Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Ae86 issues?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
BigWillieStyles
Regular

October 2005
Ae86 issues? Sun, 06 November 2005 07:22 Go to next message
Hey im new to the forums, and am looking at buying an ae86. I currently have a Honda prelude 1993, but i bought the car with a loan from the bank and am looking at getting the loan down, plus i do alot of travelling kms and the milage is getting a bit high and i feel that if i do anymore that i am wrecking the car.

My question is, what sorta issues do i look for?

Are they prone to rust very easily?

Are they reliable and suitable for daily transport?

Im looking for a levin, with a 4age engine, but i there is a nice 4ac one i would consider that too.

Will
  Send a private message to this user    
xolent
Forums Junkie

October 2004
Re: Ae86 issues? Sun, 06 November 2005 07:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Think about it, it's a 20+ year old car. So yes, if not looked after, they will have rust and alot of mechanical problems. I think most, if not, all AE86 drivers has had their car die on the road before. But that can be because of the new engine conversion, stuff ups, etc.

They're pretty cheap for transport, but as I said, reliability is pretty much depends on how the previous owner treated it.
BigWillieStyles
Regular

October 2005
Re: Ae86 issues? Sun, 06 November 2005 09:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks mate for your reply.

I do realise that they are quite an old car, but the humble corolla has a reliable reputation, i was just wondering if there were any common issues with the 86 that alot of buyers are noticing and that i should keep an eye out for.
nightdevil
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

June 2003

Re: Ae86 issues? Sun, 06 November 2005 09:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
make sure you always have enough oil and water for the trusty ol' 4AC. although the water pumps tend to go in the 4ac's. (due to old age)I used to drive my old 4ac for almost 2 years to work 5 days a week (120kms per day) never skipped a beat until i did ahead gasket though
Arch
Forums Junkie

January 2004

Re: Ae86 issues? Sun, 06 November 2005 10:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yep agree with craig there, oil and water

its all you need Wink
BigWillieStyles
Regular

October 2005
Re: Ae86 issues? Sun, 06 November 2005 11:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well the 4ac sounds good, how about the 4age? Are they just as reliable?

Quote:

I used to drive my old 4ac for almost 2 years to work 5 days a week (120kms per day) never skipped a beat until i did ahead gasket though

i do 120km a day to work and back Shocked as well
Phrostbyte
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

April 2004
Re: Ae86 issues? Sun, 06 November 2005 11:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If you do a conversion right, or get an Levin/Trueno import, a 4AGE is just as reliable as a 4ac, with more power, more torque, more responsiveness, and a higher rev range. Keep in mind that whether import or aus done conversion, you won't pick up an AE86 with a 4AGE for much less than $5000-$10000 (depending on other mods such as suspension, brakes, interior, and what condition the body/engine is in).

If you want to keep your costs down a little bit, I suggest getting something stock, dont worry too much about rust, and then build it up from the ground, then atleast you know it's your own work. Stock sprinters go for between $2000 (if you are really lucky), up to around $5000 for the mint ones. Personally I'd suggest to go for a KE70/AE71, but that's my opinion Razz.

Kev.
rthy
Forums Junkie

January 2004
wtf is a jabber? a punch line?
Re: Ae86 issues? Mon, 07 November 2005 01:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if its for work, just get a ae82 + club lock, also they dont rust as quick as the ae86 Rolling Eyes
BigWillieStyles
Regular

October 2005
Re: Ae86 issues? Mon, 07 November 2005 12:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks guys for the replies,

I want an 86 cause i love the body styling and i want a RWD for some fun stuff (i dont thrash my car) , but at the same time i want a car that is reliable for travel to and from work. Plus i dont really wana be in debt with the bank, im looking for 86's at around the 5 to 6ish thousand, any more and i would have to borrow more money.

A 4age would be great, but i'd be happy with an ac that was also tidy.
nightdevil
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

June 2003

Re: Ae86 issues? Tue, 08 November 2005 07:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If i was you i'd be patient and keep an eye out for a hachi already converted with a 4age in good condition. If you want to spend 5-6K they pop up now and then for that price but u gotta be patient and quick. Because sooner or later you will simply want more power.
BigWillieStyles
Regular

October 2005
Re: Ae86 issues? Tue, 08 November 2005 12:34 Go to previous message
yeah im gona take my time, just wondering, what is the power specs for both engines?
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:sprinter+w55=??????
Next Topic:How to get oxidised Webers looking new again?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 22:50:42 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0058829784393311 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.