Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » ae71 and ae86 - same axles?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
v-tec
Occasional Poster

September 2005
ae71 and ae86 - same axles? Thu, 17 November 2005 00:27 Go to next message
yeah, basically i need to know. are the ae86 and ae71 axles both the same? I think the ae86's have 's series' or something, and i had the understanding that ae71's are the same.

however, i have also been told that the ae71's have something called a borg warner diff. And when further explained, it doesnt sound like the ae86 ones.

Im asking cause im trying to find a spare diff centre for my corolla.
  Send a private message to this user    
September_Squall
Forums Junkie

March 2005
Re: ae71 and ae86 - same axles? Thu, 17 November 2005 00:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Aus built AE71 are different to AE86. But I think not all AE71 are Aus built, maybe the vans and wagons also have an S diff?
v-tec
Occasional Poster

September 2005
Re: ae71 and ae86 - same axles? Thu, 17 November 2005 00:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nah, mines a sedan... Sad

so i spose this would mean if i want a spare diff, id have to fine out what came in the ae71's Sad
September_Squall
Forums Junkie

March 2005
Re: ae71 and ae86 - same axles? Thu, 17 November 2005 00:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Are you looking for a spare diff for your AE86 or AE71? If you're looking for an AE71 sedan diff centre you can definately use a diff centre from KE70 and AE71 sedans at least.

I wonder if KE55 has a BW diff, and if so whether it's also interchangable?
EMP-2TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: ae71 and ae86 - same axles? Thu, 17 November 2005 01:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ke55 are leaf tho
rthy
Forums Junkie

January 2004
wtf is a jabber? a punch line?
Re: ae71 and ae86 - same axles? Thu, 17 November 2005 01:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the ke70 wagons use leaf as well
i have a ke70 diff in my ae86 atm Embarassed Embarassed dam rwc drum brakes Cool
September_Squall
Forums Junkie

March 2005
Re: ae71 and ae86 - same axles? Thu, 17 November 2005 13:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
EMP-2TG wrote on Thu, 17 November 2005 12:26

ke55 are leaf tho

But he's only looking for a centre.
v-tec
Occasional Poster

September 2005
Re: ae71 and ae86 - same axles? Sun, 20 November 2005 07:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
so you guys are saying that the ke70/ae71 diffs are the same as the ae86's?

i guess it shouldnt matter that much in finding either one. So yea i should be able to find a ae71 diff...

when you say a leaf diff... does that mean its not detachable from the rear axle? I think thats what i was told the ae71's had
Big T
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: ae71 and ae86 - same axles? Sun, 20 November 2005 07:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No the diffs are different. The 86 has an S-series... ke70/ae71 have a Borg Warner. However, you can swap the entire axle out of either as they have identical mounting points.

Eddie.
v-tec
Occasional Poster

September 2005
Re: ae71 and ae86 - same axles? Sun, 20 November 2005 07:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok thanks eddie, just one more question... can the centre diffs for the borg warner be removed out of the ae71
ie. to weld up the diff
if they are not removeable... i dont suppose there is anyway of locking the diff is there?

or would i just have to get a 's' series axle and get the centre of that welded up?

thanks mate
EVOSTi
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      no
Re: ae71 and ae86 - same axles? Sun, 20 November 2005 08:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yes they are easily removed and welded.

you seem a little confused about the interchangability. the centres from ae86 and ae71/ke70 can not be interchanged. if you want a borg warner in your sprinter, or an S-series in your corolla you need to change the entire diff housing over. but you can ofcourse swap the centres between the ae71 and ke70 as they both have the borg warner diff.
v-tec
Occasional Poster

September 2005
Re: ae71 and ae86 - same axles? Sun, 20 November 2005 08:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
repost :/

[Updated on: Sun, 20 November 2005 08:50]

v-tec
Occasional Poster

September 2005
Re: ae71 and ae86 - same axles? Sun, 20 November 2005 08:48 Go to previous message
ok thanks mate, what i ment in my last post was would i have to get a 's' series axle so i can have a removable diff (At this point thinking the borg warner diff was not removable therefore unusable to weld up).

i knew that if the ae71 and ae86 had different axle types their diffs would not be interchangeable

however, now understanding that the borg warner diff can be removed. id say ill just get the warner diff welded.
And maybe eventually get a 's' series axle... or a 'T' series axle as i have heard these are also fittable into the ae71/ae86 because the mounting points are the same

thanks for all the info
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:308- supra bellhousing ID
Next Topic:mk3 1jz conversion
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 22:14:00 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0064611434936523 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.