Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

icon8.gif  Project Decade Saga Continues Thu, 03 November 2005 23:37 Go to next message
Well, this weekend I'm going to make my last big effort to try and sort this POS out before I take it to someone. I'm fast running out of ideas, and barely being able to keep in front of a Magna this morning on 0.9bar was embarassing.

Basically this is going to be a brain dump of everything I've tried. Whatever the problem is, it's going to be small, but alas everything I've tried to date hasn't worked. Hopefully by outlaying everything, it might trigger something with someone, or they might recognise a symptom. I hesitate to take it to an auto electrician, because I know I should be able to find the problem myself.

The symptoms
- Hesitates when it first starts up, chugs a little before coming up to revs.
- When it finally does start cold, it blows a massive cloud of smoke, lumbers for half a sec then screams up to 2200rpm.
- When it finally does warm up, the idle can vary anywhere from 800rpm to 2200rpm with no particular driving style favouring either end of the spectrum.
- When idling, it pops out the exhaust, sometimes only a little bit, remaining smooth, sometimes quite pronounced.
- Power is down, particularly in the upper revs, 4500rpm onwards it feels likes it's hitting a brick wall.

Last time working correctly
- About 2 months ago, for one night. We'd just changed the distributor over because it was throwing a code 12. It ran beautifully all night. Came back week later, topped the coolant up and car was back to running crap.

Things replaced
- Has a brand new set of NGK plugs
- Has a brand new set of 8mm Magnecor leads
- New 82 degree thermostat
- Has a brand new dizzy cap

Things substituted
- AFM
- dizzy
- rotor button
- coil/igniter
- fuel pump
- ECU

Things tried/checked
- Injectors cleaned
- CSI not leaking
- Voltages correct as per: http://users.bigpond.net.au/justcallmefrank/pinout s.jpg
- Removed engine fan and listened for vacuum leaks, followed from AFM to TB and fixed any leaks encountered
- All injectors clicking
- ISCV cleaned
- Boost seems to be holding fine
- Not throwing any codes (other than speed sensor when I drive to work on freeway)

Things checked by think need more attention
- Earths. I've checked with a multimeter the main earths at the ECU pins. I made sure the ones I found on the coil/igniter and the underside of the inlet manifold were good, but I'm unsure if there are any other ones around the engine itslef to check.

I'll add some more as I remember them. If any of the above triggers any sort of idea, just tell me, no matter how far fetched, i'll entertain anything atm.

[Updated on: Fri, 04 November 2005 05:11]

Send a private message to this user    
Lambolica
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: Project Decade Sage Continues Fri, 04 November 2005 00:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Throwing an Idea here...

Have you looked at the O2 sensor? I'm a little out of my depth here but if the O2 is shagged the computer may be over/under fuelling from false readings??

Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Project Decade Sage Continues Fri, 04 November 2005 01:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My first thoughts are it's an ignition problem. The fact that the engine last ran properly after you changed the dizzy cap is the first clue, and the popping while idling (misfiring) is another clue.

1. Have you tried experimenting with different plug gaps? I've found my 2JZ is quite sensitive to this, get it wrong and it runs like total crap similar to your description. I'm currently running less than the factory gap spec.

2. Can you borrow a stronger ignition module (eg one of those CDI things) to see if that makes a difference?

3. Do you have a way of checking the ignition timing while the engine is under load (on a dyno I guess)? This will tell you if the ignition advance is erratic or too retarded/advanced at high rpm. My 2JZ has NO power when it goes into safety-mega-retard mode.

That's all I can think of for now... food for thought.
ke382TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Project Decade Sage Continues Fri, 04 November 2005 01:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just an idea (as it seems you have checked a lot of possibilities), have you checked the cam timing? Has anyone changed the cam timing belt and possibly fitted it incorrectly (even a tooth out?).

Good luck.
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Project Decade Sage Continues Fri, 04 November 2005 01:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks guys, appreciate anything you guys can give, it's just really getting to me, I'm almost at the stage where i'm going to crack it and get a Microtech, but there really can only be a small problem causing this, it runs alright, so I can't see it being major.

The O2 sensor is a possibility, does anyone know the procedure for testing it? That said, I wouldn't have thought it would be used under WOT.

I'm leaning towards an ignition problem too, whether it's a component problem or a signal problem i'm unsure. I tried a 0.8mm plug gap before, but it seemed to run no different. I've currently got a 1.1mm plug gap as that's what the new plugs were pre-gapped at. Seems to be working for Hydra, and shouldn't be an issue at idle I wouldn't have thought.

Can't really borrow a stronger ignition module, that said, it shouldn't be a problem at idle.

Not really got a way to test the WOT ignition timing, I spose that might be one of the few things I can't test myself.

I've checked the cam timing previously and it hasn't been changed since it was running perfectly before. I might check on the weekend to see if it has slipped a tooth when I run out of other things to check.

Keep em coming guys, I'm compiling a list of what's left. If I can't get it going this weekend i'm going to probably give up.

Does anyone know what earths are on the 1G engine itself?
love ke70
Regular

September 2005
Re: Project Decade Sage Continues Fri, 04 November 2005 01:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok this is probably a very long shot but:
does it use water to any extent?
u may have a head gasket on the way out, happened to a car i was workin on, ran like absolute shit, and basically what happens is it lets a little bit of water into the cylinder which sometimes hits the spark plug, so it doesnt ignite.
makes it appear to be an ignition issue and causes the misfiring and back firing. anywho just a suggest
g/l mate
~andrew~
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Project Decade Sage Continues Fri, 04 November 2005 01:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hmm, haven't noticed it using any water. I will check though, cheers, it's another avenue to investigate.
Lambolica
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: Project Decade Sage Continues Fri, 04 November 2005 02:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Going on from Norbies Idea of timing....

I recently pulled a 1G out of a car that had 67,xxx kms on the clock and started pulling the engine down.

When I pulled the timing belt cover off pull the wiring loom off the engine I noticed the part of the loom that goes from the Plenum side across to the Dizzy side under the timing cover had signs of wear on it. ie you could see bare copper on 3 or 4 separate wires.

I didn't investigate what it was rubbing on but it was definatly wearing and this would affect wiring to/from dizzy, AFM, 02, and anything else that feeds from that side.

Can any body say long shot?
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Project Decade Sage Continues Fri, 04 November 2005 02:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lambolica wrote on Fri, 04 November 2005 10:13

Can any body say long shot?

I vaguely remember something like this on mine, I just made sure it was all taped up. Definetly something to look at though!
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Project Decade Sage Continues Fri, 04 November 2005 02:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
1.1mm seems to be gneral toyota recommended, but every performance workshop I've spoken to reckons 0.8mm is a much better number for pretty much any turbo engine...
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Project Decade Sage Continues Fri, 04 November 2005 02:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The 1G is *supposed* to have 0.8mm gap and platinum plugs. Shouldn't matter at idle though.
stradlater
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Project Decade Sage Continues Fri, 04 November 2005 05:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I know squat about fuel injected cars, given that I run LPG, but that sounds very much like an electronic gremlin. Idle being that far out would tend to suggest ICSV, popping on on decel/idle means running rich, possible again ICSV/ICSV connection.

Considering the fact that you changed the dizzy over and it worked fine, and then suddenly after sitting and probably enduring some form of weather, it didn't work, it's probably an electrical thing SOMEWHERE...
Lambolica
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: Project Decade Sage Continues Fri, 04 November 2005 05:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
"Borrow" someone elses loom and test?
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Project Decade Saga Continues Fri, 04 November 2005 05:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
That one is a wee bit difficult, and if I was going to do that, i'd just bite the bullet and get my Microtech Razz
munki
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: Project Decade Saga Continues Fri, 04 November 2005 05:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
have you done a compression check?
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Project Decade Saga Continues Fri, 04 November 2005 06:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yes, and they were all around the 155psi mark stone cold.
BlackSupra
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: Project Decade Saga Continues Fri, 04 November 2005 11:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Are you 100% positive your custom loom is correct?
82MKII
Regular

July 2003
Re: Project Decade Saga Continues Fri, 04 November 2005 14:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Whilst it is running try giving ALL (ie all underbonnet + ECU plugs) your connectors a wiggle (ie slow rotation). I wouldn't be surprised if there is something wrong with just one pin in one connector that is stuffing things up.
A mate of mine had a Starion that would cut out whenever underbonnet temps got high. It turned out to be a the +ve feed for the injectors going high resistance due to the connector not making properly.

Peter
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Project Decade Saga Continues Fri, 04 November 2005 23:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSupra wrote on Fri, 04 November 2005 19:35

Are you 100% positive your custom loom is correct?

Correct yes. 100% working, no. The soldering iron I used to do them is questionable. It wouldn't surprise me if something has a bad connection.
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Project Decade Saga Continues Fri, 04 November 2005 23:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
82MKII wrote on Fri, 04 November 2005 22:15

Whilst it is running try giving ALL (ie all underbonnet + ECU plugs) your connectors a wiggle (ie slow rotation). I wouldn't be surprised if there is something wrong with just one pin in one connector that is stuffing things up.
A mate of mine had a Starion that would cut out whenever underbonnet temps got high. It turned out to be a the +ve feed for the injectors going high resistance due to the connector not making properly.

Peter

Sounds definetly feasible, i'll add it to the list of things to check today.
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Project Decade Sage Continues Sat, 05 November 2005 00:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
justcallmefrank wrote on Fri, 04 November 2005 12:57

The 1G is *supposed* to have 0.8mm gap and platinum plugs. Shouldn't matter at idle though.

You have tried plug gaps between 0.8 and 1.1 haven't you?

I've tried both extremes without any issues.
Gleno28
Regular

August 2004
Re: Project Decade Saga Continues Sat, 05 November 2005 00:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You could also check the plugs on the ecu, make sure the plugs AND wires are right in. I had a problem with my 1G, plugs were in but a couple of wires weren't making full contact, they were a bit sloppy in the plugs, just give the wires a push in each too.
Good Luck
Glen.
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Project Decade Saga Continues Sat, 05 November 2005 00:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Gleno28 wrote on Sat, 05 November 2005 08:21

You could also check the plugs on the ecu, make sure the plugs AND wires are right in. I had a problem with my 1G, plugs were in but a couple of wires weren't making full contact, they were a bit sloppy in the plugs, just give the wires a push in each too.
Good Luck
Glen.

That's a definite possibility too, i might push all of them in nice and tight, I know the plugs themselves are snapped into the connectors, but I didn't check the individual wires.
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Project Decade Sage Continues Sat, 05 November 2005 00:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
HyDrA wrote on Sat, 05 November 2005 08:13

You have tried plug gaps between 0.8 and 1.1 haven't you?

Yep, and you were my basis for comparison Razz
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Project Decade Saga Continues Sat, 05 November 2005 23:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
We now have a 4GA earth cable running to the chassis, a 4GA cable running to the engine block and an 8GA cable running between head and chassis...result?

I have some massive earth cables and no improvement, back to the list Mad

[Updated on: Sat, 05 November 2005 23:20]

justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Project Decade Saga Continues Sun, 06 November 2005 02:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Checked all the voltages at the ECU pins as per the sheet, everything in spec, except for the AFM, but it's exactly the same as a perfect running GZ20 my mate has.

I checked the wiring from the ECU pins to each of the pins on the dizzy and igniter connectors, all less than 1 ohm.

Gave each of the connectors a wiggle while it was running, nothing made it change. Gave the wiring near the ECU a little tug. Didn't do anything.
kewp
Regular

March 2004
Re: Project Decade Saga Continues Sun, 06 November 2005 03:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Collapsed catalytic convertor?
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Project Decade Saga Continues Sun, 06 November 2005 03:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It's brand new.
love ke70
Regular

September 2005
Re: Project Decade Saga Continues Sun, 06 November 2005 03:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
did u check ur head gasket?
maybe just tighten her up a little
the headgasket played up after i topped up the coolant in the car i mentioned, if u have tried just ignore me, but it is definitely worth a shot
~andrew~
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Project Decade Saga Continues Sun, 06 November 2005 03:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm going to give it another compression test this arvo to check out ze head gasket. It seems strange because it came good one night, then went back to being shit. Ah well. Time shall tell.
Gleno28
Regular

August 2004
Re: Project Decade Saga Continues Sun, 06 November 2005 04:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Another thing that kinda worked once for me was unplugging the ecu for a few minutes to reset it. is it factory? that should clear the old codes, take it for a drive and see what new ones it brings up
worth a try if you haven't yet...
Glen.
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Project Decade Saga Continues Sun, 06 November 2005 04:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've tried resetting the ECU, doesn't throw any codes. Does anyone here have a multimeter, a working 1GGTE and a desire to check something for me?
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Project Decade Saga Continues Sun, 06 November 2005 04:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the chugging and smoke when starting.

is the smoke from fuel?
the chugging could be far too much fuel, and struggling to ignite (does it have a cold start injector?)
(i had this with MS when cranking and afterstart were too high)
if you have cold start injector, check the injector itself (disconnect plug, se what happens) and then check the temp switch for it to see if it switching off... it could be intermittently turning back on...

the lumbering then revving sound slike fuel being cleared out, then it starts firing properly, but ISCV has already opened up to let air in.. so rpm shoots up??

varying idle. ISCV not functional, not adjusted correctly, or else there is vac leak somewhere... the 7K ISCV can be rotated to set a sort of base idle speed, and there is a fair adjustmet either way (which is only maybe 20-30deg rotation)

mising idle and power dwn sound to me like it could be ignition..
what plugs and what heat range ar you using?

on my 4K (yar, i know it's abotu as far away as you can get for an analogy Razz).... putting HEI on turned a popping missing idle into perfectly smooth... it also cured issues with occasional missing all the way thru rpm range.. felt more... solid.

i also had isues with plug gap. 0.75-0.8 seemed to be best. bigger caused idle missing, and from about... 4000-4500 (after all advance was in?) it would start missing a bit... at highway speed it was well down on power with a bigger plug gap.

i have also seen ppl have these issues with a dud ballast resistor on the coil.. reducing the voltage too much to the coil, and giving weak sparks..

how is the rotor in the dizzy? is it the correct one? is it worn?

umm umm...

you are not running optimax are you? Wink i have had similar issues with idle and lack of power quite a few times after filling up with opticraps... and a friend with ninja600 also had similar issues.... so one day we filled up at same servo same time... and same issues Wink have never gone back to shell Razz ... mobil 8000, bp's ..stuff.... even caltex vortex.. (almost) anything except opticraps...
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Project Decade Saga Continues Sun, 06 November 2005 04:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oh.. fuel filter?
fuel pickup in the tank??
fuel pressure??
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Project Decade Saga Continues Sun, 06 November 2005 05:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks Stew...lemme see if I can get through this.

New fuel filter. Fuel pickup seemed clean when I put it back in. Haven't checked fuel pressure, leaving that for pro.

The smoke could be fuel or oil, haven't really had a good look. It does have a cold start injector, but i've had it running outside the inlet manifold and it definetly turns off when it's supposed to.

Plugs are NGK's, standard version instead of the platinums they're supposed to have.

ISCV appears to be functioning correctly, having it unplugged makes the revs go nuts. You can also hear it clicking off.

Rotor in the dizzy is okay, better than the one that was originally in there, and swapping it did nothing to improve anything, so i'm assuming the old one was working fine.

We don't have Optimax here Wink Only fed on a diet of Ultimate 98.
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Project Decade Saga Continues Sun, 06 November 2005 06:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nothing I've done seems to bring any solutions. I almost know this stupid thing back to front but i'm still no closer to getting it working. I'm just going to have to bite the bullet and send it to a pro, man I hate doing this... Crying or Very Sad
Airbrushguy
Occasional Poster

June 2005

Re: Project Decade Saga Continues Sun, 06 November 2005 06:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I ran my old 1G-GTE with out the O2 sensor pluged in this made it run heaps more fuel but not to the extent that it made smoke like what your speaking of, made it possible for extra boost.

Just un-plug it and see how it runs, this is one way to eliminate it if it runs.

I would be checking fuel prsesure and the presure regulator, if this is stuffed it will put everything out of wack.

oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Project Decade Saga Continues Sun, 06 November 2005 06:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
fat lotta help i was then Razz
ummm....
i guess Norbies idea then.. stick it on dyno and check AFM and ignition.. see whats happening Sad
suxors...
love ke70
Regular

September 2005
Re: Project Decade Saga Continues Sun, 06 November 2005 06:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lol i know how u feel mate
had to take my car in yesterday coz there is a itsy bitsy issue in my wiring somewhere which makes the a/c switch on when u turn the fan up to speed 3 and makes the indicators come on permanently
i know how bloody annoying it is so i'd just give it over to a pro and let them yell "why arnt u working properly you effing piece of shit" rather than u doing it
g/l anyways mate
~andrew~
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Project Decade Saga Continues Sun, 06 November 2005 06:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
O2 sensor should only affect cruise.... shoudln't be used for idle or WOT....
but ya never know...

it should flick from high to low volts (like.. 0.2 to 0.8 maybe) when cruising, to show that the ECU is correcting fuel rich and lean)
brett_celicacoupe
Forums Junkie

February 2004
Re: Project Decade Saga Continues Sun, 06 November 2005 12:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
my 1ggte also pops at idle. another thing with mine is that it throws so much water out the exhaust.

something you might like to check is if there is any thrown shims.
love ke70
Regular

September 2005
Re: Project Decade Saga Continues Sun, 06 November 2005 12:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well this mite sound like im gettin a bit repetitive but water out the exhaust mite suggest leaking h/g

frank (its wat we call u rite?)wat colour cloud of smoke do u get on startup, if its white would suggest water, anywho thats enough from me and my narrow mind Razz
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Project Decade Saga Continues Sun, 06 November 2005 13:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
water out the exhaust is almost alwasy caused by condenstion in the exhaust, as opposed the HG leak..

when the exhaust is warm enough, no water will drip out, not even if there was a HG leak.... almost all cars drip or gush water when the exhaust is cold... depending on shape of the rear muffler....

you could always stck a multi on the O2 sensor and see if it goes drastically rich or lean when said probs ocur...
EldarO
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: Project Decade Saga Continues Sun, 06 November 2005 16:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
His name is Nathan, not Frank.

Its most likely not a BHG, since the car ran fine for a little while, stop with that.

Nathan, you said your soldering iron was questionable, i would think that this would be the source of your problem.

If you think/know the connections are dodgy, and this problem appears to be an electrical issue, then i suggest you go over it with a fine tooth comb, its not like the auto sparky wont have to do the exact same thing.

check and double check everything.... aldditionally, you could get it dyno'd to get a better idea of whats going on.

Eldar.O.
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Project Decade Saga Continues Sun, 06 November 2005 22:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I don't know what the deal is with the stupid thing Smile It does do water out the exhaust, but as Stew said it's just condensation, and once she's warm it'll stop.

This morning she wasn't popping out the exhaust, it did idle at ~2000rpm for most of my journey to work as well though Razz That said, she was hauling ass on high and low boost.

Oh, and you can call me Nathan or Frank, I don't mind either way Smile

I've been through all my connections, I've tested to make sure all the earths are good. I can't see them being dodgy any more. The important ones are all in the fuse box, and they're the ones i'm not overly concerned about, they were done well, and they're all heatshrunk nice and tight.

I even tested the wires between the dizzy plug and the ECU plug, and the igniter plug and the ECU plug. Hell, I even tested the wires between the dizzy plug and all the other ones on that side of the loom to make sure nothing was shorting!

The thing that never made sense was that the car would always run right for a particular drive. It would never stuff up half way through a drive. It's like yesterday arvo, I fired it up and it ran crappy. Pulling #1 lead off barely affected the idle. Same for the #1 injector. Do the same for say #6 and chug chug chug. Move it out the front, start it 5 minutes later and vroom, 6 cylinder XX. Meh, the pros will know, they have millions of dollars worth of equipment I dont.

I'm over it now, it ran like a demon this morning which was fun, and I've resolved myself to the fact I'm going to take it to someone with more experience than me. I will keep everyone posted on how it goes. Thanks to all for their suggestions.
ViPeR_NiPPleX
Forums Junkie

July 2003
Re: Project Decade Saga Continues Sun, 06 November 2005 22:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Are the wires from the dizzy VR pickups, are they insulated from noise? The ecu might be getting false triggers?? Confused

Other than that, I haven't a clue... hows ur airfilter?

cheers,
James
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Project Decade Saga Continues Sun, 06 November 2005 22:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The dizzy signal should be isolated from noise by some shielding yes. That said, that's one of the things I can't really check myself because I don't have a CRO.

Air filter is a newie. Smile
Gleno28
Regular

August 2004
Re: Project Decade Saga Continues Sun, 06 November 2005 23:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tried swapping/replacing knock sensors?
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Project Decade Saga Continues Mon, 07 November 2005 00:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Knock sensors no. Haven't tried them as they aren't really something I can check myself.

Well, it's booked in for tomorrow. *sigh* Ah well, I'm just visualising the smile on my face when it comes back working.
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Project Decade Saga Continues Thu, 10 November 2005 10:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
This car officially sucks the massive dong. The EFI place pretty much tested everything they could without a dyno, to no avail. They tested the ISCV, and it came up dodge.

So, I replace the ISCV, expecting good things. It's improved the idle sure, about *this* much. Real test will be cold start.

My most favourite bit though, is the top end, instead of just hesitating at 5000rpm, it has a big splutter and a backfire.

GOOD F'ING TIMES

No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No

The last pieces I wanted before I got a Microtech arrived yesterday, i'm seriously considering just getting it now.
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Project Decade Saga Continues Thu, 10 November 2005 13:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
have you ever tested the temp response of the temp sensors? both air and coolant?
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Project Decade Saga Continues Thu, 10 November 2005 23:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
As in tested the values of the sensors at each temperature? Yeah, checked them out, both at the ECU, and I've actually had them out to measure the resistance.
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: Project Decade Saga Continues Thu, 10 November 2005 23:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Feel sorry for you mate. If there is something wrong with the electrical system now and the microtech uses the stock sensors, are you sure it will fix the problem?

Either way, I think the tunability of an aftermarket ecu plus you don't need any guages to read things is a big plus Smile
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Project Decade Saga Continues Thu, 10 November 2005 23:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The sensors all appear fine when checked individually. Plus, I'd be ruling out the loom issue when I get a new loom.
Enchanter
Regular

July 2005
Re: Project Decade Saga Continues Fri, 11 November 2005 10:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Are they correct injectors ?
Have you seen the engine run well before or was it a front cut?

justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Project Decade Saga Continues Fri, 11 November 2005 12:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
They are the correct injectors. Last time I saw it running right was in my car.
c2888
Regular

May 2002

Re: Project Decade Saga Continues Sat, 12 November 2005 05:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
This one time we were short on cash and tried to run copper plugs in my friends 7mgte poopra to clear up a slight misfire. Didn't like it one bit and made it worse, ended up with 6 fouled plugs. We chucked the old grotty platinums back in and it was running smoothish again all 6 cylinders but dropping one every so often.

I don't see why coppers didn't work for us, but something else to try.

dan
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Project Decade Saga Continues Tue, 15 November 2005 22:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well after regapping the plugs to 0.8mm (which seemed to achieve nothing) and fiddling with the idle screws, we have almost an acceptable idle of around 900-1100rpm. Not perfect, but at the limit of my care factor.

After reading about knock control all of yesterday, I decided it would be a good idea to disconnect my knock sensors, drive home and see if the problem improved. I figured it would just throw a code. I was wrong. After removing one wire, and snapping the other one off (oops!) I drove off, and I've never experienced limp mode quite like this. It was slower than the RA60, and was even slower on boost. Keeping up with traffic was nigh on impossible.

Quick stop off to DSE on the way home, picked up some shielded coax cable and took it home. $5 and 45 minutes later I started the car with it's new wiring, revved it to 2000rpm, and no code, signs are good.

Quick test spin on way out showed it would pull to redline in 2nd quite comfortably. Ventures past 5000rpm in 1st, 2nd and 3rd confirmed it, the knock sensor wiring was rooted. All seems well again...but it still needs more power, so an aftermarket ECU is in order.
stradlater
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Project Decade Saga Continues Wed, 16 November 2005 01:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Your kidding..

All that fucking around was for a knock sensor wire?
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Project Decade Saga Continues Wed, 16 November 2005 01:30 Go to previous message
I wish I was. I knew it would be small, and I knew it would be something hard to test for. It would appear though, that the lengths of coax cable I ran in place of the factory knock sensor wires have worked.

Soo annoying. Knowing my luck though, she'll get worse, touch wood, it's going to be nice to me from now on.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:boss kit
Next Topic:18rg head removal
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 16:15:37 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.008842945098877 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.