Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
n0ve
Occasional Poster

July 2005
weird problem with car stereo Thu, 03 November 2005 10:48 Go to next message
im having a few issues with my new stereo. it seems to cut out and then come back on again whenever i am just cruising through town with the volume pretty loud. but when i am out on the highway i can have it really cranking and no issues.
i was having a chat to my old man and he seems to think it might be the alternator. the car is an 85 corolla. im not sure how to check if the alternator is working ok, can anyone help me out?
also any other theories on what could be causing the problem?
cheers
  Send a private message to this user    
dingaling
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: weird problem with car stereo Thu, 03 November 2005 11:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Amp has a safety cut out feature when the drain on your battery/alt is too much?

whats it like when you turn your lights and heater on, then turn the sound up, does it cut out?

Probably need a beefier battery in that case.
love ke70
Regular

September 2005
Re: weird problem with car stereo Thu, 03 November 2005 11:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
so ur runnin amps are ya??
where are they? did u put them on the back of ur sub box?
mine did a similar thing when just cruisin round coz my sub box was sliding/rolling around, and im not sure if it was a safety thing or just them goin wacko but would totally cut out, then just randomly come back
now that its fixed in place no issues
its worth a shot
~andrew~
n0ve
Occasional Poster

July 2005
Re: weird problem with car stereo Thu, 03 November 2005 13:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dingaling wrote on Thu, 03 November 2005 22:52

Amp has a safety cut out feature when the drain on your battery/alt is too much?

whats it like when you turn your lights and heater on, then turn the sound up, does it cut out?

Probably need a beefier battery in that case.

yeh it cuts out at a much lower volume with the lights and the wipers going.

i have noticed that in the car it has a smaller battery than normal. i will try swapping it over with a normal size battery and see how i go.
but also is there anyway i can rule out a problem with the alternator?
terra
Regular

July 2005
Re: weird problem with car stereo Thu, 03 November 2005 16:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you need a higher output alternator. battery is not going to help.

it doesnt cut onthe highway becaue your rpms are up and the alternator is making a bigger charge. city will have rpms low.

too low amps = amp safetey cut out.
NeoNasty
Regular

August 2002
Re: weird problem with car stereo Thu, 03 November 2005 22:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Check your earths for a good connection. IE. metal to metal, no paint inbetween. Be sure to have large enough power cable (to your amps) to feed them then current they require.

Still having problems? Are your lights dimming with the bass notes? Upgrade your alternator or set your idle at about 3000rpm haha

-Shaun
mic*
Regular

July 2005
Re: weird problem with car stereo Fri, 04 November 2005 01:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Firstly, do you have amps or is it head unit?

If we are talkin bout amps cutting out, which it seems to be from the discussion, as you have been asked already where are they mounted?

And most importantly, what amp (size etc) and what other "non-standard" loads do you have on the electrical system? What gauge wiring is being used? Is the alternator factory?
Sigmeister
Regular

June 2004
Re: weird problem with car stereo Fri, 04 November 2005 02:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I would suggest most of what has been said. It seems definatly an electrical problem.

Main things to check are earths, as stated make sure they are secure and make good contact with metal and wire to amps should be a minimum of 8 guage, and smaller and replace (I hope you not using speaker wire!)

A high output alternator is not required. A bigger and better battery will solve any electrical problems.

Although I am not a fan of them, a 1/2 or 1 farad capacitor would also help your elctrical system out as well.
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: weird problem with car stereo Fri, 04 November 2005 02:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sounds like you connected your power up with pieces of fishing line Razz Do the job properly and watch your issues disappear...
n0ve
Occasional Poster

July 2005
Re: weird problem with car stereo Fri, 04 November 2005 03:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ill im running is a new alpine head unit, with 4in up the front and 6x9 in the back.
i had the headunit and speakers installed at the car audio place in town.
the only problem is when im just cruising or stopped at lights, i have the volume up really loud that the headunit cuts out and restarts. it doesnt happen when im out on the highway.
ill check the earth out.
bahnugget
Regular

August 2005
Re: weird problem with car stereo Fri, 04 November 2005 04:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if it only happens at high volume levels.. it could be that ur speakers are overpowering ur headunit, and its heating up and then turning off

my amp does it too, it gets too hot and turns itself off till it's cool enough.
NeoNasty
Regular

August 2002
Re: weird problem with car stereo Fri, 04 November 2005 05:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ah. No amp?

Factory head unit wiring can be very thin. Does its job well enough. Untill you put more load on it.

If you have it up that loud. It may be clipping and heating up/turning itself off to prevent damage.

Usually a headunit will only use a max or around 10A. Your alternator can handle that easily. again. Earth. Thick enough wiring.

Dont clip your amp. IE. Dont power it to 100%. max around 75% (this figure varies a lot, but its a good starting point). Still not loud enough? Get an amp. 4 x 50WRMS will be plenty for the 6x9s your running.

If your headunit is faulty, and its not 'user error' take it back to where you got it installed.

BAM
mic*
Regular

July 2005
Re: weird problem with car stereo Fri, 04 November 2005 05:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Id say upgrade your battery, its not holding enough charge to support your head unit & electrical system. When the alternator isnt doing suffienct revs to being making any amps, the battery has to do the work.

Test my theory by crankin the stereo with the engine at idle in your garage & see if the same thing happens.

Then do it again holding the revs constant at about 3000. The alternator should now be doing the work and it will stay on.

oh... make sure the garage door is open Very Happy
mic*
Regular

July 2005
Re: weird problem with car stereo Fri, 04 November 2005 05:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Put the lights on & the fan on full bore while doing it too.
n0ve
Occasional Poster

July 2005
Re: weird problem with car stereo Fri, 04 November 2005 10:48 Go to previous message
lol cheers mic
ill try it out tomorrow morn.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Aftermarket BOV on GZE
Next Topic:How to remove 1G speed cut?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 23:57:44 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00559401512146 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.