Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
KOFFEE-BLACK
Forums Junkie

March 2003
1989 Celica SX Mon, 07 November 2005 13:17 Go to next message
Hey guys, just bought one of these, its in ood condition (155,000kms) but wanted to ask a few questions.

What model is it? Its the first of this shape:
http://www.wagen.de/bilder/2be36bfac12f58a70a28851056a085d2.jpg
ST184?

Also, I didnt do much research before I got it, but there are a couple of things wrong:

Electric Mirros: They work fine, but passenger only moves left to right, not up and down.

Power Windows: They also all work fine, except controlling the passengers from the driver side, you can put it down, but not up.

Aircon: needs a regass.

Some rattle in the rear hatch??

Are these common issues?

Does anyone have any more input on the problems these cars can get? I tried posting on ozcelica, but the site doesnt seem to work...

Send a private message to this user    
piggy
Regular

March 2005
Re: 1989 Celica SX Tue, 08 November 2005 20:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
'Power Windows: They also all work fine, except controlling the passengers from the driver side, you can put it down, but not up'

yeah my 162 has the same problem and i don't know how to fix it Crying or Very Sad

as for what car im sure its a st184
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: 1989 Celica SX Wed, 09 November 2005 01:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
so the windows don't work from EITHER side of the car?? like either controller?
jonchai
Regular

June 2004
Re: 1989 Celica SX Wed, 09 November 2005 01:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I had the electric window problem aswell. take out the controller from the door panel, take it apart and clean it. after years of abuse and misuse, gunk builds up and there is no longer any contact between the points. its an easy fix!!
KOFFEE-BLACK
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: 1989 Celica SX Wed, 09 November 2005 01:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sweet!! Thansk for that! So yours works now??

RobST162: Its just from the DRIVERS side, controlling the PASSENGER window UP
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: 1989 Celica SX Wed, 09 November 2005 01:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yep! MA70s etc get this same issue

as they do with the rear hatch rattle.. usually it's in the boot locking mechanism.. a bit of oil/wd40 usually makes it go away
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: 1989 Celica SX Wed, 09 November 2005 01:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
KOFFEE-BLACK wrote on Wed, 09 November 2005 12:48

Sweet!! Thansk for that! So yours works now??

RobST162: Its just from the DRIVERS side, controlling the PASSENGER window UP

aha yeah, well since that's the case I was gonna say what jonchai did Wink
jonchai
Regular

June 2004
Re: 1989 Celica SX Wed, 09 November 2005 02:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Smile yeah.....when the panel was in....(its off as part of weight saving) the windows were working excellent.
Rattles are part and parcel of owning a Celica. As once said, My car has more rattles than the toys department at Target.
pr*duct
Regular

April 2005
Re: 1989 Celica SX Wed, 09 November 2005 03:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

Rattles are part and parcel of owning a Celica

True that.
When my 162 is cold and idling at like 500rpm, I don't think I could count the different rattles on two hands.
SilverGhost
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: 1989 Celica SX Wed, 09 November 2005 07:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
pr*duct wrote on Wed, 09 November 2005 14:30

Quote:

Rattles are part and parcel of owning a Celica

True that.
When my 162 is cold and idling at like 500rpm, I don't think I could count the different rattles on two hands.

I thought it was just me hehehe....my 185 has a fair few rattles, steering column shroud, boot trim etc... but i will eventually track them down and eliminate them Evil or Very Mad
KOFFEE-BLACK
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: 1989 Celica SX Thu, 10 November 2005 10:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I think the rattles are caused by lack of screws, there are plenty missing from the trims, fixed most of it today, the rear, turned out to be the auto antenna, it was loose (And wasnt retracting either), Fixed this, this fixed teh loud banging in the back hehe.

Took out the power windows controller on the driver side, used some electrical cleaning spray, tried it out, and voila! Perfect, windows work! soon as i put the Door trims etc on, tried it again, went up, then died half way Sad. Id say the motor is fcuked.
SilverGhost
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: 1989 Celica SX Thu, 10 November 2005 10:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Admit it dude, you just want a ST18x cause of my blinding performance on the weekend lol

I was slowed by lack of aerodynamics cause my headlights were up Laughing Laughing
KOFFEE-BLACK
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: 1989 Celica SX Thu, 10 November 2005 10:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
SilverGhost wrote on Thu, 10 November 2005 21:29

Admit it dude, you just want a ST18x cause of my blinding performance on the weekend lol

I was slowed by lack of aerodynamics cause my headlights were up Laughing Laughing

hahaha Ohh yeah, wtf happened?/ Were you even racing? hahahaha
SilverGhost
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: 1989 Celica SX Fri, 11 November 2005 01:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
to be honest I wasnt sure if you were going to cause u had your missus in the car, but the main thing was i didnt prepare my start properly either Embarassed

I wouldnt mind having a proper run with u one day at WSID were its safer and stuff Evil or Very Mad

you were nice and quick off the line...but I closed the gap pretty quick even if you started easing off...
KOFFEE-BLACK
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: 1989 Celica SX Fri, 11 November 2005 01:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cool, Im planning to go in 2 weeks? You down? Just tell Doug Halley to fcuk off!
SilverGhost
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: 1989 Celica SX Fri, 11 November 2005 01:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah thats the real trick, gettin time off work to make it there... Mad

Ill see about taking a wedensday off when we can both go, ill let u know about wedensday after next...
alliance_22
Forums Junkie

October 2004

Re: 1989 Celica SX Mon, 05 December 2005 04:05 Go to previous message
Thats a ST184SX Celica, they came standard 5SFE Engines that toyota claimed 100kw or so, they are 1300kg and they are very fuel efficient. These celicas are not the first of its shape, in fact the first ones of the similar shape came from 1985. The model is ST162, a bit smaller and more boxy than the ST184. But the SX models did come with the 3SGE engines thats 103kw that the MR2s uses later on. The ST models came with 3SFE, same as the camery at 80 - 85 or so KW.

Cheers
Chopin
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:HELP BIG PROBLEM
Next Topic:HID conversion kit
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 11:15:52 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0058300495147705 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.