Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » ARP Studs and Cometic MHG for 7MGTE (torque settings?)

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
TruenoGTAPEX
Regular

July 2002

ARP Studs and Cometic MHG for 7MGTE (torque settings?) Mon, 31 October 2005 16:16 Go to next message
Heyas,

I bought some ARP head studs, and a cometic metal headgasket for my supra, i dont have any torque instructions from ARP with the studs (workshop maybe lost them? i dont know), and cometic told me to use ARP's specs.

I have read through this forums many mages of 7m torque settings etc, but there was no definitive answer on what the procedure for this combination might be.

I already blew one cometic headgasket only 200kms after installing it (long story), but now have the head back after $3000 of valves, springs, retainers and reco work - and i REALLY dont want to see it blow again.

So, does anyone have the proper ARP specs for torquing down the studs, secondly i read in one of the posts on here that people suggested that arp's specs were on the loose side and to perhaps go even tighter again? Any thoughts here?

Lastly, I am wondering if the surface of the head can be checked without having the motor removed? I really dont want to have the motor stripped down and the block decked, but the fact the last cometic gasket blew (even with arp bolts) makes me a tad weary. The engine did however have a possible air lock issue with the custom radiator setup.

The vehicle is a 650hp+ 7mgte by the way, so im not mucking around, but i really really really want to avoid pulling the motor out and stripping it to deck it etc, so im hoping it can be checked 'in car'.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Mark
  Send a private message to this user    
badboybubby
Regular

On Probation

March 2004
Re: ARP Studs and Cometic MHG for 7MGTE (torque settings?) Mon, 31 October 2005 22:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Where'd you get ur ARP studs ?
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: ARP Studs and Cometic MHG for 7MGTE (torque settings?) Mon, 31 October 2005 22:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the ARP website has the torque specs in a pdf
TE72_Turbo
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: ARP Studs and Cometic MHG for 7MGTE (torque settings?) Tue, 01 November 2005 06:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Each ARP stud has a different torque specification depending on the stud's diameter & thread.

If they are 10x1.25mm (They will most likely be this or 12mm, I can't recall for the 7M), then the recommended torque setting is 60 foot pounds BUT ONLY when using ARP's supplied moly lube. Specs are different if you use oil, which from memory must be a monograde 30 weight oil.

Cheers
Phil
TruenoGTAPEX
Regular

July 2002

Re: ARP Studs and Cometic MHG for 7MGTE (torque settings?) Tue, 01 November 2005 07:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
got the studs from pascoe performance in vic - pascoe vale.

i cant find the arp website, anyone got a link?

argh so many different numbers for torque settings lol.

Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: ARP Studs and Cometic MHG for 7MGTE (torque settings?) Tue, 01 November 2005 07:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
with engine oil lube it stated 120ft/lbs from memory or ~70 with arp moly lube

MAKE shure the block is strait, smooth and level, get the head hardness tested to make shure its not soft on the exhaust side

remove the rivets that are incorrectly placed on the gasket

goto www.supramania.com

Allan
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: ARP Studs and Cometic MHG for 7MGTE (torque settings?) Tue, 01 November 2005 08:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
TruenoGTAPEX wrote on Tue, 01 November 2005 18:28

i cant find the arp website, anyone got a link?

seriously dude - google??

im not going to link it on principle!
Laughing Laughing

come to think of it, its be written many times on this forum already - search !
TruenoGTAPEX
Regular

July 2002

Re: ARP Studs and Cometic MHG for 7MGTE (torque settings?) Tue, 01 November 2005 08:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
in the time it took you to write that whine you could have helped a fellow toy-modder out Wink

ive already looked for arp's site BEFORE i made the initial post asking..

http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=en&q=arp+he ad+stud+website&meta=

among other searches simply comes up with retailers sites.

what keywords did you use to get results on the arp site?

Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: ARP Studs and Cometic MHG for 7MGTE (torque settings?) Tue, 01 November 2005 08:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
try asking here

http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t= 13&page=132

a few SERIOUS 7M's

such as this one also in Melbourne...

IJ.

Updated Engine specs Smile!

New Motor Specs!

Fresh GTE block
7M fully counter weighted crank
+17 thou Ross Forged Pistons
Pauter Rods
Teflon Crank Scraper
ARP Mains studs
New GTE pump

Wade Cams .351"/9mm lift 280 degrees duration 226@50thou
+1mm Ferrea Valves
Ferrea Sport Compact Valve Springs
Ferrea Titanium Valve Spring Retainers
Ferrea Valve Seat Locators
Shimless Buckets
Brand new ported head
AEM cam gears
ARP head studs

GT35/40R 700hp roller Wastegated turbo
2.5" Aluminium Hardpipes
PWR 6x10 Water to air IC
SS Autochrome Header
New design FFI intake manifold
Full 3" exhaust

Msd DIS4+ x2 CDI units
Msd Dis CDI coils x6
Wolf 3dV4+ 6 channel ECU
Wolf Wideband 02
Crank Trigger Ignition

OS Giken Twin plate clutch
OS Giken Flywheel
Tremec TKO/500 5 speed

[Updated on: Tue, 01 November 2005 08:35]

TruenoGTAPEX
Regular

July 2002

Re: ARP Studs and Cometic MHG for 7MGTE (torque settings?) Tue, 01 November 2005 08:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok, got their site eventually but their catalogue is kinda confusing. i wish it was a simple 'HERES WHAT SPEC TO USE FOR THIS BOLT'

i dont have any arp moly lube left as this engines been together once before.

i found the part number from the arp site for the 7mgte studs, but it has a table showing thread sizes and stuff to look up the torque settings..

not being an idiot, but at the time time, not being a mechanic, im not really sure i want to risk my engine to my guesswork, as such i was just asking for a little bit of help.

http://www.arp-bolts.com/

is their site, theres some insane amount of reading to get to the torque table (page 24), then theres the bit showing the 7mgte part number (page 37).

any extra input would be appreciated.

thanks.

TruenoGTAPEX
Regular

July 2002

Re: ARP Studs and Cometic MHG for 7MGTE (torque settings?) Tue, 01 November 2005 09:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
"remove the rivets that are incorrectly placed on the gasket"

??

which rivets are incorrectly placed?

Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: ARP Studs and Cometic MHG for 7MGTE (torque settings?) Tue, 01 November 2005 10:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://www.stillsports.com/mkiii/rivit2.jpg

http://www.stillsports.com/mkiii/rivit1.jpg

After being ground off:

http://www.stillsports.com/mkiii/rivit3.jpg
TruenoGTAPEX
Regular

July 2002

Re: ARP Studs and Cometic MHG for 7MGTE (torque settings?) Tue, 01 November 2005 10:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
is this a specific fault with cometic headgaskets?

im surprised they didnt suggest this fix when i emailed them. theres no mention of probs on their site.

But ill look into it further. that certainly makes sense anyways. but HKS ones have the same rivets dont they? wouldnt the rivets just squash away?

do all the rivets have to be removed? or just specific ones?

thanks for this help.

Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: ARP Studs and Cometic MHG for 7MGTE (torque settings?) Tue, 01 November 2005 10:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
apparently just that one, i suggest you check it on your engine tho'

ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: ARP Studs and Cometic MHG for 7MGTE (torque settings?) Tue, 01 November 2005 11:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
TruenoGTAPEX wrote on Tue, 01 November 2005 19:24

in the time it took you to write that whine you could have helped a fellow toy-modder out

yup, maybe, but how much extra are you learning about head studs by finding out for yourself??

so much more than xxxft/lbs im sure
Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: ARP Studs and Cometic MHG for 7MGTE (torque settings?) Tue, 01 November 2005 11:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ed_ma61 wrote on Tue, 01 November 2005 22:29

in the time it took you to write that whine you could have helped a fellow toy-modder out

yup, maybe, but how much extra are you learning about head studs by finding out for yourself??

*nods* priceless, better then a drunk school girl eh marky! Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked
Big T
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: ARP Studs and Cometic MHG for 7MGTE (torque settings?) Tue, 01 November 2005 12:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Email ARP directly. That's what i did when i wasn't sure on the torque specs. You should find a contact link somewhere on their homepage. Just give them the part number and ask away. They replied within about a week.

Eddie.
TruenoGTAPEX
Regular

July 2002

Re: ARP Studs and Cometic MHG for 7MGTE (torque settings?) Tue, 01 November 2005 18:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ed_ma61 wrote on Tue, 01 November 2005 12:29

to be honest, i dont really want to learn what ft/lbs procedures, ive put together a few engines in my time, but this time round a workshop is doing it, i just want to tell them 'specs from arp are blah blah'. i dont think they need to hear any theory behind it.

Quote:

*nods* priceless, better then a drunk school girl eh marky!

LOL! god i dunno which options more appealing, head studs or drunk girls.. Wink *considers carefully* LOL.

Allan - do i know you? lol. hmm.. someones got some kind of profile on me i swear heheh.

thanks also allan for the heads up regarding the cometic gasket rivet issue. I emailed cometic, the following as soon as i saw that pic:

--
Sent: Tuesday, November 01, 2005 6:11 AM
To: 'Info@cometic'
Subject: RE: MHG Torque settings

Hey Kevin, thanks for your prompt reply.

I have sent ARP a request for this information.

On another note, I was advised to remove certain rivets from the cometic headgasket, due to it possibly being a cause of my last cometic gasket failing?

I am curious to hear someone from your tech departments input into this.

Here are some pictures I was provided in regards to this matter:

Before:
http://www.stillsports.com/mkiii/rivit2.jpg
http://www.stillsports.com/mkiii/rivit1.jpg

After:
http://www.stillsports.com/mkiii/rivit3.jpg

thanks again for your time,

Mark
--

His reply as follows:

--
Mark,

In your situation I would strongly suggest removing any rivet that will not allow the head to sit completely flush on the block. The pictures I saw show that what you did was correct. The rivet would cause a problem by not allowing the head to be tightened down properly thus leading to gasket failure. You did the right thing by removing the rivet this time around. If you have any other questions please feel free to ask.

Kevyn Kistner
Technical Sales
Cometic Gasket
--

Im surprised they dont mention upon sale that some rivets may need to be removed.. weird ey.

Anyone got a definitive answer on the ARP bolt thing at all? I have emailed them but if its going to take a week its a bit too long of a wait, so any people who have the exact info id be thankful to.

Again thanks for everyones input.

TruenoGTAPEX
Regular

July 2002

Re: ARP Studs and Cometic MHG for 7MGTE (torque settings?) Tue, 01 November 2005 19:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I also sent this slight complaint to cometic, after he openly admitted the rivet should be removed.. hopefully theres some kind of answer or explanation....

--

Thanks for your help again.

Could I ask how it is that cometic allowed such a flaw to make it to production, without supporting documentation to suggest that this may occur in some engine configurations?

I am somewhat disappointed as we are almost certain this contributed to the last cometic headgasket failure, and as such cost me AU$300 to replace the item a second time around.

I had been recommending cometic gaskets simply for the fact they were 1/3 of the price of a HKS one (and I had heard good things from a mechanic colleague who had been installing them on turbocharged Hondas here in Australia), but this flaw isn’t particularly a good one, especially if im recommending them to people!

I bought the gaskets through authorized channels and was not advised of such a flaw, and should another friend had not pointed out his rivet observation with aid of his photographs, we might have made the same mistake when putting the engine together this time around.

Thankyou for your time,

Mark

--
Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: ARP Studs and Cometic MHG for 7MGTE (torque settings?) Tue, 01 November 2005 19:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
TruenoGTAPEX wrote on Wed, 02 November 2005 05:14

Allan - do i know you? lol. hmm.. someones got some kind of profile on me i swear heheh.

Well lets just say you wont be geting an invite to any of my BBQ's, but seeing this helps out all 7M owners you get a reply

[Updated on: Tue, 01 November 2005 19:33]

Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: ARP Studs and Cometic MHG for 7MGTE (torque settings?) Wed, 02 November 2005 01:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If this rivet is such an issue, you would think they would have fixed it by now or at least tell customers when they buy it. That is pretty poor form.
TruenoGTAPEX
Regular

July 2002

Re: ARP Studs and Cometic MHG for 7MGTE (torque settings?) Wed, 02 November 2005 03:43 Go to previous message
Quote:

If this rivet is such an issue, you would think they would have fixed it by now or at least tell customers when they buy it. That is pretty poor form.

yeah this is what i thought, and why i sent them an email. Im curious to read what they might reply. Will post reply when i get it.

Quote:

Quote:

TruenoGTAPEX wrote on Wed, 02 November 2005 05:14

Well lets just say you wont be geting an invite to any of my BBQ's, but seeing this helps out all 7M owners you get a reply

well that sounds a bit harsh Wink but considering i dont think i know you (do i?) im not surprised im not getting invites to your bbq's.

sheesh, take ONE friends sister to a yr12 formal a few years ago (as a favour) and get schoolgirl jokes ever since. LOL. Oh well.

Amusing how rumours go round Wink

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:JZX90 Body Loom diagram?
Next Topic:wiring a supra trans into a soarer...
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 23:24:15 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0078048706054688 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.