Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » correct 4A-GE oil filter?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
syncro
Regular

October 2004
correct 4A-GE oil filter? Wed, 26 October 2005 16:20 Go to next message
went to the toyota dealer today for a oil filter for my 4A-GE engine, they gave me one with part number 90080-91045, it says on the box

suitable for....
E-series
A-series (exc.4A-G series)
S-series(exc.3S-GTE)
4K,5Kseries

i asked if they were sure it was suitable and they said yes definately and not to mind the (exc.4A-G series) bit.

i heard something about the proper oil filter having a valve in it or something? anyone know the proper part number, im not putting this thing they gave me on it as i take 'exc' to mean excluding or except
  Send a private message to this user    
beige_bandit
Regular

September 2005
Re: correct 4A-GE oil filter? Wed, 26 October 2005 22:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
TRD filter number is : 00602-90915-006 for early bigport's

or just go to repco Confused and ask for a cheapy ryco or repco brand
filter for 4AGE

Actually ROF8 for ealry bigport, ROF21 for 100kw

The vavle you speak of is a bypass vavle, so if going with the latter make sure to ask if the filter's have or not. Confused
shinybluesteel
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002
Re: correct 4A-GE oil filter? Wed, 26 October 2005 23:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
had the same thing recently,

i paid the other dollar or so and got one that said it was for a 4AGE. listed under an MR2, interestingly enough it said it was for a 3SGTE too.

dont think it really matters, there are about 5 toyota oil filters i have seen on 4AGEs, and i must admit i cant tell the difference between this one and the ryco one i used to use.
illuminatus
Forums Junkie

March 2005
Re: correct 4A-GE oil filter? Thu, 27 October 2005 01:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the only thing that can happen with putting a wrong oil filter is you will change the oil pressure.
if you put a smaller one the oil pressure will go up.
i think this is why i blew a head gasket in the past.
toof
Forums Junkie

July 2003

Re: correct 4A-GE oil filter? Thu, 27 October 2005 02:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the larger filter that used to be listed for the 4age cant rememebr the part number, it is larger for the ryco z386 (which is the same size as the filter you will have got from toyota)

last time i needed a filter toyota gave me the smaller one and i enquired what happened to the larger one and they have said the part number has been superceeded and replaced with the smaller one.

your other option which i think ill be going for in future will be the k&n as they are a good filter comprable in price to the toyota items and they have a nice 24mm nut on the top of them so you can just hit them with a socket to remove and install Smile
EVOSTi
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      no
Re: correct 4A-GE oil filter? Thu, 27 October 2005 07:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
they are not superceded by the smaller one. when i worked at toyota a few years ago the smaller one was part number 90915-YZZC3 and the longer 4AGE one was 90915-YZZC4. these part numbers are old and have been superceded but there is an equivalent to the C4.

there are also aftermarket equivalents to the 4age oil filter, i always use them on customers cars. i cant remember the part number off my head but i can check tomorrow. its Z4XX rather than the shorter Z386.

almost every car i see with a 4age has the Z386, i dont know why people dont use the correct ones, prob cause even in workshop manuals like rellins they specify the smaller Z386 for some reason.
sxr01r
Regular

November 2003
Re: correct 4A-GE oil filter? Thu, 27 October 2005 12:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
to be totally honest in my opinion it doesnt really matter. i went to repco the other day and just asked for a 4a filter as all 4a engines have the same block and hence the same filter holder thingy. the filter i got was the same one i got when i went to toyota and asked for a ae92 91 sx 4age twin cam 16v and so on. the only difference was a few dollars and some toyota writing was replaced with repco.
Jonny2TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: correct 4A-GE oil filter? Fri, 28 October 2005 23:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Im a mechanic at a dealership and deal with this everyday. But i don't know the whole part numbers, I only recognise them as follows:

There are 2 basic filter diameters, for passanger petrol cars. The part numbers end in either E1, E2, D2, D4. These are the 4 main filters. The E1 and E2 are the small diameter. The D2 and D4 are the larger diamter. E2 is longer than E1. D4 is longer than D2.

E1 for 4A-C, 4A-FE, 7A-FE, 1ZZ-FE, and 3S, 5S-FE I think.

E2 for 3S-GTE, 4A-GE, 2ZZ-GE, 1AZ-FE, 2AZ-FE.

D2 for 2UZ-FE

D2/D4 will fit 2T/3T, 1FZ-FE

These are the Toyota filters made in Thialand. The Japan made filters have a different number.
feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: correct 4A-GE oil filter? Sun, 30 October 2005 11:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
good ol Ryco Z386 fits most of the toyota fleet Wink
drift86levin
Forums Junkie

August 2004
Re: correct 4A-GE oil filter? Sun, 30 October 2005 11:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
stuff the 386..to small...get a Z158..Z158 fits my GE/GZE, 4AFE, 18RG, and 3SFE/ 3SGE that i had..only filter you need..and no, it didn't change my oil pressure what soever.. compared to the E2 toyota genuine one i experimented with, and the bigger 158, then the little Z386..i just used the 158..more filter to ..filter with.. Rolling Eyes
TopSecret72
Regular

January 2005
Re: correct 4A-GE oil filter? Mon, 31 October 2005 10:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
VO12 in Valvoline filter
KAYZEE
Occasional Poster

May 2004
Re: correct 4A-GE oil filter? Mon, 31 October 2005 23:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have been using Ryco Z158 filters for about 10 years on my 4AGE race/rally motors 125-150 rwhp with both mineral and synthetic oils with no pressure differences and in those 10 years probably used 20-25 filters on two motors. I did use a few Z386 filters when Z158 not available.
Cheers.
lowAE92
Regular

June 2005
Re: correct 4A-GE oil filter? Tue, 01 November 2005 00:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i used to work at toyota and they said use an e1 but the first time i changed my filter it was longer than an e1 it was even stated in the parts catalog to use an e1 i just use e2's its a prick to change but i think its better
takai
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: correct 4A-GE oil filter? Tue, 01 November 2005 04:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
E1 is definately the right one to go. Also, the E2 has a different bypass valve to the E1 and causes nasty pressure drop when it jams up.
EVOSTi
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      no
Re: correct 4A-GE oil filter? Tue, 01 November 2005 05:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OMG the poor information in this thread.
everyone just use whatever oil filter you want, its your own engine.

takai, where are you getting this 'different bypass valve' information from? how can an oil filter 'jam up'?
most if not all oil filters have a bypass valve which only opens when the oil filter gets so blocked it cant flow enough oil, so it is bypassed as dirty oil is better than none.
takai
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: correct 4A-GE oil filter? Tue, 01 November 2005 05:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I get the bypass valve information from having an oil filter get clogged (E2) and the drop in oil pressure was significant. After this incident i pulled apart both an E1 and E2 and the bypass valve is noticably smaller.
'It' was meant to refer to the filter, not the bypass valve.
EVOSTi
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      no
Re: correct 4A-GE oil filter? Tue, 01 November 2005 06:12 Go to previous message
ok thats fair enough then. but have you had the smaller one clogged and see the diff in oil pressure? maybe same thing happens, i dont personally know.
but im thinking if your oil filter is getting blocked, you have much bigger issues than oil filter sizes Shocked that, or you dont like changing them.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:5mge head
Next Topic:LSD in old toyotas
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 20:48:27 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0051918029785156 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.