Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » 4agze or 20v?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
ae82gt
Occasional Poster

May 2002
icon5.gif  4agze or 20v? Thu, 13 June 2002 00:09 Go to next message
I'm looking at changing the engine in my ae82 twincam. I want to put something faster in obviously I was thinging of a 4agze engine but the 20v looks just as good.what I need to know from u guys out there that have done this which would be the easier engine to swap into an ae82? wiring it up wont be a problem I did an autoelectricians course at college
Very Happy
  Send a private message to this user    
AE82TwinCam
Regular

May 2002
icon6.gif  Re: 4agze or 20v? Thu, 13 June 2002 00:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Both engines are as easy as each other to put in... only thing ZE has is the intercooler, which wouldn't let your bonnet close if you leave the cooler on the top and the bonnet un-modded... other then that there isn't much difference in the whole, installation side of things... oh and the GZE gearbox is different to put in, but you can just use a 20v box on the ze, quite good....

As for choosing which engine you want, it all depends.... if you rev the crap out of your 4age generally, then I'd say you'd like the 20v.. but if you just want street torque for city driving, the gze eats the 20v for breakfast..

Both engines are very very good..

-Andrew
Rex_Kelway
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 4agze or 20v? Thu, 13 June 2002 02:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dont forget that the 4AGZE is a much simpler engine to make more power from.
Darola
Regular

May 2002
Re: 4agze or 20v? Thu, 13 June 2002 02:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey there, I recommend the gze conversion, the box does fit if u change the mounts and brackets.
u can leave the intercooler ontop just will need to put a hole in the bonnet and add a scoop also the gze has a lot more potential as it isnt as stressed as the 20v motor , (note the pulley kits also add alot of easy power and at no relyability loss. the 20v motor needs alot of revs to go anywhere but the gze only needs a heavy boot at any revs
rollaboy
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 4agze or 20v? Thu, 13 June 2002 03:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey guys what about a GTE (4AGZE Turboed) whats involved in do that? Eg. Different exhaust manafold etc???

Brett
Rex_Kelway
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 4agze or 20v? Thu, 13 June 2002 04:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Theres a RAD 4AGTE article in the tech articles section. Very very good.

But all that is required is

- InletManifold/Plenum chamber etc.
- Turbo Manifold
- Dump pipe (can then connect to existing exhaust)
- Turbocharger (of course)
- Decent intercooler

The factory computer can map for 14psi so theres no problem losing the StooperCharger and equipping it with a turbo. Also depending on the exhaust it may payt to have a whole new one made to suit the turbo application.

Then theres just, intercooler plumbing and other little tidbits like throttle cable and throttle boby.
Speed Demon
Regular

May 2002
Re: 4agze or 20v? Thu, 13 June 2002 05:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
roughly how much to get it running with the above mods, in an AE82?

Anyone done that conversion (i'm sure there's heaps of u Very Happy )?
AE82TwinCam
Regular

May 2002
icon10.gif  Re: 4agze or 20v? Thu, 13 June 2002 06:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It isn't cheap...

I think YOGI8U quoted around 6k or something for his 4agte conversion a while back (I'm not sure if thats on top of putting the GZE in the first place, or all up) Smiley $$. You would also need a month of your car being off the road... Cry which I suppose is ok if a) you don't have your licence, b) you have another car to drive around and c) you have that much money to spend. Although I'm not sure how much YOGI8U did himself, so that would obviously effect the cost.

Using only the stock ECU will save a bundle of money right there...but you're limited to 14psi then.

So there are couple of possibilities to consider

however, some of the results I've seen are pretty awsome Nod ... much better than the stock supercharger can put out, even with pulleys thats for sure Smile

Speed Demon
Regular

May 2002
Re: 4agze or 20v? Thu, 13 June 2002 10:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
$6000?!?!?!!? Forget it then....i'm gonna hav to buy an already turbo car....or just stick to natural aspiration.

How much power can i expect to get with a worked 4A-GE 16V? Again roughly how much?
AE82TwinCam
Regular

May 2002
icon7.gif  Re: 4agze or 20v? Thu, 13 June 2002 13:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well, I'm not really sure, you could put a nice set fo cams, port match and polish the head, after rebuild (AE82 4age's are getting a bit old), if you put bigger cams on though, then you will probably need another ECU($$Smiley $$... bump up the compression a bit perhaps.

It would definatly go pretty well, but if you spent the same amount of dosh on a GZE it would have bucket loads more torque and power than the 4age would... it all depends on what you want out of the engine.

Whats your budget? Then I'd say some of the fella's here may be able to help you out more.. I don't know very much

I have a stock gze in my AE82 and I must say I've got a pretty quick little shopping trolley on my hands...

-Andrew
ae82gt
Occasional Poster

May 2002
icon10.gif  Re: 4agze or 20v? Thu, 13 June 2002 15:56 Go to previous message
hmm might have to go for the 4agze.
I do tend to beat the shit outta my 4age when i'm playing but usually i just trickle it around but thats cuz my last car was a charade g100 turbo and that just flew everywhere
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:2TG/4AG part 2
Next Topic:T50 gearboxes - different ratios??
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Wed May 15 10:55:38 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0054199695587158 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.