Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
cri_ag
Regular

August 2002
engineering Sun, 23 February 2003 10:09 Go to next message
do i have to engineer a 86kw 4age in a sprinter? from what ive read of the rta guidelines it sounds like all i have to do is get the engine number changed is that correct?

what about a 4agze? does that have to be engineered? again from what i can understand it does not.

PS. im talking about in NSW

thanks

craig
  Send a private message to this user    
Bugman
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: engineering Sun, 23 February 2003 10:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
4agze definatly, it's had forced induction added. now from what I've heard some people have snuck 4age's past but I think it may need a engineers report too. I'm sure other will tll you soon enough
clubagreenie
Forums Junkie

November 2002

Re: engineering Sun, 23 February 2003 10:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
<15% capacity increase = no cert unless forced induction

> 15% or engine from different mfct or forced induction then cert is rqd.

Her's an excerpt from vsi09

Do I need an engineering signatory for minor modifications?
Vehicle modifications fall into three distinct categories:
? ?Owner certified? minor modifications which can be accepted for registration purposes without
formal certification;
? ?Engineering signatory certified? modified production vehicles; and
? ?Engineering signatory certified? individually constructed vehicles.
Owner certified minor modifications are generally those modifications which were optional equipment
for the vehicle concerned. Owner certified modifications also include some non-standard modifications
of a minor nature which do not affect the level of safety, strength or reliability of vital systems such as
brakes and steering. These modifications have little or no impact upon the vehicle?s level of compliance
with the Australian Design Rules.
Examples of minor (owner certified) modifications are:
? engine changes where the capacity increase is less than 15% above the maximum size engine
available for the vehicle (providing no major structural modifications are necessary and where
noise and/or exhaust emission ADRs apply, all standard equipment such as carburettors, exhaust
systems, exhaust gas recirculating valves, oxygen sensors and catalytic convertors relating to
noise and emission control are retained and operate correctly);
? the fitting of a proprietary sunroof (if the modifications are of a minor nature only);
? fitting a ?package? available as optional equipment for the vehicle (eg front disc brakes, power
steering, alternative transmission and bucket or bench seats);
? additional lighting eg: fog & driving lights;
? alternative wheels and tyres within the owner certified limits set by the Authority (see Vehicle
Standards Information Sheet No. 9 Guidelines for Alternative Wheels & Tyres);
? fitting of handling enhancing suspension components such as roll stabiliser bars and up-rated
shock absorbers.

Major modifications which fall outside the category of minor (owner certified) modifications, require submission of certification by an engineering signatory. This is usually in the form of an ?engineering certificate? prepared by the signatory. The original of this certificate is generally required to be submitted to the RTA for notification of the modifications or for registration of the vehicle. The duplicate copy or owners copy is stamped and endorsed by the RTA and must be kept in the vehicle and should be presented to an authorised officer of the RTA or the Police when requested.

Does the RTA require notification of the modifications?
Modifications made to the motor vehicle or its equipment which affect registration details must be reported to a motor registry to ensure that accurate records are maintained.
These details include, year, make, model, variant, shape, engine capacity/number, vehicle identification number/chassis number, tare weight, gross vehicle mass, and aggregate weight.
If the unladen weight has changed, the owner must provide a weighbridge ticket for the vehicle in its new configuration.

I can email you the full doc uf you like let me know

Justin
Dodgy_Haro
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: engineering Sun, 23 February 2003 11:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I had to get my 88kw Blue top engineered and a blue plate stamped in the engine bay.

As far as I understand, if your car model released in Australia did not come standard with the engine, you'll have to get it engineered (or so I was told) as a rough rule of thumb.
dcving
Regular

May 2002

Re: engineering Sun, 23 February 2003 21:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i put a 4age in an ae71 corolla, and just told the rta about the engine number change, they then sent me a letter for the car to go over the pits, & they just had a qiuck look under the bonnet to make sure averthing was sweet and away i went, no engineers report required Cool Cool
cri_ag
Regular

August 2002
Re: engineering Mon, 24 February 2003 07:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
so am i correct in assuming if i swap a 1600 SOHC for a 1600 DOHC there is no capacity increase and therefore no engineer cert required? just a blue slip and change of engine number? please correect me if im wrong.

that Doc would be great thanks Clubagreenie!

thanks
MR PLOW
Forums Junkie

September 2002
Re: engineering Mon, 24 February 2003 10:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
no you dont have to just a number change its like if you were to keep your block and change all the bit over to it head, pistons, crank,etc you wouldnt have to do shit as its still a 4a but injected and then nothing would be needed.but if you feel you want to get it anyways for peice of mind.

brad
Ribbo
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: engineering Mon, 24 February 2003 11:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
technically you need to get it engineered because it is greater than a 15% power increase, its like 50% Smile

Some blue slip places accept just an engine number change, but I have heard of some saying NO.

I got my numbers change from a guy in Brookvale, which shouldn't be far from you, im actually in northern beaches to.

This guy initially told me I needed engineering then I told him its the same series motor and he goes if engine number starts with 4a0 then ur fine..... and it does so $25 later and a trip to RTA, number were changed.... its also passed a pink slip with it in there.

No cop checks under bonnet though yet.
clubagreenie
Forums Junkie

November 2002

Re: engineering Mon, 24 February 2003 13:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The standards only relate to a 15% increase in capacity not power when knowing whether or not you need a cert. The only mention of power is in relation to making sure that other driveline parts are adequate.

The other chart relates to maximum capacity that can be fitted, this varies by original engine, chassis config (full or unitary) and induction. Thats why you can get away with 5.6 litre turbo or 6.5 litre n/a in the crown (except you cant turbo over 3lt).

I went from 2m (2.25 lt, stuff all of about 50hp new I think) to 5mge (twin cam 2.8 lt 145 hp new) only needed engine no blue slip and I took it to RTA first. Friend has fitted 20v to 1968 1600s corona and as the coronas came with a 1600, same deal, didnt even need the supra box engineered as the also came with a 5sp in some models (gt5).

Youd be unluck if you got a cop that knew the difference between the c and the g in the codes, but you could always get a new 4ac sticker for the front engine cover.

Have emailed the doc to you.

justin
EVOSTi
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      no
Re: engineering Tue, 25 February 2003 05:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
not trying to highjack but while we're on the subject...
im putting in a GZE into the sprinter in hte next couple of weeks along with supra box and the hilux 4 spot upgrade. i know i need this engineered but does anyone know what to look out for before i blow all my money? how much and where should i go? will it cost extra for the engineer to include stuff like after market steering wheel and the like just to be safe?

thanks.
cri_ag
Regular

August 2002
Re: engineering Tue, 25 February 2003 07:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sweet thanks for all the replies guys.
ive been told of a "soft" blue slipper in brookvale aswell so its prolly the same one you used ribbo, what color is your sprinter?
Ribbo
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: engineering Fri, 28 February 2003 12:05 Go to previous message
yeah let me know if u want the address and I might be able to find it.

Mine is a blue one with black wheels.... what about urs?
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:What has the same rear springs as aussie ae 86
Next Topic:CFM-Aisan Carbies
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Tue May 14 20:07:16 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0046169757843018 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.