Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
terra
Regular

July 2005
pic of my ghetto cold air intake Thu, 10 November 2005 05:24 Go to next message
gains? nope, its purely for the "i modded my car" factor.

http://iow.free.fr/cai1.jpg
http://iow.free.fr/cai2.jpg
  Send a private message to this user    
beige_bandit
Regular

September 2005
Re: pic of my ghetto cold air intake Thu, 10 November 2005 05:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Laughing Laughing Laughing
I wander what happens when an air filter gets wet? Laughing Laughing Laughing

"IN THE GHETTO" Laughing Laughing
terra
Regular

July 2005
Re: pic of my ghetto cold air intake Thu, 10 November 2005 05:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nothing happens when the filter gets wet.

when it fades to white-ish (K&N filters use white cotton) ill just give it a quick spray with the filter oil.
Shraka
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: pic of my ghetto cold air intake Thu, 10 November 2005 05:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ha ha ha. Oh man, that's gonna be funny when you drive over some shallow water and you get hydralic lock.
ke382TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: pic of my ghetto cold air intake Thu, 10 November 2005 05:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I saw an AE92 with a very similar setup to that once, it was getting a new engine fitted after the doofus drove through a puddle in a storm and his engine ingested a mouthfull of water Laughing Hydraulic LOCK Shocked H20 induction yo!

There are a lot of ghetto mods being posted lately, so I think we can expect a lot of "what do I do I just broke/snapped/bent/lost/melted my..........." threads soon Laughing

CAI asp yo!
time2play
Forums Junkie

On Probation

February 2005
Re: pic of my ghetto cold air intake Thu, 10 November 2005 05:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
so if water gets in my air filter nothing happens?????

i had water go in my previous wrx's air filter (useless f**kin bonnet scoops) and it never idled the same again...........
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: pic of my ghetto cold air intake Thu, 10 November 2005 06:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
time2play wrote on Thu, 10 November 2005 13:58

so if water gets in my air filter nothing happens?????

i had water go in my previous wrx's air filter (useless f**kin bonnet scoops) and it never idled the same again...........

How can water get in your air filter? The two side ones are fake and the middle one is sealed onto the IC!?

As for this thread, You'd do better to mount the filter up a little higher out of the way of water, then run a feed to it.

[Updated on: Thu, 10 November 2005 08:36]

LEVIN GTV
Regular

October 2004
Re: pic of my ghetto cold air intake Thu, 10 November 2005 06:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah dude, thats pretty damn ridiculous!

- Run the filter of a stainless pipe from the throttle body
- either use the current air box, and modify it to put a pod or panel filter in it
- or just run a pod filter with a heat shield
- then run the piping or tubing down to the front guard, preferably not near the wheel.

stradlater
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: pic of my ghetto cold air intake Thu, 10 November 2005 06:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
justcallmefrank wrote on Thu, 10 November 2005 17:01

As for this thread, You'd do better to mount the cooler up a little higher out of the way of water, then run a feed to it.

Mount the cooler up higher?? what Cooler?

Wink
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: pic of my ghetto cold air intake Thu, 10 November 2005 08:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah yeah smartarse. Razz
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: pic of my ghetto cold air intake Thu, 10 November 2005 08:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
my 7m, similar loq mounted filter, full throttle, larginsh revs, hit a deep puddle - STALLED
Skip
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: pic of my ghetto cold air intake Thu, 10 November 2005 09:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Do I see some ghetto cable ties there too?

The air is probably hotter that close to the road Laughing
Hunty
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: pic of my ghetto cold air intake Thu, 10 November 2005 13:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you need a fuck load of water to get hydraulic lock on an engine i used to feed my old 4ac a cup of water straight down the carby to err "steam clean" the engine Razz tho it did stop the run on i was having with it Smile id say if it did pick up some water it would just stall it at worst.

but yeh theres a reason why theres a thing called an airbox and its not JUST for noise/cost factors Razz

my cold air intake is only slightly less ghetto than that but i made.....well...bent / mangled some aluminium into a box...kinda and then ran a feed from the front bumper up the box and shoved it right down the pod filters mouth. Works insanely good compared to having an open pod just hanging off the throttle body. measured intake temps are at most 2 or 3c above ambient.

i did some ruff maths assuming that for every 4c drop in air intake temp you gain a 1% power increase

so example:- air intake temp 60c - assumed power output 100kw

drop the air intake temp to 20c ie 40c drop (40/4=10) 10 *1%= 10%

new air intake temp 20c - assumed power output 100kw + 10% =110kw

no idea what im going on about really im just pretty just rambling on shit coz im tired

goin to bed laters!
terra
Regular

July 2005
Re: pic of my ghetto cold air intake Thu, 10 November 2005 20:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hunty wrote on Fri, 11 November 2005 00:02

you need a fuck load of water to get hydraulic lock on an engine i used to feed my old 4ac a cup of water straight down the carby to err "steam clean" the engine Razz tho it did stop the run on i was having with it Smile id say if it did pick up some water it would just stall it at worst.

but yeh theres a reason why theres a thing called an airbox and its not JUST for noise/cost factors Razz

my cold air intake is only slightly less ghetto than that but i made.....well...bent / mangled some aluminium into a box...kinda and then ran a feed from the front bumper up the box and shoved it right down the pod filters mouth. Works insanely good compared to having an open pod just hanging off the throttle body. measured intake temps are at most 2 or 3c above ambient.

i did some ruff maths assuming that for every 4c drop in air intake temp you gain a 1% power increase

no idea what im going on about really im just pretty just rambling on shit coz im tired

goin to bed laters!

your math is pretty much right. its a good way to judge gains.

as for hydro lock, my engien doesnt draw strong enough. i took teh filter off dunked it in a tub of water and my engine stalled, not from water but from lack of air.

you need to be fully submerged for hydrolock to happen.

it was raining all night, the intake is bone dry on the inside. although the filter needs a new coat of filter oil, its getting grey where the water has washed it all off Razz

[Updated on: Thu, 10 November 2005 20:17]

beige_bandit
Regular

September 2005
Re: pic of my ghetto cold air intake Thu, 10 November 2005 21:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It must be alright then if its only wet on the outside Surprised

So how often do you have to re-oil it?
buddy your "TOP BANANA"! Rolling Eyes

illuminatus
Forums Junkie

March 2005
Re: pic of my ghetto cold air intake Thu, 10 November 2005 22:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
terra wrote on Fri, 11 November 2005 07:08

Hunty wrote on Fri, 11 November 2005 00:02

goin to bed laters!

your math is pretty much right. its a good way to judge gains.

as for hydro lock, my engien doesnt draw strong enough. i took teh filter off dunked it in a tub of water and my engine stalled, not from water but from lack of air.

you need to be fully submerged for hydrolock to happen.

it was raining all night, the intake is bone dry on the inside. although the filter needs a new coat of filter oil, its getting grey where the water has washed it all off Razz

try reving it up to 7k and (youll need a freind to help) dunking the airfilter in a bucket of water.
feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: pic of my ghetto cold air intake Thu, 10 November 2005 23:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
illuminatus wrote on Fri, 11 November 2005 08:05

try reving it up to 7k and (youll need a freind to help) dunking the airfilter in a bucket of water.

take a video of that for sure..

anyways, GO the ghetto mods. Smile
Shraka
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: pic of my ghetto cold air intake Fri, 11 November 2005 01:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You'd only have to hit a puddle up to just half way up the wheels and it'd hydro lock. That's not that deep.

Having your pod there would mean:
- Deap water = dead engine (not just not so good now, but dead... bent rods)
- lots of dust and crap getting all over your air filter from the road. You'd have to clean it so much more than if you had it further up.
- Water getting on the air filter is bad. If to much gets through, it'll cause problems for your engine. Even if it doesn't get through, it'll block your airfilter up and cause flow issues. Hunty, I dunno how the hell your engine managed to survive you putting that much water in it!

Either mod your standard airbox and run some cold air piping off it and put some heat sheilding around it, or make your own airbox. Come on it's not that hard.

My airbox actualy has factory CAI. Gotta love Honda. Wink
terra
Regular

July 2005
Re: pic of my ghetto cold air intake Fri, 11 November 2005 03:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shraka wrote on Fri, 11 November 2005 12:29

You'd only have to hit a puddle up to just half way up the wheels and it'd hydro lock. That's not that deep.

- lots of dust and crap getting all over your air filter from the road. You'd have to clean it so much more than if you had it further up.
- Water getting on the air filter is bad. If to much gets through, it'll cause problems for your engine. Even if it doesn't get through, it'll block your airfilter up and cause flow issues. Hunty, I dunno how the hell your engine managed to survive you putting that much water in it!

Either mod your standard airbox and run some cold air piping off it and put some heat sheilding around it, or make your own airbox. Come on it's not that hard.

im to ghetto for that.. and my motor dont rev to 7000rpm Razz
i cant ataully run it to the front of the car because theres no frontal facing vent that i can get to.

avtaully ran a worse set up on a lancer for years with no problems..

oh and i did runthough a big... erm.. 10 cm of water at 100kph (fwoah dont do that too often i usually avoid that shit) and its still fine.

[Updated on: Fri, 11 November 2005 03:06]

Shraka
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: pic of my ghetto cold air intake Fri, 11 November 2005 03:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
terra wrote on Fri, 11 November 2005 14:01

i cant ataully run it to the front of the car because theres no frontal facing vent that i can get to.

*cough* 8100rpm *cough*
old_mr2
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: pic of my ghetto cold air intake Fri, 11 November 2005 17:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hehe ghetto power

[Updated on: Sat, 12 November 2005 12:13]

BlackGT4
Regular

February 2005
Re: pic of my ghetto cold air intake Sat, 12 November 2005 02:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hunty wrote on Fri, 11 November 2005 00:32

you need a fuck load of water to get hydraulic lock on an engine i used to feed my old 4ac a cup of water straight down the carby to err "steam clean" the engine Razz

hhahaa, i just bought an ae80 recently. so if i put water thru the carby this will steam clean my engine???
sounds interesting.
Mr DOHC
Forums Junkie

October 2002

Re: pic of my ghetto cold air intake Sat, 12 November 2005 06:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
just jam the garden hose down there, that will create alot of steam
domasik
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: pic of my ghetto cold air intake Sat, 12 November 2005 13:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
u call that ghetto

check out my mates Rav 4 with custom snokel and water cooled alternator!

http://www.fluidzone.com/liddertown/pics/ghetto.jpg
-=DV=-
Regular

May 2004
Re: pic of my ghetto cold air intake Sat, 12 November 2005 13:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thats...................interesting..........
terra
Regular

July 2005
Re: pic of my ghetto cold air intake Sat, 12 November 2005 17:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
it points down?
old_mr2
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: pic of my ghetto cold air intake Sun, 13 November 2005 12:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
looks like he's run into something! But what???
Mr Savage
Newcomer

August 2005
Re: pic of my ghetto cold air intake Mon, 14 November 2005 03:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ran into fun?
towe_001
Forums Junkie

August 2004
Re: pic of my ghetto cold air intake Wed, 16 November 2005 12:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
domasik wrote on Sun, 13 November 2005 00:33

u call that ghetto

check out my mates Rav 4 with custom snokel and water cooled alternator!

http://www.fluidzone.com/liddertown/pics/ghetto.jpg

Now thats ghetto Cool
Merudo
Forums Junkie

February 2005

Re: pic of my ghetto cold air intake Wed, 16 November 2005 13:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mr Savage wrote on Mon, 14 November 2005 14:01

ran into fun?

ahahaha indeed

ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: pic of my ghetto cold air intake Wed, 16 November 2005 13:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shraka wrote on Fri, 11 November 2005 14:03

terra wrote on Fri, 11 November 2005 14:01

*cough* 8100rpm *cough*

erm... whats your point?
so your engine revs to 8100rpm... and his doesn't? wooooooooo hot dog!

too bad its not a B18C7 eh? Wink
Shraka
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: pic of my ghetto cold air intake Wed, 16 November 2005 23:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ae86drift wrote on Thu, 17 November 2005 00:19

erm... whats your point?
so your engine revs to 8100rpm... and his doesn't? wooooooooo hot dog!

Rolling Eyes My point is that he was saying his engine doesn't rev to 7000rpm, implying that that's where my engine revs to.

ae86drift wrote on Thu, 17 November 2005 00:19

...too bad its not a B18C7 eh? Wink

No actualy. The B18C2 makes peak torque lower in the revs and a smoother middle band. Some have found the B18C2 is actualy a bit quicker in a line than the B18C7, although I'd imagine that's in a 0-100km/h sprint, when low end matters, and not in the higher gears. It also makes for a smoother day driver, which is what this car is.
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: pic of my ghetto cold air intake Thu, 17 November 2005 00:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
As far as i know the type R shits on the VTIR in terms of 0-100kmph, and meh comparing torque between a 1.6L and a 1.8L lol answer neither produces much at anything resembling low rpms. Smile

[Updated on: Thu, 17 November 2005 00:04]

Shraka
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: pic of my ghetto cold air intake Thu, 17 November 2005 00:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Corona RT142 wrote on Thu, 17 November 2005 11:04

As far as i know the type R shits on the VTIR in terms of 0-100kmph, and meh comparing torque between a 1.6L and a 1.8L lol answer neither produces much at anything resembling low rpms. Smile

Yeah 'cuz you're such an expert on Hondas. Rolling Eyes You can't even get the displacement right. They're both 1.8ltrs. Hence the B18C2 and B18C7. Hell they're both the same engine, just different generations.

I got this info off a guy who owns a VTiR and has run against Type Rs a few times. But I'll get around to actualy taking on a Type R so I can have first hand experience sometime.
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: pic of my ghetto cold air intake Thu, 17 November 2005 00:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I was talking about the comparison between the 4age and stupid HONDAH motors Wink , any how lets see Type R weighs less 16 extra kw more torque pretty sure it'll beat the VTIR.
clubagreenie
Forums Junkie

November 2002

Re: pic of my ghetto cold air intake Thu, 17 November 2005 10:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skip wrote on Thu, 10 November 2005 20:09

Do I see some ghetto cable ties there too?

The air is probably hotter that close to the road Laughing

Cable ties aren't ghetto, garbage bag twist ties are though.
raaf86
Regular

June 2005
Re: pic of my ghetto cold air intake Fri, 18 November 2005 07:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
does anyone else have any getto mods they want to share? this could be interesting.
b1gb3n
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

June 2004
Re: pic of my ghetto cold air intake Sun, 20 November 2005 17:18 Go to previous message
Shraka wrote on Fri, 11 November 2005 12:59

wouldnt water halfway up ur wheels be almost as high as ur doors?? ie water would almost get in when u open doors?? halfway up the wheel is quite alot of water if u ask me Rolling Eyes

i dont think a wet airfilter by itself is very bad for engine. when i clean my k&n filter, i CBF waiting for it to dry. i just shake the water off, start my engine and then put the filter on. guess the water would go in as vapour pass the filter, ie more ambient air, ie more O2?? Very Happy
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:K&N pod cleaning kit ????
Next Topic:Where to take wheels to be modified
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 18:55:09 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.006331205368042 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.