Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Toymods Membership & Feedback » Feedback (long post): people need to utilise the search option more

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
rob_RA40
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Feedback (long post): people need to utilise the search option more Tue, 18 February 2003 21:55 Go to next message
Over the years there have been many questions that have been asked over and over, now i know this wasnt much trouble a little while ago when we switched to new msg boards twice but these forums have been running for about a year now and collected alot of information.

what im trying to say is would it be possible to put up a sticky post in each section asking the user to search the forums before they ask a question?

im sick and tired of seeing the same questions asked, and the problem with this is that most of the guys who have experience and can give the best advice dont seem to want to answer these redundant questions anymore.

this leaves it open for bad or mis-informed advice to be posted by people who are just going on about what they have heard (yes that includes advice ive given as well).

another thing that might be good to stop redundant posts is to get some of these threads turned into tech articles, now i know all you guys are busy and just dont have time, but if it is a matter of just cutting and pasting from the forums what about asking some of the members who are uni students to do this. When i was at uni i had a shite load of spare time on the holidays cause i hardly had any money to do anything. Perhaps toymods could offer a free keyring or mug to someone who has spent a few days searching the forums and copying any good advice or stuff that is worthy of a tech article (just like trevors RWD 3S-GTE post).

so just to recap:

so hows about a sticky post asking people to search the forums before they post?

AND

how about one of you uni students do a little homework for toymods, they might make it worth your while?

thanks for you time...

Send a private message to this user    
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
icon1.gif  Re: Feedback (long post): people need to utilise the search option more Tue, 18 February 2003 22:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The problem I see with stickies is that there's already too many of them taking up space at the top of each forum.

As for the tech articles, it's not quite a matter of simply cutting and pasting. HTML tags have to go around each paragraph even after they're dropped into an HTML template. But it's not too difficult.

Anyone willing to offer their time? I can show you exactly what to do, it's pretty easy, if time consuming.

Thanks for the suggestions Rob!
rob_RA40
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Feedback (long post): people need to utilise the search option more Wed, 19 February 2003 01:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thanks for the reply nark

yeah good point about the HTML, i can see what your saying, most guys are pretty handy with HTML nowadays im sure if u give them the fonts and backgrounds they could do this.

also i noticed your setting up a tech articles repository, this might lend itself to the cut and paste idea (cut from thread paste to doc file), and save time on doing any coding for a web page.

anyways hopefully someone will put up their hand to do something like this

also i have a 1G tech article that was on Ed's website but now it seems hes too lazy to upload it after he changed formats (yeah Ed maybe i dont believe your bad upload story Laughing )

but anyways if u want YET ANOTHER 1G article ill be happy to submit it... so yes, no do u want?

Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
icon14.gif  Re: Feedback (long post): people need to utilise the search option more Wed, 19 February 2003 02:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yup! Send it over and I'll upload it. Smile

toymods@nark.is-a-geek.com
IRA11Y
Forums Junkie

Club Member

May 2002

Re: Feedback (long post): people need to utilise the search option more Wed, 19 February 2003 05:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Max if you or Sam want to teach me then I dont mind doing it...good practice for TAFE Smile
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
icon1.gif  Re: Feedback (long post): people need to utilise the search option more Wed, 19 February 2003 06:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Basically it's this easy
1) Grab the attached template file.
2) Open the file in any text editor and copy and paste the tech article into the area between the:
<!-- Start Body -->

<!-- End Body -->

3) For every paragraph in the tech article, stick a <p> tag before the paragraph and a </p> tag at the end of the paragraph.
<p>Kind of like this.</p>

It's that easy!

Attachment: TechArticleTemplate.html
(Size: 1.24KB, Downloaded 6 time(s))

CrAiGzEE
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Feedback (long post): people need to utilise the search option more Thu, 20 February 2003 00:19 Go to previous message
i have nearly every useful 1g tech article bookmarked so i can send ya all the links if ya interested?
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Feed Back: Old Posts
Next Topic:2003 Toymods AGM - Minutes
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 06:46:58 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0047171115875244 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.