Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » 2JZ limp mode?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
joorsh
Forums Junkie

June 2003
2JZ limp mode? Tue, 01 November 2005 01:15 Go to next message
A bit of background first I guess. It's an early model 2JZ-GTE engine that has been transplanted. It's also running the factory auto ECU. It has a few little pieces like intercooler & exhaust. A very small amount of boost and some cam gears, but that's about it.

Is there any definitive way to tell if the ecu is in "limp home" mode? Like a fault code?

I'm trying to sort out why my fuel economy is so rotton. Approx 300 kms city driving per 50L tank, and that's not driving it hard.

It seems to rev cleanly and doesn't seem to be shy on power.

It doesn't blow smoke (except for the usual small puff when boost comes on).

Idle is a little rough, but it doesn't lag or choke when you stomp it in neutral from idle. The cam gears are almost undoubtably contributing to the rough idle.

Could adjusted timing on the cam gears be responsible for the bad fuel economy?

There's a whole arseload of moisture on cold start. It smells a little fuely, but I'm pretty sure it's mostly condensation. When I say a lot, I mean it actually sprays and dribbles out the exhaust, and forms a puddle on the ground.

Trailing throttle is a little poppy & rumbly, but not over the top. Doesn't seem to backfire. Just little pops. Fairly normal I'd say with the exhaust.

It has new plugs, new o2 sensor and good fuel.

Anyone have any bright ideas? Or are all 2J's this lousy on fuel?

[Updated on: Tue, 01 November 2005 01:17]

Send a private message to this user    
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 2JZ limp mode? Tue, 01 November 2005 01:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What codes is the ECU giving?
Manny
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 2JZ limp mode? Tue, 01 November 2005 03:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Zero your intake camgear adjustment - on the intake cam on a 1JZ-GTE, you can't deviate more than 1 degree on the stock ECU before the ECU believes it's skipped a cog and goes into limp mode; I presume the 2JZ-GTE ECU is identical.
FYI, intake and exhaust cam reference/timing is physically actually only read off the intake camshaft.

[Updated on: Tue, 01 November 2005 03:00]

myne
Regular

October 2005
Re: 2JZ limp mode? Tue, 01 November 2005 03:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If your engine warning light is on constantly while driving, then it's in limp mode. That is, assuming the light is working.
BlackSupra
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: 2JZ limp mode? Tue, 01 November 2005 07:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
myne wrote on Tue, 01 November 2005 14:19

If your engine warning light is on constantly while driving, then it's in limp mode. That is, assuming the light is working.

MA61 one won't be wired up im assuming.
joorsh
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: 2JZ limp mode? Tue, 01 November 2005 13:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'll check the fault codes on the ECU tomorrow.

And no, the engine warning light is not connected.

Interesting about the cam gears. I'll zero them and see what happens.
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 2JZ limp mode? Tue, 01 November 2005 23:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Unfortunately the au-spec MA61 dash doesn't seem to have a check engine light you can hook up. Sad I've been meaning to wire up a CEL for ages, but I'll just put a LED somewhere visible.
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 2JZ limp mode? Tue, 01 November 2005 23:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Norbie wrote on Wed, 02 November 2005 07:16

Unfortunately the au-spec MA61 dash doesn't seem to have a check engine light you can hook up. Sad I've been meaning to wire up a CEL for ages, but I'll just put a LED somewhere visible.

Copy what wilbo did and find a CEL from another car to insert into one of the spare spots in the dash, failing that, get a GA61 dash Smile
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: 2JZ limp mode? Wed, 02 November 2005 01:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
myne wrote on Tue, 01 November 2005 14:19

That could explain why my car is slow
joorsh
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: 2JZ limp mode? Wed, 02 November 2005 10:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bit of an update. It seems my car does lag a little if you really snap the throttle open. Revs drop & labour first, then go up - but you really have to snap it open fast.

Does anyone know the procedure for checking the fault codes on a 2J?
myne
Regular

October 2005
Re: 2JZ limp mode? Wed, 02 November 2005 10:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
first you need a working engine warning light.
joorsh
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: 2JZ limp mode? Wed, 02 November 2005 10:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oh poop.
Is there any way to do it without an engine light, or is the actual check engine light the one that flashes up the codes?

[Updated on: Wed, 02 November 2005 10:56]

Alchemist
Forums Junkie

January 2003
Re: 2JZ limp mode? Wed, 02 November 2005 11:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
People on Supraforums are talking fuel economy at the moment, seems like the TT's get abut 400-500Km per 70L tank, so 300 of 50L may not be too bad. I get 550km with city driving from a 70L tank in an N/A.
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 2JZ limp mode? Wed, 02 November 2005 14:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
joorsh wrote on Wed, 02 November 2005 18:52

Oh poop.
Is there any way to do it without an engine light, or is the actual check engine light the one that flashes up the codes?

The light is in the dash and flashes...but the Aus MA61 doesn't have the light. You could jimmy something up temporarily. If the 2J is like other Toyota engines, it should have a diagnostic plug, a lot of the time, the check engine light wire is in the plug too. Give 12V to a globe, and connect the earth of the globe to the check engine light pin on the plug. Bridge the T and E1 pins, and turn the ignition on. In theory, the globe will flash the codes.
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 2JZ limp mode? Wed, 02 November 2005 15:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I use a test light hooked up to the diagnostic plug. The procedure for pulling codes is well documented on mkiv.com.
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: 2JZ limp mode? Wed, 02 November 2005 23:05 Go to previous message
the check engine light pin on the ecu is an open collector output - meaning that it pulls to earth when it's working.

Thus, get your LED or small globe, pue 12V ign to one side, and put the negative of the light to the ECU's check engine light pin (normally "W")

portion of urine.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Simple Question
Next Topic:Oil pressure during cranking?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 20:55:42 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0050568580627441 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.