Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
celikar
Regular

September 2002
cooling turbo engines Thu, 19 September 2002 09:56 Go to next message
Just wondering what the effect of having the thermostat removed will have on my cooling system.

I have a 3tgte in stock form but running 14psi. i also have a davis craig thermo fan running al the time.

will it overheat or run cooler.

cheers Razz
  Send a private message to this user    
GIN51E
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2002

Re: cooling turbo engines Thu, 19 September 2002 10:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if you remove the thermostat it will make it run cooler but you will find you might then have problems getting the engine up to operating temperature
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: cooling turbo engines Thu, 19 September 2002 13:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It will be very difficult to drive on a cold morning Confused
HedgehogSandwich
Regular

May 2002
Re: cooling turbo engines Thu, 19 September 2002 13:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It'll explode.
feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: cooling turbo engines Thu, 19 September 2002 15:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Freak you will find that most cars will actually OVERHEAT with out the thermostat....because there is no restriction (the thermostat) the coolant just keeps flowing and doesnt get a chance to COOL down in the radiator....
GIN51E
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2002

Re: cooling turbo engines Thu, 19 September 2002 22:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hmmm interesting theory, Rolling Eyes but does make sense,

as its hard for the coolant to absorb the heat when its rushing around without a thermostat once it absorbs the heat it then has a problem trying to dissipate it Very Happy
SUPRAGTE
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: cooling turbo engines Thu, 19 September 2002 22:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Feralmr2 is dead right. The temp will just get hotter and hotter, especially if its a water cooled turbo.
The centre opening in the thermostat is sized for a particular flow rate when up to operating temperature to ensure the water doesn't flow too quickly. Operates very similar to a fuel pressure regulator but restricts flow to a certain degree deliberatly.
Smurf.
Newcomer

October 2005
Re: cooling turbo engines Sat, 12 November 2005 11:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The thermostat has been taken out of my 1990 GT4 celica, and it overheats on long trips like to the coast. But the thing is I will fill up radiator, drive around one night for a good while, then next day there is no water in the radiator that I can see. Does the constant flow of heated coolant disappear somehow without the thermostat? Like does the water evaporate or disappear somewhere when you dont have a thermostat and the water/coolant is continously heating and flowing about?

I really need to know this so I can take the next step in fixing my overheating problems.

Many thanks.
STR8 2.8
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: cooling turbo engines Sat, 12 November 2005 11:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Smurf. wrote on Sat, 12 November 2005 22:25

The thermostat has been taken out of my 1990 GT4 celica, and it overheats on long trips like to the coast. But the thing is I will fill up radiator, drive around one night for a good while, then next day there is no water in the radiator that I can see. Does the constant flow of heated coolant disappear somehow without the thermostat? Like does the water evaporate or disappear somewhere when you dont have a thermostat and the water/coolant is continously heating and flowing about?

I really need to know this so I can take the next step in fixing my overheating problems.

Many thanks.

= blown head gasket
shinybluesteel
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002
Re: cooling turbo engines Sat, 12 November 2005 11:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dont pull out your thermostat, get a decent radiator.

nick.parker
Regular

January 2005
Re: cooling turbo engines Mon, 14 November 2005 03:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,
I was intentionally without a thermostart for a while and my coolant temp was all over the place. Always too low, driving on open road on cold night 50 degrees C....stop and idle..temp eventually goes up to radiator thermofan switch on point (82C) drive car....back down to 50-60C again. And this was with an electric coolant pump for which I had some custom 'temperature dependant' speed control for.

I got too worried about the longevity of my engine. So I got a remote mount thermostat and never looked back. My temp is always with 1 degree either side of 77C, unless I stop and idle, obviously then it goes to 82C (rad fan operating) once the system gets heatsoaked...

I'm sure the engine likes to operate near the original thermostat temp - there is a good reason...you know metal expanding with temp etc...

Cheers, Nick.
ndgcpr
Forums Junkie

April 2005
Re: cooling turbo engines Mon, 14 November 2005 05:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
what about suttin a small triangle in the thermostat as i have seen so many times? It constanly flows a small amount and when required can flow more. Would this be of any purpose?
waxE
Regular

June 2002
Re: cooling turbo engines Mon, 14 November 2005 08:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
HedgehogSandwich wrote on Thu, 19 September 2002 21:43

It'll explode.

Laughing Laughing Laughing
dingaling
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: cooling turbo engines Mon, 14 November 2005 08:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you'll see the temp needle drop back down to cold when driving on the highway, your heater won't put put out much heat, and you'll probably wear your engine quicker due to the oil not reaching it's proper viscosity. Not worth it at all.
feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: cooling turbo engines Mon, 14 November 2005 13:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
a thermastat is designed and used for an engine for a reason, do try it.....
(shite, theres that damn Dilmah tea add again). Rolling Eyes
old_mr2
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: cooling turbo engines Mon, 14 November 2005 13:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dilmah tea is goood...
Howieau
Newcomer

November 2005
Re: cooling turbo engines Tue, 15 November 2005 08:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
(From Smurf.)

Im getting a thermostat put in tommorrow, and getting radiator cleaned out thoroughly. Im not sure its a head gasket problem, my brother did a compression test on all 4 cylinders and they turned up fine, there is no oil in the water/water in the oil, radiator dude said he had a look and head gasket seemed fine.

Ive never had the car overheat on me before, though Ive never gone as far as the coast yet (1hr drive). My brother on the other hand has had it overheat twice for him, both long trips. Though I can drive around locally for a few hours and it wont overheat, but when the car is parked and let it cool completely. Therell be a lot of water gone, more if I drive longer. There is absolutely no leaking either, from under the car I have seen none.

Perhaps without the thermostat, the water is continously going around and after filling up radiator to full and going on a long trip (going to coast sitting at 100kms, about 3000rpm) the water becomes very hot, then perhaps its evaporating? Because once the car is cooled, there is no water to be seen. I filled radiator fully and went to airport and back from strathpine on the weekend, there was no overheating but there was no water to be seen in raditor once car had completely cooled.

Perhaps there is a split in a hose that the water is evaporating through?

I only got my GT4 about a week ago, so still have alot to learn, but those are my theories so far.

Any ideas?

[Updated on: Tue, 15 November 2005 08:50]

crazedrt104
Regular

March 2003
Re: cooling turbo engines Tue, 15 November 2005 22:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mate, id start checkin out ye hoses and/or connections for leaks or pin holes that spit out water when engine is up to operating temp/pressure.
Howieau
Newcomer

November 2005
Re: cooling turbo engines Tue, 22 November 2005 07:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
(From Smurf.)

Hey, my new nickname on these forums is Howieau now.

I recently got the radiator back from Enoggera Radiators. My brother who picked it up for me, was shown pictures by the mechanic there. He pumped water through it and water only came out of 20% of the holes in the radiator, he removed the top tank and filed each hole down then pumped and water came out 95% of the holes. It was full of crystals that had formed, which he put in a bag and gave to my brother too. So ill put that back in and see how it goes.

We also found that a waterline hose running to oil filter was cut in half with a bolt stuck in the end. God knows why. So in the process of ordering the hose and such to fix that aswell. New thermostat is in and ready to go. Once the hose order arrives, well put everything back in and test it. Then ill post as to how she goes.

Thanks for your help thus far.
Howieau
Newcomer

November 2005
Re: cooling turbo engines Sat, 03 December 2005 09:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Put radiator back in, which got filed and flushed out, turns out it was choccas with shit and crystals that formed. Put new thermostat in, old one was in there but was forged open and wouldnt shut. Replaced a couple hoses that werent connected to anything instead they were cut in half (god knows why). Put new speedo keys in. Shes all back together now. Took her for a trip to the Sunshine coast, and we got there perfectly fine, temp gauge didnt go up one slight bit. Brought her home the same, even giving it a bit on the way home. No overheating. But when she cooled off, we still lost some water. About 700ml (one way). Lost 700ml when we got there and it cooled off, filled her up again, headed home, cooled off and another 700ml was missing. 700ml roughly. So Im thinking the blocked radiator and the thermostat were the causes of the overheating, but the loss of water is another issue altogether.

I left the radiator cap off and let the car idle, and bubbles come up through the water. Not an absolute load of them, but a few. Perhaps where the air is coming in, the water is going out? I havent checked thoroughly for leaks since we put everything back together again, but have checked breifly at times and there was nothing. I was also thinking that maybe I could run some sort of fluoro liquid through my system and see if it shows up any leaks or splits in hoses. Would this be a good idea?

Any ideas where to go from here?

Many thanks!
Once I get this shit fixed, I can go about making it faster!!
Bert
Regular

May 2003
Re: cooling turbo engines Sat, 03 December 2005 10:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Howieau wrote on Sat, 03 December 2005 20:05

But when she cooled off, we still lost some water. About 700ml (one way). Lost 700ml when we got there and it cooled off, filled her up again, headed home, cooled off and another 700ml was missing. 700ml roughly. So Im thinking the blocked radiator and the thermostat were the causes of the overheating, but the loss of water is another issue altogether.

I left the radiator cap off and let the car idle, and bubbles come up through the water. Not an absolute load of them, but a few. Perhaps where the air is coming in, the water is going out? I havent checked thoroughly for leaks since we put everything back together again, but have checked breifly at times and there was nothing. I was also thinking that maybe I could run some sort of fluoro liquid through my system and see if it shows up any leaks or splits in hoses. Would this be a good idea?

Any ideas where to go from here?

Many thanks!
Once I get this shit fixed, I can go about making it faster!!

its got all the symptoms of a blown head gasket. or a preetty bad coolant leak. i would get it checked. doesnt necessarly have to have coolant in the oil to be bhg...i have had two cars now that have done it. luckly i put new gaskets and recon heads on myself so it was pretty cheap. at one point i was going through 3 litres of water every 40kms. seriously!
Gazzman
Occasional Poster

May 2005
Re: cooling turbo engines Sat, 03 December 2005 12:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
could be blown head gasket.
or it could just have air locked in the system somewhere!

definately get it checked if it keeps happening, otherwise just try running it with the heater on for a while at operating temperature, so all the air comes out.
towe_001
Forums Junkie

August 2004
Re: cooling turbo engines Sat, 03 December 2005 16:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Have you checked the overflow bottle to see how much coolant is in it ? It could even be that when the motor overheats the coolant runs into the bottle but because of a faulty radiator cap the coolant doesn't get sucked back into the motor as it cools down.
Lukass
Occasional Poster

July 2005
Re: cooling turbo engines Sat, 03 December 2005 22:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bubbles coming up through the radiator while the car is running is a pretty bad sign. If the head gasket has blown between a water gallery and a cylinder you will have little or no oil contamination in the water, rather it will be leaking water into a cylinder which is then burnt off. Does the car produce a whitish looking smoke (steam)? Try pulling the plugs out and look for an unusually clean looking one.
jackel
Forums Junkie

August 2003

Re: cooling turbo engines Sun, 04 December 2005 09:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if you take the thermostat off where you going to put the 6 sensors?
mic*
Regular

July 2005
Re: cooling turbo engines Mon, 05 December 2005 07:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Coolant moving quicker through the radiator and not getting a chance to cool is not the reason you can see overheating in "thermostatless" cars.

My understanding is velocity. Its very important to control in a cooling system. No control = faster & faster flow as heat increases which = massive pressure increase = reduced cooling efficiency & stuff blowing up.

On the highway is classic as the radiator is that bit cooler which means there is a bigger difference in thermal energy between coolant in the radiator & coolant in the engine which = more thermal current = faster flow = stuff goes blowing up.

Really good way to;
a) BHG - which you seem convinced its not.
b) fuck your radiator cap valve and lose 700ml out the overflow every time you go for a good drive.
ajmor6
Regular

August 2005
Re: cooling turbo engines Mon, 05 December 2005 22:08 Go to previous message
i blew a headgasket in my 3T a while back and i didn't lose any water...just a thought for everyone. I had all the tell tale signs like bubbles in the radiator, smoke out the back, crystal clean spark plug, lack in performance etc etc AND the engine was missing BUT i didn't lose any water?? Go figure? Must have been a pissy leak and needed more time to suck the water out. Oh well shite happens, now its turboed Cool Laughing
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Fuel pressure = 75PSI...on a stock 4AGE????What are my options for running new fuel lines???
Next Topic:Aftermarket Ecu's
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 08:14:19 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0065751075744629 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.