Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » General Car Talk » turbo timers?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
De@Noo
Regular

June 2004
turbo timers? Tue, 08 November 2005 06:49 Go to next message
Hey guys just put a deposit on a GZ20 soarer..and was just wondering if i need to get a turbo timer?.. like am i fine just to turn the car off straight away or can i just leave it running for a few minutes...was just wondering if there is any point of me getting one
Cheers Deano
  Send a private message to this user    
cycleofabuse
Regular

June 2004
Re: turbo timers? Tue, 08 November 2005 07:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nope.
Just don't hit boost for the last few minutes of driving and you'll be fine.
They're a waste of money as far as i'm concerned.
Cheers.
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: turbo timers? Tue, 08 November 2005 08:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the cheapest turbo timer you can get is:

you.. just sit in the car for 30 sec to a minute and it should be fine... but slow driving in the last 5 minutes is always best....

you might want to check if it voids your insurance also... oh.. and if they are legal in your state...
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: turbo timers? Tue, 08 November 2005 08:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yep! I just drive no boost for the last few minutes home, then idle for 1 minute (or until a good song on the cd finishes)
TRD_07
Regular

September 2005
Re: turbo timers? Tue, 08 November 2005 10:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
on our red sprinter that came with the turbo timer

every time you flash the high-beam, the turbo timer is triggered.

Sometimes when you turn the key the car actually stays on. Other times the engine dies anyway.

dodgy wiring, not soldered in, just shoved onto the ignition harnesses and wires. Some more it's connected to the ECU and handbrake, has 101 functions but doesn't "time" the turbo properly. I've seen worse cases of turbo timer failing and the engine never turns off. (need to rip the whole thing apart there and then)

i ripped it off and donated it to a mate's garage. some more it's on a GZE motor so WTF was it there in the first place. I don't see anyone in the Fast and the Furious using a turbo timer. After the drive enjoy the aircon and CD for a minute b4 turning off. That's why drive a turbo car, it gets u there that much quicker to afford you the time to wait for a bit.

De@Noo
Regular

June 2004
Re: turbo timers? Tue, 08 November 2005 10:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
alright thanks guys..wont waste my money now Wink
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: turbo timers? Tue, 08 November 2005 11:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
TRD_07 wrote on Tue, 08 November 2005 21:09

I don't see anyone in the Fast and the Furious using a turbo timer.

please don't tell me F&F is now considered a viable source of information
TRD_07
Regular

September 2005
Re: turbo timers? Tue, 08 November 2005 11:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
draven wrote on Tue, 08 November 2005 22:00

TRD_07 wrote on Tue, 08 November 2005 21:09

I don't see anyone in the Fast and the Furious using a turbo timer.

please don't tell me F&F is now considered a viable source of information

you're right.. it's not

my bad for giving example from it...

oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: turbo timers? Tue, 08 November 2005 12:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
turbo timer resluts in DaNgEr to TeH MaNiFoLd!!!!

or was that NaWz????
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: turbo timers? Tue, 08 November 2005 12:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I thought it was danger to the passenger floor pan Confused
Yian
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

August 2004
Re: turbo timers? Tue, 08 November 2005 13:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
draven wrote on Tue, 08 November 2005 19:46

yep! I just drive no boost for the last few minutes home, then idle for 1 minute (or until a good song on the cd finishes)

Good in theory. Bad when you are hanging to do the biggest piss ever, stop the car, run into a shopping centre, relieve yourself and come out to a sight of coolant everywhere coming from under your car Confused (I was driving it hard right till the moment I parked to run to the dunny)
dimmy77_03
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: turbo timers? Tue, 08 November 2005 13:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You promised me pics Dean, gimme gimme gimme Very Happy
Mookie
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: turbo timers? Wed, 09 November 2005 00:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i'd say buy one.
i use mine in the intrests of extending the life of the car.

there is always the option of driving slowing for the last 5 mins of your trip.

But i live down a dirt rd so i come into my driveway sideways on boost.

with a turbo timer it takes a while to get used to locking your doors and walking away from your car with the motor running.
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: turbo timers? Wed, 09 November 2005 02:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
it may be alright in tassie...

but in sydney, you leave a car running for 1 minute.. someone smashes your window, puts handbrake halfway down, bumps up timer.. and away they go Sad

there's a reason insurance companies don't like them...

but sitting in your car is free Razz

Merudo
Forums Junkie

February 2005

Re: turbo timers? Wed, 09 November 2005 02:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
heh...

my soarer's steering lock would still come on, so the people would be proper fucked anyway Smile
coFF33
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: turbo timers? Wed, 09 November 2005 03:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
u can get a $70 turbo timer from repco here in Perth , i was considering getting one , coz when i get home from work i just wanna RACE home and get out and have a shower , fuck sitting there for a min..

then sometimes i do what someone said earlyer and listen to the track thats playing finish , then get out , which usually takes about a min .

so im both for and against getting one

[Updated on: Wed, 09 November 2005 03:57]

dimmy77_03
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: turbo timers? Wed, 09 November 2005 04:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
After reading all this, i reckon it'd be a waste of money. Just drive sedately Razz and dont boost for the last 1-2km home...
ke382TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: turbo timers? Wed, 09 November 2005 04:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Turbo timers are fitted so you can boost at 110km/h down your street all the way to the top of your driveway and piss off all your neighbours with sik flutterz and zorst noise.

You also look fkn cool as you walk inside while you car is still running.

I am kidding Razz As mentioned 28 time already they are a waste of money.
ndgcpr
Forums Junkie

April 2005
Re: turbo timers? Wed, 09 November 2005 05:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i got mine for free and you can make then yourself for very cheap, or i can make it for you and send it down for dead cheap, (let me know if you want this). i had the circuit diag somewhere, it is basically a few capacitors and a relay. ask chuckster for the diagram.

I think they are worth while, just to be one the safe side. the are always legal if you stay in the car. nothing worst then when you just happen to "forget" or something and you kill your turbos.

or even if the car is stolen, in the chance that you do get it back i highly doubt that they will let the turbos cool properly before turning the car off. its not about looking cool cause you can walk away from the car or anything its about prolonging the quality of the car. I wouldn't spend more the 10 - 20 bucks on one, but i would get one. just my 2c
ke382TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: turbo timers? Wed, 09 November 2005 05:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

nothing worst then when you just happen to "forget" or something and you kill your turbos.

I think there is a myth that turbos are far more fragile than they actually are being perpetuated on the internet Rolling Eyes .

Quote:

or even if the car is stolen, in the chance that you do get it back i highly doubt that they will let the turbos cool properly before turning the car off.

That would be the least of my worries Laughing

Oh noes please let the turbo cool properly after wrapping shit out of my car Laughing
MR. 2
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: turbo timers? Wed, 09 November 2005 05:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
LOL i have one mounted in the car and i have had it for about 3 years and its not hooked up and never has been LOL thats what i seem to think of a turbo timer.
ndgcpr
Forums Junkie

April 2005
Re: turbo timers? Wed, 09 November 2005 05:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ke382TG wrote on Wed, 09 November 2005 15:12

Quote:

nothing worst then when you just happen to "forget" or something and you kill your turbos.

I think there is a myth that turbos are far more fragile than they actually are being perpetuated on the internet Rolling Eyes .

Quote:

or even if the car is stolen, in the chance that you do get it back i highly doubt that they will let the turbos cool properly before turning the car off.

That would be the least of my worries Laughing

Oh noes please let the turbo cool properly after wrapping shit out of my car Laughing

That was my 2c take it or leave it. I am a paranoid fella and thus am going to cool my turbos properly, there is no point in gradually over time or whatever killing your turbo's because someone said that they are "stronger then you think", is that someone going to then buy me new ones, i thought not.

And my mates car was stolen and recovered only to need a full motor overhaul due to them shutting down the car after thrashing it and dumping it, the car itself was fine.

So you can kill your turbos if you want but i like mine and wish to keep them in working order....
ke382TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: turbo timers? Wed, 09 November 2005 06:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

So you can kill your turbos if you want but i like mine and wish to keep them in working order....

I shut down my car in the correct manner Smile I just don't need a timer to do it Wink I have no skanks in my street or hektik mofos I need to boost past so I usually just cruise like a normal person on the last bit of the way home, roll into drive way, open garage door, drive in, park car and leave the turbo with a happy little smile on his face .

So many people worry about shut down and yet they overboost the hell out of their turbo anyway or trash other components with disregard that have a higher $$$ value than the turbo Laughing .

I could care less if people use them or not Very Happy As you stated we both just gave our 2c Wink

Quote:

And my mates car was stolen and recovered only to need a full motor overhaul due to them shutting down the car after thrashing it and dumping it

I would imagine it was from the thrashing rather than the hot shut down.
De@Noo
Regular

June 2004
Re: turbo timers? Wed, 09 November 2005 06:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dimmy77_03 wrote on Wed, 09 November 2005 00:30

You promised me pics Dean, gimme gimme gimme Very Happy

pics will be up soon mate! Smile
SilverGhost
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: turbo timers? Wed, 09 November 2005 07:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
A lot of valid points have been raised about them being used or not used.

In my case a turbo timer is a feature of the alarm system I have installed, and as such i figured they were fairly common. When i pull up I just have a button under the steering column, If i want it to idle for a while I just press the button, take the key out and it idles for 2 minutes. I can leave the car, lock it with the alarms buzzer and do whatever and it will be secure...

If the worst happens and someone breaks into my car they will have a lot less than 2 minutes to do anything, in addition removing the key locks the steering column aswell so they cant get too far.

I can also turn it off earlier at will by using the buzzer. Maybe an alarm that has this feature would be worth considering.

my $0.02
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: turbo timers? Wed, 09 November 2005 17:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
after a (very) short think, about all it will do of benefit is stop oil cooking and becoming solid in the oil galleries of the turbo.. which in turn blocks them, starves turbo of oil and then it dies...

as for the metal parts, i can't see how they would benefit from cooling down for a minute...

in the 20 or 30 second sit takes to park (or whatever) they will cool quickly from whatever temp to something more sane... perhaps when you stop dead after a dyno run there may be some expansion issues with the metal (more likely the manifold) but the impellers themselves have to cope with so much more abuse when being driven than just after they are stopped...

when you nail the throttle.. there is no cooling .. they get hot...

so anyway, surely the only real reason is to circulate oil until the turbo will not cook it???
(sorry, just trying to put some science into the myth Razz)
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: turbo timers? Wed, 09 November 2005 17:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
SilverGhost wrote on Wed, 09 November 2005 18:48

In my case a turbo timer is a feature of the alarm system I have installed, and as such i figured they were fairly common. When i pull up I just have a button under the steering column, If i want it to idle for a while I just press the button, take the key out and it idles for 2 minutes. I can leave the car, lock it with the alarms buzzer and do whatever and it will be secure...

thats a helluvalot better than an external timer that can be manually bumped up to keep the car running.... Very Happy
Soarer
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: turbo timers? Wed, 09 November 2005 22:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Trust/GReddy turbo timer can be wired into the ECU so if the speedo deviates from 0km/h it will also cut out. Beats the handbrake trick.
crazedrt104
Regular

March 2003
Re: turbo timers? Thu, 10 November 2005 22:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
How many factory turbo cars come with timers???
ndgcpr
Forums Junkie

April 2005
Re: turbo timers? Fri, 11 November 2005 00:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oldcorollas wrote on Thu, 10 November 2005 03:15

thats a helluvalot better than an external timer that can be manually bumped up to keep the car running.... Very Happy

I personally don't know of any timers that can be "bumped up" does anyone know of specific brands that do? I haven't been around alot of turbo cars so i don't know many timers but all the ones i have seen you hit a button (minute, seconds) and it ticks down, then wraps at zero. Just wondering if there are many that can be "bumped up"

Quote:

How many factory turbo cars come with timers???

How many factory cars come with oil catch cans or oil coolers? Not bagging its a serious question. Are there any? I reckon that if you had a decent oil cooler then i would be more happy without a timer but i don't like the setup on the 1G-GTE's (this thread did refer to a GZ20 soarer) as it runs through both turbos then 1/2 a lap around the coolant outlet pipe of the motor, sure that won't achieve much...
ke382TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: turbo timers? Fri, 11 November 2005 01:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

How many factory cars come with oil catch cans or oil coolers?

Quite a few come with oil coolers even the humble 4AGE in certain variants had an oil cooler.

Catch cans on factory cars, none that I can think of. Oil air separators, I am sure a few probably did?????.
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: turbo timers? Fri, 11 November 2005 03:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Out of interest our old Pajero had a button that we used once to test it, only found out what it did the day we went to get it valued for trade in. Now pressing the button enabled the car to run for 30 seconds after you turned it off to let it cool down. It was designed for the turbo diesel models for after long drives or intense 4 wheel driving (our was a petrol model but still had it).

Now the question is if turbo timers are illegal how come a feature like this could be built into a car from factory that would encourage the same thing ie ppl leaving their car unattended whilst it is running.
ke382TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: turbo timers? Fri, 11 November 2005 03:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

Now the question is if turbo timers are illegal how come a feature like this could be built into a car from factory that would encourage the same thing ie ppl leaving their car unattended whilst it is running.

If you could find an owners manual and check the info related to that button you might get an answer. Possibly it acted as a reminder/safety device to ensure proper shutdown after heavy use, but the instructions may have also said to remain in the vehicle for that 30 second shutdown??? Who knows unless you can track down a manual for that vehicle.

Quote: Ronas sig

....owning tailgaters....

How are you owning them? Slam on the brakes and let them get up close and personal with your rear end? Or just the inherent slowness of teh Rona owns all who are trapped behind it Laughing
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: turbo timers? Fri, 11 November 2005 03:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Covering them in smoke from the exhaust Very Happy , did it to a pathfinder the other night that had been tailgating me thru a roadwrok area for 4-5kms, driving at 60kmph (the current speed limit) sits on my arse about 2-3m off even though he can overtake as it is a dual lane road.

Anywho, only time he changed lanes was coming into a roundabout which he rolled thru very slow, upon exiting he jumped back into my lane and just sat on my arse again. Coming back into the 80 zone i thought fuck him, put the foot down watching the rear view mirror and tacho, hmm still sitting on my arse revs climbing then wisps of smoke starting to come out the back, then 3.5-4krpm and boom biggest cloud of smoke ever covers the pathfinder.

Turned off onto a road with 100kmph zone and left him behind in the knowledge that he'll have fun washing his car the next day.

As for the button knowing manufacturers manual they're is probably did have a warning in it but the whole idea of creating a button that means the keys no longer need to be in the ignition is really promoting the owner to leave the car.

[Updated on: Fri, 11 November 2005 03:40]

berad
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: turbo timers? Fri, 11 November 2005 03:37 Go to previous message
no u gotta get one that way everyone knows your turbo, when you get out of the car and its still running

my mum says im cool

hgahahahahaha
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:anyone in wollongong using jaycar boost controller
Next Topic:[AE86] N2 piccies!
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 17:49:46 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0064070224761963 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.