Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
billmchenry
Regular

June 2005
3sgte not boosting enough Sun, 06 November 2005 09:18 Go to next message
I have just installed a boost controller and gauge in my celica and it wont boost up to the desired pressure i want. Its a gen 1 3sgte btw.

I have ran a line from a t-piece off the wastegate actuator and i installed the controller in the cabin. Its one of those simple turbosmart ones.

I disconnected that tvsv by blocking off the tubes. It will only boost to round 6psi with the controller closed and 8psi with it fully open. It holds pressure at high revs ok.

Anyone got any ideas?
  Send a private message to this user    
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: 3sgte not boosting enough Sun, 06 November 2005 09:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
shagged turbo

boost leak

restrictive exhaust

melted cat

[Updated on: Sun, 06 November 2005 09:27]

billmchenry
Regular

June 2005
Re: 3sgte not boosting enough Sun, 06 November 2005 09:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well it has a 2.5 inch press bend exhaust which would b bigger than standard, and they boost up to 9psi standard right?

I hav smashed the cat out.... So thats out of the question haha.

engine has done 130000 klms. Turbo should b ok shouldnt it..

wat do u mean by boost leak?

kuro
Occasional Poster

November 2005
Re: 3sgte not boosting enough Sun, 06 November 2005 09:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
maybe its a stock boost setting on the ecu...
Jorrs
Forums Junkie

October 2004
Re: 3sgte not boosting enough Sun, 06 November 2005 13:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nope my st162, 3sgte boosts to 15 psi fine then hits cut

[Updated on: Sun, 06 November 2005 13:48]

LAA.80E
Regular

April 2005
Re: 3sgte not boosting enough Sun, 06 November 2005 13:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
crappy boost controler??
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: 3sgte not boosting enough Sun, 06 November 2005 20:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
billmchenry wrote on Sun, 06 November 2005 20:42

wat do u mean by boost leak?

that there is a leak in the i/c piping or the i/c itself
kuro
Occasional Poster

November 2005
Re: 3sgte not boosting enough Sun, 06 November 2005 20:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
was your b/c bought brand new or used?
is is electronic or pneumatic?
if its pneumatic and one of those turbosmart ones, they have a reputation for being unreliable...
billmchenry
Regular

June 2005
Re: 3sgte not boosting enough Mon, 07 November 2005 09:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
its a secondhand turbosmart pneumatic one. I think its ok cos i bleeds of huge amount of air. But im no expert.

If it had a leak in the i/c piping wouldnt it suck in air when its under vacuum?
-gt-
Regular

I Supported Toymods

October 2004
Re: 3sgte not boosting enough Mon, 07 November 2005 09:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
billmchenry wrote on Mon, 07 November 2005 20:36

i bleeds of huge amount of air

What do you mean by a huge amount? Could this be your leak???
billmchenry
Regular

June 2005
Re: 3sgte not boosting enough Mon, 07 November 2005 10:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nah im mean when i wind the boost up. THe controller bleeds off heaps of air
Mr DOHC
Forums Junkie

October 2002

Re: 3sgte not boosting enough Mon, 07 November 2005 10:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
blocked bleed line
billmchenry
Regular

June 2005
Re: 3sgte not boosting enough Mon, 07 November 2005 10:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i only just installed it with a brand new bleed pipe.
dayzii
Occasional Poster

September 2004
Re: 3sgte not boosting enough Fri, 11 November 2005 09:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the t-peice is too restrictive. I had a similar problem. the supra wouldnt boost past 10psi
-=DV=-
Regular

May 2004
Re: 3sgte not boosting enough Fri, 11 November 2005 09:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
billmchenry wrote on Sun, 06 November 2005 20:18

I have just installed a boost controller and gauge in my celica and it wont boost up to the desired pressure i want. Its a gen 1 3sgte btw.

I have ran a line from a t-piece off the wastegate actuator and i installed the controller in the cabin. Its one of those simple turbosmart ones.

I disconnected that tvsv by blocking off the tubes. It will only boost to round 6psi with the controller closed and 8psi with it fully open. It holds pressure at high revs ok.

Anyone got any ideas?

id put my money on a fudgered turbo or wastegate man, with tvsv disabled u should be looking at 8-9 psi on stock boost....having said that though, when i turn my controller all the way down my guage doesnt show much more than 5psi...but im pretty sure ive got a leak somewhere aswell...cheers
billmchenry
Regular

June 2005
Re: 3sgte not boosting enough Sun, 13 November 2005 09:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The t - piece is pretty small. But thats the only size the fits isnt it? ANd its the only thing u can use right?

I mite disconnect the wastegate and c wat it does...
Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: 3sgte not boosting enough Sun, 13 November 2005 11:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Did you put the T piece on the wastegate line?
I assume the T piece was only for the boost gauge, if so you should have t'd into the line for the map (turbo pressure) sensor.

The boost controller can run directly between the wastegate hoses, no t piece required (just more vacuum hose)
billmchenry
Regular

June 2005
Re: 3sgte not boosting enough Mon, 14 November 2005 09:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The boost gauge comes off the plenum.

I hav the t-piece between the waste gate hoses. How can i put the boost controller in without a t- piece?
lilcrash
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: 3sgte not boosting enough Tue, 15 November 2005 21:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
to install a boost control with u need to have it in the wastegate line, with a t piece it is still not doin nethin. one more thing, u cannot CANNOT mount a boostcontol like that in your cabin. it needs to be as close to the turbo as possible. only electronic boost controls can be remotely mounted. pnematic requires the correct pressure to work and at that distance it is getting the wrong signal.

get a piece of hose the right size to go from the actuator to the turbo and cut it in half and put the contoler in there.

laterdays
billmchenry
Regular

June 2005
Re: 3sgte not boosting enough Wed, 16 November 2005 11:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I hav put it under the bonnet now. ABout 30cm from actuator line. It is t-d into the actuator line. Still only boosting 9psi
lilcrash
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: 3sgte not boosting enough Wed, 16 November 2005 19:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
u cannot use a t piece, it has a inlet and a outlet so plug it in between the actuator and the turbo.

laterdays
billmchenry
Regular

June 2005
Re: 3sgte not boosting enough Sat, 26 November 2005 10:36 Go to previous message
an inlet and an outlet on the wastegate actuator?

i took of the pipe to the actuator and it boosted up to 14 and hit boost cut. So i guess this means the turbo isnt shagged?
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Camry Angel Headlights
Next Topic:??oil sending unit??
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 11:14:39 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.007500171661377 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.