Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
toof
Forums Junkie

July 2003

jaycar digital tacho problem Tue, 01 November 2005 03:47 Go to next message
this arvo i whipped up a jaycar digitial tacho kit for the corona. the thing sounds like a tractor regardless of how much gas you give it so hence putting the tacho in it.

ive got it all together it powers up no problem.

when i hook it to the car it is giving the correct voltages to the PIC +5V on 4&14. nothing smokes. nothing gets hot.

when i hook the signal wire to the negative side of the coil the car refuses to start.

i disconncted it starts ok, touched the signal wire to the coil.. instantly stalls.

any thoughts... ?

oh and its a 1X engine in an XT130 corona/.
  Send a private message to this user    
bassy
Regular

July 2004
Re: jaycar digital tacho problem Tue, 01 November 2005 08:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
+ve charge going through tacho onto -ve on coil? maybe wrong wire your hooking or something within the unit itself is crossed
toof
Forums Junkie

July 2003

Re: jaycar digital tacho problem Tue, 01 November 2005 08:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
my flat mate just gave me a hand and we gave it another shot.

i thought perhaps the tach was sucking too much energy from the coil so i placed a resistor inline with the input to the tach.

at first i tried 500kOhms. it ran fine but gave no signal on the tach. i stepped down in values until i got to about 400Ohms. then i got a signal on the tach (too high a reading though) and the car ran.. any lower resistance and the car stalled.

when the car is running without the tach connected i put the multimeter from the -ve of the coil to the chasis. it was measuring between 300-400hz when idling.

any thoughts ?>
toof
Forums Junkie

July 2003

Re: jaycar digital tacho problem Tue, 01 November 2005 11:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
any thoughts people ?!?!?
TA-022
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

March 2004
Re: jaycar digital tacho problem Tue, 01 November 2005 11:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you running a ballast resistor?

if not may be why your needing to add resistance? i dunno shot in the dark here.

too high a reading? prob just have to set the buttons right.

have built and installed this on a 2t but found the readout to be too slow. improved accuracy of readings though.
toof
Forums Junkie

July 2003

Re: jaycar digital tacho problem Tue, 01 November 2005 11:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i have set the buttons to configure it for a 4 cyl engine and it hasnt made a difference..

i havent got any resistorin there atm. there is what looks like a large ceramic resitor connected to the +ve of the coil however.
GTS_215KW
Occasional Poster

June 2003

Re: jaycar digital tacho problem Tue, 01 November 2005 12:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
check for shorts on the coil- line on your tacho, the only thing to stop the engine from working would be if the coil- was being held at a constant voltage.

the ballast resistor in the coil+ shouldnt have an effect on the tacho.

hope that helps man, unfortunately i havent built a PIC based tacho, so i cant help much beyond that.

Rudi
stealth007008
Regular

June 2005
Re: jaycar digital tacho problem Tue, 01 November 2005 15:28 Go to previous message
man if u ask me, i would never buy a digital tach... cars got one, safc got one eboost got one - their all fucked should have bought a analoge one - at least u dont have to stare at it to see whats happening. id get one from a wrecker if moneys the problem
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:3SGTE dates
Next Topic:GUIDE - How to wire up thermofans
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun May 5 08:59:06 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0064589977264404 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.