Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
havabeer
Forums Junkie

July 2005
help with buying car Fri, 11 November 2005 08:24 Go to next message
i know this isnt right site but hey?

just wondering what are peoples thought's on a 300zx? freind is thinking about buying just seeing if anyone know's the pro's and con's of this type of car.

i've been on a couple of nissan forums and there not very helpful thought'd i'd try the old toymod boys

P.S to anyone who cars i'm ofically a forums junkie now Razz
  Send a private message to this user    
Enchanter
Regular

July 2005
Re: help with buying car Fri, 11 November 2005 08:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well, they are pretty good cars, well ballanced but a tad on the heavy side. Just remember they are getting a bit old and it has likely been put through it paces (ie "pushed hard").

If he likes it and it checks out on areas that you should check when buying any second hand car Id say go for it.

Just remember though, he won't have the same kind of community support (Toymods) unless he buys himself a Toyota Wink

Cheers
SilverGhost
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: help with buying car Fri, 11 November 2005 08:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I came rather close to buying one instead of the 185, but couldnt get over the fact that it was a datsun hehe

seriously though i think they are a cool car, and apparently they continued producing new ones until just a few years back so depending on your mates purse you can pick up one as young as 1997 (i think)
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: help with buying car Fri, 11 November 2005 09:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
anything inside the engine bay is an ABSOLUTE SHIT to work on (including changing headlight globes)
they go pretty hard and are still sexy, but they feel a lot heavier than a mkIV.
havabeer
Forums Junkie

July 2005
Re: help with buying car Fri, 11 November 2005 12:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah he has about 14,000 so about a 1993ish model i think

yeah i've been told that there pretty heavy

i'd get him to get a GT4 but then he'd have a better car then me Wink

i dont think he'll be able to handle something like a 3ltr 6cylc going from a 1.5lt FWD lancer to a big heavy powerfull 300zx, and he already drives like a wanker.

so no common problems in them like the 7M's head gasket or 3s-ge's big end bearing.

any other cars in this sorta "power" range you can think of even a 2.4ltr trying to stay away from turbo aswell...because of insurance purpose's
Mattyredrolla
Occasional Poster

November 2005
Re: help with buying car Fri, 11 November 2005 12:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My brothers mate recently sold his 300zx, he said it was a great car and did not want to sell it. The only problem he found with it is that it over-heated every-now and again. I'm not sure if this car is prone to over-heating or it was just his car?? Confused
Boso_Elvis
Occasional Poster

February 2005
Re: help with buying car Fri, 11 November 2005 13:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mattyredrolla wrote on Fri, 11 November 2005 23:45

The only problem he found with it is that it over-heated every-now and again. I'm not sure if this car is prone to over-heating or it was just his car?? Confused

Not an owner but I've heard that the twin turbo ones particularly have a problem with this. One of the side effects of having a relativley large engine crammed into a small engine bay.

[Updated on: Fri, 11 November 2005 13:58]

xolent
Forums Junkie

October 2004
Re: help with buying car Fri, 11 November 2005 13:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you after a z32 or z31?

I was close in buying a z32, but comparing to the size, weight and boot space of the car, i began to wonder where all the space went.

dad has a z31, it's a shitter imho. I hate it. reaching for the selt belt already pisses me off. But i don't mind driving it sometimes as I cbf warming up my car Smile
Jorrs
Forums Junkie

October 2004
Re: help with buying car Fri, 11 November 2005 13:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeh i had a mechanic tell me they are a very big pain in the arse to work on and expensive also, they are quad cam he said doin a headgasket on one of them was pretty costly
EldarO
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: help with buying car Fri, 11 November 2005 15:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
300zx - teh suck.

tell friend to buy MK3 supra goodness. JZA70 if friend can afford it.

Eldar.O.
havabeer
Forums Junkie

July 2005
Re: help with buying car Fri, 11 November 2005 23:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thanks for the info fella's

can tell you what car he isnt going to get...a skyline

skylines = teh gay
Gerald1
Regular

November 2005
Re: help with buying car Sat, 12 November 2005 11:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mate of mine was working on one and he says it was a pain in the arse to work on. Spent ages trying to install an intercooler. They are nice looking cars but Razz
skylines = lame. all the gangsta homies drive them, makes me sick.

go a toyota, besides the obvious advantages, you friend will have this huge family here to help him when he has any questions.
terra
Regular

July 2005
Re: help with buying car Sat, 12 November 2005 12:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jorrs wrote on Sat, 12 November 2005 00:25

yeh i had a mechanic tell me they are a very big pain in the arse to work on and expensive also, they are quad cam he said doin a headgasket on one of them was pretty costly

what does 4 cams have anything to do with headgaskets?
September_Squall
Forums Junkie

March 2005
Re: help with buying car Sat, 12 November 2005 14:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah my cousin's mate's sister's boyfriend is a mechanic (actually works at repco and is 17 years old) and he says...

Having said that, I've heard from a few places that very tight packaging and poorly airflow through the engine bay as a function of the grille and front profile design amongst other things can cause heat dissipation problems and consequential headgasket and other failures when not driven in a manner attentive to these issues.
digitalpho3nix
Regular

June 2004
Re: help with buying car Tue, 15 November 2005 15:17 Go to previous message
Quote:

what does 4 cams have anything to do with headgaskets?

Bigger head area = more 'gasket'
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:STARTING/WEARING IN NEW ENGINE update
Next Topic:so this is what happens when you do up a real super car
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 08:49:33 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.004256010055542 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.