Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Newbie - 4age timing, how does it work, how to adjust ??

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
GOLDEN86
Occasional Poster

June 2005
icon5.gif  Newbie - 4age timing, how does it work, how to adjust ?? Mon, 31 October 2005 14:03 Go to next message
Hey,

I recently took my 4age apart to paint few things and i might of thrown off the timing on the cams, i was wondering how you go about reseting them ? I have the manual and know where to adjust cams too, but not sure how maney turns to do on cranshaft and cams ?, is it aslong as i aling it up with numbers ?
  Send a private message to this user    
selk
Regular

June 2004
Re: Newbie - 4age timing, how does it work, how to adjust ?? Mon, 31 October 2005 14:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dont u adjust from tha dizzy or is dat ignition timing
towe_001
Forums Junkie

August 2004
Re: Newbie - 4age timing, how does it work, how to adjust ?? Mon, 31 October 2005 17:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
In the manual you should find the timing mark for the cam pulley thats on the crank. When you fit the cam belt that mark has to be aligned as well as the two marks on the cams. Then spin the crankshaft a complete revolution (or two on the cams) clockwise and see if the marks still line up.
Your on your own with the dizzy. It sihts me to tears when i have to pull the damn out Mad
lowAE92
Regular

June 2005
Re: Newbie - 4age timing, how does it work, how to adjust ?? Tue, 01 November 2005 00:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok the cams go half the speed of the crank so for every turn of the crankshaft the cams are at half rotation mark your timing marks as according to your manual with whiteout to see em better then spin the motor over by hand youll see what i mean
it will be easier if you take your timing case off to do this if youve taken the dizzy out have fun retiming it just rememer 10 degrees btdc bridge tc and e1 whne you do your timing

[Updated on: Tue, 01 November 2005 00:54]

Phrostbyte
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

April 2004
Re: Newbie - 4age timing, how does it work, how to adjust ?? Tue, 01 November 2005 08:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
After setting cam and crankshaft timing, Align the timing belt to TDC (When your 1st piston is at its highest point [0 degrees on the crank]), Then align your dizzy rotor to be right on the 1st cylinder spark cable.

My understanding is that at TDC when the engine is running, the first cylinder ignites and pushes the 1st piston down right there and then. Hence having the dizzy fire 1st cyl at that point.

Kev.
BradW
Regular

April 2004
Re: Newbie - 4age timing, how does it work, how to adjust ?? Tue, 01 November 2005 08:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Phrostbyte wrote on Tue, 01 November 2005 19:39

After setting cam and crankshaft timing, Align the timing belt to TDC (When your 1st piston is at its highest point [0 degrees on the crank]), Then align your dizzy rotor to be right on the 1st cylinder spark cable.

My understanding is that at TDC when the engine is running, the first cylinder ignites and pushes the 1st piston down right there and then. Hence having the dizzy fire 1st cyl at that point.

Kev.

This is correct, but make sure No 1 cylinder is on compression stroke, not exhaust stroke otherwise the dizzy will be 180 deg out.
Phrostbyte
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

April 2004
Re: Newbie - 4age timing, how does it work, how to adjust ?? Tue, 01 November 2005 08:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Holy shiz... How can you tell what stroke its on?

Kev.
BradW
Regular

April 2004
Re: Newbie - 4age timing, how does it work, how to adjust ?? Tue, 01 November 2005 08:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The easiest way I know to tell is to get someone to crank the motor over without the spark plugs in and you'll hear the compression push out the spark plug hole Wink . Just remember to unplug your injectors or disable the fuel pump and depressuries the fuel line, otherwise you will spray fuel everywhere. This can make for a pretty big fireball if a plug lead fires.
Yes, this is coming from experience Shocked Laughing .
September_Squall
Forums Junkie

March 2005
Re: Newbie - 4age timing, how does it work, how to adjust ?? Tue, 01 November 2005 08:55 Go to previous message
lol... j/k.

If it's TDC on exhaust the valves will be open.
If it's at TDC on compression the valves will be closed.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:20 v blacktop timing&plugs
Next Topic:Steering column problem and yet another 4AGE problem.
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 22:12:04 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0042970180511475 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.