Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » General Car Talk » Chances of getting out of this if i appeal???

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Megz
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Chances of getting out of this if i appeal??? Sun, 06 November 2005 07:03 Go to next message
WEll last night i was leaving the trade union club in gymea.. When i was leaving the 'tradies' i saw 2 people do a u turn at the intersection on the kingsway and manchester road(i was facing towards miranda)... So i went into the right turn lane on the kingsway and waited for a green light, i got a green arrow and decided to do a u turn(cause i had to go the opposite way) thinking it was legal cause there wasn't any signs saying not to. So i did the turn and kept going... The next thing i know a highway patrol is behind me with his lights on! I pulled over and he said that, that was illegal to do. So he gave me a $175 fine and 2 demerit points. I explained why i did it and seeing there were no signs i thought that u could(plus i had the green turn arrow so it was safe to turn and i had seen many people do that turn before). And he said 'well it is illegal'...
What do you think my chances are of getting out of it if i appeal? Or should i just bare the fine and points and save myself the trouble of court?
I appreciate any suitable and helpful comments. If you have anything else to say, DON'T.
Cheers
Michael
  Send a private message to this user    
Big T
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: Chances of getting out of this if i appeal??? Sun, 06 November 2005 07:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It's illegal to do a U-turn at an intersection with traffic lights unless there is a "U-TURN PERMITTED" sign on the intersection. I think you should just cop the fine/points...

It's like saying "but everyone else was speeding as well" if you get docked for a speeding fine. I don't think it's plausible to get off on the ignorance excuse... if you use the roads you should know the rules.

Eddie.
Starfire
Regular

December 2004
Re: Chances of getting out of this if i appeal??? Sun, 06 November 2005 07:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No dice man. Just pay the fine.
xolent
Forums Junkie

October 2004
Re: Chances of getting out of this if i appeal??? Sun, 06 November 2005 07:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Zilch. None. Zero. Donut.
StuC
Forums Junkie

December 2003
Re: Chances of getting out of this if i appeal??? Sun, 06 November 2005 08:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What?i thought u could do it and couldnt only if there was a NO U-TURN sign.....woops. COuld it be different for each state?
domasik
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Chances of getting out of this if i appeal??? Sun, 06 November 2005 08:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
xolent wrote on Sun, 06 November 2005 18:40

Zilch. None. Zero. Donut.

Donuts mean nothing?

OH SHIT!
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Chances of getting out of this if i appeal??? Sun, 06 November 2005 08:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
StuC wrote on Sun, 06 November 2005 18:22

What?i thought u could do it and couldnt only if there was a NO U-TURN sign.....woops. COuld it be different for each state?

No. No u-turn allowed unless signed!
shinybluesteel
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002
Re: Chances of getting out of this if i appeal??? Sun, 06 November 2005 09:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
then why the hell do they have "NO U-TURN" signs?

glad this came up, as the letter from the government about htis particular rule didnt get to me.
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: Chances of getting out of this if i appeal??? Sun, 06 November 2005 09:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cool1 wrote on Sun, 06 November 2005 19:25

its different in melb every1 does it there
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Chances of getting out of this if i appeal??? Sun, 06 November 2005 09:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
shinybluesteel wrote on Sun, 06 November 2005 19:02

then why the hell do they have "NO U-TURN" signs?

That was for the old rule.
Alchemist
Forums Junkie

January 2003
Re: Chances of getting out of this if i appeal??? Sun, 06 November 2005 09:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It's different from state to state. In NSW unless there is a sign permitting you(very rare) to, they arn't allowed. You've got no argument I'm affraid, just cop it sweet and paiy the fine....
xolent
Forums Junkie

October 2004
Re: Chances of getting out of this if i appeal??? Sun, 06 November 2005 10:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just say the hand brake worked its way and tightend your rears and made you do a 180. Coincidentally, you were planning on going there anyways. And there was some ice on the road, and thanks to your car, you kicked out some shit that's been lying on the road. Everybody wins!
Megz
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: Chances of getting out of this if i appeal??? Sun, 06 November 2005 10:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OK thanks guys, i really have never heard that rule before.. Oh well, another harsh lesson i have to learn... But speeding is different, i wasn't endangering anyone...
Oh well take note from my expensive mistake...
Michael

[Updated on: Sun, 06 November 2005 10:21]

havabeer
Forums Junkie

July 2005
Re: Chances of getting out of this if i appeal??? Sun, 06 November 2005 10:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i know in QLD you can do U-turns at traffic lights. but they all do have signs on them. yeah i'd just cop the fine and the points. unles your a P-plater points shouldnt matter that much really.

$175 fine sounds a bit steep though. my 15>30k speeding fine was 200
toof
Forums Junkie

July 2003

Re: Chances of getting out of this if i appeal??? Sun, 06 November 2005 10:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah i got stung with the same thing about 2 years ago.. i had just picked up a chick and wanted to get home quick. was about 3am. i felt stooged casue the copper had to so something genuinly dangerous to catch me. he was behind me when i turned (miles behind) and had to come up to the ;lights at quite a rate of knots. then did teh same illegal uturn but this time with the lights red.. no lights or siren either. i guess i could have kicked up a stink over that more then likley it would have got him in the shit and me nowhere other then his shit list. so i never bothered..

but yeah cop it on the chin and pay the fine... wont effect insurance or anything unless you have a list of other ifnes as well.. since whenever ive needed to get insurance and told them they ahev pertty much laughed it off and didnt care.
TRD_07
Regular

September 2005
Re: Chances of getting out of this if i appeal??? Sun, 06 November 2005 13:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
a mate did a 3 point turn where it said NO U-TURN in boxhill. Was pulled over and told that was illegal. his answer was "i know you can't do a U-turn so i did a 3 point turn. There was no traffic and it wasn't close to an intersection or anything."

anyway his argument was that the no u-turn sign was an indication that a u-turn was impossible coz of the space to make the turn. However this doesn't apply to smaller cars. in actual fact it was "NO U-TURN FULL STOP!!!" so...

1. International license
2. pretending to be a tourist (PRETENDING as in ME NO SPEAK ENGLISH)
3. genuinely nice guy (THANK YOU SIR BYE BYE SIR)

and that's what got him off with a warning.
old_mr2
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: Chances of getting out of this if i appeal??? Sun, 06 November 2005 19:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
4agte wrote on Sun, 06 November 2005 20:06

Cool1 wrote on Sun, 06 November 2005 19:25

its different in melb every1 does it there

Its a hook turn moite. Fukn sydney poofters

Laughing Laughing

Taken from the movie WOGBOY or whatever. So funny....
Hi-Ace
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

January 2005

Re: Chances of getting out of this if i appeal??? Sun, 06 November 2005 20:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
This is from the RTA Road Rules.
So just pay your fine & cop the points.

40/ Making a U-turn at an intersection with traffic lights
A driver must not make a U-turn at an intersection with traffic
lights unless there is a U-turn permitted sign at the
intersection.
Offence provision.
Note Intersection and traffic lights are defined in the dictionary.

[Updated on: Sun, 06 November 2005 21:18]

4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: Chances of getting out of this if i appeal??? Sun, 06 November 2005 21:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
old_mr2 wrote on Mon, 07 November 2005 06:47

Its a hook turn moite. Fukn sydney poofters

Laughing Laughing

Taken from the movie WOGBOY or whatever. So funny....

hook turns are for trams and there is only about 7-10 of them in the city. You turn from the left hand lane after the red light.

I was referring to u-turns at traffic lights which everybody does in melbourne. Im not sure if its illegal and everyone does it so no1 cares or if its legal. But on many occasions i did u-turns infront of highway cops and never had any problems
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: Chances of getting out of this if i appeal??? Mon, 07 November 2005 00:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I went to court on the same issue in very very similar circumstances.

Given my clean record, I was given a section 10 "dismissed".

I did not disagree it was illegal in the court, but expressed my ignorance and confusion based on inconsistent application accross the various States of Aus as well as the fact that so many people do it!

I also demonstrated that it was very early in the morning, there was no traffic and in no way hazerdous etc.

Rob
mk1sc
Regular

March 2004
Re: Chances of getting out of this if i appeal??? Mon, 07 November 2005 01:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
coz if you have a green arrow to turn right into a street, most likely theres a green arrow for cars to turn left out of that street, and if you did a u turn = BOOM
ndgcpr
Forums Junkie

April 2005
Re: Chances of getting out of this if i appeal??? Mon, 07 November 2005 01:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
havabeer wrote on Sun, 06 November 2005 20:22

i know in QLD you can do U-turns at traffic lights.

The QLD rule is still the same if there is no sign then you can't do a U-turn.

I also would be weary using the "there was no traffic so i posed no threat" as if there was no traffic how did you get pulled over?
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: Chances of getting out of this if i appeal??? Mon, 07 November 2005 01:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mate, all I can tell you is what happenned to me.

I performed my manuver directly in front of a police car, it was bleeedingly obvious I had no idea it was illegal.

For me, one stationary police vehicle does not equate to "traffic", but I don't know what Megz particular circumstances were
rthy
Forums Junkie

January 2004
wtf is a jabber? a punch line?
Re: Chances of getting out of this if i appeal??? Mon, 07 November 2005 04:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Freak i see people do this all the time, and i see even more people just drive over islands (even if there was a intersection like 2-5meters away with no traffice Rolling Eyes ) broady power ARGH
Megz
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: Chances of getting out of this if i appeal??? Mon, 07 November 2005 06:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I am a green p plater... Quote "most likely theres a green arrow for cars to turn left out of that street, and if you did a u turn = BOOM" the lights don't have a green arrow if i had the green so it was safe for me...
I will have a think about it and prbly just cop it. but yes it think it is steep!! Seeing speeding fines are pretty much the same fine...
Michael
esk34
Regular

February 2005
Re: Chances of getting out of this if i appeal??? Mon, 07 November 2005 12:17 Go to previous message
When I went for my licence, it was OK to do a Uturn but you have to give way to traffic turning right. In Dandenong there is a sign saying Uturn must give way. More to the point there is another couple of Uturn only trafic lights, were the turn off lane can only do a Uturn, and I have never seen any signs. Plead ignorance, and suck up to the judge at the court, and you should get you points back on your licence. Actually you should be able to get it dissmised with a letter to the correct authourities.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:if i remove my boost controller .....
Next Topic:Ebay auction
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 02:15:01 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0054919719696045 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.