Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
xolent
Forums Junkie

October 2004
INTERVIEWS Tue, 15 November 2005 13:53 Go to next message
Everyone here probably has a job, and since I'm going to an interview next week for an intern, I'd like to hear your stories on stuff ups or any advices/tips Very Happy

One of my stories was an interview that took place about 2 weeks ago. There's this job agency thing at uni where they have a list of jobs strictly for uni people. Anyways, I needed a job for an intern so bad that I didn't bother reading what I was applying for. It turns out that I applied for many volunteered jobs, I mean, it's nice to work in engineering and all, but... when you're working 6 months for free, it's really hard to put up with it!
Anyways, I had a reply and I got all excited about going for an interview. The day before the interview I found out that it was a volunteer position, and to save myself looking like a wanker, I went to the interview anyways (who applies for a job without reading it anyways? Rolling Eyes ). But I deliberately stuffed up the interview by keeping my ear rings on, mohawking my hair like a wanker, wearing shorts, thongs a pretty old shirt and turning up half an hour late saying I woke up late (which was true). I deliberately asked him stupid questions about the company, occasionally interupted him while he was speaking, and just being a dickhead.

Moral of story: To save yourself looking like an idiot, be a wanker or vice versa.

Now I've got another interview, I need TIPS. Apparently employers are really interested in academic grades, what the fuck am I going to say? I actually want this one, because I re-read the job add, and it doesn't say anything about volunteering. YAY! I know 3rd year students who haven't even had a reply from this stupid job system, and me getting 2 replies in my first year I consider myself very very very lucky!

Send a private message to this user    
jackel
Forums Junkie

August 2003

Re: INTERVIEWS Tue, 15 November 2005 18:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
during the start of the year when i was looking for a fulltime job i was always shy, nervous and always went blank and answer questions with short answers. Do none of these.

If you go for an interview dress one step up of what they expect you to wear if you had the job.

Practice the night before and write down the question you'll think they'll ask you, get someone to pretend there the interviewer and do it.

After an interview, give it a day or two and ring up to ask about the job see if it's been filled. Persistance pays off. If you didn't get the job ask for feedback about your interview and what you could of done to impression them better. If they think your really interested they could ring you up about another job.

hope that helps Smile
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: INTERVIEWS Tue, 15 November 2005 19:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Another tip if they have company info pamplets/booklets in reception whilst you wait read them, it shows you are interested, also good to visit there website and find a bit more out about them.

It helps to show you are interested and in some interviews i went to last year they actually asked if i'd been to their website to have a read.
Roundy
Regular

April 2005
Re: INTERVIEWS Tue, 15 November 2005 22:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
And always pause a bit to gather your thoughts before answering any questions, makes u less likely to screw up and makes u look more intelligent!

It is in engineering? What field of engineering?

[Updated on: Tue, 15 November 2005 22:53]

ke382TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: INTERVIEWS Tue, 15 November 2005 23:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The above tips are good, be yourself though as it's very easy for the interview panel to pick up on fakers.

I was on an interview panel a few months ago and some people just completely lacked any sort of social skills. Don't worry if you are a bit nervous, that is not a problem for the interview panel.

Every interview has opportunity for questions at the end, make sure you ask at least one!

Try to remember the names of the panel to and thank them for their time at the end.

Good luck.
mynameisrodney
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: INTERVIEWS Tue, 15 November 2005 23:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ask them questions.
research for any new projects they may be entering into.
ask how they will be going about it, the goals of the project etc etc. it shows that
1 - you have done your homework
2 - you actually want THIS job, not just A job
3 - you are already thinking about your future position in the company (shows confidence).

now its my turn to ask a question. due to a bet i had when i was slightly intoxicated, i have not had a haircut in about 2 years. will having long hair, even though i tie it back so it looks presentable, affect my chances of getting a job?

chris
Malicia
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: INTERVIEWS Wed, 16 November 2005 00:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I had a group interview at Rebel Sport once, I'm normally a good public speaker but I'de never done a group interview before...

It was all pretty easy, Listen to the managers talk about the positions and then pair off and talk about each other, Then come back and Talk up your partner to the rest of the group.

But for some reason I couldn't get anything right...

Made a fool of my self infront of about 10 ppl half were hot chicks and one was my gf's cousin lol. I forgot just about everything my partner had told me, then I froze for aobut 2 mins with the whole room staring at me. All I could think was "Say SOMETHING you dickhead"

Doesn't matter I have a better job now anyway,

Remember to be Confident. Not Cocky but Confident, Show them you want the job and will be able to do it.
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: INTERVIEWS Wed, 16 November 2005 00:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Depends what field you wanna get a job in.

Last year I had a few interviews to get my accounting cadetship from an engineering firm to just general practices. I was always clean shaven wearing suit and tie obviously and always read the company books. Each time they always commented on how good it was to see someone do it.

Also if they make a joke its best to laugh atleast a bit. Out of all the places I went the one i got the job in was the only only to thoroughly look at my resume. Best to keep only things in there for the last two years aparts from obvious things like uni degrees later on.

Another tip to is they are not just interviewing you, you have to assess whether you wanna work there. I take it, its kind of a cadetship type thing. Ask questions about exam leave, uni leave, hecs or text book allowances generally they'll bring them up.

One of the firms i went to and was actually offered the job at (after i'd already accepted my current job) only gave one day off before exams and any time taken off to attend uni lectures had to be made up. My current sitch is 4.5 days a week when uni is on and 5 days a week without uni.

I also get 2 days off before each exam. Some places will pay part of your uni fees most will atleast give a textbook allowance generally 600 bucks.

The engineering firm was gonna pay majority of hecs but they expected you to stay on atleast a couple years after graduating if you did this or you'd have to pay part back. All in all you are really sussing them out just as much as they are looking at you.

Its best to weigh up all these things as you may get the job but just find it too hard to cope with both uni and work if you cop crappy conditions.

Shraka
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: INTERVIEWS Wed, 16 November 2005 02:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The best interview I ever did was for the job I'm at now. I was already working there on a project and the woman I was working with was leaving, so I applied for her job.

Anyway, I was coding away at my desk when they asked me to come in for the interview. I went in, still thinking about the coding problem, and just answered their questions which where all pretty easy. I think the main thing was, I wasn't nervous. I wasn't even thinking about the interview really. So I think the most important part is be suitable for the position, be confidant, and relaxed. They wont hire someone who freaks out at an interview.

mynameisrodney wrote on Wed, 16 November 2005 10:49

now its my turn to ask a question. due to a bet i had when i was slightly intoxicated, i have not had a haircut in about 2 years. will having long hair, even though i tie it back so it looks presentable, affect my chances of getting a job?

chris

Depends on the position. Probably not, and if it does, only a little. Just be better than everyone else applying. Smile Easy.
dimmy77_03
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: INTERVIEWS Wed, 16 November 2005 02:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Same, best interview i had was at my current job. I came dressed in business shirt, tie (obviously) try not to be nervous, and take a break between answering the questions, that'd be the best thing.

Was looking for a job a month ago, but then didn't want it so i came dressed in shirt and torn jeans Razz
xolent
Forums Junkie

October 2004
Re: INTERVIEWS Wed, 16 November 2005 04:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Roundy wrote on Wed, 16 November 2005 09:51

And always pause a bit to gather your thoughts before answering any questions, makes u less likely to screw up and makes u look more intelligent!

It is in engineering? What field of engineering?

Mechanical.

Thanks for reply guys, appreciate it. I'm not good at gathering thoughts though, like one of my teachers said he was really suprised when he read my essay and compared it with the diction I use in everyday speaking.

ke382TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: INTERVIEWS Wed, 16 November 2005 04:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

like one of my teachers said he was really suprised when he read my essay and compared it with the diction I use in everyday speaking.

Tell them (write it on a bit of paper) at the interview you are a mute (but you will recover) and will have to do a written interview Wink

[Updated on: Wed, 16 November 2005 04:08]

xolent
Forums Junkie

October 2004
Re: INTERVIEWS Wed, 16 November 2005 04:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
please tell me your not joking?

That'd be awesome. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

was there a critieria that the interviewees had to meet when you were on the panel?
ke382TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: INTERVIEWS Wed, 16 November 2005 04:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

was there a critieria that the interviewees had to meet when you were on the panel?

As with any job application/interview process we had selection criteria which the applicants had to address. Some did it much better than others.

Applicants that made it to the interview stage essentially met all the requirements for the position, the interview just allowed us to probe a little further and let us evaluate the applicants ability to communicate and also let us judge whether or not they would fit in with the rest of the staff.

Those who make an effort (appearance, odour, knowledge about the position, punctuality etc.) are usually assessed more favourably than those who don't regardless of academic record, prior experience etc.

The last round of interviews that I sat on one woman was clearly very nervous and about 2 minutes into the interview told us she was very nervous and asked to have a minute to gather herself. We allowed that and asked her to relax etc. After the break she was still very nervous but performed well. She ended up getting the job.

If I had it my way we would be just hiring hawt biatches who wear skimpy clothes to interviews Evil or Very Mad But alas in these troubled times it just can't happen Sad
xolent
Forums Junkie

October 2004
Re: INTERVIEWS Wed, 16 November 2005 05:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lol that's the way to go! you'd be "accidently" dropping things on the floor expecting people to pick it up haha

what job was the interviews for?
illuminatus
Forums Junkie

March 2005
Re: INTERVIEWS Wed, 16 November 2005 05:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ke382TG wrote on Wed, 16 November 2005 15:35

If I had it my way we would be just hiring hawt biatches who wear skimpy clothes to interviews Evil or Very Mad But alas in these troubled times it just can't happen Sad

interview question no 1:
so how many times do you drop things on the floor and bend over to pick them up in your usual working day?
ke382TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: INTERVIEWS Wed, 16 November 2005 05:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

what job was the interviews for?

The last few have been for admin, policy, data entry and data analysis positions with the government. Most government interview processes are quite similar. Which is good when applying for them because minor tweaking of an application is usually all that is needed to apply for several different jobs.

[Updated on: Wed, 16 November 2005 05:29]

poh_86
Regular

November 2004
Re: INTERVIEWS Wed, 16 November 2005 10:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yup i agree with what ke382tg

i also like to add what corona rt142 mentioned a handy tip is to arrive 15 minutes before the interview
look for any awards or certificates and mention it to the interviewee, shows you have interest in the company and do some research before hand.

dont know if u know this already though.
OR you could just turn up the same way you did for the volunteer interview Laughing

what job are u applying for john?
xolent
Forums Junkie

October 2004
Re: INTERVIEWS Wed, 16 November 2005 11:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
poh_86 wrote on Wed, 16 November 2005 21:26

yup i agree with what ke382tg

i also like to add what corona rt142 mentioned a handy tip is to arrive 15 minutes before the interview
look for any awards or certificates and mention it to the interviewee, shows you have interest in the company and do some research before hand.

dont know if u know this already though.
OR you could just turn up the same way you did for the volunteer interview Laughing

what job are u applying for john?

some engineering workplace stuff, RESMED's the name. They're in Bella Vista and they make components for people who have sleeping disorders or something. I think it's more of the manufacturing side, which I love Very Happy

I'd be happy if I was to just make nuts, bolts and washers my whole life Very Happy
rob-ae86
Regular

November 2002
Re: INTERVIEWS Wed, 16 November 2005 12:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the hardes't interview i have had is where i am working now

but pretty much its the same as the other guys have been saying

1-energetic
2-confidence
3-dress smart
4-talk to other people being interviewed
5-read into the company
6-read into the position
7-dont fiddle (shows that your nervous)
8-a good solid handshake (shows confidence)
9- prepare interview questions
10- ask lots of questions

thats about all but the most important thing is to be yourself. Its suprising how people can see that if your being so fake.

added bit: sometimes you can be suprised with academic results. experence is where is counts.

[Updated on: Wed, 16 November 2005 12:52]

xolent
Forums Junkie

October 2004
Re: INTERVIEWS Wed, 16 November 2005 13:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeh my academic records suck teh massif wang

UAI: 74
subjects last semester:
maths modelling 2: 57
physical modelling: 50 (I had to re-do an exam to get this mark lol)
visual basic/informatics: 56
intro to mechanical engineering: 67

but yeh, with that I've been trying to equip myself with some "hands on" experience like welding, assembling stuff and the like, and next year i'm planning to do a CAD course at tafe. cad at uni is as bad as my academic results, they both suck the wang.

I'm planning to show them that i'm eager for this and that i've got some hands on experience, but I don't know the way on introducing it. Am i suppose to introduce myself or just answer questions?

[Updated on: Wed, 16 November 2005 13:24]

ke20_rolla
Regular

November 2004
Re: INTERVIEWS Wed, 16 November 2005 13:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
As most people have already said, make sure you knwo some background info on the company. Know the position you are applying for so that you can ask them questions about it.

Firm handshake is important. Try not to fiddle, just keep your hands in your lap.

Dress nicely and make sure your fingernails are clean and things like that.

Ariving early shows that you are eager.

Following up is one of the most important things you can do. I dropped a resume/application into a place and rang back 2 days later to ask if they recieved it. They then asked me to come in for an interview.

Even tho im only 17 i have had 4 jobs. In schools these days you do a semester of work skill related things. One part is a mock interview where they provide feedback about how you went. Possibly the only useful thing i got from school.

Laters
riceburna73
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: INTERVIEWS Thu, 17 November 2005 00:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mate coming from a pretty long recruitment background here are my tips:

Now each of these can be dependant on the type of job you are going for but most are tranceferable.

Research the company: How long have they been around for,number of employees etc. When in the interview and hopefully you are carrying a folder with resume,pen etc have the info you have researched mabye printed off the net etc in view with parts highlighted.This will show you have gone the extra mile.Also research the type of job it is,ring up a recruitment company and ask what a bla bla job involves on a day to day basis.Even ring up a similar company to get the info.

Dress to impress but within reason: If you are going for a management job of anythig even semi indoors you need a SUIT,you can buy them for 200 bucks and get a decent shirt from vinnies if you get a BRAND NEW tie from garcebrothers for 30 bucks you can actualy make a cheap suit combo look very nice.The within reason part comes down to factory work mechanic type work etc as you dont want to look like a puppet rocking up over dressed but still make sure you are presented well.

Work out what you want to achieve during the interview: Before you are even going in, try and get as much of an idea as possible what their recruitment process is.Some companies have 5 interviews and a medical before they hire anyone. You need to know what stage you are trying to get to next. You should also ALWAYS have your own questions written down to ask them. Remember this is about the job being right for you aswell as you being right for the job,so ask them the things you want to know.

Close thie interview: ASK FOR THE JOB! or atleast what the next stage is from there. Say somthing like "Im really interested in this opportunity,what is the next step from here?" If you have made the cut down to the final interview,use a bit of fear of loss, "I currently have 2 other offers on the table at the moment however this the the opportunity that interests me the most. What is the process from here in regards to you making a decision?"

Anyways my formally sevoured thumb is hurting from typing so im going to leave it at that,if you need any extra help drop me a PM and ill work you through some extra tips.

WERD!
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: INTERVIEWS Thu, 17 November 2005 09:57 Go to previous message
other note. if you're a smoker, do NOT smoke before the interview! your last ciggie (or beer, if you feel like a drink to calm your nerves) will be REALLY obvious to anyone who is not a smoker as soon as you walk into the room.

remember when it comes time to ask questions, it's great to show you know more about the job than what is advertised in the paper, and you should also show them that this is the job you want above all others, not just a random position to earn some money and get some experience.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:pimp my ride kazakhstan!!!!!
Next Topic:Making the perfect chip seasoning
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 15:27:05 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0048229694366455 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.