Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Classifieds » Cars For Sale & Wanted » are theyre any AE86 truenos around??

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
katmai
Occasional Poster

February 2003
are theyre any AE86 truenos around?? Sun, 23 February 2003 02:28 Go to next message
im only yr11 at skool and im sorta interested in owning a panda look alike of a trueno ae86 with 4age engine.

im just wondering if there's any around sydney.

also,around how much would i need fork out to own one?
  Send a private message to this user    
Cyber-punk
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: are theyre any AE86 truenos around?? Sun, 23 February 2003 02:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
There are a few around....

As to how much they vary in both quality and price.
Pay cheap and expect not much...then again i've seen mint ones go for $14000

Pretty much decide how much you want to spend then find out what is within that budget, if that doesnt suit you save some more or prepare to recondition one yourself
J-AE86
Forums Junkie

January 2003
Re: are theyre any AE86 truenos around?? Sun, 23 February 2003 03:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you want a trueno coz of intial d ?
katmai
Occasional Poster

February 2003
Re: are theyre any AE86 truenos around?? Sun, 23 February 2003 03:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yea i guess it coulda been initial D which i fink is stupid too

But honestly, finking bout it and learning about it's potential. I really liked it. I liked it so much that i used the AE86 for the Initial D arcade game, lol.

Anywayz, im just asking

Suppose there are GT-Apex or GT-Vs around??

Anywayz, what does mint mean??
SPEEDCORE
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: are theyre any AE86 truenos around?? Sun, 23 February 2003 03:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Year 11?? While I am no expert at English, I think you should start to pay more attention in class because your spelling is shocking.

No, you will not find GT-Apex and GT-V's because they where not brought into Australia, bar a few GT-V's for competition.
I think. Don't quote me.

I suggest you do a little research on the Australian delivered AE86. Then get a box of Kleenex, because you will be disappointed as to the SPEC of car we got here!

Mint condition means that it is up to the quality when it was first produced. Which to tell you the truth, means FUCK ALL on a car that is 18-20 years old.

Your reference to MINT also got me thinking.
You have been reading C-Red's website haven't you??
katmai
Occasional Poster

February 2003
Re: are theyre any AE86 truenos around?? Sun, 23 February 2003 03:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lol, sorry about my english

It's just the way how i talk online.

i type things in short hand form. Well, maybe they're not really short hand but it's my style of chatting. Very Happy

Anyway, back to the topic about cars, what car can you suggest that i can buy with 14,000AUD? I want a car that is more like a high-performance car. Suppose, there ain't a car that cheap??

Cheers

[Updated on: Sun, 23 February 2003 03:44]

justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: are theyre any AE86 truenos around?? Sun, 23 February 2003 03:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
14k would get you a Mk3 Supra or the like, even a JZA70.

There is always the S13 Silvia or a 180SX which in my opinion is a bit nicer and not "quite" as common.
SPEEDCORE
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: are theyre any AE86 truenos around?? Sun, 23 February 2003 04:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dude if you got $14k to blow on a car and still have got some in reserve to be blowing it on women Very Happy may I suggest a 180sx.
Though insurance will be a limiting factor I would think. So your only really left with getting a good N/A car for 14G's.

Well forget about the 14k trueno sprinter in Perth... a bit too much money for something that has obviously been drifted HARD, and may have been crashed a few times. There are quite a few guys around here that are selling AE86's with 4A-GEs for good prices... some are just engine transplans.... some are ones that have had so much money pumped into them that it would make the mind boggle as to why someone would spend so much money on an old car... shit I'm guilty of it now with my sprinter. Thing is these peeps are asking about half of what they have poured into the car..... ie. MR20V! That particular car has a 20V to boot so an advantage non the less!
katmai
Occasional Poster

February 2003
Re: are theyre any AE86 truenos around?? Sun, 23 February 2003 04:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
So, the transplants you're talking about are the AE85's with with an engine upgrade, right?

hmm, i guess i understand what you meant by being disappointing.

Well, any ideas on how much an old model MR2 cost??

(I think it was called the AW11 or something)

[Updated on: Sun, 23 February 2003 04:32]

SPEEDCORE
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: are theyre any AE86 truenos around?? Sun, 23 February 2003 06:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nah not AE85.. they are still considered AE86.. well at least on the chassis.. but the engine is 4AC... SOHC 1.6...carby... about 55kw standard, is this right guys?? Gearbox is still T50.. though I think it has different ratios. Rear diff is also open, with drum brakes as opposed to disks. Inside the cabin is pretty much the same however the front seats are much nicer in the Jap versions. There are a stack of other little things that are different.

I think the main thing you have to remember dude is this.... even if you put a nice 4A-GE into it and yada yada it is still a 15+ year old car, so it will always have something going wrong with it! Don't get me wrong.... it didn't put me off buying one and doing it up (well it isn't complete yet... long LONG way to go well that's what you are going a little crazy with engine, brakes, new diff etc) but you must be prepared to pump money into it... and I think I mentioned it to another young guy a while back in another thread similar to this one,.... if you want one great, just be prepared to spend money, and take care of it as I don't want to see another sprinter written off or more importantly YOU written off!

And bear in mind that you are at an age where you should be more worried about school and chasing pussy! Very Happy
Dodgy_Haro
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: are theyre any AE86 truenos around?? Sun, 23 February 2003 07:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey Speedy ... lighten up doode ... Very Happy Hey, u still haven't PM'ed me yet ... has Anthony taken the red devil under his care yet?

Katmai, it's confusing but just remember that a Hachi Roku or 86 is determined by the chassis code, not the model designation GTV, Levin, Trueno, SR5 or GTS etc etc.

All Aussie Sprinters here are still AE86 as that is what their chassis are however they often get confused with the Hachi-go (AE85) given their lower spec & 4AC engines.

Anyway, what Speedcore says is right. If you're seriously considering an AE86, please consider this thread:

http://forums.club4ag.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4433

Be prepared for your car to break down or be in the garage for a while. I've already called RACQ 5 times last year and the car's been out of my hands for 3 months undergoing both engine conversion and paintjob right now. Not really a practical or reliable car like a modern day Hyundai however I can't stop grinning when everything's working right and the TVIS kicks in pass the 4,500 rpm mark. It's addictive. Surprised

Also, be prepared to become a scavenger in the wrecking yards as parts are harder to find.

If you have $14k to spend, then go for a modified AE86 as it will save you $$$ in the longer run (but deny you the pleasure of doing it). I'd have snapped up Mr20V's one if he had sold it a year earlier as I've already just put $13k into mine as of today (car price included). The C-Red one's nice as well however they've ditched EFI for carbs so not sure how streetable the car is. Be awesome though ...

Lastly, remember that Initial D (the 1st stage anyway) is 50% make believe. You can't do gutter runs and you'll still won't be as fast as more modern cars such as turbo Silvia's and 180SX's down the quarter unless you're running something serious.

As a bit of warning, here's a link to some misguided soul who thought he was Takumi:

http://forums.club4ag.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=23461

That said, I love AE86's and wouldn't trade mine for any other car in the world so looks like she's here to stay for a while. Cool
_Why_
Regular

February 2003
Re: are theyre any AE86 truenos around?? Sun, 23 February 2003 10:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'll just add my opinion on the matter...i just turned 18 and i am also looking for a AE86 trueno...but i dun have the same amount of cash as you do...i may suggest that u keep ur mind opened on a sprinter (Itsuki's Car in Initial D) and spend the rest on more meaningfull things... the oldest u can be is 17...u've got at least until 22 and even past that to impress ppl with your cars... Get something cheap to start off with.. that way it hardly matters if u trash it (as u will be experienced and will be likely to either crash it or give it a solid work out)... Once ur 18-20 get something cool and impress ur friends... but also a sprinter is a cheap car and also very cool... i know i'd be impressed if one of my mates owned a sprinter... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

anyway...what ever ur decesion is on getting ur first car, i suggest not splashing out a huge amount of cash on ur first car...
katmai
Occasional Poster

February 2003
Re: are theyre any AE86 truenos around?? Sun, 23 February 2003 10:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well, i dont think i'll be doing serious modding to make it full fast or something. I thought it would of been cheap since it is a really old car.

I would plan to buy a car when i finish high school and hoping to be driving it to uni (If i even get higher enought UAI) or something. I would expect some problems to arise from such old car but i wouldn't expect that much as a maintainance routine.
_Why_
Regular

February 2003
Re: are theyre any AE86 truenos around?? Sun, 23 February 2003 10:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you have to remember that the cheapest thing about owning a car is acctually purchising it.... keepeing it clean, running and full of petrol is the most expensive part of it... getting a sprinter for as low as $3k with another $9k in reserve u'll be set until u can get a new clean car or a decent job! Smile
Ribbo
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: are theyre any AE86 truenos around?? Sun, 23 February 2003 12:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if you don't plan on doing it up then a sprinter is not a good choice as a first car... as a car they are rare and sort after by many people, so the price of them even for stock ones is more than a more common car eg. corolla and parts are much easier to come by.
Personally I don't think a sprinter is a good car for a 17 year old thats just got his P's, you will most likely crash it doing something stupid on some wet night as you just don't have the experience and probably easily eggd on by your mates saying drift it like inial d *bang into tree*.

Just my opinion
im only 20 but even those 3 years of driving I feel you learn to respect how dangerous cars can be.
shcao
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: are theyre any AE86 truenos around?? Sun, 23 February 2003 15:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
And if you prang a trueno head on, you can pretty much kiss the trueno good bye, as the front panels and lights are bloody almost impossible to get.
joyride
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

January 2003
Re: are theyre any AE86 truenos around?? Sun, 23 February 2003 21:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dodgy_Haro wrote on Sun, 23 February 2003 18:13

Be prepared for your car to break down or be in the garage for a while.

thats definitely true. i bought my 86 in july 2002 and drove it around for 2 months. its been off the road since Sad
Hachi Roku Trueno
Regular

February 2003

Re: are theyre any AE86 truenos around?? Sun, 23 February 2003 23:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
That's not true, you can still get panels and front end stuff fot the Trueno. But prepared to spend big $$$ for them. How about $580 excl. GST for the front left panel? $95 excl. GST for a side blinker and $117 exc. GST for a front bumper support? The parts are twice as expensive than my STi. BTW, I do own a Trueno and its a bloody expensive toy, so mine is only a weekend and occasional driver. Find something else if you are looking for a daily driver. It will save you heaps in the long run.
Ribbo
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: are theyre any AE86 truenos around?? Mon, 24 February 2003 02:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yes mine has also spent lots of time off the road due to modifications.... But thats what 3 month uni holidays are for Very Happy
Hachi Roku Trueno
Regular

February 2003

Re: are theyre any AE86 truenos around?? Mon, 24 February 2003 03:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Matt, what's been done to yours? Mine has a Panda paint job and 4age 20v motor.
katmai
Occasional Poster

February 2003
Re: are theyre any AE86 truenos around?? Mon, 24 February 2003 04:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Say if i bought a 86 with the 4AGE-20V engine, are the likeihood hood of breakdowns' still high??
Patr1c
Regular

May 2002
Re: are theyre any AE86 truenos around?? Mon, 24 February 2003 05:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
AI run the 20v engine and its great. Smile
ae86trueno
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: are theyre any AE86 truenos around?? Mon, 24 February 2003 05:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
There are plenty of Trueno's around, you just have to pay the right money Very Happy
I had my first 86 when i was in year 11,all those 5 years ago. trust me get a standard one first, as your daily runaround, you will find that expensive enough to run,

PS want my genuine AE86 Trueno GVT yours for $14000
comes with enough parts to build a second one Razz Only kidding..

Cheers
Ben
AE86 Trueno 4AGE
katmai
Occasional Poster

February 2003
Re: are theyre any AE86 truenos around?? Mon, 24 February 2003 06:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hahaha, well 14k is a bit too expensive for such an old car.

by the way, do you have the 2door or the 3door one?

i don't really like the 2 door one.
ae86trueno
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: are theyre any AE86 truenos around?? Mon, 24 February 2003 07:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mine is a rally car, and has some really really expensive parts on it, and you couldnt build it for less then 25K.

Yes it is a 2 door one which makes it as rare as hens teeth,
which is why i like it as it stands out from the crowd of 86 Panda trueno wantabees Wink

Ben
AE86 Trueno 4AGE
_Why_
Regular

February 2003
Re: are theyre any AE86 truenos around?? Mon, 24 February 2003 10:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
its not the tofu car tho Wink
Sam
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: are theyre any AE86 truenos around?? Mon, 24 February 2003 21:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
katmai wrote on Sun, 23 February 2003 14:17

But honestly, finking bout it and learning about it's potential.

Just make sure you don't spend all your time in English class thinking about panda sprinters... Smile
SPEEDCORE
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: are theyre any AE86 truenos around?? Tue, 25 February 2003 02:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey you could always get a job as the LUBE MOBILE kid......

FURTEEN FURTY FURTYTOO!!

hehe just JOEYKIN' Rolling Eyes mate lol!
katmai
Occasional Poster

February 2003
Re: are theyre any AE86 truenos around?? Tue, 25 February 2003 04:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
haha

Nah, i've stopped thinking long ago. i never actually thought that deep really.

Well, now i'm thinking of the AW11. Is that at least a better option than the 86?

[Updated on: Tue, 25 February 2003 04:36]

SPEEDCORE
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: are theyre any AE86 truenos around?? Tue, 25 February 2003 14:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hmmmm good question mate.... I think that there would be even less parts (body wise) for AW11 MR2's than AE86s, please correct me someone if I am not too sure!

Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: are theyre any AE86 truenos around?? Wed, 26 February 2003 01:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Another Inital D ? man i wonder how many truenos have met their end because of that cartoon ???

Hmm - with 14k to burn - you could do a hell of a lot better than a ae86

Sorry sprinter and trueno owners - i know theres good examples out there - but for a young buck like him - i can see trees and bent rims written all over it , and well your all correct in saying its a 14 year old car thats becoming hard to fget parts for

A Suggestion from the bench here - other cars that you could get for 14k

Silvia
180sx
Celica Gt4 ( st165 and 185 )
celica 162 ( 3sge version )
mazda Mx5
R32 Skyline Gts ( pre 1990 )
Laser Tx3 , na And Turbo AWD

All these cars are newer - and beside the St165 parts are redily available for them all as far as i have seen. Mind you bar the MX5 and st162 they are all turbos - so insurance would be hard if you wanted full coverage

One thing id Stress though - is insurance .. How much would he be looking at for the trueno seeing its a 2 door "performance" coupe . Would he have issues with the modifications that would likely have been done to it ? I mean - most as mentioned would have some modifications - ie 4agze's , ge's etc.

If your hearts set on a ae86 though - id strongly point you in the direction of the sprinter - as far as i see they are alot easier to source parts for - alot already have the 4age's in them - they are CHEAPER by about 10K for a good one , and they came to australia - they are not a grey import .

No one from the mainstream insurers will go near a grey import - especially for young drivers - wiithout having to pay ludicrous premuims .

Other cheaper cool toyota alternatives would be the Corolla GTS twincams - late eighties ( ae92 i think ) these seem to be very reliable little hatchbacks and look pretty good for a square car , with a nice set of wheels - and a simple exhaust mod - All of which most insurers dont care about as long as you tell them .. They also handle like a cat on carpet with a good suspension setup !

Any of the celicas pre 1977 would be another good point - Alot of ta22's have the 2tg's in them, ra's have 18rg twincams and some 4age's - and ones on here for sale are usually well kept and in good order ( check the for sale bit - theres a ta22 , in good nick - less motor for about 1500 dollars - tiger mica orange , setup for a 2tgeu - but you could easily slot in a 2tg and have it running for under 4k . From my own experience and im sure backed up by others - the old celicas are reliable - cheap to run - and service - and look nice !
( im not trying to convert here - just offering alteratives ! )

have a GOOD think about what you want - and research your insurance side of things so they cant sting you if you do have an accident !

katmai
Occasional Poster

February 2003
Re: are theyre any AE86 truenos around?? Wed, 26 February 2003 04:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gezz, it gets on my nerves when people just flame me for that.

Didn't i just mentioned i stopped thinking about it somewhere??

I was asking about the 86 because i was just willing to know. It's not like i am all desperate and conform as an Initial D fanatic.

Plus, i was asking about the AW11 and i was wondering if that was an okay car to get as a first car.
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: are theyre any AE86 truenos around?? Wed, 26 February 2003 05:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
no flame intended - Sorry ! Confused

katsuchiyo
Regular

December 2002

Re: are theyre any AE86 truenos around?? Thu, 27 February 2003 01:34 Go to previous message
LOL.. if your in Perth.. 180SX, 200Sx, S13/14 etc are very commonplace..

however.. if you've seen the Hachi at C-Red, and you've been watching Initial D, you wont have much idea about street racing for one.. but you also wont know much about the C-red hachi.

i believe it's a $14k car... however it is completely stock.
well, by comparison to the cars that are running in Japan.

see, the Sprinter, though a very nice car, is now frigging hard to get any parts for (obviously allowing for the same year part conversion that Toyota has.). However, if its a thing of "i like the classic car" then you should probably aim around it.

an S13 can set you back mebbe 10k for a stock secondhand.
well.. in perth anyway.
as far as skylines.. if you plan on getting involved in streetracing, then you wont want a skyline. I wouldn't reccomend trying to get into street racing with no previous experience though, i was brought into it by a friend, been with it for 4-5 years now.. so its a part of life for me now... its best you have a base..

As far as your car goes.. you have to look at the car for what it is.
Is this car a car that i will still like in 4 years time?
is this car going to cost me a lot of money to maintain (exclude petrol, because all petrol related items are bastards)
Is this car a bit too ballsy for me?
(and i am serious, some people do NOT know how to handle the power of a car.)

just think sense..
I wouldnt reccomend a Hachi for a first car, i would reccomend a GTR Corolla over it.. alsmost the same.. but there are differences. ie, easier to get parts.

I think I've babbled enough.. i could keep going on and on about this though.

peace
katsuchiyo

BTW: apologies to Classique for copying what you said about the Toyota GTS.. i missed that bit.

[Updated on: Thu, 27 February 2003 01:37]

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Damaged MX83 Grande wanted
Next Topic:$700 87 Seca
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Wed May 8 18:35:07 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0076041221618652 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.