Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
dave_101
Occasional Poster

October 2005
Strange idle on 4agze Wed, 16 November 2005 13:48 Go to next message
Hi All,

Anyone know what could be causing a strange idle on my AFM 4agze when I turn on the fan or sometimes the headlights?

It basicly sits on 1000rpm until I turn on the fan mainly, then I get a drop of 100rpm or so and it becomes a little eratic in it's idle. The A/C compressor is not hooked up either.

I am tending to think its some kinda of power problem, but im not expert at all.

Hope some of you might know what this is Smile

[Updated on: Wed, 16 November 2005 13:50]

Send a private message to this user    
hinricp
Regular

June 2002
Re: Strange idle on 4agze Thu, 17 November 2005 01:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I know they run an IAC motor but did you wire the idle up input to the ECU?
mic*
Regular

July 2005
Re: Strange idle on 4agze Thu, 17 November 2005 06:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Small drop is not that abnormal in my experience. If it drops to 900 from 1000 tho, 900 should still be a stable idle speed...

When did problem start? What has changed since problem was not there? ...these are your first questions for any diagnosis problem, and if you want help with a diagnosis, answer them in your post to save being asked (or ignored Wink)
dave_101
Occasional Poster

October 2005
Re: Strange idle on 4agze Thu, 17 November 2005 10:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for the replys guys.

I just bought the car 4-weeks ago, did not do the conversion myself. The problem has been there since I got it. Confused

I noticed a drop in voltage when I turn on the fan, right after that the revs drop and idle becomes funny. It has a fairy cheap battery in it, could this not be supplying enough current at idle?

BigWillieStyles
Regular

October 2005
Re: Strange idle on 4agze Thu, 17 November 2005 12:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
new, bigger alternator perhaps!

All cars change slightly when you turn lights on, remember that the alternator is what drives the power for the car, the battery is the support system and backup.

But 100rpm sounds like nothing!
dave_101
Occasional Poster

October 2005
Re: Strange idle on 4agze Thu, 17 November 2005 13:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
That kinda makes some sence, thanks man. Cause when I was looking under the car the other day, I noticed that the alternator looked kinda new. So it would not supprise me the orignal one died, and the guy I got it off bought the cheapest one he could find.

Thanks for the replies everyone. Smile

mic*
Regular

July 2005
Re: Strange idle on 4agze Thu, 17 November 2005 22:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
That or your alternator not keeping it chrged enough is a good place to start...

THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: Strange idle on 4agze Fri, 18 November 2005 05:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i would say the more likely scenario is that "ELS1" and "ELS2" are not wired up correctly.

These are "electrical load sensor" wires that pick up a drop in voltage (ie, large electrical load), and thus the ECU will increase idle speed to compensate.

dave_101
Occasional Poster

October 2005
Re: Strange idle on 4agze Fri, 18 November 2005 08:46 Go to previous message
Cool, thanks for that info WITZL.

I have it booked in on Monday for a checkup, so I will get them to check those connections.

Thanks again

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:3SGTE RA60 conversion
Next Topic:How can i change the ignition curve on my STD ECU?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 03:29:01 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0057790279388428 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.