Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Gerald1
Regular

November 2005
ta/ra 22/23 conversions Sun, 06 November 2005 08:29 Go to next message
Hi,
you're all probably sick of threads like this but anyway. im planning to buy an ta22/23 or ra22/23 in the near future. I want to do an engine swap but not sure. Ive read alot of things, just thought id get some more opinions. I want an engine with a decent ammount of power but the car's going to be driven a fair ammount and with petrol prices as they are, want something that doesn't drain the tank too quickly. I'll have around $2000 to do the conversion. any opinions are greatly appreciated. ive been thinking, 3t gte or 1g gte or 4a gze. ive read the 3t gte isn't very fuel efficent but not sure if i want a 6 cyclinder in my celica. on a limited budget. thanks for any opinions.
  Send a private message to this user    
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: ta/ra 22/23 conversions Sun, 06 November 2005 08:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oh no ARGH
riceburna73
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: ta/ra 22/23 conversions Sun, 06 November 2005 09:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey mate welcome to the forum!

You have posted a pretty noob question that has been covered a fair few times before and which some of the best answers may be found via a search.Saying that ill try and kick off with some answers for you. First of all the engine options you have listed are all performance engines so most are fitted without much thought given to fuel economy Very Happy

The second problem you may face is the fact I dont know of any way you could possibly install any of those engines for 2K and that is based on doing ALL the work yourself.

My main piece of advice would to put the initial money even that extra 2k toward getting the best condition Celica off the bat. Straight rust free and with good creature comforts,rubbers,no leaks,and mechanically A1.From there enjoy the car and learn about it in its stock form.Down the track once you realise what you want out of it decide where to spend the extra coin.

Cheers

Nathan
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: ta/ra 22/23 conversions Sun, 06 November 2005 10:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yup, engine conversions are expensive... don't even consider this if you only have $2k to play with.
shelldrake
Regular

May 2005
Re: ta/ra 22/23 conversions Sun, 06 November 2005 10:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
solid advice! You're better off buying a neat car to beigin with in almost all cases, then start your mod work later down the track. While I'm here, Nathan - PM me about what's going on with the flutes, dragons and lenses.
riceburna73
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: ta/ra 22/23 conversions Sun, 06 November 2005 11:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sorry sheldrake been too busy spendin ur 190 on pinacaladas in Tijuana Very Happy ill PM you now mate..
brett_celicacoupe
Forums Junkie

February 2004
Re: ta/ra 22/23 conversions Sun, 06 November 2005 12:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Norbie wrote on Sun, 06 November 2005 21:53

Yup, engine conversions are expensive... don't even consider this if you only have $2k to play with.

$2k is really pushing it. i managed to get away with my 1ggte conversion costing around 2500$.
thats including engine, w58 gbox, ecu, loom, 600x300x76 fmic, engineering costs and rego difference (4 -> 6cyl).

i basically did everything though, from the exhaust to wiring to even moving outlets on the radiator.

it can be done, just depends on what resources you have at your disposal!
o_man_ra23
Regular

June 2003
icon10.gif  Re: ta/ra 22/23 conversions Sun, 06 November 2005 23:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah, 2K is really tight. Im looking at throwing in a 3TGTE to a mate's TA22... and the motor alone is looking toward the 2K+ mark without freight, intercooler mounting, exhaust etc. definitely find something in slick nick first, and start spending on brake and suspension upgrades before the engine, because you will need them to get it past an engineering inspection.

Cheers, Owen
blackRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: ta/ra 22/23 conversions Mon, 07 November 2005 00:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I bought my first celica ra28 for $1800
then after spending around $700 initally on new suspension and extractors for the 18Rcrap i enjoyed the car for 12 months as is slowly tweaking things,
then i spent $550 on an 18R-geu with practically everything needed to run it, $250 on engine reco parts like timing chains.. and about $500 on extra's like K&N filters, new injector rubbers, 1 new injector, new premium battery, 2nd hand old crown EFI coil, and $750 on new clutch/new pacemakers/exhaust system.

So all up on the engine swap i spent around 2k and got a decent power gain for about the same economy or better than the 18R-C, and EFI reliability in a 1977 model. Did i mention no police ever frowned on the car either? little to no rego/engineering hassles cos its the same block as standard.
I was stoked, although i did spend a fair bit more $$ on other parts during the conversion to improve the overall new feel of the car.
admitadly it wasnt the quickest car off the line, more of a hill climber/downhill car, built to corner in style.

but now i am building a 3t-gte ta23 for something different, cos i have caught the boost bug!.. Laughing

[Updated on: Mon, 07 November 2005 00:54]

Fattony
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: ta/ra 22/23 conversions Mon, 07 November 2005 08:36 Go to previous message
I should think that if you did all the work yourself you could scrape in a 1g conversion with it. Stock cooler turbos ecu, and that would include getting sixworks to mod a loom. Just shop around for a motor box loom ecu cooler airbox ect, from memory a mate picked it all up at a wrecker for like 1200 odd dollars
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:K-50 Gearboxes
Next Topic:lsd/non 4agze drive shafts question
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun May 5 18:45:46 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0055029392242432 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.