Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
woofa347
Regular

June 2004
replacing 1JZ thermostat Sun, 06 November 2005 05:23 Go to next message
Just wanted to know what is the best/easiest method of replacing the 1jz thermostat.
Got the bottom nut off easy but the top one is an absolute PITA!! Should I just take the air intake piping off first or is there an easier way?
  Send a private message to this user    
deesonet
Regular

May 2002
Re: replacing 1JZ thermostat Sun, 06 November 2005 07:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just did mine from underneath. Used a long extension on the socket and reached coming up beside the housing.
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: replacing 1JZ thermostat Sun, 06 November 2005 08:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yup, can be gotten from underneath. Use a small socket set that'll fit in there a bit better, and make sure the socket is on the nut properly so that it doesn't round it off... The best bit is that if you do it lying on the ground (i.e. no hoist), no matter where you lie, the little dribble of coolant will make a beeline straight for your eyes no matter where you position your head Laughing
woofa347
Regular

June 2004
Re: replacing 1JZ thermostat Sun, 06 November 2005 10:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thats the trouble I found, I didnt have a socket small enough to get onto the nut properly without hitting piping. And by the time I did get it on it kept slipping off from all the coolant dripping everywhere!! Mad Razz Might have to hunt down a better socket set me thinks...
haha yeh the face full of coolant wasn't helping things Razz Take out a loan and get a pit put in my garage lol
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: replacing 1JZ thermostat Sun, 06 November 2005 10:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
did you try a 1/4" drive?
ripfast
Regular

June 2005
Re: replacing 1JZ thermostat Sun, 06 November 2005 11:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
underneath small socket, is how i got mine
woofa347
Regular

June 2004
Re: replacing 1JZ thermostat Sun, 06 November 2005 11:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nah i havnt tried that actually
mm I defnately need to get some decent sockets by the sounds of it.
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: replacing 1JZ thermostat Mon, 07 November 2005 01:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
people have 1/4" drive sockets? I thought 3/8 were small enough. Sorry, can't help as I did mine with engine out and no turbos on there.
Skip
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: replacing 1JZ thermostat Mon, 07 November 2005 01:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Id be lost without my 1/4". Then again id be lost without my 3/8" and 1/2" too Smile
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: replacing 1JZ thermostat Mon, 07 November 2005 03:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
its a kent of a job thats for sure...even worse when you strip the nut and have to get vicegrips up there to get it off...

good luck with it and be careful...
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: replacing 1JZ thermostat Mon, 07 November 2005 08:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've done a couple of them, you have to use 1/4" drive sockets, and even then it helps to have several different sets to mix+match...
woofa347
Regular

June 2004
Re: replacing 1JZ thermostat Mon, 07 November 2005 08:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
its a bit worrying hearing about how many people have stripped the nut and what not Confused haha its defanetly not my favourite job...
I need some decent sockets haha
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: replacing 1JZ thermostat Mon, 07 November 2005 12:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yes! Use a decent socket, helps a LOT!
woofa347
Regular

June 2004
Re: replacing 1JZ thermostat Mon, 07 November 2005 21:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Once I get the housing off the thermostat should just fall out correct?
Skip
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: replacing 1JZ thermostat Mon, 07 November 2005 23:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It could be a little stuck. You may have to use a screw driver to lever the thermostat out or "persuade" it a bit Smile
EvilJack
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

September 2002

Re: replacing 1JZ thermostat Tue, 08 November 2005 10:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yea just rip it out, clean up the housing and put a new ring on the thermastat and some toyota sealant on it. Wink

i spent probly an hr tryn to get access to the underside of the turbos replacing the water pump, had 3 extenion bars off the one ratchet Shocked
woofa347
Regular

June 2004
Re: replacing 1JZ thermostat Wed, 09 November 2005 09:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I still cant get the pr*ck of a thing off!!!
Main reason why I want to get it off was to test and see if it is stuff shut. My car overheated late last week just driving normally and last time it was because the thermo's wern't working and the thermostat was buggered.
When I flushed the cooling system, it only took about 3-4 litres of coolant :S shouldnt it be about 8?
What's the best method to completely flush the 1jz cooling system?
Skip
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: replacing 1JZ thermostat Wed, 09 November 2005 10:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If I have flushed the cooling system I find my 1J will not open the thermostat by just pooring water into the radiator. What I do is remove the hose that goes to (or comes from Confused) my heater. It joins to the turbo cooling line which is bent 180 degrees at the rear of the engine. Fill this hose up and it will "prime" the thermostat.

This sounds like your problem, if it is I pity you for removing the thermostat Razz
woofa347
Regular

June 2004
Re: replacing 1JZ thermostat Wed, 09 November 2005 10:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hahaha yeh would be dumb to remove the thermostat just to flush the coolant . hopefully its not the thermostat and it just needed some new coolant Confused
About to take it for a drive now and see if it overheats again...
Skip
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: replacing 1JZ thermostat Wed, 09 November 2005 12:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
woofa347 wrote on Wed, 09 November 2005 18:29

hopefully its not the thermostat and it just needed some new coolant Confused

Never heard that one before. Good Luck Rolling Eyes

woofa347
Regular

June 2004
Re: replacing 1JZ thermostat Wed, 09 November 2005 12:57 Go to previous message
Just realised how dumb that sounded...haha
What I meant was, I dont know why it just decided to overheat the other day Confused Only thought is maybe the radiator was clogged up by something and just needed to be flushed...
I just took it for a drive after flushing the cooling system out fully and it was fine Confused
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:what lsd centre for a Corona avante diff??
Next Topic:4age + z
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat May 4 16:42:43 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0072140693664551 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.