Toymods » General Car Talk » STARTING/WEARING IN NEW ENGINE update

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
havabeer
Forums Junkie

July 2005
STARTING/WEARING IN NEW ENGINE update Sun, 13 November 2005 08:35 Go to next message
hey fella's after about 4 months my celica is just about ready to get going again. 4 months of dust have also collected on it.

i've:
dropped new motor in there ("supposed" to have only done 100K k's)
replaced clutch
replaced engine mounts
replaced gearbox (second hand, but should have good syncro's)
couple of other bits and piece's

just wondering is there anything i should go over before firing her up. and how should i go about wearing this engine in, obvisouly kicking it over and then red lineing it for 5 mins flat wouldnt be a good idea.
but is it ok to say start it up idle it for about 10 mins or so and then it'd be driveable?

[Updated on: Sun, 13 November 2005 10:44]

Send a private message to this user    
STR8 2.8
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: STARTING/WEARING IN NEW ENGINE Sun, 13 November 2005 08:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wearing it in?
i think its 100000km life will have worn it in plenty. Confused
havabeer
Forums Junkie

July 2005
Re: STARTING/WEARING IN NEW ENGINE Sun, 13 November 2005 09:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah but it hasnt been started for who know's how long. i've had it for about 2 and a bit months. dont know how long wreakers has had it.

just after any tips
STR8 2.8
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: STARTING/WEARING IN NEW ENGINE Sun, 13 November 2005 09:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
id pull the rocker cover off and pour some oil over the drive train and into the cylinders, give it a good crank and she's apples.
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: STARTING/WEARING IN NEW ENGINE Sun, 13 November 2005 09:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If it's an EFI engine, pull the EFI fuse and crank it for a little bit, build up some oil pressure and prime all the fuel system. Assuming it's carby, just block the fuel line or something Razz
ST162GT-R
Regular

February 2004
Re: STARTING/WEARING IN NEW ENGINE Sun, 13 November 2005 09:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i'd probably do a engine flush to get rid of any sludge that maybe in the engine.
havabeer
Forums Junkie

July 2005
Re: STARTING/WEARING IN NEW ENGINE Sun, 13 November 2005 09:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah its an EFI gen1 3s-ge
havabeer
Forums Junkie

July 2005
Re: STARTING/WEARING IN NEW ENGINE Sun, 13 November 2005 10:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok just an update. started the car. starts allright (after friging around with a bad earth and couple other things)

its got a bit of smoke coming from underneath the engine round where the extractors meet up with rest of exhaust, but i'm pretty sure thats just spilled oil and other shit on the engine.

number 2 is, once it gets a bit warm...it starts off reving at 1500 builds it way up to 2000 revs and then suddenly drops back down to 1500 again and just keeps doing this.
is this a vacuum line issue, timing maybe? any other suggestions?

i'm so close but yet so far Sad
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: STARTING/WEARING IN NEW ENGINE update Mon, 14 November 2005 01:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Vacuum line, VSV, or a water temp sensor Razz take your pick!
ndgcpr
Forums Junkie

April 2005
Re: STARTING/WEARING IN NEW ENGINE update Mon, 14 November 2005 03:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if its an EFI and only been started for a short time it may just be the ECU getting itself organised. MY ECU does funny things for the first 10 mins or so when you reset it.
dingaling
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: STARTING/WEARING IN NEW ENGINE update Mon, 14 November 2005 07:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
purge your cooling system of air aswell, this plays havoc on the idle.

I wouldn't worry too much if its only been sitting for a couple months.
my 1jz half cut has been sitting for years, started once every 6 months Confused
havabeer
Forums Junkie

July 2005
Re: STARTING/WEARING IN NEW ENGINE update Mon, 14 November 2005 08:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
how do i purge cooling system of air??

yeah i've only run it for about 5 mins and it hasnt had a battery hooked up to it for about 3 months. just dont wanna run it and find out i've fucked something
dingaling
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: STARTING/WEARING IN NEW ENGINE update Mon, 14 November 2005 09:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Park on steep hill with radiator side at higher point. Let cool down if hot.

Take radiator cap off start engine, have deminerilsed water/coolant on hand to refill as needed.

As the engine warms up and opens the thermostat and gets the coolant flowing thru the engine any air in there should find it's way out of the radiator. Also have your heaters running to purge all air.

Top the radiator up as needed and after air stops coming out stick the radiator cap back on. Rocking the car up and down abit helps the air to find it's way out too.
havabeer
Forums Junkie

July 2005
Re: STARTING/WEARING IN NEW ENGINE update Tue, 15 November 2005 19:12 Go to previous message
engine management light told me oxygen sensor? this a good indication to get a new one?
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Job and licence woes...
Next Topic:help with buying car
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 16:52:15 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0047218799591064 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.