Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
xolent
Forums Junkie

October 2004
Threaded sleeves Tue, 01 November 2005 00:43 Go to next message
I know there is a whole bunch of people out there that have coilovers, I'm wondering if you guys have any advices on sets? I'm after ones that are made out of steel.

I'm particularly looking at whiteline sleeves, as I added them up they seemed pretty cheap.
I've read that Noltec is quite good, but I've been quoted 350-ish from them. The bloke that worked there gave me a discount and marked it to 270 before gst but I'm not sure whether it's still valid or not.
There is also Koni which I have read almost nothing about. Does anyone on here have them? There's a few of them me thinks, such as the one on importbitz.com and this one: http://www.kingmotorsports.com/product.asp?detail= 2559

I'm hoping there's alot of people who used the three I just mentioned, if so I'd like to hear from you. I'm confused on which one to get, the price ranges are starting to get me think. BLAH!

And what am I planning to do with them? I'm planning on cutting 40mm off my strut, use a 21mm spacer and use Tokico HTS shocks on (I don't even know yet!) springs.

Thanks guys!
  Send a private message to this user    
yrhkira
Regular

June 2005
Re: Threaded sleeves Tue, 01 November 2005 06:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi xolent,

There is plenty of options out there and long discussions about shortening struts and adding RCA spacers.

My advice:

Measure the strut tube diameter both in metric and imperial. You then can buy the sleeve to suit. There are metric inside diameters and imperial inside diameters. If you measure 2.00 inch then buy a 2.00 inch id sleeve.

Cut only enough out of the tube to suit the shock of choice if you have to. Then use the fact that the ride height will be adjustable to get the lower control arm parallel to the ground. Should not need to use an RCA.

If you use a shorter shock body and doing above will give you good suspension bump and rebound travel. Otherwise you are likely to run on the bump stops when lowered to the height of choice.

Make sure each sleeve has two lock nuts, a spring seat and a top hat to suit. The sleeve maker will advise what id spring to use.

Regards

Rodger
yrhkira
Regular

June 2005
Re: Threaded sleeves Tue, 01 November 2005 06:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
and

Any of the brands are good to use, go with best price and perhaps do a deal to include springs.

I think my front springs are around 320lb.
September_Squall
Forums Junkie

March 2005
Re: Threaded sleeves Tue, 01 November 2005 09:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If it helps, I've got the Koni sleeves, they were about $250 - $280 for sleeves, hats, seats and locking nuts. They work. They're really not that complex, dude, I'm sure Whiteline ones work and Noltec ones work and etc.
rollin_stock
Regular

February 2005
Re: Threaded sleeves Tue, 01 November 2005 10:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah ive got the koni's, they are as good as any but cheapest, just dont get aluminium shite sleeved ones and you'll be fine.
shinybluesteel
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002
Re: Threaded sleeves Tue, 01 November 2005 11:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
from what i can tell, koni and noltec ones are the same with one important exception

koni ones are anodised orange

noltec ones are anodised blue.
xolent
Forums Junkie

October 2004
Re: Threaded sleeves Tue, 01 November 2005 12:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lol thanks guys!

I thought noltec ones were that gold/greeny colour?

from importbitz, the sleeves seem to be silver coloured? Blah i'm not good with colours

http://importbitz.com/images/sleevekit.jpg

teh KoNi'Z

Anyways, I made an enquiree to whiteline in which they replied:

Quote:

Hi John,

We do sell coil-over threaded sleeves and hardware. For a 2 inch strut,
you have a choice of 63mm and 65mm spring.

KFH1025 Threaded sleeve, 2" strut - $34.90
KFH2025 Spring seat, 63mm ID - $33.90
KFH2026 Spring seat, 65mm ID - $28.60
KFH3025 Lock ring - $25.80
KFH4015 Top spring seat, 63mm ID - $44.70
KFH4020 Top spring seat, 65mm ID - $41.10
KFH0010 C spanner - $22.70

Above prices are per piece, including GST, excluding freight.

Threaded sleeved and spanner are made from steel, all other components
are made from aluminium and are anodised.

Hope that this helps.

Regards,
Wojtek Rogulski

So it's roughly 305-ish incl gst
I can run a 63/65 mm spring, what's the common size?

Shit I do not know.

And I've read some threads on springs, I've read Eibach are good coilover springs, but for the price they're worth, I might as well look for an alternative. If ANYONE out there, that has the set up that I'm planning to set, what spring did you go for and why?

Thanks for the reply guys. Yeh I knew how they worked and so on, I just wanted to see what were better. They're the same shit, really, but I just wanted some oppinions.

While I'm at it, for everyone that welded their own sleeves, did you guys just made continious welds along the bottom of the sleeve or made "spot" welds on them (i hope i'm using the right terminology). As I imagined (with my uber super first year engineering knowledge) they would be under some amount of stress. So if I did make continuous weld, and it cracks then the whole weld will crack right?

[Updated on: Tue, 01 November 2005 14:19]

xolent
Forums Junkie

October 2004
Re: Threaded sleeves Tue, 01 November 2005 14:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
running cusco cambertops are also in mind. what's the business of helper springs and upper hats (like the one t3 sells?)?
September_Squall
Forums Junkie

March 2005
Re: Threaded sleeves Tue, 01 November 2005 23:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tender coils can help keep the spring captive at full droop if your chosen spring length is too short to do this on its own. The benefit is they have a very low rate (30lb/in? or so) which compresses fully first under load so the effective rate of the suspension is not changed. The coils are generally flat so that when compressed the tender coils are only 1" or so thick.

Those Koni sleeves pictured above are what I use.

[Updated on: Tue, 01 November 2005 23:07]

yrhkira
Regular

June 2005
Re: Threaded sleeves Tue, 01 November 2005 23:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
xolent,

Go with the 63mm springs.

This will give the most clearance for wheels and tyres, as the mounting of the sleeves is usually below the rim/tyre line.

If you go without the keeper/tender spring the bottom spring plate can end up located above the tyre and a wider rim can be used.

If a keeper spring is used, you loose about 15mm clearance to the tyre as the lower platform is moved under the rim/tyre line.

One benifit of using the keeper spring concept:-

Call it a "second spring" and you can play around with this spring rate. It can give you a smooth street ride to absorb the cats eyes on the road but when loaded up under track conditions closes up letting the main spring take over.

I added a keeper spring to my TA-22. To keep my rims I had to space out the hubs. This also gave me the reason for my brake choice.

Welding varies. Do not just spot weld. I have two sets of struts. The first welded by Brian Dunbar at Neal Bates' Workshop in Canberra. He welded about 90% in three sections. The second set by Ross Commons of Develish racing in Queanbeyan, he welded 100% circle.

Comes down to quality of weld. Both Brian and Ross have been doing this stuff for years, so trust a good welder/fabricator to do the right thing.

Regards

Rodger

[Updated on: Tue, 01 November 2005 23:58]

xolent
Forums Junkie

October 2004
Re: Threaded sleeves Sun, 06 November 2005 11:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for the reply guys.

What are a more common ID of springs? 63 or 65? Or are they basically the same?
yrhkira
Regular

June 2005
Re: Threaded sleeves Mon, 07 November 2005 02:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Some use the 65mm, some use the 63mm probably 50/50. Both do the same job. Make sure you get springs that match the seats, that is all. May find the smaller is better priced.

Regards

Rodger
Wezelton
Regular

July 2004
Re: Threaded sleeves Mon, 07 November 2005 06:14 Go to previous message
Anyone know how much a pair of 8kg 63mm springs would cost? Im up for coil overs too. Not fussy on brand either.

Wes
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:AE86 20v - Use 4ac starter or 20v starter?
Next Topic:Cleaning Alloys
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 18:55:03 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0057950019836426 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.