Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
pkt-rkt
Regular

March 2005
    vz
intercooler piping Wed, 26 October 2005 13:26 Go to next message
yo guys anyone here pipied up there intercooler with just steel cylinder piping ? I got a couple of 2inch diamete bed rails and plan on making a cheap and reliable piping to my front mount on my 4agze ae82 , i dont wanna go out and pay big dollars for custom piping if its gonna give me the same effect.

i got 90' 45' and straight pipes on hand so i can do it but is the material usefull ?

Its not that heavy if ya thinking that just just be a pain to weld a path for the inlet and outlet and throw in a couple of silicon reduces and walla.

I am not worried about how its gonna look just performance wise
Question is will this do ?

[Updated on: Wed, 26 October 2005 13:27]

Send a private message to this user    
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: intercooler piping Wed, 26 October 2005 13:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
can't see why it woudln't work.. it's just a tube.
I'd imagine it'd be a REAL shit to weld with tho
terra
Regular

July 2005
Re: intercooler piping Wed, 26 October 2005 14:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
make sure you treat it for rust.
pkt-rkt
Regular

March 2005
    vz
Re: intercooler piping Wed, 26 October 2005 23:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
welding should be ok , for the rust i plan on just hosing rust kill throw the pipes and spraying coldgal in side the piping to prevent rust.

probly mig it or oxy it using silver solder depends which i can borrow from work.

like i said i aint fussed with looks just the perfomance , i red somewhere if the cooler is not piped up properly the cars supercharger gets damamged and the car stalls ? is this true
just to clarify it. but i no the s/c will overheat if its not done properly just others thing i am after that may effect the engine.

thanks for replies

[Updated on: Thu, 27 October 2005 08:39]

Henn
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: intercooler piping Thu, 27 October 2005 00:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OK, I can't make much sense of the post directly above. However you have to be 100% sure your IC piping has no leaks. If it does then you will get a high idle and loose boost (obviously). Also if it is an AFM model then your mixtures will be all stuffed up.

As for SC overheating, I have never heard or experienced anything of the sort due to bad piping.

2" pipework is fine. The ZE throttle is only 2", as are the cast SC outlet pipe and intake manifold entry.

Don't worry about rust, the insides of the pipes get coated in oil from the cam breather. And the outside doesn't matter (though it would look a bit crap all rusted)

Give it a go, as Draven said, it'll probably be a bitch to weld, and keep your silicon (or radiator hose) joins as short as possible to prevent them getting sucked in.

Hen
pkt-rkt
Regular

March 2005
    vz
Re: intercooler piping Thu, 27 October 2005 08:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
1 more question ? is it possible to use radiator hose all the way through the car to be my bends ? and just use the steel piping to clamp on to ?
can someone clarify this for me please ?

also if this doesnt work do muffler places provide bending services for front mount intercoolers ?

[Updated on: Thu, 27 October 2005 08:47]

ReQuieM
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: intercooler piping Thu, 27 October 2005 08:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah ya could but like mentioned above it'll flex like a mofo, i assume causing lag(? correct if wrong?). I've seen silicon piping for IC piping, donno how good it'd be tho!

Most muffler joints only do crush bending (not shit hot but it'll do), and most wont do bigger then 2 odd inch...

*Insert shameless plug* but why bother when you can buy my 2 odd inch IC piping from my JZA70 setup?! comes with silicon hoesing and all! Rolling Eyes Evil or Very Mad
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: intercooler piping Thu, 27 October 2005 09:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ps: if you need to be this dodgy with your IC piping, maybe you should consider a new hobby.. or at least shelving your turbo/IC plans until you have enough money do at least do a half-arsed job, if not a proper one
RA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: intercooler piping Thu, 27 October 2005 12:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message

*cough* PVC!!
pkt-rkt
Regular

March 2005
    vz
Re: intercooler piping Thu, 27 October 2005 12:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
draven , i know its dodgey but like i said it doesnt bother me mate , as long as it does the job in the long run , i dont wanna go out and pay for custom fabrication etc , all i am asking is that is it possible to use radiator hose 2inch think bend and silcon hose clamp it the way i wont it ?

why is it that radiator hose is not any good ? its cheap , maneuverable and it will seal with no leaks with piping same size to help it clamp ?.

Do you know of anyone that has done this ?
just curious thats all.

pkt-rkt
Regular

March 2005
    vz
Re: intercooler piping Thu, 27 October 2005 12:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
will pressure in the intercooler just bust them or will it be satisfactery
terra
Regular

July 2005
Re: intercooler piping Thu, 27 October 2005 13:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
good clamps or bead the metal so it clamps better.
RA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: intercooler piping Thu, 27 October 2005 23:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
When I did mine, I had a length of 2 or 2.5" (can't remember which) pipe, and I went to a hose place (westhose or enzed or something) and bought some rubber elbows, rated to 45 PSI. they came in 90 and 45 degree bends and used host clamps on the steel bits I cut to join.

As long as the clamps were tight it was a great and cheap setup. I think the elbows were 5 bucks each or something.

Tim.

I almost forgot. I've never seen any radiator hoses over 1.5" or so, and this will be fairly restrictive. Plus, some radiator hoses have the spring inside so it holds it's shape. I think this spring often sits in the passage and would cause a lot of turbulance.

The radiator hoses shouldn't be much cheaper than the rubber bends from a hose place anyway.

Tim.

[Updated on: Thu, 27 October 2005 23:48]

Ben Wilson
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: intercooler piping Thu, 27 October 2005 23:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The radiator hose would be OK under pressure, but, it will collapse under a vacuum (which you get in a ZE).

Not a good thing.
pkt-rkt
Regular

March 2005
    vz
Re: intercooler piping Fri, 28 October 2005 04:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok thanks for replying , i seen radiator hoses 2inch wide at super cheap , but anyway i am gonna make up a pvc piping of the route i need and ask a place for a quote on the length and bending of it.

see how that goes , or i mite just do what you done with the hoses 90 degree and 45 degree bends

where did you buy them from?
rthy
Forums Junkie

January 2004
wtf is a jabber? a punch line?
Re: intercooler piping Fri, 28 October 2005 04:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
invest into the steel or metal piping

save u problems in the long run

most exhaust shops can make em for you, im about to get a quote for mine to look more... stock Rolling Eyes
bayka
Regular

I Supported Toymods

September 2002
Re: intercooler piping Fri, 28 October 2005 06:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey man, love your style...radiator hose.
Ive been waiting to mount my 600x300x76 FMIC for over 2 months cause i cant afford the time and cash to weld and fit metal pipework. Fuck it, im going to try radiator hose...sue me..haha

Come to mention it, I have a mate running radiator hose on his TX3 turbo, admittedly this should be easier due to no vacuum sucking hose shut but never know till we try Smile

-daniel-
pkt-rkt
Regular

March 2005
    vz
Re: intercooler piping Sat, 29 October 2005 02:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
good luck Smile
rthy
Forums Junkie

January 2004
wtf is a jabber? a punch line?
Re: intercooler piping Sat, 29 October 2005 02:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
how much did u get quoted? for? $200?
bayka
Regular

I Supported Toymods

September 2002
Re: intercooler piping Sat, 29 October 2005 17:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
--- Update ---
Mounted 600x300x76 FMIC today behind the front bumper...sleeper. This is possible with intercooler of this size in ae92/93 if:
-ripped out aircon
-grind a corner off each of the front bumper backets that hold the 2 mounts which attach bumper to chassis
-shave a bit off the back of the plastic grills on bumper
-remove metal bracket that braces bonnet locking mechanism from below. (this has caused great difficulty in getting bonnet to lock shut due to increased flex - fixing 2morrow)

--- Notes ---
The thing is huge, has added 10 degrees celcius to water temp, will see how this holds up.

--- Piping ---
Picking up PVC parts and radiator hoses 2morrow, going to pipe between each front headlight and front bumper mounts. Just enough room for 2" pipe.

Ah the functional bodge Smile
-daniel-
GUN-16L
Occasional Poster

July 2004
Re: intercooler piping Sun, 30 October 2005 11:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i have a front mount in my ae82 and thats polished metal!! and when off boost my 90 degree bends suck inn due 2 vacaum and there the top quality 90degree bends so i wouldnt reckonment useing radiator hose
pkt-rkt
Regular

March 2005
    vz
Re: intercooler piping Mon, 31 October 2005 07:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
arr thats gun helped alot...
daniel good luck man tell me how it goes mate very interested.
with the pvc i was jsut gonna use it as a guideline to get to a exhaust place to bend it to the exact pvc display Smile
drift86levin
Forums Junkie

August 2004
Re: intercooler piping Mon, 31 October 2005 07:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
with all you guys saying how expensive it is to get I/C piping made up by a pro..where the hell are you going!? my setup i used to have would cost around $400-500.. all stainless..all mandril bends..made up by Extreme Engineering and that wasn't really a discount price either.. (don't have to worry about rust) and i sold it to Chooney-AE86..thats all silicone, all hose clamps..fitted drive in drive out..what are you guys getting quoted?

those welds arn't linished either..pulse TIG welds..ohh yeh..thats why i now work with this guy best fabricator i know..

http://images.cainer.net//uploads/piping.jpg
Henn
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: intercooler piping Mon, 31 October 2005 12:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The main things to remember with ZE IC piping is that it is usually under vacuum. So any long flexible sections, or elbows for that matter, will collapse. This could cause dodgy idling or stalling.

Radiator hosing is usually rated to around 10bar and 200deg C, so I think it is fine to use to join IC pipes. It's just not as thin, flexible or expensive as silicon hosing.

Hen
riceburna73
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: intercooler piping Mon, 31 October 2005 13:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Im not having a go but I dont get it when people who know how to weld dont do this shit themselves.

If you are worried about costs only buy the bends from a metal place and just drop through some hand rail/metal febrication places to scab some of the straights etc,lining all the bends up properly is apiece of piss and then just get the silicone hose reducers off ebay..

Trust me if I can do it any fuck can Very Happy
bayka
Regular

I Supported Toymods

September 2002
Re: intercooler piping Mon, 31 October 2005 15:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dude, thats awesome pipework for the price and thanks for the pic (looks mean), but $400 is way out of my price range and im sure its out of pkt-rkt's too.

--- cost for my entire FMIC setup so far ---
1. 600x300x76mm aluminum intercooler : $100 + 100kw 4age ecu + 100kw MAP sensor
2. 2m of grade 18 PVC, various 45 / 90 degree grade 18 bends, pvc cement : $70
3. 2.5", 2" hose clamps : $12
4. 4x 2.5" silicon hose joins : free off mate
TOTAL : $182

beat that Wink
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: intercooler piping Mon, 31 October 2005 16:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
another $100 and matching up bends yourself and you could have stainless and silicon and no PVC Razz

bayka
Regular

I Supported Toymods

September 2002
Re: intercooler piping Mon, 31 October 2005 16:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
But what if one day I was in a remote location and we needed to construct a make-shift reticulation system?

We'd have the PVC! Surprised
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: intercooler piping Mon, 31 October 2005 16:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bayka wrote on Tue, 01 November 2005 03:19

But what if one day I was in a remote location and we needed to construct a make-shift reticulation system?

We'd have the PVC! Surprised

LOL Very Happy touche Razz
ReQuieM
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: intercooler piping Tue, 01 November 2005 00:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
~$200 3" manderal bent ALUMINUM with silicon... beat that Evil or Very Mad

More when i get a proper reducer tho Rolling Eyes
pkt-rkt
Regular

March 2005
    vz
Re: intercooler piping Tue, 01 November 2005 08:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
good luck mate with the pvc , i am gonna hold off piping my intercooler now ,me thinks i better fix the injector leaking near spark plugs Sad
bayka
Regular

I Supported Toymods

September 2002
Re: intercooler piping Wed, 02 November 2005 14:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
--- OPERATION PVC: STATUS UPDATE ---

Material : PVC grade 18 , joins and pipe
FMIC : 600x300x76 aluminium

System was piped up sealed properly and embarked on maiden voyage this evening. Inlet and outlet pipes from SC were 90 degree metal, silicon clamped to the rest of the pvc intercooler system.
Man after this, im ready to put a toilet in...

After 30seconds of initial idle quavering the ecu appeared to adjust to the vastly increased low pressure zone before intake and started idling properly.

So far no heat issues on the hot side, the intake pipes will not heat up more than room temperature, difference is phenomenal.

POWER GAIN : Estimated 20-30% increase in performance. Switched off SC for first run and WITHOUT SC the car drives comparably to an 88kw 4age!!! Fuck i cant wait till morning.

--- Pics Coming Tomorrow ---
Surprised
bayka
Regular

I Supported Toymods

September 2002
Re: intercooler piping Thu, 03 November 2005 10:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
pics arrived>

check "PVC intercooler piping for 4AGZE ae92/93 *recipe & pics!*" post in tech&conversions

Surprised
-daniel-
Fujiwara_ToFu
Regular

March 2004

Re: intercooler piping Sat, 05 November 2005 15:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PVC Laughing Laughing Laughing

Hemi_twofifteen_turbo uses that on his old school chrysler centura.

-Jay
EMP-2TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: intercooler piping Sat, 05 November 2005 21:24 Go to previous message
my intercooler piping is just mild steel
360deg dounuts are less than $30... all up mine cost well under $100 once welded and painted
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:4AGTE Headgaskets
Next Topic:EFI ECU's
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Wed Apr 24 23:51:20 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0075581073760986 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.