Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Useless but interesting fact about 2001 Turbo Corolla's

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
turbo_rolla
Regular

June 2005
Useless but interesting fact about 2001 Turbo Corolla's Mon, 14 November 2005 07:07 Go to next message
Hey guys, thought i'd share this with everyone. I went into a toyota dealer today to get a stud for my suspension (got excited doing up my strut brace and snapped a stud Embarassed) and was talking bout my 2001 Turbo Sportivo that im trying to sell with one of the guys.

Anyway, we got to talking and the guy mentioned that the ECU in the sportivo (turbo model only) is worth $20,000 if you want to replace it!!!! Shocked A customer had theirs stolen and this was the price he got back from tokyo when getting a quote for a replacement! (he showed me the quote) Aparently they dont want anyone doing the conversion themselves and just wacking in a "standard ecu" from an "original sportivo". Didnt look gold plated to me when i was hooking up a performance meter Laughing , but was a very interesting fact! I think i'd settle with an aftermarket one and spend the $$$ to get it tuned!

Anyway, thats a useless fact for the day! No doubt it'll start some debate about dealership pricing Very Happy
  Send a private message to this user    
shinybluesteel
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002
Re: Useless but interesting fact about 2001 Turbo Corolla's Mon, 14 November 2005 07:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
that's interesting,

you could buy and tune a few motec M800s for that much,

or 20 Microtech ECUs.
turbo_rolla
Regular

June 2005
Re: Useless but interesting fact about 2001 Turbo Corolla's Mon, 14 November 2005 07:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah, that was my thinking shiny Very Happy Good luck to them if they can actually sell one for that much though!
jonchai
Regular

June 2004
Re: Useless but interesting fact about 2001 Turbo Corolla's Mon, 14 November 2005 13:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Crickey......with that money.

rebuild, lower compression...bigger turbo/intercooler, motec, exhaust and still wouldnt reach 20k....
terra
Regular

July 2005
Re: Useless but interesting fact about 2001 Turbo Corolla's Mon, 14 November 2005 14:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
not feeling the dtm/twin tip exhaust Sad
EVOSTi
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      no
Re: Useless but interesting fact about 2001 Turbo Corolla's Tue, 15 November 2005 07:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yep customer of mine had a turbo rolla and rung up for a price on a replacement, dont remember the price he was told but it was around that, the computer is a TOM'S item.
-=DV=-
Regular

May 2004
Re: Useless but interesting fact about 2001 Turbo Corolla's Tue, 15 November 2005 07:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
man it doesnt surprise me
ive been quoted $600 for a single engine mount, $798 for a radiator fan MOTOR, $600 for a 162 front splitter (little $2 piece of plastic under the bumper) and $400 for each side piece...but then again...20k for a fucking ecu Surprised,toyota have no shame and theyre pricing is a fucking joke, it makes me sick
turbo_rolla
Regular

June 2005
Re: Useless but interesting fact about 2001 Turbo Corolla's Tue, 15 November 2005 07:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah, when i hooked up my performance meter i noticed the "Toms" badging on it

http://img477.imageshack.us/img477/1809/dscn17542rx.jpg

Might have to charge a $10,000 fee to look at the above picture Laughing ...not sure if warrants a price like that though Shocked Pricing is a bit ridulous though, but its really the same for any "genuine" part through any manufacturer. Oh well....they seem to get the business so good luck to them Rolling Eyes

[Updated on: Tue, 15 November 2005 07:41]

9000RPM
Newcomer

November 2005
Re: Useless but interesting fact about 2001 Turbo Corolla's Tue, 15 November 2005 07:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
-=DV=- wrote on Tue, 15 November 2005 18:20

$600 for a 162 front splitter (little $2 piece of plastic under the bumper) and $400 for each side piece...but then again...20k for a fucking ecu Surprised,toyota have no shame and theyre pricing is a fucking joke, it makes me sick

Im sure the front spoiler bits are only about $300-400 for all 3 bits.....
They have a TRD clutch kit in the Turbo Corollas and RRP is around $3000.
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Useless but interesting fact about 2001 Turbo Corolla's Tue, 15 November 2005 07:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Buy an ecu get a free car with it yay Rolling Eyes
Bill Sherwood
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Useless but interesting fact about 2001 Turbo Corolla's Tue, 15 November 2005 08:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
turbo_rolla wrote on Mon, 14 November 2005 18:07

Anyway, we got to talking and the guy mentioned that the ECU in the sportivo (turbo model only) is worth $20,000 if you want to replace it!!!!

Smells like bull.... to me!
dingaling
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: Useless but interesting fact about 2001 Turbo Corolla's Tue, 15 November 2005 10:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Toms kick arse! but yeah not enuf to warrant $20,000 ECU i call bullshit aswell.

(found this stuff and came to the conclusion Toms kick arse
http://www.tomsracing.co.jp/movie.html

Some mk3 supra's racing around in one of those clips too.)
turbo_rolla
Regular

June 2005
Re: Useless but interesting fact about 2001 Turbo Corolla's Tue, 15 November 2005 12:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dunno Bill, he showed me the quote, and EVOSTI confirmed something around that price also Very Happy I dont think anyone in their right mind would pay that much for an ecu though (well you'd hope not!). Yeah, they do have the TRD clutch kit in it and its awesome 9000 Wink HEAPS better than the standard ones (obviously) - i drove my mates r32 and it was soooo much firmer when i jumped back in the sportivo Very Happy Love it!!!

Might have to see if we can get a copy of a quote on here with the price tag mentioned below with a few "doubters" popping up.....can ya help me out EVOSTI? Im more than happy to be proven wrong, but im only passing info that was told & shown to me Smile
b1gb3n
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

June 2004
Re: Useless but interesting fact about 2001 Turbo Corolla's Tue, 15 November 2005 14:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i got quoted $121 for 4age japspec distributor CAP. piece of plastic Mad

got it half priced delivered frm toyota NZ Razz
mynameisrodney
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Useless but interesting fact about 2001 Turbo Corolla's Tue, 15 November 2005 23:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
st162 power window switches: $400 each
dingaling
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: Useless but interesting fact about 2001 Turbo Corolla's Wed, 16 November 2005 00:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
$1008 for a st-162 airflow meter (really just a fancy potentiometer with a big metal flap attached.)

Maybe your right about the $20,000 ECU, still just so fuckin unbelievable that its hard to believe Razz
EVOSTi
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      no
Re: Useless but interesting fact about 2001 Turbo Corolla's Wed, 16 November 2005 06:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cant help you out too much, my info is second hand. a customer of mine who had a turbo rolla for a couple of years asked a toyota dealership for a price, i cant remember how much exactly but it was insane i remember that much.

i remember when i rebuilt the motor the pistons were not standard 7afe items also, we needed a set of pistons as two were very visibly destroyed. from memory there were only two available from japan and thats all we could get so had to take a gamble on the other two which 'visually' looked ok.
turbo_rolla
Regular

June 2005
Re: Useless but interesting fact about 2001 Turbo Corolla's Wed, 16 November 2005 12:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
All good evo Very Happy Some interesting info though! I guess that the availablilty of some parts is also an issue with a engine that is quite unique. Definately worth it though Laughing I'll see if i can convince toyota that im after a genuine quote on an ECU and see what we can get up here Smile
1200det
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: Useless but interesting fact about 2001 Turbo Corolla's Thu, 17 November 2005 01:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just rang Toyota out of interest with the part number on the ECu and yes the price is $20,000 Fark me Smile
EVOSTi
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      no
Re: Useless but interesting fact about 2001 Turbo Corolla's Thu, 17 November 2005 05:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i was at peter warren's today picking up some parts, so i asked the dude for a price on the ecu. he was young and looked inexperienced and gave me the price of $1250, dunno if that was retail or trade. i said 'are you sure thats for the turbo sportivo model?' and he said it was, but i think it was most probably the standard 7afe price.
next time i ring my LOCAL toyota dealership i will ask, cause i know they wont brush me off, cause i worked there and they know me well Smile
1200det
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: Useless but interesting fact about 2001 Turbo Corolla's Thu, 17 November 2005 06:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My father managee Toyota spare parts here in canberra , I asked him to check it and actually nearly died when he seen the price and he thought it must have been some sort of mistake although the cost price is $8000 and retail $20,000

He did say that the part had to be looked up via a parts booklet released from Toyota australia as even the Microcat the Toyota australia EPC system only lists the non turbo ECU.

Toyota Australia has never sold any and are NIL stock Australia Smile I wonder why at that price

EVOSTi wrote on Thu, 17 November 2005 16:34

i was at peter warren's today picking up some parts, so i asked the dude for a price on the ecu. he was young and looked inexperienced and gave me the price of $1250, dunno if that was retail or trade. i said 'are you sure thats for the turbo sportivo model?' and he said it was, but i think it was most probably the standard 7afe price.
next time i ring my LOCAL toyota dealership i will ask, cause i know they wont brush me off, cause i worked there and they know me well Smile

turbo_rolla
Regular

June 2005
Re: Useless but interesting fact about 2001 Turbo Corolla's Thu, 17 November 2005 10:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nice work 1200 & evo! Good to see there's been confirmation of a price for it from other sources Very Happy A $12,000 markup is a bit of a suprise though, even for toyota Laughing That's almost as much as the cars are worth now! Imagine an insurance companies joy if ya made a claim for a standard ECU to be replaced if it was stolen and they came across that figure Shocked

[Updated on: Thu, 17 November 2005 10:51]

Johnny
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Useless but interesting fact about 2001 Turbo Corolla's Thu, 17 November 2005 13:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

you could buy and tune a few motec M800s for that much

At least they're gold in colour!
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: Useless but interesting fact about 2001 Turbo Corolla's Thu, 17 November 2005 22:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
haha wtf!

I wont complain about $22 for one headstud now Laughing
MR. 2
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: Useless but interesting fact about 2001 Turbo Corolla's Thu, 17 November 2005 23:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
this is carzy that the mark up is 12.000 $$$ just joes to show us how mcuh we get ripped off. even though we know we get ripped off this just prooves the mark up amount of about 60% + we pay.
turbo_rolla
Regular

June 2005
Re: Useless but interesting fact about 2001 Turbo Corolla's Fri, 18 November 2005 00:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah, its rubbish! THe only reason i could see that you would use geniunie parts is as a last resort or if your car is still in warranty.....once its out of warranty, goodbye toyota spare parts!!!! Very Happy
170bhp
Regular

January 2004
Re: Useless but interesting fact about 2001 Turbo Corolla's Fri, 18 November 2005 02:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
what's even funnier than the mark up is that I'm sure it doesn't cost the $8000 Toyota pay for it to make it!!!
-=DV=-
Regular

May 2004
Re: Useless but interesting fact about 2001 Turbo Corolla's Fri, 18 November 2005 03:19 Go to previous message
9000RPM wrote on Tue, 15 November 2005 18:43

-=DV=- wrote on Tue, 15 November 2005 18:20

$600 for a 162 front splitter (little $2 piece of plastic under the bumper) and $400 for each side piece...but then again...20k for a fucking ecu Surprised,toyota have no shame and theyre pricing is a fucking joke, it makes me sick

Im sure the front spoiler bits are only about $300-400 for all 3 bits.....

well thats great, now all u have to do is call charlestown toyota and tell them that, it seems they are somewhat unsure of the price and want to charge more than triple the actual price.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:get me some wheels
Next Topic:AE86 front clip on KE70?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 11:17:12 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0052011013031006 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.