Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

URGENT: power steer help Tue, 08 November 2005 11:30 Go to next message
a friend hyas just rocked up in her hyundai POS getz with the helpful "something's wrong with my car" (typical chick)

5 seconds of looking at it determines that somewhere in the power steering "cooler" there's a hole pissing out all her ps fluid. now I'm not too keen on the idea of removing all the crap necessary to get to said cooler and try a patch job (because it's 10:30, and the car is under warantee)...

so, I'm thinking it would be a good idea to disconnect the power steering pump so it doesn't end up shitting itself due to lack of lubrication.... is this necessary, or will it not cause any damage?

refiulling the ps fluid is not an option... it pissed out all the fluid in under an hour.
  Send a private message to this user    
RA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: URGENT: power steer help Tue, 08 November 2005 11:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well I killed a PS pump on a VK commodore once from running it dry. I would have to assume they aren't much different now than they were then.

Better to take off the belt to be safe I reckon.

Tim.
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: URGENT: power steer help Tue, 08 November 2005 13:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Can you use a piece of hose to bypass the "cooler" and just run from the rack to the bottle?
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: URGENT: power steer help Tue, 08 November 2005 13:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
get car towed and charge it back to the dealer?

is it safe/possible to drive with power steering non-functional?? (how heavy is it with it off??)
illuminatus
Forums Junkie

March 2005
Re: URGENT: power steer help Tue, 08 November 2005 23:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i would leave it, if it shits itself b4 he gets to the dealer in the morning, then they will replace it anyways.
where as if you start tinkering they might say that you caused the damage and not replace shit all.
bayka
Regular

I Supported Toymods

September 2002
Re: URGENT: power steer help Wed, 09 November 2005 01:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeh man, i agree with tim.

Don't touch anything that will void warranty. And if you really wanna drive it, definatly remove the belt to power steering as long as it doesn't run anything else. (even just cut it)

I ran my car without Psteering for a week and it was fine. No point destroying perfectly good hardware because its under warranty, unless u can have fun thrashing a power steering pump Wink
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: URGENT: power steer help Wed, 09 November 2005 05:19 Go to previous message
in the end, I just left it.
I had no power steering fluid in my shed Shocked (but 10L of toyota red coolant and 20L of assorted engine and gbox oils)

I didn't want to cut the belt, because that most likely would not be covered under warantee, and I was not interested in removing every other belt on the engine to get to the p/s one (which happens to be last on the crank)
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Wiring electric A\meter gauges in series
Next Topic:a few 4agze q's
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri May 10 09:14:32 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0049691200256348 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.