Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » How can i change the ignition curve on my STD ECU?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
corbet01
Regular

April 2005
How can i change the ignition curve on my STD ECU? Wed, 16 November 2005 09:34 Go to next message
Hi,
IS there anything out there that i can add to my existing STD ECU to be able to program the advance curve. Jay car make a programmable igition kit will this work.

a few months back someone wrote this,

"..wind about 27 degrees advance into the base timing..don't forget to jump T1 (or TE1) and E1 with a small bit of wire, to disable the ecu retard/advance on idle.. you'll physically notice the difference!"

With the option above it sounds like the ignition is always going to be on 27 degrees. I was hoping to have the option of programming and not fixing to one setting.

It would be good if someone could point me in the write direction.

Cheers,

Ty

Send a private message to this user    
corbet01
Regular

April 2005
Re: How can i change the ignition curve on my STD ECU? Wed, 16 November 2005 10:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bump
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: How can i change the ignition curve on my STD ECU? Wed, 16 November 2005 12:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
to change the timing map would require a programmable ECU - a factory ECU isn't one of those.

the quote you mention means that the base (warm idle, no load) timing is set to 27 degrees instead of the usual factory XX degrees. The ECU will still alter timing based on rpm & load (in the same way that and old dizzi would with weights and vacuum advance).
corbet01
Regular

April 2005
Re: How can i change the ignition curve on my STD ECU? Wed, 16 November 2005 12:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
so is jumping the T1 and E1 a good thing to do or is it just dodgy.

Thanks for the reply's
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: How can i change the ignition curve on my STD ECU? Wed, 16 November 2005 13:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jumping TE1 and E1 is purely to SET the BASE timing.

After the timing is set, you remove the jumper.

Most Toyotas run between 5 and 10deg timing with the jumper in.
If you only use premium fuel, you can afford to increase this by a few degrees.

The timing curve remains the same, but its start point changes.
corbet01
Regular

April 2005
Re: How can i change the ignition curve on my STD ECU? Wed, 16 November 2005 13:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for helping me with this. So i don't keep bother you and the site can you point me to an article or instructions. I do plan on running 95 or 98 octane fuel. how will haveing a base timing of 27 degrees affect the behaviour of the car/engine. It sounds like you have done it. Would you recomend it or not?

Thanks again,

Ty
BLK1GGTE
Regular

March 2004
Re: How can i change the ignition curve on my STD ECU? Wed, 16 November 2005 13:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You obviously don't understand the combust process or timing so in your case leave the fucking thing alone, set it at base 10 degrees. If u knew what u were on about u would never say to set it at 27 degrees on base.... please for your sake (and your engine) just leave it... I understand I if you were talking about total timing but not base... Anyways sorry but do some research...and leave it alone
corbet01
Regular

April 2005
Re: How can i change the ignition curve on my STD ECU? Wed, 16 November 2005 14:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I don't need you to direct that sort of language toward me.
27 degrees was an arbotary fiqure which some one else quoted and is obviously not going to be the same in my situation.
Maybe i should of said the words increase my ignition advance instead. I am still learning about 4age's and i asked for some direction on where to go for the resources.
And yes, for the sake of my engine i will try and get as much information from the people who have been there before me.

Ty
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: How can i change the ignition curve on my STD ECU? Wed, 16 November 2005 14:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the 27 degrees was a stupid post.. i saw it and let it slide, hoping no-one would mention it ever again Razz

an extra 17deg timing in a motor where timing is not all that bad to begin with???

farkin stupid Razz

bmgtz
Occasional Poster

July 2005
Re: How can i change the ignition curve on my STD ECU? Wed, 16 November 2005 14:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
corbet01
there is not that much to be gained by changing the base timing..........not really worth doing unless there have been other mods to back up the need of a different ignition curve in which case I would recomend a stand alone computer. my point is on a standard engine you could experiment however the gains are hard to feel when driving the car and then you really are stuck with having to use the high ron fuel. best left alone and search elsewhere for power increases.

bm
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: How can i change the ignition curve on my STD ECU? Wed, 16 November 2005 14:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
drift86levin wrote on Wed, 12 October 2005 20:59

hint for a tune up for a 4AGE..

tools 12mm spanner..
timing light..

providing your using 98 octane or the equivilent optimax/ultimate etc, have decent plugs (iridium etc) new dizzy cap/button, and the engine is in overall good condition..wind about 27 degrees advance into the base timing..don't forget to jump T1 (or TE1) and E1 with a small bit of wire, to disable the ecu retard/advance on idle.. you'll physically notice the difference!

if it pings a little back off a tiny bit..but 25-27 you should be pretty good Wink

matty

wow, you'd never guess it came from a doriftor Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
corbet01
Regular

April 2005
Re: How can i change the ignition curve on my STD ECU? Wed, 16 November 2005 14:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thanks for the reply,

Ty
BLK1GGTE
Regular

March 2004
Re: How can i change the ignition curve on my STD ECU? Wed, 16 November 2005 14:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I apologise but the 27 deegrees was stupid even for a mention...like everyone said all cars run at their best when ther are running like new, so unless u got some fully sick big turbo and cam gears just set it to stock with a timing light, make sure u got new plugs, and everything else is fine and dandy and she run as good as new....
BLK1GGTE
Regular

March 2004
Re: How can i change the ignition curve on my STD ECU? Wed, 16 November 2005 14:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Even if u do advance your "basetiming" the Ecu will still decide how much total timing to run in every situation...at the end of the day you won't get much more if anything at all...and with jap spec cars, they are meant to run on 100 octane so the stock base timing is plenty even with 98 RON...Just my 2c
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: How can i change the ignition curve on my STD ECU? Thu, 17 November 2005 09:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
with the now infamous 27 degrees base timing, once you add the potential for up to 30-40 degrees of total advance, you're going to run the risk of severe pinging, regardless of what octane fuel you run.

the computer will have no idea you're at 27 degrees - base timing is exactly that, the base of the timing curve - it'll happily follow the preprogrammed curve(s) from that trigger point onwards and upwards.

anyway, with the fuly hektik turbo you'll want less advance with the more boost you pump in.
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: How can i change the ignition curve on my STD ECU? Thu, 17 November 2005 13:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the moron who posted (and that post was subsequently deleted, thanks mods Smile) that i should not be posting in the tech section because i said timing should be 10deg can ....

GO FUCK THEMSELVES SIDEWAYS

http://toymods.org.au/Repository/TechDocs/4age_boo k/servicespecifications/a_06.jpg

RTFM FUCKWIT...

i'm sick of these fuckwits that jump on here, flame ppl for POSTING ACCURATE INFORMATION....

i hope to god they don't sign up to new forum, for their sake, as i will cut them down like the idiots they are...

have a nice day Very Happy Razz
beige_bandit
Regular

September 2005
Re: How can i change the ignition curve on my STD ECU? Thu, 17 November 2005 21:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oldcorollas wrote on Fri, 18 November 2005 00:48

the moron who posted (and that post was subsequently deleted, thanks mods Smile) that i should not be posting in the tech section because i said timing should be 10deg can ....

http://toymods.org.au/Repository/TechDocs/4age_boo k/servicespecifications/a_06.jpg

RTFM FUCKWIT...

i'm sick of these fuckwits that jump on here, flame ppl for POSTING ACCURATE INFORMATION....

i hope to god they don't sign up to new forum, for their sake, as i will cut them down like the idiots they are...

Laughing Laughing Laughing
After i post you can read my sig Laughing

But deleted? NO check again buddy.
your in the wrong thread Laughing
Nice to see you take yourself serioulsy Laughing
And you can go and read for yourself the "accurate information"
you posted!
Shocked

Oh and but i have already signed up to the new forum so do as you please but you,ll prove nothing Very Happy

HAVE NICE DAY Surprised
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: How can i change the ignition curve on my STD ECU? Thu, 17 November 2005 22:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ke382tg, oldcorollas and gianttomato vigilante squad
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: How can i change the ignition curve on my STD ECU? Fri, 18 November 2005 07:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message

beige_bandit wrote on Thu, 17 November 2005 11:23

oldcorollas wrote on Wed, 16 November 2005 22:22

make sure you briudge the whatsit to short timing to 10deg (or whatever it is)

What's this shit? Shocked
Please dont post like this in tech section in future! Laughing

beige_bandit wrote on Fri, 18 November 2005 08:52

oldcorollas wrote on Fri, 18 November 2005 00:48

RTFM FUCKWIT...

Laughing Laughing Laughing
After i post you can read my sig Laughing

But deleted? NO check again buddy.
your in the wrong thread Laughing
Nice to see you take yourself serioulsy Laughing
And you can go and read for yourself the "accurate information"
you posted!
Shocked

Oh and but i have already signed up to the new forum so do as you please but you,ll prove nothing Very Happy

HAVE NICE DAY Surprised

so beigeboy... did you read the 4AGE tech book.. my copy is back home in Aus, but it says the same as the online version in the toymods tech doc linked above..

and i quote..

Quote:

IGNITION TIMING......10deg BTDC (w/terminals T and E1 SHORT-CIRCUITED)

you do know that THIS is how you set timing on a 4AGE???
Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

oh wait.. so whats your advice on setting 4AGE timing then??? Razz

[Updated on: Fri, 18 November 2005 07:24]

oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: How can i change the ignition curve on my STD ECU? Fri, 18 November 2005 07:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gianttomato wrote on Fri, 18 November 2005 09:14

ke382tg, oldcorollas and gianttomato vigilante squad

only toward certain elements who conside themsleves as part of the modding community Razz

27 degrees my arse...

oh.. beigeboy. wanna enlighten the rest of us as to your method for setting timing on a 4AGE? pretty puhlease?? i wanna se your accurate information.... since you know more than toyota Razz
shinybluesteel
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002
Re: How can i change the ignition curve on my STD ECU? Fri, 18 November 2005 07:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
pretty sure its 26 degrees oldcelicas, might want to re-read the manual where it says 27 degrees

hope this helps

Razz
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: How can i change the ignition curve on my STD ECU? Fri, 18 November 2005 07:58 Go to previous message
shinybluesteel wrote on Fri, 18 November 2005 18:48

pretty sure its 26 degrees oldcelicas, might want to re-read the manual where it says 27 degrees

hope this helps

Razz

oh my bad Embarassed Embarassed

Razz

i would love Beigebandits 114th post to tell everyone how to set 4AGE timing the "beigebandit way" instead of the "Toyota way" Rolling Eyes
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Strange idle on 4agze
Next Topic:MA61 Lsd Diff rebuild prices?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri May 3 17:44:42 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0065469741821289 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.