Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
2syco
Occasional Poster

February 2003
Turbo or Supercharge 18rgeu Mon, 24 February 2003 01:50 Go to next message
i have an ra28 celica. the engine i m looking to put in is an 18rgeu. i m looking for more power though and wondering if a supercharger or a turbo would be better and what compression ratio should i run in the engine?
  Send a private message to this user    
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Turbo or Supercharge 18rgeu Mon, 24 February 2003 04:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quite a few people have built turbo 18R-G's with great success. If your engine is an 18R-GEU it has an 8.3:1 compression ratio which is just about perfect for forced induction, so leave it as it is.
2syco
Occasional Poster

February 2003
Re: Turbo or Supercharge 18rgeu Tue, 25 February 2003 23:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i had a guy work on the engine and order forged pistons for me. when i went to pick them up the pistons had gone missing and he left me with standard toyota ones. i don't know if they are 18rg or 18rgeu. is there any way to tell? if i get forged pistons will it be worth it to drop compression?
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Turbo or Supercharge 18rgeu Wed, 26 February 2003 00:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Forged pistons are a good idea, but I wouldn't drop the compression ratio any lower than 8.5:1 for a street engine. If you have factory pistons the compression ratio should be stamped on the piston crown.
blackRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Turbo or Supercharge 18rgeu Wed, 26 February 2003 11:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Are you going to be using the factory ECU? i am wondering about the same setup in my car, once my 18rgeu is up and running ok, as i have heard they can hold a small amount of boost safely with standard internals.. But im not sure whether you could retune the old 18rgeu ecu/afm or whether a delco or something more decent would be more appropriate/necessary?
2syco, It generally comes down to if you want custom turbo manifold made up/make one up urself , or if you want to just bolt on a s/charger somewhere and connect it up(plenty or room). this is what i may end up doing for something different i think, as everyone has turbos, and there may be an old 1ggze blower sitting down at my mates workshop(im investigating) Wink.
Can you still run a 18Rge/22Re AFM also without too much trouble? or are these factory items just incapable of running a boosted engine safely?

Would be heaps good to know before setting out to start something like this, just if anybody's got experience or tried the same thing before without major ecu/sensor upgrades?

good luck,

BlackRA28
blackRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Turbo or Supercharge 18rgeu Wed, 26 February 2003 12:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oh i would only be planning a very mild setup, nothing much over 4~7 psi, what do the standard toyota superchargers put out?
Snyper
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Turbo or Supercharge 18rgeu Wed, 26 February 2003 12:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
have been looking into doing this for my engine too....
the toyota superchargers put out approx 7-8 psi boost, but it all depends on what pulley sizes you use aswell....
also take into consideration intercooling, plumbing and mounting and wiring it up aswell

Brendon
2syco
Occasional Poster

February 2003
Re: Turbo or Supercharge 18rgeu Wed, 26 February 2003 22:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
with the standard ecu i was told that you cant do much with them so i bought an autronic computer as they can run sequential firing on the cylinders. to do this i have a bosch dizzy off a magna. to hold more pressure i have a copper head gasket and O ringed the head. i m still trying to work out what type of blower to put on, so i can work out the compression and boost that i can run through it.
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Turbo or Supercharge 18rgeu Thu, 27 February 2003 01:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
A standard ECU can work with a bit of fiddling. Remember these engines have very simple AFM-based injection, so it's very flexible. The major limiting factor is the injectors (ie they're too small), so you have to install bigger injectors and adjust the spring pressure in the airflow meter to compensate. This is what I have planned for my 18R-GEU as soon as Project 2JZ is completed; I already have a set of 3T-GTE injectors lined up as well as an RX7 turbo and a custom manifold. Watch this space! Smile
2syco
Occasional Poster

February 2003
Re: Turbo or Supercharge 18rgeu Thu, 27 February 2003 02:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
what boost are you planning on running through the turbo? do the injectors in the 3t fit straight into the manifold of the 18r-geu? where did you get the manifold for the turbo? i found a guy that will make a stainless steel one for $895, is that a good price?
biased99
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Turbo or Supercharge 18rgeu Thu, 27 February 2003 03:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Norbie, you have too much time (and money!) on your hands... Razz
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Turbo or Supercharge 18rgeu Thu, 27 February 2003 03:23 Go to previous message
Biased99: if only it were true. Fact is, I bought all the stuff I need for the turbo conversion over 5 years ago!

2syco: to answer your questions,
1. approx 7-8psi to begin with (ie whatever the factory wastegate is set at)
2. yes
3. private sale; right place at the right time
4. good price for stainless, but steam pipe is just as good at half the price (less wank-factor though).
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:JDM Gen2 3S-GE power, torque & cam specs
Next Topic:Good welder for diff conversion - Melbourne
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Wed May 15 13:51:24 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0057029724121094 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.