Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » General Car Talk » SUNROOF Advantage &DISVANTAGE - Install or don't Install

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
osix
Regular

October 2005

SUNROOF Advantage &DISVANTAGE - Install or don't Install Sun, 30 October 2005 16:35 Go to next message
I am considering Installing a Sunroof . after i vist the junkyard . the onwer is trying to sell me one of the Nissan Sunroof . -
i did a measurement . and seem like it will go well with the small roof the Celica ta22 .

Ok now come the problem ..

is it a good idea to install the sunroof . the owner selling me for $100-USD

what are the PRO and con of having a sunroof .

- Will i Face rust problem ? - LEakage problem ? weather rubber hard to find ? - what are the advantage of having one .

cos i am seriously considering to buy the sunroof and get it installed ..

so i am trying to find out if it worth while doing so
or is just gone be a PAIN in the @$$ after i install the fancy Sunroof .

what are your VIEW Smile
comment most welcome

OSIX
  Send a private message to this user    
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: SUNROOF Advantage &DISVANTAGE - Install or don't Install Sun, 30 October 2005 16:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i have had sunroof in 2 of my cars....

only thing oit's good for is letting hot air ut of the car quickly on a summers day..... not much use any other time Wink

current car has a half roof glass panel.... i usually leave it closed...
osix
Regular

October 2005

Re: SUNROOF Advantage &DISVANTAGE - Install or don't Install Sun, 30 October 2005 17:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Your advice is most valued .

that is what i was thinking .. what are the advantage .

i am IN thailand and most season is HOT . if not rainy ..
i wonder if during long trip the sunroof - play some Pro role - like ventilating the air in the car
whahha

beside the idea that is a nice deco to put on Car -

Smile feel free with your comment .
oldcorollas advice and comment is most helpful Smile by far
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: SUNROOF Advantage &DISVANTAGE - Install or don't Install Sun, 30 October 2005 17:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oh right.. thailand....

in that case, think of it not as a sunroof, but as a roof vent..

you will want some way to cover it up when not open so the sun doesn't turn your car into an oven thru the sunroof....
osix
Regular

October 2005

Re: SUNROOF Advantage &DISVANTAGE - Install or don't Install Sun, 30 October 2005 17:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeh ..man - what worried me is
two factor - making my celica into a Manmade mircowave oven

or adding a Sunroof - to be a Pain in ethe ass when it rain .

and of cos . the long term effect of RUSTING away the roof top ..

my focus is if there is any good way to prevent all this .

or there are not of big problem ..

SUNROOF sound so cool .. and seem like a real Pimp car waahha but what are the Pro and con - .. measuring all this - is what i am thinking ..

Thailand is hot - a air vent on the roof will be cool .. but is there better altnative ? - or a smaller sunroof ?

Smile is there any Cheap or easy way out of this ?

Osix
sated
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: SUNROOF Advantage &DISVANTAGE - Install or don't Install Sun, 30 October 2005 18:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
From an engineering / motoring perspective - i wouldnt want the added weight on the top of the car. And if the car didnt have a sunroof put in from the factory - i'm abit too paranoid about having one added after.

I've got a car with sun roof / moon roof - where the panel is glass and you can see the street lights go past and some light comes in to the cabin. The novelty has worn off a long time ago.

If the car in question is to be a drivers car first and foremost - i'd go without the sunroof.

my 2 cents.
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: SUNROOF Advantage &DISVANTAGE - Install or don't Install Sun, 30 October 2005 22:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Disadvantage is depending on the type ie electronic it cuts into your headroom. Also when driving along at medium to higher zones the noise from the air sucking out of the car can be annoying.

Good for venting hot air as already said, and also good for getting fresh air into the car when raining ie just tilting it up.
Hi-Ace
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

January 2005

Re: SUNROOF Advantage &DISVANTAGE - Install or don't Install Sun, 30 October 2005 23:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have a glass sunroof in my truck, It's great for getting the hot air out in summer, or venting in the rain if its just popped a little, this helps with demisting the windscreen.
It has a mirror finish so it reflects the sun & doesn't add to the heat of the car.
Big Rob
Regular

March 2005
Re: SUNROOF Advantage &DISVANTAGE - Install or don't Install Mon, 31 October 2005 00:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Osix from what i've seen of your celica rusting around a sunroof is the least of your problems lol. Well actually i just looked at your progress and its coe a very long way.

What do you think a sunroff does? It opens a hole in your roof for the sun. Its good for letting hot air out but is a bitch when the sun beams you in the face. I like them, think they are a good thing to have but they do add weight, compromise body regitity as your cutting a hole in your roof and reduce the height of the roof.

Get one, it sounds like you want a luxury celica not a track car.
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: SUNROOF Advantage &DISVANTAGE - Install or don't Install Mon, 31 October 2005 00:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'd be hesitant about trying to retrofit a roof from another vehicle. A simpler option would be one from an aftermarket supplier which is more suited to a custom installation.

As for whether a sunroof is good. From a headroom point of view, it's not real cool. On a spring and/or summers day, it's lovely. Smile
SmellyTofu
Regular

May 2002
Re: SUNROOF Advantage &DISVANTAGE - Install or don't Install Mon, 31 October 2005 01:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If it's not a factory unit, I wouldn't bother putting one in. Venting is a good thing though and at nights, I pull the blinds out and let the moonlight shine though Wink
cannonball
Forums Junkie

July 2004
Re: SUNROOF Advantage &DISVANTAGE - Install or don't Install Mon, 31 October 2005 01:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Im not a sunroof fan, but if you want the venting ability, you could install a rally style roof vent Very Happy Rolling Eyes
coFF33
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: SUNROOF Advantage &DISVANTAGE - Install or don't Install Mon, 31 October 2005 02:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ive got a factory sunroof on my soarer and let me tell you , i dont think i can buy another car without on

nothing like having the 2 windows open and the sunroof open on a hot day Very Happy
Shraka
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: SUNROOF Advantage &DISVANTAGE - Install or don't Install Mon, 31 October 2005 02:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
coFF33 wrote on Mon, 31 October 2005 13:01

ive got a factory sunroof on my soarer and let me tell you , i dont think i can buy another car without on

nothing like having the 2 windows open and the sunroof open on a hot day Very Happy

Tell me about it! Sun on your face, wind in your hair (kinda). Smile
It's like all the advantages of a hardtop, with half the advantages of a softop! Smile Only disadvantage is a little extra weight and some maintenance to make sure the rubber seals don't die on you. Smile
dimmy77_03
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: SUNROOF Advantage &DISVANTAGE - Install or don't Install Mon, 31 October 2005 03:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've seen sunroofs which have a plastic or something cover under them, so if it's closed, the light/heat doesn't completely penetrate into the car. So i think if you get that, i'd probably o with the sunroof Very Happy
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: SUNROOF Advantage &DISVANTAGE - Install or don't Install Mon, 31 October 2005 03:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dimmy77_03 wrote on Mon, 31 October 2005 14:05

I've seen sunroofs which have a plastic or something cover under them, so if it's closed, the light/heat doesn't completely penetrate into the car. So i think if you get that, i'd probably o with the sunroof Very Happy

Most do dude, camry has a slide that goes across in the same material as the roof lining is made off.
osix
Regular

October 2005

Re: SUNROOF Advantage &DISVANTAGE - Install or don't Install Mon, 31 October 2005 15:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Advice and comment had been most vaule so far -

PRo -YES

Venting , air flow

Fresh air during hot days dry the interio

Sound good during country road driving

Totally pimp car cool with the chick

Improve visual during day -

CON - NO

LEAkage - Water coming in from hole and gap

Long term Damage to internal roof parts RUST

Wind Noise -

Flare from the Sun during Noon .

INSECT - i ride motorbike . if an INSect Hit you ar 50 mile an hour is really like a rubber bullet !! with HARD SHELL

Manmade mircowave oven during hot noon if you leave at carpark .

Damge the look the car if not install well .

OSIX .
SmellyTofu
Regular

May 2002
Re: SUNROOF Advantage &DISVANTAGE - Install or don't Install Mon, 31 October 2005 19:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oh.. add this to the list

Pro: An additional exit point should you roll over

Con: Once you roll over, glass will shower you as the window shatters.
osix
Regular

October 2005

Re: SUNROOF Advantage &DISVANTAGE - Install or don't Install Mon, 31 October 2005 20:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Advice and comment had been most vaule so far -

PRo -YES

Venting , air flow

Fresh air during hot days dry the interio

Sound good during country road driving

Totally pimp car cool with the chick

Improve visual during day -

An additional exit point should you roll over- sound funny but very very true - Thanks Smellytofu

CON - NO

LEAkage - Water coming in from hole and gap

Long term Damage to internal roof parts RUST

Wind Noise -

Flare from the Sun during Noon .

INSECT - i ride motorbike . if an INSect Hit you ar 50 mile an hour is really like a rubber bullet !! with HARD SHELL

Manmade mircowave oven during hot noon if you leave at carpark .

Damge the look the car if not install well .

Once you roll over, glass will shower you as the window shatters.- once again this is seriosuly no joke hehheh - Thanks Smellytofu

OSIX .

impefection is beauty
Pieman
Regular

February 2005
Re: SUNROOF Advantage &DISVANTAGE - Install or don't Install Tue, 01 November 2005 05:29 Go to previous message
If you drive the car hard, it may contribute to body flex
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:URGENT LEND ME AN ENGINE HOIST PLEASE
Next Topic:What are HD Systems Coilovers Like?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 13:47:04 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0058150291442871 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.