Toymods » General Car Talk » A1GP Japanese driver Shimoda insane crash

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
bathurst-91
Forums Junkie

April 2004

A1GP Japanese driver Shimoda insane crash Sun, 06 November 2005 06:23 Go to next message
Went to the A1gp at Eastern Creek today.. was a pretty damn good event, we moved around the whole track and basically happened to be at all different points and there was always something happening. Right at the end we decided to go to the bank after turn one (a top speed corner with huge kittylitter runoff)

After sitting there forawhile for some strange reason I started to think about Senna and his topspeed fatal accident and how a crash would looklike at such highspeed on this corner.

a few seconds later the Japanese driver comes flying through looks like hes nailed the corner at top speed until right near the end of it where it starts to straighten up he starts to lockup (overshot) and the car goes top speed into the sand.. at first glance I thought 'oh hes going to slow down in it' until it dug in, flipping him over what seemed like 2 times... and then hitting a BRICK WALL (no tyres). From a distance I thought it was a tyre wall but when we walked up to it to see the damage. There were no tyres.. completely insane the kitter litter drops off downhill into a brickwall... talk about lack of safety.

That said Shimoda seemed fine but was stretchered off. Sorry no pics because no camera but there were heaps of photos taken.. should be some closeups of it on the net soon.
  Send a private message to this user    
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: A1GP Japanese driver Shimoda insane crash Sun, 06 November 2005 09:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah i saw that on TV... looked pretty harsh, luckily the car took most of the brunt of the impact. Definitely needs to be a tyre barrier there!!!
Youngy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: A1GP Japanese driver Shimoda insane crash Sun, 06 November 2005 13:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I got to see the whole thing as well from about 25 metres along the fence on that corner. The wheel tracks in the kitty litter had a huge gap in them from when he was entirely in the air.

When they took the car of on the truck (it was completely broken on half at the bulkhead where the engine bolts up) you could see the entire roll over hoop had been shattered.

Interestingly enough two guys from A1 through a black cover over the whole wreakage before taking it back to the pits.
no_tofu_speed
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Jab what?!!?!
Re: A1GP Japanese driver Shimoda insane crash Sun, 06 November 2005 19:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I didnt get to see much, was stuck in a corporate box. Besides not getting sunburnt, and free alcohol I couldnt drink cause I thought I had to drive back (which I didnt bleh).... watching the race-wise. Its pretty damn sucky!!!
So there WAS NO tyre wall.
I do wonder if he was OK. Looked damn scary the aftermath!
How awesome was the Jetcar though.

[Updated on: Sun, 06 November 2005 19:36]

no_tofu_speed
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Jab what?!!?!
Re: A1GP Japanese driver Shimoda insane crash Sun, 06 November 2005 19:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If anyone finds out anymore about Shimodas condition please update, its kinda worrying.
BTW did anyone read the books, I think one of the chinese drivers is like 17yo etc.

What does everyone think of the A1 competition concept overall?
I reckon its an awesome concept. That Sheik/Prince is the man! Just wish all the other Sheiks were like him and not full of hatred.
bathurst-91
Forums Junkie

April 2004

Re: A1GP Japanese driver Shimoda insane crash Sun, 06 November 2005 21:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The chinese driver was 16 i heard...

A1 is a brilliant concept. I find it interesting though that although the cars are exactly the same some seem quicker than others (and im not talking about power boost). Down the straight certain cars would slowly creep on others.

Shimoda seems fine:

"At Eastern Creek it was the car entered by A1 Team Japan that suffered a crash that totally destroyed the car but left the driver Hayanari Shimoda unhurt. It was on lap 26 that the car, travelling at high speed, went off the track and crashed into a wall in turn one.

For a few heart-stopping moments while the rescue crews arrived at the scene the driver’s condition was unknown but it rapidly became clear the tub of the car had held up amazingly to the force of the accident. Shimoda was momentarily knocked unconscious but by the time he was extracted from the cockpit and taken to the medical centre he was conversing with the medical staff. A preliminary examination by Dr Paul Trafford, the A1 Grand Prix Medical Delegate, found no further injuries but the Japanese driver was transferred by helicopter to Westmead Hospital for a CT scan and further precautionary checks."
AE86slut
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: A1GP Japanese driver Shimoda insane crash Sun, 06 November 2005 21:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
no_tofu_speed wrote on Mon, 07 November 2005 06:35

If anyone finds out anymore about Shimodas condition please update, its kinda worrying.
BTW did anyone read the books, I think one of the chinese drivers is like 17yo etc.

What does everyone think of the A1 competition concept overall?
I reckon its an awesome concept. That Sheik/Prince is the man! Just wish all the other Sheiks were like him and not full of hatred.

It was cool I reckon. Awesome sounds, awesome speed, lots of action. At least there was a bit of passing and stuff which you don't get to see a lot of in other open-wheeler racing these days Rolling Eyes

It was sickening watching that car come apart and hit the wall though. It missed the tyred section by around 10-15m, and when looking at the gravel trap, there really only appeared to be one spot where the car actually dug into it - the rest was undisturbed, so he spent a lot of time in the air.

We saw him take his gloves off himself, so he was moving, but in the grand scheme of things that doesn't really mean anything condition-wise except that he's not a paraplegic.

And Youngy is right, there was nothing left of the roll-over hoop... ARGH
AE86slut
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: A1GP Japanese driver Shimoda insane crash Sun, 06 November 2005 21:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bathurst-91 wrote on Mon, 07 November 2005 08:50

The chinese driver was 16 i heard...

A1 is a brilliant concept. I find it interesting though that although the cars are exactly the same some seem quicker than others (and im not talking about power boost). Down the straight certain cars would slowly creep on others.

Shimoda seems fine:

"At Eastern Creek it was the car entered by A1 Team Japan that suffered a crash that totally destroyed the car but left the driver Hayanari Shimoda unhurt. It was on lap 26 that the car, travelling at high speed, went off the track and crashed into a wall in turn one.

For a few heart-stopping moments while the rescue crews arrived at the scene the driver’s condition was unknown but it rapidly became clear the tub of the car had held up amazingly to the force of the accident. Shimoda was momentarily knocked unconscious but by the time he was extracted from the cockpit and taken to the medical centre he was conversing with the medical staff. A preliminary examination by Dr Paul Trafford, the A1 Grand Prix Medical Delegate, found no further injuries but the Japanese driver was transferred by helicopter to Westmead Hospital for a CT scan and further precautionary checks."

There you go I guess... Surprised

Go to work Focker!
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: A1GP Japanese driver Shimoda insane crash Sun, 06 November 2005 22:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message

its because there is no turbulent dirty air behind the cars thus making passing impossible (eg F1)

all the cars were specifically designed to create a 'passing' race. cool concept
Youngy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: A1GP Japanese driver Shimoda insane crash Sun, 06 November 2005 23:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message

That Sheik/Prince is the man! Just wish all the other Sheiks were like him and not full of hatred.

What a load of shit dude. What sort of place do you think Dubai is?

justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: A1GP Japanese driver Shimoda insane crash Sun, 06 November 2005 23:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Youngy wrote on Mon, 07 November 2005 07:30

If you're a dude from Tom Gear in a fast car, the sort of place where you can get a police officer to block off a stretch of road for you to do a high speed run Razz
koen
Regular

March 2004
Re: A1GP Japanese driver Shimoda insane crash Mon, 07 November 2005 03:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://members.ozemail.com.au/~koensayr/shimoda.jpg
Pretty rooted, alright! Cockpit looks to be intact tho...
schmitt
Regular

February 2004
Re: A1GP Japanese driver Shimoda insane crash Mon, 07 November 2005 04:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The driver actually underwent emergency surgery last night to fix a ruptured aorta (spelling). He was just lucky that he got sent to the hospital for a checkup like all drivers involved in a serious incident do, cause at the track the A1 doctor passed him of any serious injury. He was fairly lucid when they checked him out at the track. Just goes to show that appearances can be deceiving.
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: A1GP Japanese driver Shimoda insane crash Mon, 07 November 2005 06:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
How did you hear about that, none of the news reports I've seen or the A1 website mention it.
no_tofu_speed
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Jab what?!!?!
Re: A1GP Japanese driver Shimoda insane crash Mon, 07 November 2005 06:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Youngy wrote on Mon, 07 November 2005 10:30

That Sheik/Prince is the man! Just wish all the other Sheiks were like him and not full of hatred.

No idea dude....
But I do know he cam eup with the concept... And apparantly owns all the cars... so I give him respect for that!
no_tofu_speed
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Jab what?!!?!
Re: A1GP Japanese driver Shimoda insane crash Mon, 07 November 2005 06:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ae86drift wrote on Mon, 07 November 2005 09:31

its because there is no turbulent dirty air behind the cars thus making passing impossible (eg F1)

all the cars were specifically designed to create a 'passing' race. cool concept

So F1 cars do create that much dirty air???
Hmmm tho not F1 cars there A1 cars seem like a brilliant piece of engineering in their own right.
They look hot too.
no_tofu_speed
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Jab what?!!?!
Re: A1GP Japanese driver Shimoda insane crash Mon, 07 November 2005 06:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
schmitt wrote on Mon, 07 November 2005 15:50

The driver actually underwent emergency surgery last night to fix a ruptured aorta (spelling). He was just lucky that he got sent to the hospital for a checkup like all drivers involved in a serious incident do, cause at the track the A1 doctor passed him of any serious injury. He was fairly lucid when they checked him out at the track. Just goes to show that appearances can be deceiving.

Yea be curious also to know where you picked this up? Abit grim to hear.... I guess it could have been worse.
Though all motor racing goes with such risk.. (I dont know Shimodas age) however to get such a ride at such a young age would be beyond gold, but imagine if it was the chinese driver of 16 years... and he ost his life.
Not taking anythign away form the likes of Senna etc, but he would have barely had a chance to live life.
Sad thought...
schmitt
Regular

February 2004
Re: A1GP Japanese driver Shimoda insane crash Mon, 07 November 2005 12:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I was working for A1 that weekend so that is how i found out.
Blown86
Regular

July 2002
Re: A1GP Japanese driver Shimoda insane crash Mon, 07 November 2005 14:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ae86drift wrote on Mon, 07 November 2005 06:31

There has to be turbulence behind the A1 cars, they've got wings just as F1.

It's more likely some of the cars had the wings trimmed out for a little more top end speed.
It's a one make class so 'getting a tow' from another car is more apparent as well.
bathurst-91
Forums Junkie

April 2004

Re: A1GP Japanese driver Shimoda insane crash Mon, 07 November 2005 21:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Blown86 wrote on Tue, 08 November 2005 01:30

ae86drift wrote on Mon, 07 November 2005 06:31

There has to be turbulence behind the A1 cars, they've got wings just as F1.

It's more likely some of the cars had the wings trimmed out for a little more top end speed.
It's a one make class so 'getting a tow' from another car is more apparent as well.

Yeh thats what I was thinking, perhaps some of the teams have made slight adjustments maybe some possibly undectable. What I was seeing wasnt a result of slipstreaming.

I mean really, can the drivers be that far apart that the frenchman was out to 7sec (back to 2nd) after a handfull of laps. (22sec ahead of Australia) Factoring in Will Davsion has probably driven that track hundreds of times.
Roundy
Regular

April 2005
Re: A1GP Japanese driver Shimoda insane crash Mon, 07 November 2005 21:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah but 22s to will davison isn't to hard to believe, when u are in the pack the gap to the leaders VERY quickly opens out.
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: A1GP Japanese driver Shimoda insane crash Mon, 07 November 2005 22:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ever thought they were simply exiting the corner on to the main straight faster and hence were then reaching slightly higher speeds Wink
Roundy
Regular

April 2005
Re: A1GP Japanese driver Shimoda insane crash Mon, 07 November 2005 23:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah exit speed is everything in a same formula class!
ehendrikd
Forums Junkie

April 2003

Re: A1GP Japanese driver Shimoda insane crash Tue, 08 November 2005 01:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i think the a1 is an awesome idea, and is a most welcome change. one make series naturally always produce close and exciting racing, and to take this to an international level is just brilliant.

another postive spin i heard is that the simple nature of country aganist country is also more attrative to non-petrol heads Smile

i'm just wating for their merchandise store to open to show my support and give to the cause Wink

edit: the master's series looks ike it could be quite interesting also Very Happy

[Updated on: Tue, 08 November 2005 01:33]

no_tofu_speed
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Jab what?!!?!
Re: A1GP Japanese driver Shimoda insane crash Tue, 08 November 2005 12:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm not sure if this is wortheless shitalk cause you all know this.
But in the book they said they have a Powerboost button that increases the HP by 30. And they have a limit of using it for I think 4 times in each race... Something NOS like by the sounds
However I also heard someone saying that it only works on full throttle... and it remains engaged until you back off form full throttle. Apparantly someone ran almost an entire lap of.. I think Silverstone on boost...

After the fact of having a powerboost button and a limit of using it, dont quote me, just what I heard about how it functions.
no_tofu_speed
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Jab what?!!?!
Re: A1GP Japanese driver Shimoda insane crash Tue, 08 November 2005 12:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Also dont suppose any gurus know the approximate width and length dimentions of an F1 car and an A1 car.... for comparison?
ehendrikd
Forums Junkie

April 2003

Re: A1GP Japanese driver Shimoda insane crash Tue, 08 November 2005 22:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
no_tofu_speed wrote on Tue, 08 November 2005 23:33

Something NOS like by the sounds

from their web site:

Quote:

By changing the engine's parameters, the system can give the driver an additional 30bhp over a limited time during each race.

i think the button simply activates a more powerful fuel map temporarily in the ecu

more about it here

[Updated on: Tue, 08 November 2005 22:47]

Mookie
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: A1GP Japanese driver Shimoda insane crash Wed, 09 November 2005 00:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i'm not sure if it's this racing or cart racing but they have a "push to pass" button that could very well be N2O.
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: A1GP Japanese driver Shimoda insane crash Wed, 09 November 2005 00:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mookie wrote on Wed, 09 November 2005 08:21

i'm not sure if it's this racing or cart racing but they have a "push to pass" button that could very well be N2O.

It's higher boost pressure. And it's champ car.
terra
Regular

July 2005
Re: A1GP Japanese driver Shimoda insane crash Thu, 10 November 2005 00:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
champ cars going twin turbo next year or the year after i think Very Happy
no_tofu_speed
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Jab what?!!?!
Re: A1GP Japanese driver Shimoda insane crash Thu, 10 November 2005 00:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
According to the website, Shimoda is fine. And interestingly enough he ran LeMans recently and was youngest driver competing at 21.

And whats champ car?
terra
Regular

July 2005
Re: A1GP Japanese driver Shimoda insane crash Thu, 10 November 2005 00:41 Go to previous message
the champ car series.. with erm... they look like f1 cars, but arent Razz

indy cars they used to be called.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:What front lip is this??? - Ae92 Levin
Next Topic:What bodykit is this? (MX-5)
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 20:59:53 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0086297988891602 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.