Toymods » Tech & Conversions » AWD 3S-GTE SV-21 Camry mmmmmmmm

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
ToyCam Steve
Occasional Poster

June 2002
icon8.gif  AWD 3S-GTE SV-21 Camry mmmmmmmm Tue, 18 June 2002 11:23 Go to next message
Hey, i've just been handed down a CS-X SV21 Camry from my olds. I hated it initially but its kinda grown on me. Since I've got it, its been stiffened and dropped 30mm, new bushes, and a filter, and it out handles most of my friends cars, except a friend who has a R32 GTS Happy Sad . Im getting kinda tired of the auto (!!) and 3S-FE and was wondering if anyone has advice on simple mods i could do to it.
And purely as a hypothetical, would it be possible to fit a 3S-GTE engine and a GT4 AWD driveline into a SV21?? A WRX-beating camry...hmmmmmmm...
  Send a private message to this user    
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: AWD 3S-GTE SV-21 Camry mmmmmmmm Tue, 18 June 2002 12:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ToyCam Steve wrote on Tue, 18 June 2002 9:23 PM

And purely as a hypothetical, would it be possible to fit a 3S-GTE engine and a GT4 AWD driveline into a SV21?? A WRX-beating camry...hmmmmmmm...

If your just an average jo blow, NO. If your a rich prick, Yes of course you can do that Sir.
Jonny2TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: AWD 3S-GTE SV-21 Camry mmmmmmmm Wed, 19 June 2002 02:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Someone has tryed this. Checkout ZOOM No.47

Its a fiarly big job, and you need lots of engineering skill and knowhow.

I would advise you get a early 3S-GE motor from a 2WD Celica. Or even a 3S-GTE with the 2WD gearbox. Of just buy another camry with th V6 in it. But I would prefer the 3S-GE.
._T_.
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: AWD 3S-GTE SV-21 Camry mmmmmmmm Wed, 19 June 2002 02:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
what you want is called a caldina gt-t - jap spec camry thing, available in 4x4, top spec got the 3sgte. still make them i believe

of course getting all the bits to build your project into aus might be a problem......

T
Apollo
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: AWD 3S-GTE SV-21 Camry mmmmmmmm Wed, 19 June 2002 05:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The work to get in a rear drive shaft and be able to drive the rear wheels alone = $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Jonny2TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: AWD 3S-GTE SV-21 Camry mmmmmmmm Wed, 19 June 2002 09:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It only costs big dollars if you can't do it yourself. If you know what your doing, have a workshop, welder, lathe, skills etc, you can do the rear drive conversion cheap once you buy the GT4 parts.

Apollo
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: AWD 3S-GTE SV-21 Camry mmmmmmmm Wed, 19 June 2002 09:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
How many of us have that setup in the backyard though? (Man I wish I did).

You also have to get it approved by the department of transport. Unless you are an engineer yourself, you have to get your plans seen to first by one and approved by them. Best to do that first before the work or you might have a car you can't put on the road.
CamryMan
Regular

May 2002
Re: AWD 3S-GTE SV-21 Camry mmmmmmmm Thu, 20 June 2002 07:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If you have serious enquires, call John Collins Dyno in Newcastle. He had a hand in building one
jase
Regular

May 2002
Re: AWD 3S-GTE SV-21 Camry mmmmmmmm Thu, 20 June 2002 11:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wasn't there a Camry all-trac (same as they tagged the GT4 in the states?

sv2* type/bodyshape?
CamryMan
Regular

May 2002
Re: AWD 3S-GTE SV-21 Camry mmmmmmmm Fri, 21 June 2002 00:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
That was a SV25, a 3S-FE with a A504 drivetrain.

The RAV4 was based on this engine and drivetrain configuration.
ToyCam Steve
Occasional Poster

June 2002
Re: AWD 3S-GTE SV-21 Camry mmmmmmmm Fri, 21 June 2002 08:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for your help, i think i'll stick with a 3s-ge maybe 3s-gte front drive till i win the lottery.
jase
Regular

May 2002
Re: AWD 3S-GTE SV-21 Camry mmmmmmmm Fri, 21 June 2002 13:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sorry to hijack the thread abit, but Camryman, what year was the sv25?

Is it 15 years or more yet?

Just thinking that seeing that the rav trasaxle exits in the same spot to the rear diff as an st185, and the clutch assembly in an sv25 is interchangeable between an st185 (I checked some part numbers), if you could get an sv25 and a frontcut st205 or st185, use the transaxle from the frontcut, would you really have to be that rich?

Mind you finding an sv25 might be the same chance as winning the lottery.
ToyCam Steve
Occasional Poster

June 2002
Re: AWD 3S-GTE SV-21 Camry mmmmmmmm Sat, 22 June 2002 03:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Excuse my ignorance but what is the difference between a SV21 and a sv25??
Jonny2TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: AWD 3S-GTE SV-21 Camry mmmmmmmm Sat, 22 June 2002 03:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Someone already said. Like a normal SV21 Camry, only with 4WD and a few other options. And there are none in Australia so don't bother looking. Maybe you can get a wrecker RAV4 and get that stuff to make a AWD camry.
ChRiStOf
Occasional Poster

October 2002
Re: AWD 3S-GTE SV-21 Camry mmmmmmmm Wed, 09 July 2003 03:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey guys...

I used to own the camry in my avatar untill I wrote it off... Mad

Although, I did have it dropped 1.5 inches all round, with the exhaust done and it had the best ride, my dad used to take it rather than his merc cause he loved my car. Laughing

But, I have had to settle with a maxima as my fill in car.

However, my love for the camry is dominant...
So, when I heard about a possible camry with the 3S-GTE, I wanted to get one but have been having heaps of trouble...
Has anyone heard anymore on the topic... Rolling Eyes

$$$$$$$$$$$
is definately the key player in the equation...

so, is there a 4wd turbo camry out there, if not, is there a 4wd camry out there that I can dump a gt4 3S-GTE engine into...

Talk soon
Chris
Jonny2TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: AWD 3S-GTE SV-21 Camry mmmmmmmm Wed, 09 July 2003 08:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
There was never a 4WD Camry sold in Australia. In America, there was a 4WD Camry model of the SV21 shape, called the "Alltrak". This was also the american name for the Celica GT-4 and AE95 Corolla wagon. It was not turbo.

If you want a 4WD turbo Camry in Australia, it will be a conversion, probably using Celica GT-4 drivetrain and engine.
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: AWD 3S-GTE SV-21 Camry mmmmmmmm Wed, 09 July 2003 11:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
let me find a thread - i have some pics of one of these alltrak's somewhere

digging !!

theres a gt4 corona if anyones curios - no pics on the camry as yet

check it out here ->http://www.crossy59.freeserve.co.uk/chrissgt4.html

[Updated on: Wed, 09 July 2003 11:52]

sideshow
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: AWD 3S-GTE SV-21 Camry mmmmmmmm Wed, 09 July 2003 11:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i fitted a microtech to a camry with a 3sgte 2wd
went pretty good for only runnin 12 psi

only prob u might have is the 2wd gbox might not last long if u drive it hard

SmellyTofu
Regular

May 2002
Re: AWD 3S-GTE SV-21 Camry mmmmmmmm Wed, 09 July 2003 12:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jase wrote on Fri, 21 June 2002 23:07

Sorry to hijack the thread abit, but Camryman, what year was the sv25?

Is it 15 years or more yet?

Just thinking that seeing that the rav trasaxle exits in the same spot to the rear diff as an st185, and the clutch assembly in an sv25 is interchangeable between an st185 (I checked some part numbers), if you could get an sv25 and a frontcut st205 or st185, use the transaxle from the frontcut, would you really have to be that rich?

Mind you finding an sv25 might be the same chance as winning the lottery.

The SV25 came out the same year the SV21 did so it'd start to fall under the 15 year rule. You'll find most of the SV25 are scrapped in Japan but there were some SV21 floating around at the auctions 2 yrs ago. Haven't seen any now lately. But if you find one, buy it... then slot in the 3SGTE.

Jonny, the SV25 is the All-trac sold in the states. None came down this way...

Steve, SV25 to a SV21 is the same as a AE95 to a AE92... basically a 4WD & 2WD drivetrain difference.
Jayem
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: AWD 3S-GTE SV-21 Camry mmmmmmmm Thu, 10 July 2003 08:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I dont know much about Camrys but I think the few 4wd Camrys that I have seen are all been V6 (2VZ-FE) powered.
crazy_camry
Regular

April 2003
Re: AWD 3S-GTE SV-21 Camry mmmmmmmm Sat, 12 July 2003 04:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
US ones had the 3s-fe and weighed over 3000lb (whatever that is in kg), i got that info off some US site.
wizzfizz2097
Regular

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: AWD 3S-GTE SV-21 Camry mmmmmmmm Sat, 12 July 2003 12:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
some one mentioned a rav4 and camry having same stuff??

i had this thought of grabbing a rav4 frame and drive train and just wacking a sv21 body on it.... hahahahaha

modding an sv21 for 4wd would be difficult because as i can see the feul tank is partially between the rear wheels, and im also thinking how will the driveshaft get down there with no tunnel built into the car (of course you could change that if you have the bling bling)
and how would this rear drive train connect to the front?? cause like the gearbox is on the side as its an east/west engine bay....

ah toooo much thinking
Iceman
Regular

January 2003
Re: AWD 3S-GTE SV-21 Camry mmmmmmmm Sun, 20 July 2003 04:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the 4WD camry was released in the UK in april 1988. It was powered by the 3S-FE.(the same engine in the sv21's. It had a FIXED ratio of 50/50 front and rear wheel bios. The engine produced 126bhp at 6000rpm. 4wheel discs and ABS.

I found an article on it in a performance CAR mag issued in April 1988, which i had lying around...

RANDOM ay Laughing
I personally have an SV21 and LOVE IT Razz it's got the zorst done and suspenssio too Smile

[Updated on: Sun, 20 July 2003 04:11]

DJB79
Occasional Poster

June 2005
Re: AWD 3S-GTE SV-21 Camry mmmmmmmm Sun, 23 October 2005 14:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jonny2TG wrote on Wed, 19 June 2002 12:14

Someone has tryed this. Checkout ZOOM No.47

Do yuou have this article. I'm tossing up whether to ditch my sv21 and get a liberty RS as I want AWD 2L turbo. If you've got a copy of the article that I could read that would be awesome.

Cheers
Darryl
ToyCam
Regular

April 2003
Re: AWD 3S-GTE SV-21 Camry mmmmmmmm Sun, 23 October 2005 14:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Whoa!! one of my first threads...

Dude, sold the camry two years ago, for a V8 Falcon Smile then petrol went up, so now i have a Sprinter

I'd only stick with the camry if you want to be different, otherwise not really worth it

Cheers
Steve
CamryMan
Regular

May 2002
Re: AWD 3S-GTE SV-21 Camry mmmmmmmm Tue, 25 October 2005 12:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
DJB79 wrote on Mon, 24 October 2005 00:04

I'm tossing up whether to ditch my sv21 and get a liberty RS as I want AWD 2L turbo.

It's not an easy mod. You have to cut the spare tyre well out and shift the fuel tank to fit the rear diff in. Loads of other custom modifications and fabrications as well. Way too much headache unless you stumble across an SV25 which is high unlikely. I have been told the GT4 conversion into a RAV4 was fairly straight forward.

Your better off buying a factory 2L AWD Turbo like a liberty RS if that is what you are after.
tricky
Regular

July 2005
Re: AWD 3S-GTE SV-21 Camry mmmmmmmm Wed, 26 October 2005 00:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If you have the 'skillz' to perfectly align the drivetrain for vibration free operation, go for it. Otherwise don't bother. Nearly every iunstance of backyard FWD-->AWD conversion have ended in failure, or giving up on the car due to driveline vibrations. Heaps of dudes have tried ST162 body + ST165 running gear, and it just ain't that simple.
DJB79
Occasional Poster

June 2005
Re: AWD 3S-GTE SV-21 Camry mmmmmmmm Fri, 04 November 2005 04:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I just rang John Collins Dyno in newcastle and spke to a guy (didn't get his name).

he said that there was a SV21 on the road with GroupA ST205 GT4 drivetrain, running gear and engine. He said it was a lot of work involved in odifying the following:
Transmission Tunnel,
Fuel Tank,
spare wheel well
exhaust

He also said that they were no interested in doing one again. Back to sqare one I guess.

At least I've now got a SV25 manual coming in from the US that I can try to compare to my Haymes SV21 manual to get parts ideas and so forth from.

Now to find the price of a suitable donor GT4 Celica, or at least a frontcut and the main drive shaft parts.

Anyone know a good place to just get the driveshaft, reardiff and transfercase/centre diff from?

Cheers
Darryl
Norminator
Regular

August 2002
Re: AWD 3S-GTE SV-21 Camry mmmmmmmm Fri, 04 November 2005 04:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
it'd have to be a lot easier to import an sv25, wouldn't it??

my partners folks have one, done < 50,000km.. i'm sure they wouldn't be that hard to find to import?? don't see a lot of guys falling over each other to buy Camrys!!!
DJB79
Occasional Poster

June 2005
Re: AWD 3S-GTE SV-21 Camry mmmmmmmm Fri, 04 November 2005 06:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Norminator,
where did your partners folk's get their's from?

I just tried all the jap import places here in adelaide an no-one is bringing them in. I can maybe place a special order with $ brothers imports but that is a long shot as they don't know when the cars if at all will be available from Japan.

Cheers
Darryl
domasik
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: AWD 3S-GTE SV-21 Camry mmmmmmmm Fri, 04 November 2005 06:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ive seen a 4wd camry in australia before. in thornleight. was red and looked immaculate and had 4WD and some otehr shit written down on the rear doors
Norminator
Regular

August 2002
Re: AWD 3S-GTE SV-21 Camry mmmmmmmm Fri, 04 November 2005 06:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sorry... poor explaination on my part.

my partner is japanese. her parents bought it new years ago, but they live in Hokkaido, Japan...

they're not seen as anything more than a shopping trolley for places where it snows... so i'd suspect that finding one to import couldn't be that hard. importers probably aren't bringing them in because they don't get a lot of guys calling up asking for a 15yo AWD camry. i think if you found one that they would probably be pretty cheap to buy.

on the downside, due to the market they target, cars available may have had a tough life when i think about it (surviving seasons of snow and ice, and all the goodness that goes with it). you'd need to do a triple check for corrosion!!!
Fujiwara_ToFu
Regular

March 2004

Re: AWD 3S-GTE SV-21 Camry mmmmmmmm Sat, 05 November 2005 15:41 Go to previous message
Definately wouldn't be expensive using the 15 year rule (if it was pre-1988 now i think it is)

Some SV21 lover DO IT!!!!

I'd love to see one of these "family cars" pwn the crap out of most cars out there.
Even if if does land here, how hard would it be to swap in a 3S-GTE (ignoring electronics, wiring, front rear tune and all that)?

Considering it's a 3S block. Pardon my lack of knowledge in this field.

-Jay
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:EFI ECU's
Next Topic:267Degree Wade Cams or 86kw Big Port cams for 100kw 4age
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 15:39:30 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0070719718933105 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.