Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Sigmeister
Regular

June 2004
Green Screen Material Mon, 31 October 2005 02:06 Go to next message
Guys,
I am currently in the process of making a short film. And I now need to do some green screen work. Does anyone know of a place where I can buy green screen material? Or can you use alternatives like paiting some wood etc?

I assume it needs to be the specific colour or it wont work properly??
  Send a private message to this user    
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Green Screen Material Mon, 31 October 2005 02:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Spotlight Rolling Eyes
Shraka
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Green Screen Material Mon, 31 October 2005 02:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What kind of device are you useing to do the compositing? If it's a fairly sophisticated computer program then you can actualy do it with any colour you like. Green is the most common, 'cuz it's less likely to cause interference with colours the person is wearing or tones in their skin.

You just need the screen to be bright, and light it uniformly otherwise the chroma key or compositing system wont work right. If you're making a movie don't you have any industry contacts? Ask them for more info. My experience with this kinda stuff is from about 5 years ago.
Sigmeister
Regular

June 2004
Re: Green Screen Material Mon, 31 October 2005 02:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have Adobe Premier 1.5.

No, I am just a beginner, shooting a simple film. I noticed Premier had a green screen filter, and that would make some shots a lot easier. I haven't studied movie making, nor do I know anyone in the business. It's just a hobby that I enjoy doing.
rthy
Forums Junkie

January 2004
wtf is a jabber? a punch line?
Re: Green Screen Material Mon, 31 October 2005 02:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yea adobe premier was pretty good, pretty stright forward, just make sure u dont stand to close to the green Laughing that was a big stuff up with the blue screen back in tafe Confused
Shraka
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Green Screen Material Mon, 31 October 2005 02:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sigmeister wrote on Mon, 31 October 2005 13:22

I have Adobe Premier 1.5.

No, I am just a beginner, shooting a simple film. I noticed Premier had a green screen filter, and that would make some shots a lot easier. I haven't studied movie making, nor do I know anyone in the business. It's just a hobby that I enjoy doing.

Damn it! Why couldn't you be in victoria! Sad I wanna mess around making short films and stuff, but all my friends are boring and don't want to. Rolling Eyes

Anyway, carefull with using green screen shots, 'cuz without some very fancy skills and technology, they are easily picked as green screened. Even if it's harder, try doing any shots you can without it, they'll turn out better.

Anyway, as far as the colour goes, I think just a nice even bright green would work fine. As long as it's evenly lit, you'll be fine. Try messing around in Premier doing green screening to things that have nice flat areas of colour, and see how it works and see how even your colour has to be to make it look good. Also be carefull about standing your actors and stuff to close to the green screen, as the light will reflect green onto them and their shoulder might disapear as they turn around. lol.

Sorry, this is where I run out of stuff I know off the top of my head. Sad
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: Green Screen Material Mon, 31 October 2005 03:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
material needs to be opaque - otherwise you get shades of 'green' or what ever colour you want to chroma-key to.

is why cheap material from spotlight wont work.

If you're shooting indoors, then sheets of colour paper might even do the trick. In general you want to us something that has a surface that is matt and non-textured.

you could adapt curtain material if it has an opaque backing (cheaper stuff tends to have a layer of vinyl or latex adhered to the back - much like cheap table-cloths).

try green or blue - something that you can easily pickup with the software.

when you light you scene, avoid casting strong shadows onto the material - use a lot of diffuse overhead light with careful highlight/lowlight spots on your actors so they have good detail/contrast/colour and the green background is a consistent colour and lightness.

you may need a fair amount of light on your actors/subject as the reflected light from the screeen will colour the rest of the scene

test your setup first before wasting time with your actors and support crew.

you might want to take regular reference shots with colour targets as your shoot progresses so you can fix any colour balance issue resulting from reflected light.

cheers,
Charles.
Sigmeister
Regular

June 2004
Re: Green Screen Material Mon, 31 October 2005 03:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Appreciate the help guys, this is allr eally helpful. Yes, when I get it setup, I'll jsut stick an object infront of the screen for testing.

This is a very low budget production (Our own money. Me and a mate) so whilst I can't spend lots, I'd like to make it as good as possible with the tools I have.

I generally know the colour (Bright green) but by the sounds of it, it doesn't have to be an exact shade of green, just around that colour as not to clash with other colours in the shot?

I found that Solver do a colour called Chromakey Green. Would painting a backdrop work? Rather than using material?

Hehe, support crew...actors? Support crew = me. Actors = a few mates. But like I said I am really enjoying learning and trying new things with regards to video editing.

I can either shoot indoors or outdoors. So if outdoors is easier, I'll give that a go.

Once again. Appreciate the help thus far.
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: Green Screen Material Mon, 31 October 2005 03:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sigmeister wrote on Mon, 31 October 2005 13:32

Appreciate the help guys, this is allr eally helpful. Yes, when I get it setup, I'll jsut stick an object infront of the screen for testing.

This is a very low budget production (Our own money. Me and a mate) so whilst I can't spend lots, I'd like to make it as good as possible with the tools I have.

I generally know the colour (Bright green) but by the sounds of it, it doesn't have to be an exact shade of green, just around that colour as not to clash with other colours in the shot?

yup - the whole point is to use a colour not being used by your subject/actors that you can select digitally - as opposed to manually masking each frame.

Quote:

I found that Solver do a colour called Chromakey Green. Would painting a backdrop work? Rather than using material?

yup - but see previous thread about the material surface. If it's a canvas backdrop for stage use, make sure it's got a few coats of white to seal it

Quote:

I can either shoot indoors or outdoors. So if outdoors is easier, I'll give that a go.

indoors means you can control your lighting and shadows and highlights. requires more organisation, but offers greater control.

glad to help,

cheers, charles.
Hi-Ace
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

January 2005

Re: Green Screen Material Mon, 31 October 2005 06:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I suppose it has to be asked.
What is the movie about?
Just so we don't go off with the wrong idea.
Sigmeister
Regular

June 2004
Re: Green Screen Material Mon, 31 October 2005 06:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi-Ace wrote on Mon, 31 October 2005 16:55

I suppose it has to be asked.
What is the movie about?
Just so we don't go off with the wrong idea.

It is a fan film for "The Punisher"

My mate is a mad Punisher comic fan and he was disapointed with the movie, so he wanted to make one A more true to the comic movie. I know it's a bit corny, but it's been fun shooting it.

Main problem we have is I have no idea where to get guns from? We have two replicas, a colt and a Beretta, but obviously they don't actually shoot, so it makes it hard for the movie maker (me) to get the shots we want. So I have to improvise a lot. with either flashes of light or blood spatter, or using shadows. Oh, and a suitable car. No one I know seems to have an old school yank tank in black? We still need to shoot some of that.

We have a really poor, low quality trailer. But we have been able to get a hold of a better camera and better editting suites, so things are looking up. Also my editing skills are improving and I keep thinking of new camera angles and tricks to try.

Once this is finished, we are going to do a comedy. Hopefully it will be much easier and require less special effects...Either that or a car movie.
Shraka
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Green Screen Material Mon, 31 October 2005 06:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I wanted to do a car movie. Sad

Anyone in vic interested in getting together and making one? Smile

Anyway, guns guns guns. Try your local firearms store. They might be able to put you onto someone who does replicas. You'll probably need a licence though and contact your local police before firing blanks at anything. they'll be in the yellow pages.
Sigmeister
Regular

June 2004
Re: Green Screen Material Mon, 31 October 2005 06:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shraka wrote on Mon, 31 October 2005 17:20

Anyway, guns guns guns. Try your local firearms store. They might be able to put you onto someone who does replicas. You'll probably need a licence though and contact your local police before firing blanks at anything. they'll be in the yellow pages.

I didn't know where to get blanks from or anything like that, so I just improvised.
So say if someone was shooting someone, the shot would show that, then just before the trigger was pulled I'd swap to a shot that was very low and facing up at the shooter, I'd flash some light, then digitally add the gunshot sound in after.
It seemed to work OK for me and my limited knowledge\budget.

So far I have got away with shooting everyhting on private property (Houses) and shooting plates for background stuff. traffic Scenes, people moving sunsets, skylines etc.
EnFlaMEd
Regular

September 2003
Re: Green Screen Material Mon, 31 October 2005 07:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kev I demand you give me a leading roll in your next film!!!

Cheers André
Shraka
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Green Screen Material Mon, 31 October 2005 10:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sigmeister wrote on Mon, 31 October 2005 17:57

Shraka wrote on Mon, 31 October 2005 17:20

I didn't know where to get blanks from or anything like that, so I just improvised.
So say if someone was shooting someone, the shot would show that, then just before the trigger was pulled I'd swap to a shot that was very low and facing up at the shooter, I'd flash some light, then digitally add the gunshot sound in after.
It seemed to work OK for me and my limited knowledge\budget.

So far I have got away with shooting everyhting on private property (Houses) and shooting plates for background stuff. traffic Scenes, people moving sunsets, skylines etc.

You'd be surprised how many companies will let you shoot on their private property for free just for fun. Smile Just ask. When you get shot down, just try someone else. Smile Eventualy you'll get one.

And ask around your friends, see if they know anyone with replica handguns (or whatever they are) that can fire blanks.
barned01
Regular

September 2003
Re: Green Screen Material Mon, 31 October 2005 23:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if you have a spare room in your house you could paint it Chromakey Green then you would have your very own green screen room Smile
Sigmeister
Regular

June 2004
Re: Green Screen Material Tue, 01 November 2005 00:24 Go to previous message
Or I could just paint one wall of my loungeroom and make it a "feature wall" Very Happy
Not a bad idea, but I think I'll make a portable one so I can use it inside, or out.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:E-Tax has aids
Next Topic:why do people think number plates are worth $50000?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 10:49:58 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0059199333190918 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.