Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » BOV mystery!!!

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
TRD_Supra
Forums Junkie

On Probation

December 2004
BOV mystery!!! Mon, 31 October 2005 05:00 Go to next message
for strange reason all of a sudden neither of my BOVs work. I have a SSq as my main BOV but have left hte stock one in place. Anyway i was driving around the other night and for some strange reason the BOV just stopped making that big SSQ nice noise... so i checked all hte cooler pipes, they are fine, vacumn line is fine and vacumn is still running through it. i took the vacumn line off hte SSQ and put it on the stocko and still no noise... the stocko makes a distinct noise, but not even that.

I replaced a hose cause it looked a bit ratty, so thats all done, but even still now i can't work it out, i showed my mate who is a mechanic and he is stumped aswell!! anyone got any ideas.. The car idles fine and vacumn pressure is at -65kpa or less

anyone got any ideas!
  Send a private message to this user    
ke382TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: BOV mystery!!! Mon, 31 October 2005 05:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BOVs are not very mysterious items, they are incredibly simply.

Given that you say BOTH both of your BOVs have stopped working it is either:

None or not enough vaccuum (but you say that you have checked this already).

or

No boost or not enough boost pressure to open the BOVs.

My guesstimate would be that a pipe or something between the turbo and throttle is leaking on boost, hence no/not enough excess boost for the BOV's to vent went the throttle closes.

PS. Where do people with nice cars drive in Hobart? I was there on the weekend and only saw two (nice Toyotas) JZA80s all weekend.

I did see a lot of shitter multi coloured Geminis and such Wink
TRD_Supra
Forums Junkie

On Probation

December 2004
Re: BOV mystery!!! Mon, 31 October 2005 05:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hmm i have checked all the cooler pipes and even replaced a ose like i stated, so it would have ot be some tiny litle gap that is in a shitty spot!
Wat colour where the a80's ? i might know them! the good cars are around just not super common, and yea there are alot of multi coloured gemini's!
ke382TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: BOV mystery!!! Mon, 31 October 2005 05:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

hmm i have checked all the cooler pipes and even replaced a ose like i stated, so it would have ot be some tiny litle gap that is in a shitty spot!

It probably will be Wink

A white and a maroon one. I also kept on seeing an orange RX7 Series 4 or 5 and lots of R32 Skylines.
TRD_Supra
Forums Junkie

On Probation

December 2004
Re: BOV mystery!!! Mon, 31 October 2005 05:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
They are a few white JZA80 and only 1 of them is a TT, dunno about a maroon one that orange RX7 is a S4 and its a guzzler aparently it gets around 250ks to $55 or something like that and yeah heaps of R32's! all GTST tho!
kingmick
Forums Junkie

Banned by his request

July 2002
Re: BOV mystery!!! Mon, 31 October 2005 09:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if there is boost getting to the BV then it can only be that the signal line is leaking or the piston and or sping are getting stuck.take it of and pull it apart and look for wear or dirt.
the pistons in your engine wear,so does the piston in a BV.
mick
p.s the springs wear so it can stay open a bit aswell!

[Updated on: Mon, 31 October 2005 09:03]

TRD_Supra
Forums Junkie

On Probation

December 2004
Re: BOV mystery!!! Mon, 31 October 2005 09:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
so if the vacumn line is trying to suck my finger down it!, which might i add without a bov connected sits on about -35KPA with my finger over it sits at -58KPA with the bov on -65kpa so it seesm as if the pressure is fine wiht he bov on. So the mechanisim inside the BOV could be screwed... wat about hte fact that hte stock BOV isn't working...??
kingmick
Forums Junkie

Banned by his request

July 2002
Re: BOV mystery!!! Mon, 31 October 2005 09:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
um your factory one works in the same way so it can have the same problems.
mick
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: BOV mystery!!! Mon, 31 October 2005 09:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kingmick wrote on Mon, 31 October 2005 20:23

um your factory one works in the same way so it can have the same problems.
mick

esp if it hasn't been connected for a while....

are you sure you haven't dropped a turbo off somewhere?
TRD_Supra
Forums Junkie

On Probation

December 2004
Re: BOV mystery!!! Mon, 31 October 2005 09:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah probably right oldrolla's so do u guys think the verdict is the fact that the bov might have seized ? cause i have seriously looked at every pipe and chiecked for problems anbd nothing! so i can only put it down to the bov, it does flutter a tiny bit!
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: BOV mystery!!! Mon, 31 October 2005 10:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BOV's don't flutter. they open.

pull it out, pat a vac source onto it.. see if the fucker opens...

use some initiative..... Razz

(just the littlest burnout Wink )
TRD_Supra
Forums Junkie

On Probation

December 2004
Re: BOV mystery!!! Mon, 31 October 2005 10:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
na i know it doesn't fluuter, but it seems to be opening a tiny bit and enhances the fltuer noise
Yian
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

August 2004
Re: BOV mystery!!! Mon, 31 October 2005 13:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If it opens, then you don't get the flutter noise.

I think its time to sell your car. Its giving you too many problems dude.
Mookie
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: BOV mystery!!! Mon, 31 October 2005 14:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I told you that 100 shot of nos would blow the welds on the intake !!
but no don't listen to me.

I"m pretty sure there was some noise coming from under the bonnet just not as much as there should be.

i asked a mate he said your ssq might have a warranty ?

Will boosting cause or put the car at risk of being damaged ?
(other than nicks driving)
TruenoGTAPEX
Regular

July 2002

Re: BOV mystery!!! Mon, 31 October 2005 16:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
First thing, ive had the same thing with pretty much all my bovs - stock, turbosmart type 2 and 3, greddy and the hks one. I just pulled the bov apart, greased/oiled/rp7/wd40 whatever lubrication you feel like, and i never had the problem again, until next time the lube wore off.

that issue aside, i see another prob from what you have described.... ? unless i have misread - which is always possible Wink

your running both bovs? but only one of them with the vac/boost line?

umm.. without a boost line connected to your stock bov it will open up when the boost pressure on the charge pipe exceeds the spring pressure. Bovs are supposed to have boost on the diaphragm side as well to overcome the boost pressure on the charge pipe side - thus bovs recieve a boost/vac line not just the vac only line. this is especially important on stock bovs as their spring pressures are generally pretty low.

To overcome this, either remove the stock bov and blank it off, - or if you insist on leaving it on there, feed it a boost only line from the charge pipe, somewhere near the turbo. Better off removing it completely though.

TRD_Supra
Forums Junkie

On Probation

December 2004
Re: BOV mystery!!! Mon, 31 October 2005 23:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah good point mate i never thought of that, i was gunna grease it up today, cause i have really checked out all the pipes and vacumn is fine so yeah i think hte bov might have just gotten dirty, anyway keep u posted! thanks forh te help guys!
mic*
Regular

July 2005
Re: BOV mystery!!! Tue, 01 November 2005 03:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If what truenoGTAPEX has said is right and you dont have a vac/boost line to your standard BOV the it will never have been working properly and is more than likely the source of your problem.

You need to really think about this i reckon... can you be sure that before the ssq failed that the factory unit was venting? Does the car feel the same now - power wise etc?

I would;

1. Pull off the factory BOV, blank the hole and see if the ssq works. (eliminates whether standard BOV has just got stuck badly enough to vent all closed throttle back pressure)

Failing that.

2. One would have to assume that both units were working, and i would say the probability of two very different BOV's both getting fouled enough to be stuck open (or closed) at exactly the same time is about as high as getting hit by a car while scuba diving. I would be doing what oldcorollas suggested and check that you havent got a turbine wheel in your cat.

TRD_Supra
Forums Junkie

On Probation

December 2004
Re: BOV mystery!!! Tue, 01 November 2005 06:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The car boosts up fine and everything so i will try pulling off the stock BOV!
TRD_Supra
Forums Junkie

On Probation

December 2004
Re: BOV mystery!!! Tue, 01 November 2005 23:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well i took the stocko BOV off and still no BOV noise ??!???!?! Mad
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: BOV mystery!!! Wed, 02 November 2005 00:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yian wrote on Mon, 31 October 2005 21:51

Seconded.

Have you tried the obvious logical solution as suggested and clean and lube the damn thing up? What is not having the factory one going to do to solve your problem? Nothing. If it's not plumbed to a vacuum line, it's closed, if it's closed, it's not going to do anything.
TRD_Supra
Forums Junkie

On Probation

December 2004
Re: BOV mystery!!! Wed, 02 November 2005 00:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I spoke to the place i bought it off and they just told me they got a batch of dud's so they sent me a replacement.. hopefully thats the problem i asked htem about any maintenance even looked up information on SSQ bovs and they say that u don't need to lube it up or do any sort of maintanence to it!

[Updated on: Wed, 02 November 2005 00:18]

mic*
Regular

July 2005
Re: BOV mystery!!! Wed, 02 November 2005 00:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
justcallmefrank wrote on Wed, 02 November 2005 11:04

Yian wrote on Mon, 31 October 2005 21:51

Seconded.

Have you tried the obvious logical solution as suggested and clean and lube the damn thing up? What is not having the factory one going to do to solve your problem? Nothing. If it's not plumbed to a vacuum line, it's closed, if it's closed, it's not going to do anything.

Maybe im a dumbshit, but my understanding is the "vac" line is only vac under no boost/load/closed throttle. When turbo is spooling, it is a boost line from past the throttle body which equalises pressure on both sides of the diaphragm of the BOV to stop the BOV from venting continuously. When the throttle closes, boosted air beyond the closed throttle gets sucked through engine, pressure to BOV from "vac" line actually becomes vacuum, pressure in front of TB increases as turbo boosts against a closed pipe. BOV goes whoosh.

If there is no "vac" line to the unit, how is it closed when there is boost coz there will obviously be a pressure difference?

Can someone explain otherwise to me please.
TRD_Supra
Forums Junkie

On Probation

December 2004
Re: BOV mystery!!! Wed, 02 November 2005 00:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
that sounds right to me, i have the vac lined connected to te BOV tho!
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: BOV mystery!!! Wed, 02 November 2005 00:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mic* wrote on Wed, 02 November 2005 08:45

If there is no "vac" line to the unit, how is it closed when there is boost coz there will obviously be a pressure difference?

You are right, my comment was made on the basis that a) it's still making boost so if it's open, it can't be leaking a huge amount and b) if i'm reading the first post correctly, it was working before.

Sure, it's silly to have a non-functioning BOV there, and he has now removed it, but it's not going to be the solution to this problem for reasons stated above.
TRD_Supra
Forums Junkie

On Probation

December 2004
Re: BOV mystery!!! Wed, 02 November 2005 00:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yes thats correct, Boost still comes on fine, spools to 5 psi fine, BOV worked before.
I can't find any leaks from anywhere (not saying there isn't any) Stock BOV is gone!
mic*
Regular

July 2005
Re: BOV mystery!!! Wed, 02 November 2005 00:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I got the idea from your first post and from TruenoGTAPEX that you only had one vac line that was (before all this) hooked up to your ssq and that you had basically poached it from the stocko, and left it without one. When ssq failed you tried switching em back?

Is this a bit off the mark?
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: BOV mystery!!! Wed, 02 November 2005 00:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mic* wrote on Wed, 02 November 2005 08:55

I got the idea from your first post and from TruenoGTAPEX that you only had one vac line that was (before all this) hooked up to your ssq and that you had basically poached it from the stocko, and left it without one. When ssq failed you tried switching em back?

Is this a bit off the mark?

This is how I read it.
TRD_Supra
Forums Junkie

On Probation

December 2004
Re: BOV mystery!!! Wed, 02 November 2005 00:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
LOL that is how it was
mic*
Regular

July 2005
Re: BOV mystery!!! Wed, 02 November 2005 01:10 Go to previous message
Laughing Laughing

a "T" and a bit of hose...

...anyway, i made that earlier suggestion based on that interpretation.

I thought that with stocko getting "boosted" open all the time, it mite have got good and proper stuck open, and then at closed throttle it bled enough air to eliminate the "hammer" effect that is needed to open the ssq.

It would explain it only opening a lil, and the rest is lost through the open stocko, and spool speed loss.

If you got a dodgy BOV that explains a lot too, but when you get your new one...

a "T" and a bit of hose...

Laughing Laughing
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:wiring a supra trans into a soarer...
Next Topic:subaru spings for 1st gen celica?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 17:46:13 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.007720947265625 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.