Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » 2jz-ge > Turbo (or as the American's say NA-T)

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
1j180
Occasional Poster

April 2004
2jz-ge > Turbo (or as the American's say NA-T) Mon, 07 November 2005 05:54 Go to next message
Hey,

Is the addition of a turbo system to a 2jz-ge really a worthwhile exercise? Or after the additional cost of A) the turbo system and B) a headgasket to reduce compression negate any real benefit compared to simply purchasing a 'gte' from the start?

I've noticed 2jz-ge's on sale from $600-900 and was curious if the aformentioned excersie was practical, financially thinking. Obviously if one was chasing 'mega' horespower the gte would be the superior base, but what if a more 'moderate' target of 350rwhp?

Also is it true the 'ge' and 'gte's come with forged pistons from the factory?

Cheers! Smile

[Updated on: Mon, 07 November 2005 05:57]

Send a private message to this user    
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: 2jz-ge > Turbo (or as the American's say NA-T) Mon, 07 November 2005 06:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
high compression low boost application!

I say go for it, if people have done it on the scale of the 1UZ without changing internals then why cant it be done on a 2J?

You could probably have something making around 240-250rwkw on a budget of around $4000 too, factor in about $220 for a headgasket, $1200-$1500 for cheap ebay turbo kit, $400 for injectors, $500 for emanage, $300 for tune, $400 for IC and plumbing and around $600-900 for a motor.

thats just over $4K for something that would be fairly powerful...and if you do cook the bottom end maybe you could throw in a 1JZ bottom end, already decomped with forged pistons...

just a few ideas...
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 2jz-ge > Turbo (or as the American's say NA-T) Mon, 07 November 2005 06:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Why would you bother spending money on another head gasket when you already have a factory metal one?
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: 2jz-ge > Turbo (or as the American's say NA-T) Mon, 07 November 2005 06:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thicker item

drop compression...make it a little safer
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 2jz-ge > Turbo (or as the American's say NA-T) Mon, 07 November 2005 06:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thicker head gasket is the dodgiest way ever of lowering compression. Just tune the thing right in the first place and it'll be fine.
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: 2jz-ge > Turbo (or as the American's say NA-T) Mon, 07 November 2005 06:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
and turboing an NA motor isnt remotely dodgey Rolling Eyes
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 2jz-ge > Turbo (or as the American's say NA-T) Mon, 07 November 2005 06:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No, not at all if done correctly. How many factory setups are high-compression low-boost now?
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: 2jz-ge > Turbo (or as the American's say NA-T) Mon, 07 November 2005 06:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
fair point nath...

the thicker HG wouldnt drop the compression much anyway, would just make the setup a little safer i guess, and allow higher boost down the track if necessary...
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 2jz-ge > Turbo (or as the American's say NA-T) Mon, 07 November 2005 06:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'd just rather spend the extra money on tuning, THAT's the real safety feature, and as you say, the head gasket shouldn't lower it much Wink
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 2jz-ge > Turbo (or as the American's say NA-T) Mon, 07 November 2005 08:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Spend a little extra and slip in some GTE pistons?
CrAiGzEE
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 2jz-ge > Turbo (or as the American's say NA-T) Mon, 07 November 2005 08:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
or ya could use 3 standard ones Laughing
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 2jz-ge > Turbo (or as the American's say NA-T) Mon, 07 November 2005 09:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MR 1JZ wrote on Mon, 07 November 2005 17:24

thicker item

AAGGHHHH!!!! worst idea evah!!! why must this idea of thick head gaskets still perpetuate on the net!!!

it drives me nuts

its such an incredibly stoopid way to drop CR to "reduce detonation"... typical yanks. all the gear and no idea

[Updated on: Mon, 07 November 2005 09:28]

Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 2jz-ge > Turbo (or as the American's say NA-T) Mon, 07 November 2005 12:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What he said. In many cases a thicker headgasket can make detonation worse, especially on modern engines like the 2JZ which make use of large quench areas.

NA-T can work very well IF you're sensible. You can't run massive amounts of boost, but with a medium sized turbo you'll get awesome response and very good power. Remember the GE is just as strong as the GTE, despite what some people will tell you.
LeZZa
Regular

September 2004
Re: 2jz-ge > Turbo (or as the American's say NA-T) Mon, 07 November 2005 15:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ed_ma61 wrote on Mon, 07 November 2005 19:57

MR 1JZ wrote on Mon, 07 November 2005 17:24

thicker item

AAGGHHHH!!!! worst idea evah!!! why must this idea of thick head gaskets still perpetuate on the net!!!

it drives me nuts

its such an incredibly stoopid way to drop CR to "reduce detonation"... typical yanks. all the gear and no idea

If you're going to bag the idea, at least explain why
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 2jz-ge > Turbo (or as the American's say NA-T) Mon, 07 November 2005 21:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
LeZZa wrote on Mon, 07 November 2005 23:35

If you're going to ask a question, at least read the rest of the thread. Read Norbie's post, that explains it.
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 2jz-ge > Turbo (or as the American's say NA-T) Mon, 07 November 2005 22:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
LeZZa wrote on Tue, 08 November 2005 02:35

been there, done that - do a search
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

icon11.gif  Devil's advocate post Mon, 07 November 2005 23:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
That said, it seems to work for them. They're getting plenty big power using thicker head gaskets to decompress the motor.
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 2jz-ge > Turbo (or as the American's say NA-T) Mon, 07 November 2005 23:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yup and pushrod v8s seem to work too
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 2jz-ge > Turbo (or as the American's say NA-T) Mon, 07 November 2005 23:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Don't laugh.

I'm about a month away from starting a 429 into XT Falcon ute. Hopefully I can convince him ITBs are the future rather than some Holley Bucket'o'fuel.
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 2jz-ge > Turbo (or as the American's say NA-T) Mon, 07 November 2005 23:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Laughing and im about 3/12 away from helping the neurosurg reg drop a 454 in his SWB patrol

but anyway - regardless of what monkey made what work, theres no excuse for ignoring basic engine physics if you have enough info and support to lead you to the right (or better) conclusion.
Alchemist
Forums Junkie

January 2003
Re: 2jz-ge > Turbo (or as the American's say NA-T) Tue, 08 November 2005 10:54 Go to previous message
Goto www.supraforums.com.au this topic has been covered to death, prices, kits etc....
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:KP61 suspension mod
Next Topic:4age transplant into Vitz
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 20:54:04 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0055668354034424 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.