Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
oldman
Occasional Poster

May 2005
MR2 wierd noise Thu, 03 November 2005 10:18 Go to next message
Hi guys, I have just started noticing a noise when I am driving my aw11 N/A (185k). The noise is more apparent when the engine is cool and is only evident when driving in 2nd or 3rd gear and holding revs steady. During acceleration the noise is ever so slightly evident over 4000RPM and is completely non existent when deccelerating. Also when pushing in the clutch to change into 2nd and 3rd gear the noise appears, again more so when the engine is cool but is still enough to worry me at normal operating temperature. The noise is sort of a rattle type noise, but not just a plain rattle, i think it is similar to what an old diesel engine sometimes sounds like. I know its hard to explain but I was wondering if any of the MR2 owners know if there are any well known problems that may be the cause of such noise. I would just like to be more educated to what the problem may or may not be in an effort to avoid being ripped off by a mechanic.
  Send a private message to this user    
wiso
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: MR2 wierd noise Fri, 04 November 2005 11:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
how long have you owned the car for?
does this noise happen when idling?
how long has this noise been happening?

if it sounds like a rattle from the engine when accelerating and eventually it could happen at idle, if that is the case one possibility is it could be a worn bearing, most possibly a big end. or it could be something to do with the vavles, maybe. I am going with the big end bearing though. if you know a bit about cars, and it does get worse, or is pretty bad, you can pull the sump off, if it is a bearing you will see metal shavings in the sump.

unfortunatly idiots get these cars and strap the tits off them cause they abuse them as performance cars. its not right, my old one the engine had gave up the ghost at 184000kms, because of a previous owner that had strapped it, HG gone, bearings gone. its not pretty Sad

if you maybe take it to a mechanic give them a listen to it, if they think the same thing, you maybe on the money with that

[Updated on: Fri, 04 November 2005 11:31]

wiso
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: MR2 wierd noise Fri, 04 November 2005 11:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
another thing sorry to get you worried...

does it happen when are are stationary and rev the engine?
or is it only when you are moving?
does it get worse when you corner?

if this is more the case it could also possibly be the CV's maybe worn allowing to much slop, this could be that case if it happens worse on corners, or also possibly the wheel bearings maybe worn, these wouldn't make it worse on cornering, but thiese would only make the sound while moving, pretty constant.

but if you are stationary and rev it and it rattles, see above post again.
feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: MR2 wierd noise Fri, 04 November 2005 11:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
pull the heat sheild off the exhaust manifold and check if there is a crack on the #4 runner. (make sure you spray some penerative spray on the bolt heads of the heat sheild 1st though).
oldman
Occasional Poster

May 2005
Re: MR2 wierd noise Fri, 04 November 2005 11:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It does do it when I am stationary but not at idle revs, only when revs are increased. Also while I am stationary it really only happens when the engine is cold.

I've had the car for about 1 month, I got it for $2500 as the bodywork needs quite a lot of help, i bought it as a project car to restore to original condition, with a few enhancements along the way and i only drive it on the weekend. I am quite sure when i got the car it did not make this noise at all, it has become apparent very quickly, my first impression was maybe it was something in the driveline, since it is most apparent when dirving in a straight line holding revs steady in low gears, i thought that maybe because at that point there was not as much pressure on one of the driveline components they rattling around, but you probably have a better idea than me. If it turns out to be really bad then I may schedule the engine rebuild i was going to attempt a bit sooner rather than later. But im hoping it wont come to that yet.
oldman
Occasional Poster

May 2005
Re: MR2 wierd noise Fri, 04 November 2005 11:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Feral4mr2 sorry but i'm not exactly sure what you mean by "penetrative spray"? I would definately like to take off the heat shield and check it out though.
feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: MR2 wierd noise Fri, 04 November 2005 12:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
get some Inox dude
wiso
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: MR2 wierd noise Fri, 04 November 2005 12:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well I am going to put my money on the #4 big end, they are always the first to let go, as i said best bet is to take it to a mechanic/engine builder, and give it a rev and let them listen, they should be able to tell you.

or maybe as simple as your flywheel bolts are coming loose Confused a random though, but I heard this in my celcia once, I used the wrong bolts and it made a weird ticking sound
wiso
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: MR2 wierd noise Fri, 04 November 2005 12:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
feral4mr2 wrote on Fri, 04 November 2005 23:01

get some Inox dude

WD40, RP7 same stuff, does the job
TRD_07
Regular

September 2005
Re: MR2 wierd noise Fri, 04 November 2005 13:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
silly suggestion, but pinging?? what petrol do you put in it?

3 reasons i say this

1. it's different when hot / cold

2. revving up but not decelerating

3. different sounds at different rev points.
oldman
Occasional Poster

May 2005
Re: MR2 wierd noise Fri, 04 November 2005 21:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Since I only drive it on the weekends ive only put petrol in it twice, first time was shell optimax, this time i just put plain premium unleaded (95 octane).
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: MR2 wierd noise Sat, 05 November 2005 00:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
could it be the t-vis opening up possibly a loose butterfly on the tvis???

sounds about the right rpm...

could be a rattle in the exhast like a cracked resonator or the like not that mr2's have resonators but maybe the muffler also could be a loose bolt on the heat sheilding so the sheilding may be resonating

In my last car i kept cracking the inside baffling on the resonator so it would resonate at a sertian rpm bloody annoying had to get a stainless steel one in the end..
Starfire
Regular

December 2004
Re: MR2 wierd noise Sat, 05 November 2005 04:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It sounds like an exhaust leak to me.

My car used to do it before I changed the exhaust over. was most evident at 3500-4000 rpm.
Mr Revhead
Regular

October 2004
Re: MR2 wierd noise Sat, 05 November 2005 06:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
id be looking at ya manifold as feral suggested. it certainly doesnt sound like a big end or anything
oldman
Occasional Poster

May 2005
Re: MR2 wierd noise Sun, 06 November 2005 02:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ok thanks everyone, ill see what i can find, if im not successful ill head to the mechanics at least being somewhat educated as to what it might be, thanks again:)
Mr Revhead
Regular

October 2004
Re: MR2 wierd noise Sun, 06 November 2005 03:46 Go to previous message
did you just call us uneducated? Shocked Razz

yep, if your unsure, go see a mechanic. being able to hear it first hand they shouldnt have to much of a problem figuring it out
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:HELP!! microtech lt8/10 4age 20v base Map data
Next Topic:105km/h speed alert where is it and how do i remove it
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 15:13:10 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0055019855499268 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.