Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
lowrlux
Occasional Poster

September 2004
Shortend shocks Thu, 03 November 2005 20:28 Go to next message
I just lowered the front end of my Hilux (wound down torsion bars) and have found that the brakes lock up very easily now.

I know this sounds like a stupid question, but will some shortened shocks help the problem? I figure since it's lowered the standard shocks are already compressed some what, hence the shit performance.

Any ideas?
  Send a private message to this user    
cannonball
Forums Junkie

July 2004
Re: Shortend shocks Thu, 03 November 2005 23:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Have you gone for a wheel alignment? the different ride height might be stuffing things up, but yeah, shocks can do that too.
lowrlux
Occasional Poster

September 2004
Re: Shortend shocks Thu, 03 November 2005 23:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah we checked wheel alignment after we lowered it and it was pretty good.

I guess i was wondering if seeing as though the shocks are already partly compressed, their effectiveness would have been reduced. Shortend shocks won't be compressed as much and therefore should be operating more effectively.

I dunno, I though shock performance affected braking, might be wrong though.
cannonball
Forums Junkie

July 2004
Re: Shortend shocks Thu, 03 November 2005 23:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nah, you are right, I just thought first thing to check would be alignment, but you've already done that, so its all good Very Happy

terra
Regular

July 2005
Re: Shortend shocks Fri, 04 November 2005 00:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i dare say you need more suspension travel? the suspension is bottomig out and forcing the tyres to take the braking load which it gets to its maximum point then just locks up.

lower the rear to stop it from sending so much weight to the front during braking.

edit: if the rear is locking up same deal, no more travel at the front to allow the chassis to dive so the whole rear end just lifts up.... lower it Smile

[Updated on: Fri, 04 November 2005 00:07]

cannonball
Forums Junkie

July 2004
Re: Shortend shocks Fri, 04 November 2005 02:14 Go to previous message
Its not hitting the bump stops is it? that'l F things up really well. Easy test, make a little ball of blue tack, and stick it on the bump stop, then drive down a smooth road, and brake, start soft, then a little harder each time, and see if the ball is being deformed.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:1969 CORONA
Next Topic:eds 2j manifold part I
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu May 2 00:15:22 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0046849250793457 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.