Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » AW11 Vs. AE86 ?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: AW11 Vs. AE86 ? Sun, 30 October 2005 23:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bootheman wrote on Sun, 30 October 2005 23:02

i have had both,

nothing beats the reliabilty of the 4agze aw11, i gave it to it everyday and nothin went rong.

on the other hand with the turbo ae86 i gave it was AWSOME FUN but when she fucked up she fucked up good! but all in all.

i want another ae86 turbo and im currently looking for a new weekend toy. Laughing

bloody hell 1.5 year old thread~!
  Send a private message to this user    
dingalinga
Newcomer

July 2002
    na
Re: AW11 Vs. AE86 ? Tue, 01 November 2005 09:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
So what is the weight difference between the 2?
Starfire
Regular

December 2004
Re: AW11 Vs. AE86 ? Tue, 01 November 2005 22:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
A supercharged AW11 weighs 1100kg or so.

I can never get a straight answer out of a sprinter driver as to what they weigh, but its 900-1000kg.

The AW11 is a fantastic car but rather impractical and not good for drift.

In a perfect world I would have both Very Happy
takai
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: AW11 Vs. AE86 ? Tue, 01 November 2005 23:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Around 925kg stock from factory. 905kg wet, with cage, and toolkit.
Mr Revhead
Regular

October 2004
Re: AW11 Vs. AE86 ? Wed, 02 November 2005 00:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
aw11>ae86
and iv owned both.

nothing wrong with aw11 in the wet.....

for an outright drivers car the aw kills the ae. hands down.

a well setup aw11 is such an awesome handling car....
i cant wait till mines sorted properly.
i have stuffed rear shocks, unknowen rear springs that cause the front to sit an inch higher, ad i can still piss all over st185s and sw20 GTs. love it Cool
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: AW11 Vs. AE86 ? Wed, 02 November 2005 00:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mr Revhead wrote on Wed, 02 November 2005 11:39

aw11>ae86
and iv owned both.

nothing wrong with aw11 in the wet.....

for an outright drivers car the aw kills the ae. hands down.

a well setup aw11 is such an awesome handling car....
i cant wait till mines sorted properly.
i have stuffed rear shocks, unknowen rear springs that cause the front to sit an inch higher, ad i can still piss all over st185s and sw20 GTs. love it Cool

indeed aw11 is a drivers car and the problem in the wet is a old wifes tale i think ive never had any issues
nick.parker
Regular

January 2005
Re: AW11 Vs. AE86 ? Wed, 02 November 2005 01:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Hi,

I have owned 3 AW11's (one NA and two SC), and if you think they don't have a problem in the wet then in IMHO your either a very good driver, or you drive like a granny, or you have addressed some handling problems, weight distribution is a tricky problem though....

Brake suddenly and the front wheels lock up prematurely.

Get sideways holding throttle through a roundabout (without LSD) and expect snap oversteer to send you back the other way real quick once the rear get their grip back.

My current 18psi AW11 with cams lets rip in a straight line over 2.5K in the wet and its scary how fast the car sidesteps.

I admit with an LSD its a LOT LOT better in the wet. I have just added a viscous unit three weeks ago actually.

You can basically drive sega rally style with the LSD at low speeds in the wet, I'm not keen to go faster unless on a track.
I just drive like a granny in the wet most of the time. Better for me and the car in the long run!!!

I know LOTS of people who have spun MR2's in the wet, I have too ONCE! THe problem is if you're not expecting it (slippery surface) chances are you wont catch it.

Cheers, Nick

shinybluesteel
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002
Re: AW11 Vs. AE86 ? Wed, 02 November 2005 01:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I saw a guy drifting one at calder, was doing very well, better than a lot of the guys from team silvia
bootheman
Regular

March 2003

Re: AW11 Vs. AE86 ? Wed, 02 November 2005 02:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
aw11 is just danger in the wet, i rember a couple of times id launch it off and about 2 go sideways around the corner like my 86' and flick go's the ass and game over buy the time i can grab it back i have done a 360'
mighty_boy
Regular

September 2004
Re: AW11 Vs. AE86 ? Wed, 02 November 2005 12:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
its come down to if u want:
a) a track car, then buy a mr2
B) a drift car, then buy a ae86

overall both are pretty fun and have their pros and cons, my mr2 has been a fantastic car, but im guessing the ae86 would be just as fun, try both and then decide whether ud rather practicality or midmount handling....

after owning the mr2 id have to get another midmount if i was after another track-like car, nothing compares in that respect!!
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: AW11 Vs. AE86 ? Wed, 02 November 2005 12:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nick.parker wrote on Wed, 02 November 2005 12:25

Hi,

I have owned 3 AW11's (one NA and two SC), and if you think they don't have a problem in the wet then in IMHO your either a very good driver, or you drive like a granny, or you have addressed some handling problems, weight distribution is a tricky problem though....

its usually a right foot problem use a little less of it when it rains problem solved Wink
nick.parker
Regular

January 2005
Re: AW11 Vs. AE86 ? Thu, 03 November 2005 02:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

I agree. The time I spun I was trying to show off.

I wanted to impress that they deserve more respect in the wet
than your average front wheel driver, or for that matter front engine rear drive also.

Cheers, Nick.

[Updated on: Thu, 03 November 2005 02:31]

4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: AW11 Vs. AE86 ? Thu, 03 November 2005 02:39 Go to previous message
a little more taily than your average excel yes but horrid oversteering unpredictable pig it is not
Pages (2): [ «  <  1  2]   Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Brakes- RA23 vs RA28?
Next Topic:wastegate spring pressure on 4agte
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 05:27:57 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0073809623718262 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.