Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
ripfast
Regular

June 2005
1jz exhaust t piece Tue, 08 November 2005 03:25 Go to next message
So the car went for its inspection and of course they failed me for the smallest shit imaginable, like no clamp on the power steering hose Shocked but the hard one to fix is the exhaust leak, where the t type piece joins the exhausts of the two turbos together there are two gaskets either side, i got one side in but cant get the others in all the way and have leakage. anyone know of a way that i can line them up better, doesnt matter how dodgy they cant see it and its coming all off straight after for dump pipes. I have gasket shit on there and it is working round most of it just wondering if there is another way, if not ill just pump more gasket shit in there.
  Send a private message to this user    
Skip
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: 1jz exhaust t piece Tue, 08 November 2005 04:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Having no clamp on a low pressure power steering line is not something id call small Shocked

But anyway what do you mean you can't get the others all the way in?? You mean you didn't have any gaskets on one side when you took it over the pits?

You can try only having one gasket on each side, if that doesnt seal you will need to unbolt one of the turbos, put the y piece in position with gaskets, put the turbo back into position then bolt it all up. alternatively if you loosen all the turbo to manifold bolts that might give you enough play to get the gaskets in.
wilbo666
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1jz exhaust t piece Tue, 08 November 2005 07:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skip is on the money! Put a gasket each side, that is what I have.

Cheers
Wilbo
ripfast
Regular

June 2005
Re: 1jz exhaust t piece Tue, 08 November 2005 10:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you sure 1 gasket each side is enough, do you mean the original gaskets?
Skip
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: 1jz exhaust t piece Tue, 08 November 2005 23:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No im not sure but you will have to try it, yes the original gaskets. Petespipes has found some engines only have one gasket per side, whether or not this is OEM or been done due to the same reaason your describing remains to be seen.
Soarer
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1jz exhaust t piece Wed, 09 November 2005 00:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My Soarer came with only one gasket per side of the Y piece, and I don't think the turbos had been removed beforehand. I can't see the factory putting in 2 gaskets per side. Doesn't make a lot of sense. But yeah, try two per side, as it wouldn't be the first time it's been done.
Skip
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: 1jz exhaust t piece Wed, 09 November 2005 01:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It makes sense to me. It appears the factory method for compensating for any casting variations/hole variations in the y-piece and exhaust manifolds.
wilbo666
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1jz exhaust t piece Wed, 09 November 2005 02:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ripfast wrote on Tue, 08 November 2005 21:48

you sure 1 gasket each side is enough, do you mean the original gaskets?

If you ask me using two gaskets a side if adding an extra point of failure (tho I am aware that toyota did this from factory!)...

Cheers
Wilbo
ripfast
Regular

June 2005
Re: 1jz exhaust t piece Thu, 10 November 2005 03:17 Go to previous message
had to use all four but ended up putting 1 on one side andf three on the other, still leaks a bit but got through inspection alright so its all comin off anywayz.

PS my car is now fully roadworthy with its compliance plate and insured. YEEEEEEEEEEESSS! finally
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:AE101 Frt brake conversion to AE86 , any ideas??
Next Topic:Q's on 5 stud conversion
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun May 5 22:09:25 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.010902881622314 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.