Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Weird 2JZ problem!

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Weird 2JZ problem! Tue, 20 September 2005 02:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sir_2JZA70 wrote on Tue, 20 September 2005 09:58

Hmmm, this could be interesting. How do I check it??

Stick a multimeter with one end in the STA pin and the other to earth. Flick the key to ignition. If you see 12V, it's fcuked.
  Send a private message to this user    
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: Weird 2JZ problem! Tue, 20 September 2005 02:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrUZsida wrote on Sun, 18 September 2005 17:11

Reset the ECU (to clear the codes)
Put the bridge jumper in, and then turn the key to ON
If the CEL flashes normal for 3 secs, and THEN goes into code 12, you have bad wiring.

Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Weird 2JZ problem! Tue, 20 September 2005 03:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm pretty sure the CEL flashed code 12 immediately.
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: Weird 2JZ problem! Tue, 20 September 2005 03:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Norbie wrote on Tue, 20 September 2005 11:33

I'm pretty sure the CEL flashed code 12 immediately.

Immediately would indicate a SC or OC.

Easy to check, just unplug the plug from the ECU and test confinuity across the respective pins.
Sir_2JZA70
Regular

July 2005
Re: Weird 2JZ problem! Tue, 20 September 2005 11:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I had to go into city for work this avo and ended up staying in here. Havent been home to check much for a couple days. Rolling Eyes

OC, SC??? Whats this?

open circuit, short circuit??
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: Weird 2JZ problem! Tue, 20 September 2005 12:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yes
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: Weird 2JZ problem! Fri, 07 October 2005 07:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ever solve this?
Dr_Love
Regular

January 2005
Re: Weird 2JZ problem! Mon, 10 October 2005 05:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i would also be interested to know whats happened..

minor update on mine which i would appreciate advice on is thta its been tested by disconnecting map sensor and runs exactly the same. Smegged MAP sensor? could it be anything else?
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: Weird 2JZ problem! Mon, 10 October 2005 05:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dr_Love wrote on Mon, 10 October 2005 13:41

minor update on mine which i would appreciate advice on is thta its been tested by disconnecting map sensor and runs exactly the same. Smegged MAP sensor? could it be anything else?

Was this at idle? or under load?
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Weird 2JZ problem! Tue, 11 October 2005 00:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Haven't been up to Redcliffe for a few weeks, but last I heard Ed was planning to pull the crank sensor out as he thinks it's munted. Anyone familiar with JZ engine knows you have to pull a lot of crap off to get at the CAS, so I'm guessing it will be a while before this is done.
Dr_Love
Regular

January 2005
Re: Weird 2JZ problem! Tue, 11 October 2005 02:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrUZsida wrote on Mon, 10 October 2005 15:53

Dr_Love wrote on Mon, 10 October 2005 13:41

Was this at idle? or under load?

under load
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: Weird 2JZ problem! Tue, 11 October 2005 02:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I would have thought that if the MAP sensor was stuffed, the ECU would have thrown a code.

Also, by unplugging the MAP sensor, the ECU would go into limphome mode.
If you were already in limphome mode, then you would not notice a difference before and after.

Put your MAP sensor on someone elses (or vice versa), see what happens.
Dr_Love
Regular

January 2005
Re: Weird 2JZ problem! Fri, 14 October 2005 07:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrUZsida wrote on Tue, 11 October 2005 12:54

I would have thought that if the MAP sensor was stuffed, the ECU would have thrown a code.

Also, by unplugging the MAP sensor, the ECU would go into limphome mode.
If you were already in limphome mode, then you would not notice a difference before and after.

Put your MAP sensor on someone elses (or vice versa), see what happens.

Any volunteers?

please?

theres beer in it for you.
Sir_2JZA70
Regular

July 2005
Re: Weird 2JZ problem! Fri, 14 October 2005 13:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Norbie already tried his MAP sensor on my car. It didnt change a thing. Crying or Very Sad

If you unplug the MAP sensor the engine cuts out straight away. Apparently if the hose is off the MAP sensor but the sensor is still connected you can get issues such as this but Ive been through the hoses and they all look fine to me.

Anyway, Ive pulled a fair bit of stuff out of the engine bay, found the crank angle sensor and traced a wire back up the top of the engine bay where it was easy as to test(would have been nice if I new what this was before) checked the resistance across the points and I get 1342ohms.

This is a reasonable amount outside the normal restistance range, or so Ive been told. However I have been unable to find any 100% reliable source of what the resistance should be.

Im thinking its possible the sensor could just be out of alignment with the little star thingo. Or another possibility is that the star thingo has been know to come away from the timing pulley and once off center it will obviously give inaccurate readings on the crank angle sensor and quite easily damage it too.

The more I look at this damn sensor the more I realise I have to remove to get to it properly.

Does anyone know of a 100% trusted source where I can find what the sensor resistance range should be?

Id prefer not to remove the timing cover and just about EVERYTHING else unless Im sure I have to.

Ive kept myself from going insane over this stupid engine by doing a few extra mods at the same time. Ive got a new big FMIC and im fitting it with a water sprayer system.

Unfortunately Ive been pretty flat out with work so time hasnt been the easiest thing to come by recently. If I still havent got the thing out in another week im considering paying some grease monkey to do it for me. (Even though im extremely paranoid about those idiots now!)

If this isnt the problem and I cant figure out WTF to do, im gonna take 'dodgy bros' motorsport to court and get a new engine. Mad
Manny
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Weird 2JZ problem! Fri, 14 October 2005 13:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sir_2JZA70 wrote on Fri, 14 October 2005 23:11

checked the resistance across the points and I get 1342ohms.

This is a reasonable amount outside the normal restistance range, or so Ive been told. However I have been unable to find any 100% reliable source of what the resistance should be.
Does anyone know of a 100% trusted source where I can find what the sensor resistance range should be?

From Toyota, US Supra 2JZ-GTE Workshop Manual, IG-25

CRANKSHAFT POSITION SENSOR INSPECTION
NOTICE: Cold and Hot in the following sentences express the temperature of the sensors themselves.
Cold is from -10°C (14°F) to 50°C (122°F) and Hot is from 50°C (122°F) to 100°C (212°F).

3. INSPECT CRANKSHAFT POSITION SENSOR RESISTANCE
Using an ohmmeter, measure the resistance between terminals.
Resistance:
Cold
NIPPONDENSO
835 - 1,400 Ohms
AISAN
985 - 1,600 Ohms
Hot
NIPPONDENSO
1,060 - 1,645 Ohms
AISAN
1,265 - 1,890 Ohms
If the resistance is not as specified, replace the crankshaft position sensor.

[Updated on: Fri, 14 October 2005 13:47]

Sir_2JZA70
Regular

July 2005
Re: Weird 2JZ problem! Fri, 14 October 2005 23:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
WTF!?!?!

So my sensors resistance IS inside the accepted range!

So those 2 version are just the brand of the sensor right? 99% of my engine seems to have been made by Denso so id assume Ive got that one, but my reading was fine for both of them.

Crap! Now I dunno what to do. Crying or Very Sad

Ill try and get to my cam position sensors again.

(Thanks Manny! What section of the TSRM had that? I couldnt find jack about the CAS in it. Got a link?)
Manny
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Weird 2JZ problem! Fri, 14 October 2005 23:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NFI about the TSRM but it was direct from Toyota's US Supra 2JZ-GTE Workshop Manual, section IG-25 and sourced from http://techinfo.toyota.com/ .

Sir_2JZA70
Regular

July 2005
Re: Weird 2JZ problem! Mon, 31 October 2005 12:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ok Ive done some testing, directly from the ECU plug. (Dont ask why I didnt think of testing it from there before I removed my radiator and stuff trying to get to the sensor itself. Razz )

Anyways, heres what I got:
Camshalf position sensor 1 = 1350 ohms
Camshaft position sensor 2 = 1339 ohms
Crankshaft position sensor = 1345 ohms

For the info Ive got these readings are within the acceptable range. (Manny could you check the cam ones for me. I dont have access to that Toyota site, they want $10 a day or something).

If they are within the range....and I got a code 12.....WTF!?!?! Confused

So......Im sitting down having a few bourbons atm, cos in the morning Im gonna burn my car to the ground. Mad

Anyone got any better ideas??
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: Weird 2JZ problem! Mon, 31 October 2005 13:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrUZsida wrote on Tue, 20 September 2005 10:19

CrUZsida wrote on Sun, 18 September 2005 17:11

Reset the ECU (to clear the codes)
Put the bridge jumper in, and then turn the key to ON
If the CEL flashes normal for 3 secs, and THEN goes into code 12, you have bad wiring.

Sir_2JZA70
Regular

July 2005
Re: Weird 2JZ problem! Mon, 31 October 2005 13:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Could someone please tell me what "flash normally" means?

I dont see how I could bad wiring. I didnt touch the engine wiring. If we stuffed up one of the power lines to the ECU the engine wouldnt start.
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: Weird 2JZ problem! Mon, 31 October 2005 13:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No, the engine will start - It will just drive poorly
This happened on an ecu I rewired recently (not sure if it was my error or not).

Flash normal is one flash every half a second continuous.
Manny
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Weird 2JZ problem! Tue, 01 November 2005 00:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hope you got carried away with the Bourbon and didn't get a chance to play with fire Smile

From my archives...

Page IG-24

2. INSPECT CAMSHAFT POSITION SENSOR RESISTANCE
Using an ohmmeter, measure the resistance between terminals.
Resistance:
Cold
NIPPONDENSO
835 - 1,400 Ohms
AISAN
985 -1,600 Ohms
Hot
NIPPONDENSO
1,060 - 1,645 Ohms
AISAN
1,265 - 1,890 Ohms
If the resistance is not as specified, replace the camshaft
position sensor.

Page EG-515

DTC No.

Diagnostic Trouble Code Detecting Condition
No NE or G1 and G2 signal to ECM for 2 sec. or more after cranking

Trouble Area
 Open or short in crankshaft position
sensor, camshaft position sensor No.1, No.2
circuit
 Crankshaft position sensor
 Camshaft position sensor No.1, No.2
 Starter
 ECM

[Updated on: Tue, 01 November 2005 00:05]

Skip
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Weird 2JZ problem! Tue, 01 November 2005 00:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sir_2JZA70 wrote on Mon, 31 October 2005 21:48

Could someone please tell me what "flash normally" means?

I dont see how I could bad wiring. I didnt touch the engine wiring. If we stuffed up one of the power lines to the ECU the engine wouldnt start.

Sometimes the wires can get damaged when the engines are lifted in/out of the cut and you may not realise, such as a wire getting caught between then engine and cross member or something like that.
Dr_Love
Regular

January 2005
Re: Weird 2JZ problem! Tue, 08 November 2005 06:16 Go to previous message
Well it seems Norbie has sorted the main issue of no power in my car..
All will be well if the rewiring of the ecu goes as planned..

Apparently the valve that opens to initiate the second turbo was stuck closed (plus there were all sorts of things that werent right)

The most coherent theory is that it used to be a single turbo with a few oddments here and there which was all reverted back to the way it was as quickly as possible - hosing just blocked off and the like.

Anyways. Much better now.

Does anybody know if having a Greddy e-manage would throw error codes to the diagnostics? (in particular MAP sensor and O2 sensor codes)
Pages (2): [ «  <  1  2]   Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Speedometer for Celsior
Next Topic:1jz prob help****
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 05:28:43 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0071909427642822 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.