Toymods » General Car Talk » Suggestion for moddin my new corolla

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Mattyredrolla
Occasional Poster

November 2005
icon10.gif  Suggestion for moddin my new corolla Wed, 09 November 2005 11:47 Go to next message
This afternoon i got my waepon!! Its a 1981 mdl 5 spd Red CS Corolla, im just wondering if anyone has any suggestions for me to mod my corolla. PS i dont want to spend heaps, and i dont like any need for speed style of shit. Cheers
  Send a private message to this user    
love ke70
Regular

September 2005
Re: Suggestion for moddin my new corolla Thu, 10 November 2005 01:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
put a 1g gte into it Evil or Very Mad
front brake upgrade
put in hektik stereo
lotsa stickahz
and then u got a fooly hektik car Very Happy

Mattyredrolla
Occasional Poster

November 2005
icon12.gif  Re: Suggestion for moddin my new corolla Thu, 10 November 2005 01:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cheers mate, im thinking about buyin my brothers 2 10's and his amp, theyve been sittin in his cupbaord and never used, and that will get me half way there. and also does anyone know what sort of descent wheels would fit on it??
love ke70
Regular

September 2005
Re: Suggestion for moddin my new corolla Thu, 10 November 2005 01:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
most diched wheels will fit, im lookin at gettin a set of 15*8 for the rear and 15*7 for the front on mine
looks pretty mean if u get dont get ultra modern bling bling crap.
remember its an old car so keep it in perspective, new style wheels dont look too great on a ke in my opinion
Mattyredrolla
Occasional Poster

November 2005
icon14.gif  Re: Suggestion for moddin my new corolla Thu, 10 November 2005 01:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeh sick mate, i totally agree, do you know where ya can pick up an old set of wheels or something, im not after something super shiney or anything, and definateyl NOT chrome. I just want the bastard to look a bit tough LOL
Mattyredrolla
Occasional Poster

November 2005
Re: Suggestion for moddin my new corolla Thu, 10 November 2005 02:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Also would a 1g gte bolt straight in or would i need to do a bit of wrok in order to get it in?
love ke70
Regular

September 2005
Re: Suggestion for moddin my new corolla Thu, 10 November 2005 02:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
umm just keep ur eyes open, things always show up,
a 1ggte is a not a bolt in, quite alot of work, but i think its worth it if u got the time
beige_bandit
Regular

September 2005
Re: Suggestion for moddin my new corolla Thu, 10 November 2005 03:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
love ke70 wrote on Thu, 10 November 2005 13:40

umm just
a 1ggte is a not a bolt in, quite alot of work

ABSOLUTELY, getting the car engineered becomes a fair bit of muck around
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Suggestion for moddin my new corolla Thu, 10 November 2005 03:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hahahhahaha, funniest thread i have read since 86tt's last one Razz
ke382TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Suggestion for moddin my new corolla Thu, 10 November 2005 03:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

and that will get me half way there

Half way where?

Quote:

PS i dont want to spend heaps

well I think we can rule out the 1GGTE or pretty much any other engine conversion.

Quote:

and i dont like any need for speed style of shit.

I was going to suggest an air brushed eagle on the bonnet with flames coming off it, but don't worry.

In all seriousness though most upgrades to the current engine will just result in increased noise for no actual performance gains. Chances are that some servicing and new shocks, bushes etc will be a good upgrade in that it will make the car more pleasant to drive (assuming these things are worn as is often the case in an old stock corolla).

Have fun with it and if you go down the serious modification route be prepared to spend $$ and do things properly.
love ke70
Regular

September 2005
Re: Suggestion for moddin my new corolla Thu, 10 November 2005 05:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok umm whys this sooo funny?

half way where: half way to stereo setup Rolling Eyes

well I think we can rule out the 1GGTE or pretty much any other engine conversion: hmm id have to agree with that

Chances are that some servicing and new shocks, bushes etc will be a good upgrade in that it will make the car more pleasant to drive : he speaks the truth, when i got my ke70, front shocks had the date on them...1988, kinda scary lol

why is gettin a ke70 with a 1ggte in it engineered so difficult?
within legal capacity
the diff will have to be upgraded so u get one with disc brakes
upgrade front brakes, there are several options here
then what else do you see as being a problem for engineering if the mounts are good?
this is a serious question as i am looking at doing this and am quite interested
thanx
~andrew~
ke382TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Suggestion for moddin my new corolla Thu, 10 November 2005 05:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

within legal capacity
then what else do you see as being a problem for engineering if the mounts are good?
this is a serious question as i am looking at doing this and am quite interested

It's no more difficult than most engine conversions that stray away from running the same series of engine that the car ever had fitted as a factory item.

As long as the car and conversion are structurally sound, is adequately braked, and complies with the appropriate emmissions requirements it's not dificult to engineer.

Difficulties arise with engineering when things are not done properly Wink
Mattyredrolla
Occasional Poster

November 2005
Re: Suggestion for moddin my new corolla Thu, 10 November 2005 05:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah settle down there chap, i dont think you understand that im just a young bloke who has just bought his first car. I also dont know much about my car and i wanna find out, so whats wrong with me asking questions, thats how you learn afterall isnt it?
ke382TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Suggestion for moddin my new corolla Thu, 10 November 2005 06:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

Yeah settle down there chap

No one got worked up, so no one needs to settle down Smile

You asked some questions, you got some answers, if you have more questions then just ask Wink

Quote:

so whats wrong with me asking questions

I don't see anyone who had a problem, so you just take a deep breath and be nice and everyone will be more than happy to help answer your questions.

Have a good arvo Wink
mic*
Regular

July 2005
Re: Suggestion for moddin my new corolla Thu, 10 November 2005 06:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

within legal capacity
thanx
~andrew~

What are you doing about a gear box ere??? Id be interested to know what bolts up to a 1G coz it is in my future plans to rip out the auto piece of shite clinging to the fly of my 1G-GZE and replace it with something where my wheels actually have a solid physical connection to my engine.

...and everybody settle down now Laughing Laughing Laughing
we must be calm and collected when we are dealing with "weapons".

Would i be making too much fun of the thread to ask MATTYREDROLLA if he calls it a "weapon" coz parts are gonna come flying off down the road and kill ppl? Or is it coz its about ready to explode?
Mattyredrolla
Occasional Poster

November 2005
Re: Suggestion for moddin my new corolla Thu, 10 November 2005 06:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
HAHA yeh that would be right, nah come on, its alright for a first car.
mic*
Regular

July 2005
Re: Suggestion for moddin my new corolla Thu, 10 November 2005 07:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Im jus playin.

Its a good first car mate.

Best of luck with it and ask anything you like on here mate, its what its for. As long as its not

"i pulled me commie "motor" apart right, now i gots all dese bolts left over after i stuck all the fingys back t'geva. Dey got a lotta rusty stuff on em. Where d ya reckon vey go guys?"
love ke70
Regular

September 2005
Re: Suggestion for moddin my new corolla Thu, 10 November 2005 07:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

What are you doing about a gear box ere??? Id be interested to know what bolts up to a 1G coz it is in my future plans to rip out the auto piece of shite clinging to the fly of my 1G-GZE and replace it with something where my wheels actually have a solid physical connection to my engine.

well im not sure if a w-57 bolts up but its what im planning
im planning running gas so theres no worries about ecu and the like
but yeah, does it bolt up? i assumed it did, ill go ask google now
~andrew~
love ke70
Regular

September 2005
Re: Suggestion for moddin my new corolla Thu, 10 November 2005 07:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok had a look around
http://www.foriago.com/EngResource/Automobile/toyo tacentral/transmissions/RWDgearboxes.htm
that seems to say that the w57 came stock with a 1g, so i assume itll all bolt up

[Updated on: Thu, 10 November 2005 07:43]

SilverGhost
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: Suggestion for moddin my new corolla Thu, 10 November 2005 08:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I would clean it up...cut the rust out of it (yes, there will be rust on a KE Smile) and give it a nice respray.

the motor in your car is a 4k-c right? If you read up on toyota engine codes you will notice that the 4 stands for bore/stroke revision (i.e. the displacement of the motor, in this case a 1.3l)

the K is the block type, now here is the kicker. You will also notice a K in your chassis type i.e. KE55 i think yours would be. This means that any 'K' type motor can pretty much bolt right up. When u stray to a different type of motor i.e. 1'G'gte
it normally lives in a 'G' type chassis so getting it to bolt up to a 'K' type is where the money comes in.

the C stands for Carburettor. It refers to the method of fuel entry to the motor.

If you were serious about doing up the motor, I would recommend a rebuild identical motor if u wanna keep it stock and running great (K motors run forever...and ever....and ever Smile)
or look at other K motors. Guys on here will know heaps more than me about this series, but I think there is such an animal as a 7K-E (not sure what displacement it is, but its fuel injected so should be more effiecnt and powerful, just not sure how much Smile) After that a nice 2 - 2 1/2 inch exhaust, decent 15's and tints you will have a really neat ride.

Just remember, having a car that runs like crap wether its new or not doesnt reflect well on you, but if you have an older car that runs sweet and sounds/feels good to drive people will see u in a much better light, like someone who takes pride in his possessions and appearance.

In closing, there is a wealth of info on this forum from people who have done all manner or upgrades/conversions on K series cars, its well worth the search. Good Luck dude!

P.S. I used to own a KE55, and it WAS a weapon!! I loved it! Cool

mynameisrodney
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Suggestion for moddin my new corolla Thu, 10 November 2005 08:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
C is for some emission control crap i think. not carbie

edit:
here it is
Quote:

Toyota Engine Codes
Toyota engine codes are split into two sections, the bit before the dash, and the bit after it (eg: 2JZ-GTE).

Before the dash.
The letters signify the "family" or "series" of the engine. The numbers signify a revision of the bottom end (ie: bore, stoke, block). Higher numbers don't necessarily mean a larger block.
For example, the twin turbo engines in modern Supras are the 1JZ-GTE and 2JZ-GTE. The 1JZ is a 2.5L engine, while the 2JZ is a 3.0L. Both are twin turbo inline sixes.

After the dash.
The letters after the dash specify the features of the engine.
G - Wide angle Twin Cam (sportier head)
F - Narrow angle Twin Cam (economical head)
T - Turbocharged
Z - Supercharged
E - Electronic Fuel Injection
U - Emissions control (Japanese)
C - Emissions control (Californian).

Sample Engines And Their Codes
These are a few engines that can be found in our members' cars.
4A-GE: 1.6L DOHC EFI 16V inline four cylinder
4A-GE (20 Valve): 1.6L DOHC EFI 20V inline four cylinder
4A-GZE: 1.6L DOHC EFI 16V supercharged inline four cylinder
7A-FE: 1.8L DOHC EFI 16V inline four cylinder
1G-GTE: 2.0L DOHC EFI 24V intercooled twin turbo inline six cylinder
3/4K-C: 1.3L OHV Carby 8V inline four cylinder (4K block, 3K head)
5M-E: 2.8L SOHC EFI 12V inline six cylinder
7M-GTE: 3.0L DOHC EFI 24V turbocharged inline six cylinder
18R-C: 2.0L SOHC Carby 8V inline four cylinder
18R-GEU: 2.0L DOHC EFI 8V inline four cylinder
3S-GE / 3S-FE: 2.0L DOHC EFI 16V inline four cylinder
3S-GTE: 2.0L DOHC EFI 16V turbocharged inline four cylinder
2T-G: 1.6L DOHC 8V inline four cylinder

Article by:
Peter Luong
Max
Nark

[Updated on: Thu, 10 November 2005 08:19]

SilverGhost
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: Suggestion for moddin my new corolla Thu, 10 November 2005 08:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
your right i stand corrected,

Embarassed I always thought it stood for Carbie.
mynameisrodney
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Suggestion for moddin my new corolla Thu, 10 November 2005 08:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
shit happens
i thought i wanted an LT celica for about 2 years then found this site and realised what i was actually after was a ta22 Laughing

EDIT: whoops typo!

[Updated on: Thu, 10 November 2005 08:26]

SilverGhost
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: Suggestion for moddin my new corolla Thu, 10 November 2005 08:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
and i still want a TA22 hehehe shit they can look mean
mic*
Regular

July 2005
Re: Suggestion for moddin my new corolla Thu, 10 November 2005 22:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mynameisrodney wrote on Thu, 10 November 2005 19:18

C is for some emission control crap i think. not carbie

edit:
here it is
Quote:

Toyota Engine Codes
Toyota engine codes are split into two sections, the bit before the dash, and the bit after it (eg: 2JZ-GTE).

Before the dash.
The letters signify the "family" or "series" of the engine. The numbers signify a revision of the bottom end (ie: bore, stoke, block). Higher numbers don't necessarily mean a larger block.
For example, the twin turbo engines in modern Supras are the 1JZ-GTE and 2JZ-GTE. The 1JZ is a 2.5L engine, while the 2JZ is a 3.0L. Both are twin turbo inline sixes.

After the dash.
The letters after the dash specify the features of the engine.
G - Wide angle Twin Cam (sportier head)
F - Narrow angle Twin Cam (economical head)
T - Turbocharged
Z - Supercharged
E - Electronic Fuel Injection
U - Emissions control (Japanese)

Sample Engines And Their Codes
These are a few engines that can be found in our members' cars.
4A-GE: 1.6L DOHC EFI 16V inline four cylinder
4A-GE (20 Valve): 1.6L DOHC EFI 20V inline four cylinder
4A-GZE: 1.6L DOHC EFI 16V supercharged inline four cylinder
7A-FE: 1.8L DOHC EFI 16V inline four cylinder
1G-GTE: 2.0L DOHC EFI 24V intercooled twin turbo inline six cylinder
3/4K-C: 1.3L OHV Carby 8V inline four cylinder (4K block, 3K head)5M-E: 2.8L SOHC EFI 12V inline six cylinder
7M-GTE: 3.0L DOHC EFI 24V turbocharged inline six cylinder
18R-C: 2.0L SOHC Carby 8V inline four cylinder18R-GEU: 2.0L DOHC EFI 8V inline four cylinder
3S-GE / 3S-FE: 2.0L DOHC EFI 16V inline four cylinder
3S-GTE: 2.0L DOHC EFI 16V turbocharged inline four cylinder
2T-G: 1.6L DOHC 8V inline four cylinder

Article by:
Peter Luong
Max
Nark

Cant see any other codes up there with C after the dash but dem ones it seems to stand for carbie...

That document contradicts itself
Mattyredrolla
Occasional Poster

November 2005
Re: Suggestion for moddin my new corolla Fri, 11 November 2005 02:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeh thanks alot for those suggestions. And you will be pleased to know that there is absolutely NO rust. And yes you were right about the it having a 4k-c in it. I will also have you know that even though i do not have my P's yet, i took it out yesterday arvo and i got it smokin!!!. hahaha, the paddock basher driving has really pid off. LOL. Very Happy
mic*
Regular

July 2005
Re: Suggestion for moddin my new corolla Fri, 11 November 2005 02:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

I will also have you know that even though i do not have my P's yet, i took it out yesterday arvo and i got it smokin!!!.

Such immaturity. Who does such things... Razz Razz Razz

Wink
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Suggestion for moddin my new corolla Fri, 11 November 2005 02:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You took to the Ke70 with petrol and matches wtf are you smoking boy (ain't no other way you could get it smokin).
Shraka
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Suggestion for moddin my new corolla Fri, 11 November 2005 02:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mic* wrote on Fri, 11 November 2005 09:54

Cant see any other codes up there with C after the dash but dem ones it seems to stand for carbie...

That document contradicts itself

C stand for Californian Emissions control standard which only applied to carby cars.

There is a 3K (no letters) engine which is just a 3K-C only without a carby that meets californian emissions standards. There is also a 4K, 2T-G, 2T-GU etc which run carbies, but don't have C after the name.

There also seems to be a 3K-B, 3K-H, 2T-B and 2T-BR. I have NO idea what those letters mean. Confused

Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Suggestion for moddin my new corolla Fri, 11 November 2005 02:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
From what I have seen most of the B ending motors have twin carbies on them.
river
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Suggestion for moddin my new corolla Fri, 11 November 2005 03:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

Mattyredrolla wrote on Thu, 10 November 2005 16:54

Yeah settle down there chap

Hehehehe. Dunno why but that line cracked me up. From now on I'm gonna think "chap" each time I see a KE382TG entry.

How's it feel to be a chap, eh KE?

In regards to the engine codes the C does stnadard for emission controls, even if it does look like it means carbie.

The 18RG is a carbie engine, but it don't have any C against it. I'm sure there's a few more examples like that in the massive Toyota engine range.

Judging by the way our new 'rolla owning chap is behaving, by smokin' up his car, I think there will be one less 'rolla on the roads very soon.

seeyuzz
river
pr*duct
Regular

April 2005
Re: Suggestion for moddin my new corolla Mon, 14 November 2005 08:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

when i got my ke70, front shocks had the date on them...1988

I can beat that...
1985 celica bought in 2005 --> a good 20 years
195000 odd km's on the clock..

Shocks were ORIGINAL

Rolled and swayyed like a boat!!
love ke70
Regular

September 2005
Re: Suggestion for moddin my new corolla Mon, 14 November 2005 08:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ha i win

my car had 406000 on it, so even if it they were new im guessing mine were more k's but anyways, that is a good effort on your part Very Happy
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Suggestion for moddin my new corolla Mon, 14 November 2005 09:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
pr*duct wrote on Mon, 14 November 2005 19:22

Quote:

I can beat that...

Shocks were ORIGINAL

When we replaced my shocks last year at 410,000kms the front struts were still the original oil filled ones beat, needless to say they had no rebound whatsoever and the car brakes and handles ten times better than before. Very Happy

[Updated on: Mon, 14 November 2005 09:00]

oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Suggestion for moddin my new corolla Mon, 14 November 2005 09:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yay.. it's a battle of who has the oldest shocks.. woo hoo Rolling Eyes

Razz

and for our newb Matty..

don't be a fuckstain....

Quote:

I will also have you know that even though i do not have my P's yet, i took it out yesterday arvo and shpwed everyone what a complete fuckwit i am!!!!!

Laughing
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Suggestion for moddin my new corolla Mon, 14 November 2005 09:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Quote:

I can beat that...

Shocks were ORIGINAL

meh, shocks in my sisters KE10 are also original 1967.. and they are still in good condition Razz
spirokeet
Regular

July 2004
Re: Suggestion for moddin my new corolla Mon, 14 November 2005 18:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oldcorollas wrote on Mon, 14 November 2005 09:49

Quote:

I can beat that...

Shocks were ORIGINAL

meh, shocks in my sisters KE10 are also original 1967.. and they are still in good condition Razz

Bah! My front shocks had done 510 000 km by the time I replaced them and they were only changed cos I did the rest of the suspension!
I win the battle!
Do I get a trophy?

Matty, if you clean the spilt oil from the motor future smoking embarrassment will be avoided
Smile
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Suggestion for moddin my new corolla Mon, 14 November 2005 20:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
spirokeet wrote on Tue, 15 November 2005 05:32

Bah! My front shocks had done 510 000 km by the time I replaced them and they were only changed cos I did the rest of the suspension!
I win the battle!
Do I get a trophy?

farrrrrrkk..

i reckon a "1981 mdl 5 spd Red CS Corolla" would make a reasonable trophy... well..it's a start...
spirokeet
Regular

July 2004
Re: Suggestion for moddin my new corolla Mon, 14 November 2005 21:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oldcorollas wrote on Mon, 14 November 2005 20:16

spirokeet wrote on Tue, 15 November 2005 05:32

I win the battle!
Do I get a trophy?

farrrrrrkk..

i reckon a "1981 mdl 5 spd Red CS Corolla" would make a reasonable trophy... well..it's a start...

Cool, can you plate it in some kind of exotic metal for me?
I find that 1980s Toyota red looses its lustre after a few years in the sun..
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Suggestion for moddin my new corolla Mon, 14 November 2005 22:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hmm, we could plasma-spray some nickel-aluminides... what can you afford?? zinc? silver? gold? platinum?
spirokeet
Regular

July 2004
Re: Suggestion for moddin my new corolla Mon, 14 November 2005 23:01 Go to previous message
I was watching Star Trek the other day and they mendioned 'tritanium', I believe it is soe kind of unobtanium/platinum alloy, the real question is: can I get it anodised in a bleeding panda scheme? Wink
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Does anybody know where in australia to buy J&S electronic gear?????
Next Topic:holden or toyota?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 14:38:19 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0067679882049561 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.