Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Shraka
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Doom Fri, 28 October 2005 05:14 Go to next message
I thought I should post this up as nobody else has.

I went into this movie having not seen any of the trailers. I was aware that the rock was in it, and that there was an first person sequence, but that's about it.

Even though my expectations for plot and acting where low, this movie STILL managed to disapoint on that front. The character development was lame, and would be better left out entirely. The attempt to build suspense failed misserably and the action was mostly boring and fairly straightfoward.

Okay, before I rip into this movie with spoilers I have to establish something. I am a big fan of Doom 1 and 2. I loved the games. I read the comic (which was strange at best) and 2 of the books (after which I gave up 'cuz it got dumb). My brother and I used take turns playing Doom 2 on ultra violence and see how far we could get without saving and without dying. We then kicked it up to nightmare when we found we could get up to level 25 on ultra violence (and our little chalenge became a long and boring process). Spoilers to follow, not that you'll care as the story is as boring as hell...

SPOILERS TO FOLLOW!

Okay, first things first. The demons in this movie - the ones I used to shoot in the face with shotguns and a veriety of other weapons - are not even demons. They're genetic experiments... I Mean... WHAT THE HELL!? The WHOLE CONCEPT of Doom was that they where demons from hell, all your friends where dead and you had to kill them all!
I was willing to let go the bit about all your friends being dead (I mean that'd make a pretty average movie). I will let slide that none of them looked anything like the doom guy. I can tolerate that they didn't even bother dressing them in the classic Doom Garb. I could overlook that the main character didn't die and go to hell (like in the game). But the whole hell bit? Kinda thought that'd make it into the movie!

They also only had 3 (or 4 if you count the hell knight, which I dont) different kinds of monsters. A Zombie, an Imp, and a Pinky. These, were all actualy the same monster. A person is infected and becomes a Zombie that eventualy turns into the Imp. One of the characters - who was named Pinky for a reason that is either beyond me or non existant - turns into a slightly larger critter that looks more like a pinky Demon.
There was also no Shotgun, No Rocket Launcher, and no Plasma Gun (my three favorite doom weapons). They did inlcude a BFG, but it didn't act much like the BFG 9000 from Doom, although it did blow shit up good.

I could not have been more disapointed with this movie!

Apparently ID software was involved from start to finish and approved everything... I dunno WHAT THE HELL they where THINKING 'cuz this totaly betrays the whole concept of doom.

If this didn't have the Doom name on it, and The Rock in it, this movie would have bombed so fast it isn't funny.

I'm giving it 1 out of 10 personaly.

If I knew nothing about Doom, and didn't care, I might give it a 2/10, but that's it.

They destroyed my childhood. Sad
  Send a private message to this user    
Shraka
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Doom Fri, 28 October 2005 05:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If you're interested, here's the background story for the origonal Doom:

Quote:

The Story So Far:

You're a marine, one of Earth's toughest, hardened in combat and trained for action. Three years ago you assaulted a superior officer for ordering his soldiers to fire upon civilians. He and his body cast were shipped to Pearl Harbor, while you were transferred to Mars, home of the Union Aerospace Corporation.

The UAC is a multi-planetary conglomerate with radioactive waste facilities on Mars and its two moons, Phobos and Deimos. With no action for fifty million miles, your day consisted of suckin' dust and watchin' restricted flicks in the rec room.

For the last four years the military, UAC's biggest supplier, has used the remote facilities on Phobos and Deimos to conduct various secret projects, including research on inter-dimensional space travel. So far they have been able to open gateways between Phobos and Deimos, throwing a few gadgets into one and watching them come out the other. Recently however, the Gateways have grown dangerously unstable. Military "volunteers" entering them have either disappeared or been stricken with a strange form of insanitybabbling vulgarities, bludgeoning anything that breathes, and finally suffering an untimely death of full-body explosion. Matching heads with torsos to send home to the folks became a full-time job. Latest military reports state that the research is suffering a small set-back, but everything is under control.

A few hours ago, Mars received a garbled message from Phobos. "We require immediate military support. Something fraggin' evil is coming out of the Gateways! Computer systems have gone berserk!" The rest was incoherent. Soon afterwards, Deimos simply vanished from the sky. Since then, attempts to establish contact with either moon have been unsuccessful.

You and your buddies, the only combat troop for fifty million miles were sent up pronto to Phobos. You were ordered to secure the perimeter of the base while the rest of the team went inside. For several hours, your radio picked up the sounds of combat: guns firing, men yelling orders, screams, bones cracking, then finally, silence. Seems your buddies are dead.

It's up to you

Things aren't looking too good. You'll never navigate off the planet on your own. Plus, all the heavy weapons have been taken by the assault team leaving you with only a pistol. If only you could get your hands around a plasma rifle or even a shotgun you could take a few down on your way out. Whatever killed your buddies deserves a couple of pellets in the forehead. Securing your helmet, you exit the landing pod. Hopefully you can find more substantial firepower somewhere within the station.

As you walk through the main entrance of the base, you hear animal-like growls echoing throughout the distant corridors. They know you're here. There's no turning back now.

I'll get the chapter stories soon.
rthy
Forums Junkie

January 2004
wtf is a jabber? a punch line?
Re: Doom Fri, 28 October 2005 05:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
by reading this... i wanna play doom again... Confused
Shraka
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Doom Fri, 28 October 2005 05:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Me too actualy. Smile

But the lack of mouse controll always gets me these days.
I wish Doom 3 was a bit better.
Yian
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

August 2004
Re: Doom Fri, 28 October 2005 05:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'd it was based on the latest Doom. The monsters/zombies look eerily similar to those of the game. But yeah, storyline was lame. Lots of blood which is good. And the blonde chic (Rosamund Pike). By golly is she an item Very Happy

And I'm guessing that C52 (whatever its called) is the Ultra health thingo that you can collect?

Shraka
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Doom Fri, 28 October 2005 05:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yian wrote on Fri, 28 October 2005 15:34

I'd it was based on the latest Doom. The monsters/zombies look eerily similar to those of the game. But yeah, storyline was lame. Lots of blood which is good. And the blonde chic (Rosamund Pike). By golly is she an item Very Happy

And I'm guessing that C52 (whatever its called) is the Ultra health thingo that you can collect?

It wasn't really based on the latest game. It looked kinda like the latest game - Doom3 (a bit). But in that, it was still a teliporter to hell. In this they totaly ruined it!
rthy
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: Doom Fri, 28 October 2005 05:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JDOOM!!! or ZDOOM!

they need hell, hell is where the action and creppy shit happen and the ownage and stuff stuff
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Doom Fri, 28 October 2005 05:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Movie reviews have been slamming it. Rolling Eyes
ViPeR_NiPPleX
Forums Junkie

July 2003
Re: Doom Fri, 28 October 2005 05:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
twas pretty average, not very scary Razz

did make me want to play the games again.
Phrostbyte
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

April 2004
Re: Doom Fri, 28 October 2005 13:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah I remember reading that story when I was 7 and went out to buy Doom on my SNES with my pocket money. I'm still gonna see this movie, maybe even twice, just for the sheer fact that it is Doom. But they did seriously ruin it. I've seen the trailers, and the first thing, about the "genetic modification" I was like WTF THAT AINT THE STORY!? YOU'VE FUCKED THE MOVIE ALREADY iD!! Then the rest of the trailer... omg...

They should have relied alot more on the original story. If they had've done that, I guarantee they would have got 10x higher ratings and it would have sent people back over and over again to watch it... Even just two or three of the dudes in the glitchy graphic suits and the funky helmets, and some of those flying skull head things, and the big skeleton thing that opens its arms and sends a fire wave at you, would have made the movie a complete hit. Old gamers would have gone absolutely bonkers over it.

iD.. you failed miserably with this poor attempt, I suggest all of you to re-assess your lives you poor excuses for human beings..

Kev.
Shraka
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Doom Fri, 28 October 2005 14:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OMG DON'T WATCH IT MORE THAN ONCE! If you MUST see it more than once, get it on video or download it or something! THESE PEOPLE DO NOT DESERVE ANY MONEY AT ALL!

I wasn't expecting much, but they still failed to deliver.
coFF33
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: Doom Fri, 28 October 2005 14:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i downloaded it about 3 days ago and was upset Sad

there was not 1 red demon or flying fire skull thing

just some "genetically modifyied human/imps"

sad ..

*goes back to watching terminator 2*
Yumbo
Occasional Poster

August 2003
Re: Doom Fri, 28 October 2005 14:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
it could only have been made better if the rock was beating up the monsters using the bit of 2 by 4 he beat up the guys in walking tall with, and if the other guy was jonny knoxville haha
jackel
Forums Junkie

August 2003

Re: Doom Fri, 28 October 2005 18:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i'm going to see it sunday, anyone wanna explain wtf is the part with the chainsaw on the movie ?
coFF33
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: Doom Fri, 28 October 2005 20:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
what would have made me happy is if the rock snipered a demon and then raised his eyebrow .

that would have pleased me Very Happy

[Updated on: Fri, 28 October 2005 22:13]

bathurst-91
Forums Junkie

April 2004

Re: Doom Fri, 28 October 2005 22:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nice review Shraka.

I havent even seen the movie but I was expecting exactly what you typed up.. the makers totally not caring for the original script. Which as you posted is FARKN awesome. Im also a DOOM fan from wayback single player wise. I didnt get into online gaming until the Quake beta launch on the net. But needless to say im an FPS fan from the beginning.

Why dont movie makers understand that if they make a movie based on something cult like it MUST be AS close to the original incarnation (whatever form that may be) as possible.

Seriously, the plot for DOOM as a game is over the top. But why step away from it to make it a movie?

It proves to me one thing. ID software are a bunch of very very lucky guys in that they really have no idea whats good and whats bad but have had a talent for seemingly fluking hits! Looks like it hasnt extended to the movies.

Lets face it Doom1&2 rocked. Doom3 had a brilliant concept and features gamewise but it got dull fast. The movie could have followed Doom3 EXACTLY and probably wouldve turned out better.

Well thats one game -> movie franchised ruined

but I still have hope for 3 biggies;

Quake2, Duke3d, Half Life

All would (if done correctly) make farken awesome movies.

While were on the topic of games->movies. Does anyone else see the uncanny resemblance between Pirates of the Carribean (awesome movie) and "The Secret of Monkey Island" ?
Shraka
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Doom Fri, 28 October 2005 23:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It's not like the origonal Doom game storyline is that in depth. It gives the writers LOTS of room to move.

But why even bother putting the DOOM title on this movie? It's nothing like doom AT ALL!

They had the oportunity to make a cult movie! They didn't have to make it that good for Doom players to LOVE it. They just had to keep it true to the origonal Doom idea. That wouldn't be hard. Why did ID software fuck it about so much? Why did they approve this god awfull script?
ndgcpr
Forums Junkie

April 2005
Re: Doom Sun, 30 October 2005 01:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i always sorta thought this movie would be a bit of a joke, when i heard the trailer, mainly because of the whole hell thing (or lack thereof i should say) . so i doubt i will be watching it now, i can wait till TV.
rthy
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: Doom Sun, 30 October 2005 02:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i just watched it... Rolling Eyes
the only good part was the FPS bit when he started killing, and lots of it...

Squid
Forums Junkie

August 2003

Re: Doom Sun, 30 October 2005 08:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bathurst-91 wrote on Sat, 29 October 2005 08:03

But needless to say im an FPS fan from the beginning.

Dude, doom wasn 't the beggining, wolfenstien was awesome and was the predecessor to doom! I think there may have even been one earlier than wolfenstien!
EldarO
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: Doom Sun, 30 October 2005 11:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I went and saw it today.

I wasnt expecting anything, and i have to say, it did its job as a movie to pass the time, that i didnt really give a crap about, and i could walk away without wondering "wtf?"

That said, ive never played doom3, because i dont have a computer that can support it, although i will hopefully have one soon.

ill give it a 5/10 for shits and giggles.

i really want a half-life movie to be made,
Gordon Freeman > all

Eldar.O.
rthy
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: Doom Sun, 30 October 2005 12:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hl movie = no gordon freeman or anything to do with the original game

i guess they would make it into a love story Rolling Eyes
SupraPete
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: Doom Sun, 30 October 2005 12:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I saw it on friday night. I was BORED the whole time. It had 10-15 minute slots where nothing happened, then thered be action for 2 minutes, then nothing for another 10 mins.

I've got a few questions that I didn't get answered during the film:

What was the secret between sister/brother? What "happened on this spot"? It was built up through the whole movie, and was never answered. It was something to do with their parents dieing, but never went into the how/why.

If 1 grenade will blow up the transporter thing (and everything else), why give pinky 3?

Where did he get a chainsaw from? WTF was it doing on mars?

Why didn't the sister take the "medicine"? She'd have the same genetic makup of the brother (being twins).

What happened to the backup that the guy in the toilet called for? What was the purpose of putting it in the movie? If they had've come down the elevator and all got wiped out because the zombies were too strong - fair enough. Or they could've been waiting at the top of the elevator or something, but instead it was just dead script.

It was a tax deduction, but still a waste of money.
EldarO
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: Doom Sun, 30 October 2005 13:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rthy wrote on Sun, 30 October 2005 20:19

hl movie = no gordon freeman or anything to do with the original game

i guess they would make it into a love story Rolling Eyes

HL and Doom have completely different story lines though...

in doom, the character is unnamed and you dont see him interact with anyone.

HL has Gordon Freeman, a full story line, a back story and all the goodies.

Doom is just about blowing shit up. and the movie showed this in vivid detail! (see: Big Fucking Gun)

the only thing they share in common is the one-man war theory, and aliens.

Eldar.O.

Eldar.O.
rthy
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: Doom Sun, 30 October 2005 13:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

The Story So Far:

You're a marine, one of Earth's toughest, hardened in combat and trained for action. Three years ago you assaulted a superior officer for ordering his soldiers to fire upon civilians. He and his body cast were shipped to Pearl Harbor, while you were transferred to Mars, home of the Union Aerospace Corporation.

The UAC is a multi-planetary conglomerate with radioactive waste facilities on Mars and its two moons, Phobos and Deimos. With no action for fifty million miles, your day consisted of suckin' dust and watchin' restricted flicks in the rec room.

For the last four years the military, UAC's biggest supplier, has used the remote facilities on Phobos and Deimos to conduct various secret projects, including research on inter-dimensional space travel. So far they have been able to open gateways between Phobos and Deimos, throwing a few gadgets into one and watching them come out the other. Recently however, the Gateways have grown dangerously unstable. Military "volunteers" entering them have either disappeared or been stricken with a strange form of insanitybabbling vulgarities, bludgeoning anything that breathes, and finally suffering an untimely death of full-body explosion. Matching heads with torsos to send home to the folks became a full-time job. Latest military reports state that the research is suffering a small set-back, but everything is under control.

A few hours ago, Mars received a garbled message from Phobos. "We require immediate military support. Something fraggin' evil is coming out of the Gateways! Computer systems have gone berserk!" The rest was incoherent. Soon afterwards, Deimos simply vanished from the sky. Since then, attempts to establish contact with either moon have been unsuccessful.

You and your buddies, the only combat troop for fifty million miles were sent up pronto to Phobos. You were ordered to secure the perimeter of the base while the rest of the team went inside. For several hours, your radio picked up the sounds of combat: guns firing, men yelling orders, screams, bones cracking, then finally, silence. Seems your buddies are dead.

It's up to you

Things aren't looking too good. You'll never navigate off the planet on your own. Plus, all the heavy weapons have been taken by the assault team leaving you with only a pistol. If only you could get your hands around a plasma rifle or even a shotgun you could take a few down on your way out. Whatever killed your buddies deserves a couple of pellets in the forehead. Securing your helmet, you exit the landing pod. Hopefully you can find more substantial firepower somewhere within the station.

As you walk through the main entrance of the base, you hear animal-like growls echoing throughout the distant corridors. They know you're here. There's no turning back now.

the doom story line is similar to this, but not quite hell as it should be
Shraka
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Doom Sun, 30 October 2005 15:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Doom HAS a story. It's just not very complex. It's the interpritation of that basis for a story that I was looking foward to. Instead they totaly changed it and the only things it shared in common with Doom where cosmetic.
The name "BFG" = cosmetic detial
The Aliens looking like Doom 3 Demons = Cosmetic and nothing to do with Doom 1 or 2.
The name Doom at the start = cosmetic.

As you can see from the posts above, Doom 1 didn't even take place on Mars. At no point in the game did you set foot on the red planet.

A Half Life movie would be kinda boring, 'cuz the whole story has already been told. You played it first hand in HL1 and HL2. I guess there are some things that could be expanded on. And knowing movie makers, they would totaly destroy the story in Half Life.

And what rthy was saying was if they do to Half Life the Movie what they did to Doom, Half life may end up as a love story between Gordon Feildman (intentionaly wrong) and a geneticaly modified human that looks like one of the monsters from Half Life.
mynameisrodney
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Doom Mon, 31 October 2005 00:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
SupraPete wrote on Sun, 30 October 2005 23:24

Why didn't the sister take the "medicine"? She'd have the same genetic makup of the brother (being twins).

only identical twins have the same genetic make up. non-identical twins are the same as any two siblings gene-wise. they would be close but not the same.

chris
SupraPete
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: Doom Mon, 31 October 2005 00:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wonderful information.

So why didn't she take it?
Shraka
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Doom Mon, 31 October 2005 01:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
SupraPete wrote on Mon, 31 October 2005 11:53

Wonderful information.

So why didn't she take it?

'cuz she's a helpless girl and can't do anything for herself, that's why. Stupid movie. It was SO bad! I could write a better movie in my sleep.
jackel
Forums Junkie

August 2003

Re: Doom Mon, 31 October 2005 20:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
resident evil 1 & 2 are just like the games and resident evil apocolypes was soooooooooooooo cool. Still havn't seen doom though Razz
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: Doom Tue, 01 November 2005 14:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Squid wrote on Sun, 30 October 2005 18:45

bathurst-91 wrote on Sat, 29 October 2005 08:03

But needless to say im an FPS fan from the beginning.

Dude, doom wasn 't the beggining, wolfenstien was awesome and was the predecessor to doom! I think there may have even been one earlier than wolfenstien!

Catacombs Abyss Wink Absolute shite though because it was over-complicated. Wolfenstein 3D was so much more successful because it simplified everything into 'point and shoot'. Rather than all these wierd spells, mana, throwing potions and bollocks hehehe

Seriously - everyone here is having a dig at iD, but really i think after ten years they were pretty desparate to get the movie made. Having been close to the games industry for a while, and knowing a few game luminaries you would have to understand that as much as the crew would want things to happen a certain way, it often doesn't. Admittedly Todd Hollenshead (iD software CEO) is a bit of a tool, he had pissed off plenty of big-wigs in Hollywood and was left with few places to go - with the Doom 3 game coming out it made marketing sense to have the Doom movie follow closely in it's wake. In the end he had to compromise simply because it wasn't felt by the hollywood fellas that the hell spawn story would translate well onto the big screen - and as such iD (read : Todd Hollenshead, CEO of iD software) had to make some concessions and get the shitty script approved.

Note : Todd H is an accountant, and was never involved with iD software during the Doom era. He came on board about the same time that Quake came out.

You could always go and read 'Masters of Doom' if you wanted a bit more insight in to the shaping of iD software, and why they don't kick as much ass as they used to.

It's sad, but at least the Doom movie wasn't directed by Uwe Boll.
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: Doom Tue, 01 November 2005 14:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jackel wrote on Tue, 01 November 2005 07:20

resident evil 1 & 2 are just like the games and resident evil apocolypes was soooooooooooooo cool. Still havn't seen doom though Razz
I think i spent most of both of those movies drooling over Milla Jovovich.
Yian
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

August 2004
Re: Doom Tue, 01 November 2005 14:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RWDboy wrote on Wed, 02 November 2005 01:35

jackel wrote on Tue, 01 November 2005 07:20

I think i spent most of both of those movies drooling over Milla Jovovich.

Amen to that brother. She's gorgeous. Even my missus thinks so, which is a bonus!! Razz
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: Doom Tue, 01 November 2005 14:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If only you could organise a threesome Wink
EldarO
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: Doom Tue, 01 November 2005 14:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
has anyone played quake 4 yet?

is it just me or is it EXACTLY the SAME as doom?

you cant see shit, you have guns, aliens are running rampant, and they constantly seem to be finding new ways to scare the shit out of you.

Eldar.O.
Yian
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

August 2004
Re: Doom Tue, 01 November 2005 15:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RWDboy wrote on Wed, 02 November 2005 01:38

If only you could organise a threesome Wink

One could always wish eh? *day dreams*
xolent
Forums Junkie

October 2004
Re: Doom Tue, 01 November 2005 15:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
IDDQD

I still remember it haha
BadDude
Occasional Poster

November 2003
Re: Doom Tue, 01 November 2005 23:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
This makes me worried about the game movie that I am REALLY hanging out for--Halo. But Peter Jackson is doing that and he did pretty good keeping Lord of the Rings fans happy with the movie.
Shraka
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Doom Tue, 01 November 2005 23:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
xolent wrote on Wed, 02 November 2005 02:25

IDDQD

I still remember it haha

IDKFA - ID Keys Firearms Ammo
IDCLIP - ID no CLIPping
IDSPISPOPD - ID Smashing Pumpkins into Small Pieces of Putrid Debris (I actualy did have to search for the exact wording on this one)

Anyway, I might have a read of that 'Masters of Doom' thing.

How are demons from hell NOT gonna translate onto screen well? Man they have demon movies all the time! And a lot of them are awesome! How about the insanely popular Buffy and Angel? Dawn of the Dead? What about the oldschool Evil Dead series? Event Horizon anyone? All good or great movies/tv shows. All with hell strongy involved.
Genetic modification is just the latest fad and they're all "Wah wah, we have to do what everyone else is doing, otherwise how are we gonna fade into obscurity when we make a shit movie?"
I guess they figured the Doom name would get them their numbers. I suppose it worked... which makes me sad.

As for Quake 4 being just like doom, I don't like that. The Dark scary game just gets boring. They tend don't worry about exciting gameplay, they just try to scare the player. Boring. Half Life 2 is awesome. Smile They don't rely on badly lit environments and having things jump out from behind dark corners to provide their atmosphere. They have things like an old rambling preacher shooting up headcrabbed zombies. And strange monster things that climb up the walls of the building you're on and leap at you from accross the level (which you then shotgun in the head for a very satisfying kill).
Doom 1 was all about atmosphere. The grunts of the monsters behind walls, reminding you that any moment a wall could open and you'd have to fend off an army of imps. A horde of monsters shabling towards you for you to skip around and pick off at your leasure. Monsters fighting with eachother (which was a great tactic for taking care of those larger enemies). Sure they had flickering lights, and some dark areas to provide contrast and a bit of a cheap fright, but the whole game wasn't like that. Bleh, anyway. </rant>
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: Doom Wed, 02 November 2005 01:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shraka - I feel almost the complete opposite! Half Life 2 was the most over-hyped load of shit I've had to play in a loooooong time. The only other game that was more over-hyped (altough post-release) was the original Half Life. I got sick of Half Life 2 after about 6 or 7 hours, boring as bat shit. Doom 3 was good for me because it was relatively simple, i could pick it up and play it for a while and feel some sense of getting somewhere and then I could put it down and go back to whatever else i was doing.

Half Life 2 in contrast felt like all I was doing was wasting a whole bunch of time killing the Combine and moving about an inch forward in regards to any form of story or character progression. Fuck that!

In regards to the Doom movie, yeah they just jumped on the popular virus infected mutants bandwagon. It sucks, but the movie could've been way worse considering it was directed by the same guy that did Cradle 2 the Grave (DMX + Jet Li flick).

Oh and don't forget IDBEHOLD Wink Loved grabbing 'Bezerk' and punching Imps into little giblets.... hehehe.
Shraka
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Doom Wed, 02 November 2005 02:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BadDude wrote on Wed, 02 November 2005 10:20

This makes me worried about the game movie that I am REALLY hanging out for--Halo. But Peter Jackson is doing that and he did pretty good keeping Lord of the Rings fans happy with the movie.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!! !!!!!!!

Halo the movie? Sad Why?! WHY?!
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: Doom Wed, 02 November 2005 02:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
^^^ yeah it'll never live up to the game *sigh* but then people said a similar thing about the lord of the rings movies - so there is hope?
mynameisrodney
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Doom Wed, 02 November 2005 02:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
and they were right. i wanted to shoot myself in the return of the king just so it would kukin end Mad
rthy
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: Doom Wed, 02 November 2005 05:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i played classic doom on xbox... for some reason it was better than the new doom Confused
Shraka
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Doom Wed, 02 November 2005 06:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RWDboy wrote on Wed, 02 November 2005 13:26

^^^ yeah it'll never live up to the game *sigh* but then people said a similar thing about the lord of the rings movies - so there is hope?

No no, you got me all wrong. I hate Halo. It'd not a bad game and all, but it's not as good as everyone sais. It's not as good as half life or half life 2, or doom 2 even. Also, I hate Xbox. Also, Halo was developed as the first Mac only game! Smile But then it got dropped and microsoft picked it up. How funny is that?
The Halo movie will probably just end half way through. You'll have to wait to buy the extended release on DVD to watch the ending. Razz

rthy wrote on Wed, 02 November 2005 16:52

i played classic doom on xbox... for some reason it was better than the new doom Confused

That's 'cuz classic Doom owns, and Doom 3 is made by losers who deserve to have their pocket money stolen... and they have no girlfriends.

[Updated on: Wed, 02 November 2005 06:36]

Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Doom Wed, 02 November 2005 09:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
*takes down "Ulitmate Doom" poster off wall*

Sad Sad Sad Confused Confused Confused Mad Mad Sad Sad Crying or Very Sad Crying or Very Sad
Major Clod
Regular

August 2003
Re: Doom Wed, 02 November 2005 14:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The Halo movie has potential... There seems to be a bit of mythology to the universe, it could be interesting.

Halo as a game though is nothing special. The only reason it is so popular, is that it was the first FPS on a console that was easy to play and had a bit of the story. As far as gameplay goes it was very repetitive and basic. Any game that makes you trudge all the way back through the same repetitive levels (Halo 1) or only lasts 10 hours and ends abruptly (Halo 2) isn't all that great in my books. Multiplayer is another huge part of why Halo was so popular on console, the multiplayer is quite fun.

HL2 was great fun, crap ending, the game just stopped. I kind of felt a little cheated by Valve in that they really didn't tell you anything. However, if you look around and read some newspaper headlines and talk to NPC's, you'll get quite a bit of backstory out of them.

Doom 3 was extremely boring unti you took the portal to hell, where it got a bit more interesting. The ending sucked too, Cyberdemon wasn't anything exciting, I wanted something way more intense.

Just started Quake 4, only played it for an hour or so, but its seeming pretty fun. I really love seeing all the old Quake 2 designs in there, just a lot more detailed. Doing missions with squad mates is quite fun, and some of the battles have been pretty intense. Hopefully it stays good!

RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: Doom Wed, 02 November 2005 14:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shraka wrote on Wed, 02 November 2005 17:04

RWDboy wrote on Wed, 02 November 2005 13:26

No no, you got me all wrong. I hate Halo. It'd not a bad game and all, but it's not as good as everyone sais. It's not as good as half life or half life 2, or doom 2 even. Also, I hate Xbox. Also, Halo was developed as the first Mac only game! Smile But then it got dropped and microsoft picked it up. How funny is that?
The Halo movie will probably just end half way through. You'll have to wait to buy the extended release on DVD to watch the ending. Razz
Yeah but Halo would make a way better movie than Half Life or Half Life 2 ever would Razz

That's 'cuz classic Doom owns, and Doom 3 is made by losers who deserve to have their pocket money stolen... and they have no girlfriends.
*sigh* I hate to say it but you must be totally ignorant of the games industry! Except for the no girlfriends part... hehehe
Merudo
Forums Junkie

February 2005

Re: Doom Wed, 02 November 2005 15:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shraka wrote on Fri, 28 October 2005 15:34

Me too actualy. Smile

But the lack of mouse controll always gets me these days.
I wish Doom 3 was a bit better.

get Jdoom...

its the same thing, obviously, but rendered in openGL(could be D3D, actually now i think about it) and runs much better and looks much better, also includes proper mouselook.

its tops stuff!

edit: just checked... you can choose OpenGL or D3D 8.0

Also has EAX.

heh...

the one I've got lets you have 3d replacement models for the monsters too. I'll post up some screenies and edit this post.

EldarO wrote

as anyone played quake 4 yet?

is it just me or is it EXACTLY the SAME as doom?

you cant see shit, you have guns, aliens are running rampant, and they constantly seem to be finding new ways to scare the shit out of you.

Eldar.O.

Quake 4.. yeah... it is more like doom 4.

Multiplayer feels like unreal tournament, and i don't like it much at all. Not true to any of the previous quake games, really.

F.E.A.R. > Quake 4

simple as that

[Updated on: Wed, 02 November 2005 15:42]

Merudo
Forums Junkie

February 2005

Re: Doom Wed, 02 November 2005 15:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
heres two screenies...

btw, if you own the game, its not a problem

works with the shareware version of doom as well.. has a launcher, runs perfect on XP

but yeah, there's something about playing Doom and Doom 2 at 1024x768x32bit, with an antialiased full 3d rendered environment, that is just damn cool

just took these screenies then -

http://img131.imageshack.us/img131/4296/doom17wm.jpg

http://img108.imageshack.us/img108/7963/doom23yu.jpg

you can turn on the 3d model replacements and they look damn cool, but its just more fun to play with the old school sprites which, even at a higher resolution, are nice and smoothed out because they aren't software rendered... also has some nice particle effects and stuff too...

edit AGAIN (lol... i should go to bed)

also includes proper TCP/IP support and a game browser so you can easily organise LAN / Internet games of doom, doom2 or whatever and play those co-op games you used to do via serial back in the day Razz

[Updated on: Wed, 02 November 2005 15:53]

TRD_Supra
Forums Junkie

On Probation

December 2004
Re: Doom Wed, 02 November 2005 22:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I found the BFG to be pretty lame arse and shit! infact did they even shoot anythign iwht hte BFG ? or just a hole tha melted some shit and then he had 1 round left! i dunno pretty noob if u ak me!
StuC
Forums Junkie

December 2003
Re: Doom Thu, 03 November 2005 13:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jeez, brings back memories.

Wolfenstein 1-6 got it on 1 disc!
Duke3d - never got the add-ons or later cali beach etc
Quake 1,2 and lost 3. Will get 3 + 4
Doom - i have doom ultimate on my old 540mb HD somewhere need to get that out me thinks (that HD also has Mortal Kombat 1+2!)
Half life kicks arse but i lost it too.Havent played 2 but i hear good things

Halo is the bomb-the storyline is awesome and i love the new double shoot option in 2.

these games are all good and you can't rat out on the movies - they're still just for shits and giggles and seeing big guns blow shit up

You have to love it

end of non-relevant rant
Phrostbyte
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

April 2004
Re: Doom Fri, 04 November 2005 11:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah I used to love Wolfenstein on the old 386. Doom didn't work on the thing, needed more RAM, but yeah I used to go to my cousins place and play it on his 486 all the time.

I played Half-Life religiously for around 9 months, clocked it about 4 or 5 times I think... Then when I got the internet I got hooked on Counter-strike and hardly ever played single-player games from there on. I played Doom 3 for a week or two, but no shit, a surround sound system built up of high end quality speakers in your dark cold garage bedroom, scares the absolute BAJEEZERS out of you... I got to the stage where I couldn't even play it alone anymore (I know I'm a wuss). Also played Halo for a while, great game that actually holds your attention (and I'm not one for games holding my attention for long). I think with Peter Jackson making the movie, it's going to be absolutely amazing...

Kev.

THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: Doom Mon, 07 November 2005 00:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
movie was lame... but amusingly lame.

demons coming from hell would;ve been soooo mcuh cooler!
Shraka
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Doom Mon, 07 November 2005 02:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
THE WITZL wrote on Mon, 07 November 2005 11:33

movie was lame... but amusingly lame.

demons coming from hell would;ve been soooo mcuh cooler!

If the Demons had just been from hell, that woulda made the movie so much better! Add a Baron of Hell, Cyberdemon, or perhaps a cacodemon (I'd like to see that translated for the big screen, lol) and I woulda really enjoyed it.

As if the story was important AT ALL to people who hadn't played Doom. Demons from hell or genetic experiments? It wouldn't have made any difference to the non Doom playing audience, but all the difference to those who are oldschool doom players, and the newschool doom 3 players.

How AWESOME (and funny) would it have been if they'd re-done sound effects from Doom 1 and 2 for the movie? The old door opening sound, the BFG firing, some of the classic death sounds! Oh and ofcourse the music! Perhaps just on a radio or something at the start of the movie, or even better, while they did the first person view bit. Very Happy

So disapointed in ID Software. So disapointed.
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Doom Mon, 07 November 2005 02:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Phrostbyte wrote on Fri, 04 November 2005 22:15

Yeah I used to love Wolfenstein on the old 386. Doom didn't work on the thing, needed more RAM, but yeah I used to go to my cousins place and play it on his 486 all the time.

Then when I got the internet I got hooked on Counter-strike and hardly ever played single-player games from there on. I played Doom 3 for a week or two, but no shit, a surround sound system built up of high end quality speakers in your dark cold garage bedroom, scares the absolute BAJEEZERS out of you... I got to the stage where I couldn't even play it alone anymore (I know I'm a wuss).

Kev.

Lol i just got counterstrike about three weeks ago bad thing to do before exams. Getting better but these days the hacks are insane.

As for Doom 3 a mate was playing it with the surround setup for a few hours and drinking all the time. Alas like you he had to stop playing as it was just freaking him out.
Shraka
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Doom Mon, 07 November 2005 02:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oh yeah, this took me a while to get to, but...
RWDboy wrote on Thu, 03 November 2005 01:24

*sigh* I hate to say it but you must be totally ignorant of the games industry! Except for the no girlfriends part... hehehe

What ARE you on about?
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: Doom Mon, 07 November 2005 04:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
'Doom 3 is made by losers rah rah rah'

Razz

Totally wrong, wrong, wrong!
EldarO
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: Doom Mon, 07 November 2005 06:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quake 4 is somewhat more action packed than doom 3.

rather than walking around for 10 minutes, then somehting jumping out of the wall, kill it, then repeat...

its a constant barrage of things attacking you, its quite a bit better, same style though..

reminds me of the crypt levels of return to castle wolfenstein... the reason i didnt finish the game was that i was shit scared Laughing .

Eldar.O.
Shraka
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Doom Mon, 07 November 2005 06:49 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
RWDboy wrote on Mon, 07 November 2005 15:03

'Doom 3 is made by losers rah rah rah'

Razz

Totally wrong, wrong, wrong!

Well obviously atleast the heads of ID are losers, as they authorised this horrid script to be made into a movie!

And from all reports about this game, it is made by losers. What else would you call a bunch of idiots that release a game nobody likes?
Pages (2): [1  2  >  »]   Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:lets play... "Whats that windscreen?"
Next Topic:Corona Mk2 - Serial killer's car of choice
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Tue Mar 19 10:01:10 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.010358095169067 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.