Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Are my 4age cams in their correct firing positions ??

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
GOLDEN86
Occasional Poster

June 2005
icon5.gif  Are my 4age cams in their correct firing positions ?? Sun, 06 November 2005 11:02 Go to next message
Heys guys, I was wondering if my cams in their correct firing positions,made sure all cams lined up,just might have turned one of the cams, just not sure ??
http://www.mikenash.webstrikesolutions.com/1-.jpg
http://www.mikenash.webstrikesolutions.com/2-.jpg
http://www.mikenash.webstrikesolutions.com/3-.jpg

[Updated on: Sun, 06 November 2005 11:04]

Send a private message to this user    
Phrostbyte
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

April 2004
Re: Are my 4age cams in their correct firing positions ?? Sun, 06 November 2005 11:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If all the valves are shut and the crank lines up with 0, you should be ok. Need a second opinion on that one though, as you would have to get it on the power stroke and not the intake stroke... (Unsure whether the ECU calculates that? If so, ignore what I just said about the strokes)

Kev.
shinybluesteel
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002
Re: Are my 4age cams in their correct firing positions ?? Sun, 06 November 2005 11:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Line them up as per the manual,

or take more blurry photos with no way of referencing position if you like Very Happy
GOLDEN86
Occasional Poster

June 2005
Re: Are my 4age cams in their correct firing positions ?? Sun, 06 November 2005 13:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You can see where they are, if ya look hard enuff Razz but i will see if i can get better shots
Scorpion
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: Are my 4age cams in their correct firing positions ?? Sun, 06 November 2005 13:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
See if you can get a pic of the cam gears with the black backing plate behind them. There should be two raised indentations on the plate and they should line up with holes on the front of the cam gears when the engine is at TDC - ie. your crank pulley timing mark is on '0'.
LAA.80E
Regular

April 2005
Re: Are my 4age cams in their correct firing positions ?? Sun, 06 November 2005 13:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
may sound shonky, but to make sure your on top dead centre, unscrew plug no.1 and slowly insert a thin but long object, and no im not necessarily saying a screwdriver(something like a long cable tie or something), in the cylinder and then turn your crank over with you ratchet (make sure your ignition is off).. you will notice wen top dead centre is OK wen the object you inserted pauses for a "milli second" before it starts going back down, another thing is make sure your rotor button is on NO:1
GOLDEN86
Occasional Poster

June 2005
Re: Are my 4age cams in their correct firing positions ?? Sun, 06 November 2005 14:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My cams line up with dots top and bottom, it should be lined up no problem then shouldnt it ?
Even if you fucked around with the cams and turned em, my mate thinks their still even in wrong firing position even tho cams line up with their dots etc Rolling Eyes
Phrostbyte
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

April 2004
Re: Are my 4age cams in their correct firing positions ?? Sun, 06 November 2005 21:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tech Docs - 4AGE Book - Seek, and you shall find
TA22-3SGTE
Regular

May 2002
Re: Are my 4age cams in their correct firing positions ?? Sun, 06 November 2005 21:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If the motor is on TDC in the pics the cam timing looks fairly close .

Trevor
beige_bandit
Regular

September 2005
Re: Are my 4age cams in their correct firing positions ?? Sun, 06 November 2005 21:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Your cams are in correct position for compression on cyl.no 1

But cant see the crank so Confused
GOLDEN86
Occasional Poster

June 2005
Re: Are my 4age cams in their correct firing positions ?? Mon, 07 November 2005 01:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I checked with manual, seems like their in their correct position by below picture, not double sure tho,
http://www.mikenash.webstrikesolutions.com/clear.jpg
GOLDEN86
Occasional Poster

June 2005
Re: Are my 4age cams in their correct firing positions ?? Mon, 07 November 2005 06:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
burp
Scorpion
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: Are my 4age cams in their correct firing positions ?? Mon, 07 November 2005 09:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You ask for help but don't do what a number of people have suggested.

If you love your cams the way they are ...

(1) Check the crank and see if the crank pulley timing notch is lined up with 0 on the timing marks.

(2) Take the cap off the dizzy and see if the rotor is pointing to Cyl No.2 spark plug lead in the cap.

(3) I have no idea what "My cams line up with dots top and bottom" is supposed to mean but if you have dots at the top of the cam wheels lining up with indentations on the backing plate it would be nice.

If none of the above then it is likely that your cams are lovely but they are 180 degress off where they are supposed to be. So you'll have to rotate the engine 180 degrees or remove the distributor and rotate the rotor 180 degrees.

Can you get a front on picture of the cam wheels and if possible a picture of the timing marks next to the crankshaft pulley ?
Also take a pic from the top with the cams where they are but with the distributor cap removed. (And leave the rotor on the distributor)

[Updated on: Mon, 07 November 2005 09:53]

beige_bandit
Regular

September 2005
Re: Are my 4age cams in their correct firing positions ?? Mon, 07 November 2005 21:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Scorpion wrote on Mon, 07 November 2005 20:52

You

(2) Take the cap off the dizzy and see if the rotor is pointing to Cyl No.2 spark plug lead in the cap.

Rotor button needs to point to No.1 spark plug lead.
Cylinder No.1 on compression means cylinder No.1 needs to
fire Shocked
Phrostbyte
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

April 2004
Re: Are my 4age cams in their correct firing positions ?? Tue, 08 November 2005 00:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lol yeah was about to say that, at TDC, cylinder 1 fires... But yeah do exactly as Scorpion said otherwise and you should be ok.

Kev.
Scorpion
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: Are my 4age cams in their correct firing positions ?? Tue, 08 November 2005 09:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Embarassed

yeah - my bad.
Don't know what made me think of No 2.
Gives me the No 2's just thinking about it.
Very Happy
Phrostbyte
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

April 2004
Re: Are my 4age cams in their correct firing positions ?? Tue, 08 November 2005 11:12 Go to previous message
lol Laughing
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:How to get oxidised Webers looking new again?
Next Topic:TA22 light/wiper controls to TA-RA23 stalk control
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 03:17:46 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0045540332794189 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.