechanically retard the timing when it recieves a boost signal from the inlet manifold? then when the knock sensor detects knock it tells the fuel only ecu to richen the mixture?
is this right? i just cant see how a fuel only ecu can alter timing especially seeing as the engine utellises (spelling) a dizzy.
as for running like poo as you put it i dont understand why. is it to do with vacuum switches etc? if so would it be possible to mofify everything needed to run with the 2tgeu injection gear. it will be using 3tgte injectors of course.
id like to just get it running in near stock form so that i can get it nice and run in, and finish off the other bits and pieces im doing like brakes and susp.

so your saying a delco would be suitable for my engine? these any good? much support etc.
is richard wakeling the delco tuner you speak of?

and by the way theres no way id ever get rid of my levin. only if i die and then i rekon id give it to jesse tamsett cause he deserves it. (prolly more than me)haha Razz

cheers for the help too. it all makes it easier
cheers
craig
bunkyT18
Forums Junkie

November 2004
Re: 3tgte ecu for 2tgte and knock control Q Fri, 04 November 2005 07:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Knock sensor connected to ECU through loom, Dizzy connected to ECU through the loom or at least my 3tgteu works like this (stock as a rock ECU and knock control. Shortened and customised loom courtesy of CLG) . ECU talks to both. I agree with the get it running in stock form first, very wise. I think the dizzy advances timing through being told by the ECU? Boost and afm sensors for fuel and fuel cut. Knock control for detonation so yeah, signals 'knock' and ecu retards timing. I'm not sure that it has much to do with fuel cut but might do.

I didn't mean to be negative with the poo statement more a little funny (poor attempt I know).

I know of 3tgteu run on 2TGEU ECU and it was not the best approach. Ran rich? Can't remember but it's in these forums somewhere. So I reasoned that the reverse night also be applicable using a 2TGEU head and cams.

As far as Delco's go, depends on the tuner. I'd say in Richards hands you would have a very nice runner. He has more than a little experience with this kind of setup. Like I said before, try to get a hold of him through SupraPete on these forums if that is the way you want to go.

Good luck with it, I'm a T series motor freak so I'm always interested in other projects.

[Updated on: Fri, 04 November 2005 07:51]

cooter
Regular

October 2004
Re: 3tgte ecu for 2tgte and knock control Q Mon, 07 November 2005 06:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok great cheers for your help bunkyt18.

is it possible to run 3tgte cams in a 2tgeu head? if so that could make it a little easier on the stock 3tgte ecu.

i might have a look at modifying the 3tgte dizzy internals to fit the 2tgeu body and shaft. i have a 3tc dizzy i can chop apart for the bits needed so i dont kill the 2tgeu dizzy. possibly the same way as "nickz" did it with the 20V cas --> 2tgeu dizzy body + shaft. this is prolly the way ill do it later down the track for aftermarket ecu and use a 20V cas.
will have a scope when i get back to perth to finally see the 3tgte this weekend.

if i have ne more questions ill post em
cheers
craig
bunkyT18
Forums Junkie

November 2004
Re: 3tgte ecu for 2tgte and knock control Q Mon, 07 November 2005 13:14 Go to previous message
Um I just was wondering if you are going turbo on this project? I just assumed you would be fitting the 3TGTEU turbo manifold setup. The whole knock control and detonation thing made me think turbo. If you aint then a 2TGEU ecu will be fine. If not then it should still work with 2TGEU cams and ECU cos you can dial em in, maybe also get a grind for turbo on em? 2TGEU dizzies must have some options for you cos they have been worked to the shithouse back in the day.

If turbo is the go then it's the old NA turbo conversion.

So
bigger injectors
intercooling
retard timing
Forged pistons

Stock ECU, cams =grind for turbo ideal but some fiddling with dialing em in could help. 2TGEU cams have cam wheel adjustment stock while 3TGTEU definitely dont, very expensive to find em too. Just FYI, 'performance' turbo cams have similar profiles to stock NA cams from similar motors eg SR20de to SR20det

There are other ways to detect detonation too, but put her on the dyno with low boost (6 psi) and you are away. Good results with throttle response remaining unchanged. Much better top end.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:why don't i loose traction?
Next Topic:MA61/RT142 suspension interchangeability
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 02:04:51 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0048038959503174 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.