Toymods » Tech & Conversions » All those running 4A - Dellows - W58

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Jonoze
Regular

May 2002
All those running 4A - Dellows - W58 Sun, 23 February 2003 22:15 Go to next message
Hey all,

After buying this conversion from a friend and getting about a month of clutch slip free driving, i finally pulled out my clutch on the weekend.

However the actual clutch plate had plenty of meat on it and looked okay. (The pressure plate also later checked out ok)

So i took clutch and pressure plate to the good people of Western Brake and Clutch, St Marys. After explaining what was happening he offered this explaination. Which turned out to be 100% correct.

He told me to measure the height of the clutch assembly from the block (minus distance to springs), then measure the distance from the front of the bellhousing to the thrust bearing, with the fork in the centre of the hole.

These distances should be the same, and it should be possible to move the bearing 10mm in each direction. However my clutch height was 73mm, distance to bearing was 62mm with the fork in the centre of the hole. To achieve the required 73mm the bearing carrier was hitting on the front of the gearbox. Hence giving me no movement in one direction.

Essentially this was causing the clutch to be slightly in all the time, releasing some of the pressure plates calmping force, hence clutch slip.

To rectify this we removed the thrust bearing from the carrier and machined 10mm length from the bearing side of the carrier. We then pressed the bearing back on.

With the fork in the centre of the hole my distance from the front of the bellhousing to the thrust bearing was now 73mm, and i had over 10mm of movement in each direction.

Problem solved and now no more cutch slip.

If you want a drawing or any more info leave an amail address and i'll get back to you.

I would also like to recommend Western Brake and Clutch at St Marys to anyone. Excellent service and good pricing.

Cheers, Jono

Send a private message to this user    
Youngy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: All those running 4A - Dellows - W58 Mon, 24 February 2003 00:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Any info on these Damn Dellows would be good. God knows that Dellow won't help.

email me please Jono: youngy99@hotmail.com

Make the subject obvious as there is a lot of shit in that account...... Rolling Eyes

[Updated on: Mon, 24 February 2003 00:47]

biased99
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: All those running 4A - Dellows - W58 Mon, 24 February 2003 01:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
That's why it should be renamed to "junkmail.com" Laughing
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: All those running 4A - Dellows - W58 Mon, 24 February 2003 02:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm grab the info too! Where else can ya get custom bellhousings?
Jonoze
Regular

May 2002
Re: All those running 4A - Dellows - W58 Mon, 24 February 2003 03:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cool 1...email address...?
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: All those running 4A - Dellows - W58 Mon, 24 February 2003 03:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Doh sorry Embarassed shanej@iinet.net.au
BigWorm
Forums Junkie

Toymods Board Member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: All those running 4A - Dellows - W58 Mon, 24 February 2003 07:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
After I picked up all the stuff from Dellow & took it home & sussed it all out, I realised they had given me the wrong thrust bearing carrier. It was almost twice as long as the one from the T50, and didn't even go completely on to the shaft it slides on.
I took it back to try to explain to the guy, who wanted me to fit it all up & measure how far wrong it was!
Then he pulled out one exactly the same length as the T50 one, and said "well this is the only other one we sell" and after arguing about it more I eventually told him to just give me the shorter one & take the other one back.

It sounds like you've ended up with the wrong one as well, but managed to modify it to suit.
BTW, I have plenty of pics of the dellow kit & T50s & W55s etc if anyone wants them. The only condition is you have to forward them on to the next person that wants them.
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: All those running 4A - Dellows - W58 Mon, 24 February 2003 08:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'll take em joel Very Happy
TE72_Turbo
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: All those running 4A - Dellows - W58 Mon, 24 February 2003 08:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
me too please joel!

philt18@netspeed.com.au

can you bolt the supra bearing carrier & slide assembly with the dellow housing? I cant see the point in paying dellow for all the extra (overpriced) bits that they manufacture for the kit. its enough of a ripoff to pay $475 for a bare bellhousing that in most cases needs modification to be fit for use!

Cheers
BigWorm
Forums Junkie

Toymods Board Member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: All those running 4A - Dellows - W58 Mon, 24 February 2003 10:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hehe, no one would buy them if you didn't have to!
The clutch fork has different pivot point spacing, & the original carrier won't work with the new fork.
Those pics are on there way, I'm just going through them resizing etc
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: All those running 4A - Dellows - W58 Mon, 24 February 2003 12:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Interesting thing this: I too use the W box/dellhousing on my 4ag turbo, and a couple of months ago the clutch just collapsed. The clutch itself still feels fine, hadn't been in there that long, and previously had proved excellent on the T50. I've got a new custom flywheel and superstrong clutch on the way, but I'm gonna go out and check that god damned bearing holder right now. Dellows - enough to make a parson swear Evil or Very Mad Crying or Very Sad Crying or Very Sad Crying or Very Sad
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: All those running 4A - Dellows - W58 Mon, 24 February 2003 12:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dellow dont seem the best place to get a bellhousing made Confused Who else does them? Is it possible to send them a modified housing and get them to copy it?
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: All those running 4A - Dellows - W58 Mon, 24 February 2003 12:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well, I can't quite fit my fat arse under the car without jack+stands (neighbours might disagree, its after midnight), but this does actually feel like it could be the case - I never thought of it. I shortened the pushrod a few weeks ago in search of more clearance (cylinder felt tight), it did nothing. Anyways, I'll letcha's know if mines bodgy too - lets start a class action Very Happy
Jonoze
Regular

May 2002
Re: All those running 4A - Dellows - W58 Mon, 24 February 2003 21:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mrshin,

That sounds very similar to what mine used to be like. The fork was almost hard up against the slave cylinder.
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: All those running 4A - Dellows - W58 Mon, 24 February 2003 21:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Indeed it is. Another thing that concerns me is what a 3500lb pressure plate is going to do to that horrible looking worse-than-exhaust-manifold cast clutch fork. Time shall indeed tell! Evil or Very Mad
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: All those running 4A - Dellows - W58 Mon, 24 February 2003 21:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
also, cool1 if you've got a happily modified housing, you might be able to get it copied by the local casting works - hit the yellow pages. If you want a little more knowledge on the topic, maybe try Castlemaine Rod Shop (03) 5472 2853, maybe Mr. Hadfield is a little more clever than some others!
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: All those running 4A - Dellows - W58 Mon, 24 February 2003 22:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OK I might try them. Thanks.
BigWorm
Forums Junkie

Toymods Board Member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: All those running 4A - Dellows - W58 Tue, 25 February 2003 07:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I got in touch with Rod Hatfield before I got the dellhousing, and he said they could make it but would need an engine block & gearbox to do it, & then it would cost I think $50 an hour or something. If you lived anywhere near Castlemaign it'd prolly be worth it, but I'm sure shipping that sort of stuff around would blow out your costs bigtime.
But maybe they could do it with a 4AGE bellhousing and any supra 5spd bellhousing. Or I'm sure they could do it with a dellhousing, but it's hardly worth copying, it doesn't even have all the bolt holes to the gearbox.

If someone went to the trouble I'm sure it'd be easier for them to duplicate it. Maybe people who need but don't want a dellhousing could get a group buy, spread the costs.....
I wish the rest of us had all done that.
Grega
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002

Re: All those running 4A - Dellows - W58 Tue, 25 February 2003 09:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well i've got a 4AGE block i could drop off there, anyone wanna donate a supra box (loaner) so we can do this?
TE72_Turbo
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: All those running 4A - Dellows - W58 Tue, 25 February 2003 10:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i'd gladly lend the W55 sitting in my shed, but i'm in canberra Crying or Very Sad
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: All those running 4A - Dellows - W58 Wed, 26 February 2003 13:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
There is a jap one available that looks really nice, pretty pricey though...

I actually rang dellows today, didn't get too far. Oh, must be my pivot ball isn't adjusted. And dont worry about the engine angle, these are for kit cars, where engines are mounted without an angle.

Never mind that I had to grind the OUTSIDE of it to get it to fit under the floor of the car in the first place!
Youngy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: All those running 4A - Dellows - W58 Wed, 26 February 2003 22:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
There may be an alternative.

Whilst looking at a thread on Club 4AG on ford boxes behind an 4AGE I found the discussion soon went to W5x boxes behind 4AGEs. There seems to be a place in NZ called Niteparts that makes them.

Might be worth looking into:

http://forums.club4ag.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=18513

Cheers
roger
Regular

June 2002
Re: All those running 4A - Dellows - W58 Thu, 27 February 2003 00:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have a W58 box sitting in bendigo, I can get it droped out to rods hes only 20 k's from bendigo. Bellhousing for the box is for a t series engine ie 3tgteu bellhousing.

I have seen some of rod hatfields bellhousings before and the one I worked on wasn't quite right (Lancruiser box to 308) I am wondering whether they will be that much better than the Dellows housings. Although he did provide good back up with our concerns.

Let me know if you want me to provide the gearbox or just the bellhousing by email.

Roger

TE72_Turbo
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: All those running 4A - Dellows - W58 Thu, 27 February 2003 11:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I got a quote recently from the NZ mob, how does $1181 sound for a bellhousing & clutch fork
Youngy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: All those running 4A - Dellows - W58 Thu, 27 February 2003 12:22 Go to previous message
That does sound a bit expensive, but do you get what you pay for that's the thing. Is it way and above what Dellow offer. It's hard to say really without a side by side comparison.

Mind you, you could just go nuts and make the T50 bomb proof with some quaife gear: http://www.quaife.co.uk/index2.htm

Food for thought

[Updated on: Thu, 27 February 2003 12:26]

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Max pissed
Next Topic:Clutch, and K-series motors?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Tue May 21 03:07:51 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0061678886413574 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.