Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
fearlesss
Regular

November 2004
jaycar EBC Tue, 08 November 2005 00:30 Go to next message
Hey, has anyone here tried the jaycar EBC ?
Weve had a big discussion on it on the starlet forum and some say na some say yay. Were looking at getting a group buy of 5 for around 90 bucks each. And thats damn cheap for a EBC

Send a private message to this user    
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: jaycar EBC Tue, 08 November 2005 00:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It works well, takes a little bit of time to set up. Mine fried for reasons unknown, but worked fine beforehand. I recommend setting it up back to front though, if the controller fails for whatever reason, you revert to factory boost control.

What is included in that $90? The hand controller, a cable and the boost controller itself? The RRP on the controller is over $50 when you purchase multiples, and the controller over $70. I find that $90 hard to believe, and ultimately that's what you need to be able to use it....well, that and a solenoid.

Speaking of solenoids, which one are you planning on using? I was using an Autronic one which is the same one you see in quite a few EBC setups. That alone cost over $100 trade.

Starts to add up real quick. Food for thought dude.
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: jaycar EBC Tue, 08 November 2005 00:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JCMF speaks some truth.

I've used them, and have only had isolated issues pertaining more to construction faults than a "bad EBC" label.

The thing i like about the IEBC is the complete control you have over the solenoid, meaning that you can program your solenoid to do whatever you want whenever you want it to.
This means you can completely smooth out boost spikes whilst bringing on boost as fast as possible, maintain a higher boost level which would normally start tapering off at high RPM, etc etc.

And there are two completely independant boost maps too.

It's not the kind of product i would recommend to Habib and his cousin who want a blue screen and to press 25-hektik-psi's and not understand how it works. You need to have a little understanding of how boost controlling works.
That said though, the instructions do cover it pretty well.

As for the pricing of these kits.... it all depends on if you have a wholesale account or not.

But JCMF is right - a good solenoid will cost around $100-150 alone. I use the Autronic "MAC-VALVE".... but be careful because there are about eleventy billion different models that look the same, and the ones SAS supply have been carefully selected and thoroughly tested to be the most suitable.
fearlesss
Regular

November 2004
Re: jaycar EBC Tue, 08 November 2005 00:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah i just searched thru the old posts and theres mixed optinions on here as well.

For 90 bucks u get the hand controller and the IEBC, theres a guy in NZ who says he can get them for that cheap over there !
$84 aus all up, so add 7 bucks for postage. Of course will need to buy the cable n solenoid, IM planning on just getting a 180sx one from the wreckers as a memeber allready has one of these on his starlet. Unless anyone can recomoned a cheap solenoid.

It does add up but still its the cheapest EBC ive ever seen. wether there is a reason for that im not sure. i guess will find out
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: jaycar EBC Tue, 08 November 2005 01:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Indeed, as Witzl suggested, you have complete control of the map itself. I had intentions of a map for low boost with the solenoid mimicking factory boost and response, and one that brought boost on ASAP and held it to redline.

My Gizzmo performs these functions also, but it cost $400. My Jaycar one was a lot cheaper, including the solenoid. That said, the Gizzmo is as Witzl describes set and forget. Within 2 minutes I could have my Gizzmo performing as well as my Jaycar after the better part of half an hour.
fearlesss
Regular

November 2004
Re: jaycar EBC Tue, 08 November 2005 01:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well im all into learning stuff so i wana go with this and see how it works out, As long as i dont root my engine by putting 30psi thru it accidentaly as its only been in the car for 5,000ks
fearlesss
Regular

November 2004
Re: jaycar EBC Tue, 08 November 2005 04:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
we now have a new supplier who can get them for $83 if we can get 3 kits and then even cheaper again for 5!!
one weeks postage though.
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: jaycar EBC Tue, 08 November 2005 05:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Witzl works for Jaycar Josh. Probably knows how much they are Razz

That is cheap though. Personally I can't be bothered for my car as when I hit boost I want it to be big boost. No point going half hearted Smile But if you want all the fancy stuff, EBC's are definitely the go.
fearlesss
Regular

November 2004
Re: jaycar EBC Tue, 08 November 2005 07:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the witzl seems to be the know all and end all of jaycar ! haha
i remember reading his post on twincam about these months ago.

OH but thats the reason why im getting one of these ! , I want to hit 14psi straight away and keep it all thru the rev rang. Ive heard that these let u do that ?
Hunty
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: jaycar EBC Tue, 08 November 2005 09:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
as long as ur turbo/exhaust can flow 14psi at redline Wink

ive got one of these on the mr2 and its great, i had a boost spiking problem where i would hit my set boost say 10psi and then after about 4000rpm it would start to rise all the way to about 15psi, with the jaycar ebc i could dial that out and hold a steady 10 or 12 psi Smile plus having the second "low" boost map for when its either wet or ur lettin sumone else drive is very nice

THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: jaycar EBC Tue, 08 November 2005 09:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hunty - glad to hear the kit worked for you champ! Smiley =

Yes i work for Jaycar (well Electus really)... and for those prices you are basically buying them through a wholesale customer of ours who is onselling them.

yes these allow you to bring the boost up as fast as the turbo physically can, and tune the control solenoid so that you hold that boost flat throughout the rev range...
fearlesss
Regular

November 2004
Re: jaycar EBC Tue, 08 November 2005 22:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hunty, ive got a 3inch n hi flow cat n dump pipe, jam racing actuator n 14psi is the ct9s limit. so i should be able to flow

I cant wait Smile ordering them on friday
Got 1 weeks postage time then as soon as we get them the next wknd will be installing them and then on the 30th going to the strip to see how much time this will take off my 14.7 Smile

ill let yous know how they go,

[Updated on: Tue, 08 November 2005 22:53]

fearlesss
Regular

November 2004
Re: jaycar EBC Thu, 24 November 2005 03:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
just an update these finaly arived on wednesday so will be making and installing them on sunday Smile
just looking for a second hand solenoid at the moment
CrAiGzEE
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: jaycar EBC Thu, 24 November 2005 10:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
make sure you test the solenoid befor you use it
fearlesss
Regular

November 2004
Re: jaycar EBC Thu, 24 November 2005 22:43 Go to previous message
were testing the stock one at the moment (when i saw we i mean the other guy thats knows more)
how do u test them ? is it something that breaks easliy or gets worse over time ? cause the plan was to go to wreckers today and pick up one from a 180sx or skyline
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:info on a 4a-ge into a TA22
Next Topic:7MGTE HKS Cast Manifold - T3 or T4 flange?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 18:07:56 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0044679641723633 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.