Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » vr commodore/lexon. boosted engine?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
people100
Forums Junkie

February 2003

vr commodore/lexon. boosted engine? Thu, 03 November 2005 12:12 Go to next message
just wondering if anyone knows how much boost the 3.8litre lexon/commy engines will handle safely. 5-6psi? and if the computer will handle that much?
  Send a private message to this user    
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: vr commodore/lexon. boosted engine? Thu, 03 November 2005 12:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i hate to be a killjoy, but the lexcen motor is the normal commonwhore motor.
maybe ask on some of the commodore/holden forums?
you could also look the the US forums abotu the different versions (includign the bodgy supercharged one) and see what different parts they had in them?
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: vr commodore/lexon. boosted engine? Thu, 03 November 2005 12:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Guess I'll attempt to give you an answer before the bulk flaming starts Razz

Like any engine, you can give them a SMALL amount of boost, and the ECU for all versions is quite flexible for remapping (therefore, there's no excuse NOT to remap it properly!)

Check out the US forums and look for the old-school factory turbo verson, and check out some of the claims the yanks make about the potential of these engines...

Of course, I use the word 'engine' with the broadest possible definition...

I'll say no more Very Happy
terra
Regular

July 2005
Re: vr commodore/lexon. boosted engine? Thu, 03 November 2005 16:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i belive the SC14 goes on every bloody supercharged 3800 commowhore i see around here (im in adealide, 2 friends have superhcarged commodres, ones a vn the others a vt). a crap load of shops will have all the parts available (mounting hardware and pipes and belts) to do this.
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: vr commodore/lexon. boosted engine? Thu, 03 November 2005 21:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CRS do kits for them, but for the little extra dough a VS factory supercharged motor would be a lot better, they have much stronger internals than the standard engine. Not to mention the VR motor is the last of the older motors before they went to the ecotec head so as a base your already 15kw the NA VS motor.

[Updated on: Thu, 03 November 2005 21:48]

Grega
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002

Re: vr commodore/lexon. boosted engine? Thu, 03 November 2005 21:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
depending on the sort of life any vn/lexcen has had the 3.8 will handle 7psi with no issues - i've seen guys do this and make good numbers out of the things too (for a pushrod cast iron motor that is)

um, its like most things - push it and it will break. cam bearings walk in the EV6 onwards and can be a pain to fix (rebuild) but otherwise they're pretty strong.

plenty of different ppl are making turbo manifolds for them now - have a look on street commodores - they make mention of them.

CRS do make the supercharger kit which from memory is 1500 or so minus the charger and is lucky to push 2-3psi.
RA65 Sleeka
Regular

June 2003
Re: vr commodore/lexon. boosted engine? Thu, 03 November 2005 22:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i think up to the vn you can swap in the vl cross member and the bolt up the rb series motor. not 100% sure of this though. i know it doesn't help your question but it dose make for a different conversion.
mic*
Regular

July 2005
Re: vr commodore/lexon. boosted engine? Fri, 04 November 2005 03:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dont use a series 1 VN Buik (how do u spell that) version. Has major problem with cam bearing setup, not sure on technicalities but something fucks up, no oil to bearing, bottom end bang. Tis common.

Series two has a restrictor in the inlet to the valley plenum coz too many grandpas complained about torque in the series 1. This will be mildly detrimental flow in any boosted application.

Older heads are better to work than ecotec shite from what i hear but i have not got any experience to back this up.

Other than that id say, like pretty much anything, boost it to 6 or 7 then pay close attention on the dyno & the road for a while see whats the weakest link before going any further.

If its a lexcen, please de-badge it!
mic*
Regular

July 2005
Re: vr commodore/lexon. boosted engine? Fri, 04 November 2005 03:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

Series two has a restrictor in the inlet to the valley plenum coz too many grandpas complained about torque in the series 1. This will be mildly detrimental flow in any boosted application.

takes about 10 minutes to remove tho. Then this motor becomes on of the best base 3.8L for modding i am told.
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: vr commodore/lexon. boosted engine? Fri, 04 November 2005 03:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if it breaks its not like its going to be hard to find another one those motors grow on trees
people100
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: vr commodore/lexon. boosted engine? Fri, 04 November 2005 12:41 Go to previous message
ive already got a turbo manifold and turbo. plus all the other things like boost controllers etc. ive got access to intercoolers for free and can do my own exhaust so its all gonna be basically cost free. i also have access to a dyno for $60 a hour and they can remap the v6 ecus to handle a bit of boost. the engine is in reasonably good condition and i dont see any reason (in theory) it wont handle the boost. ive heard very bad things about the ecotec engines so ill be staying away from that. just dont want to do all this and blow the engine due to it just wont handle it.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:getting tapedeck out
Next Topic:NEED URGENT HELP WITH A CAMRY SE 1995
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 03:24:32 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0043709278106689 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.